Shadow PC client app removed from the IOS app store by apple

Regulator_Nearby

Summary

Apple has removed the Shadow PC client app from its app store. It is unclear why they have made this move. The client app did not allow customers to create accounts or buy anything only access their existing shadow virtual machine. For those who do not know, shadow is a cloud gaming service, that unlike most allows you access to a full computer that you can run any software you like on it. This is the second time their app has been temporarily removed.

Quotes

during the review of our most recent app update, Apple’s team rejected and removed the Shadow iOS, iPadOS & tvOS apps from the App Store. As it stands, the apps are no longer available for download. 

My thoughts

This is usual behavior for apple. Many people, including me are very worried that this is not anther accident and apple has found that they do have major problems with the app and are not going to allow this service to exist on their platform. This sort of behavior is the biggest problem with the app store, that goes beyond their 30% cut; Apple arbitrarily withdraws access to their platform giving users no recourse to get an app. Shadow is not like some apps that can just fall back on getting their users to use a web app. Their low latency system requires an actual application.

Sources

https://forum.shadow.tech/news-announcements-42/shadow-removed-from-apple-app-store-what-you-should-know-2314

probably because through a VM a user could use any payment platform on any service theyw anted through the app.

also apple's content guidelines can't apply, so users could view content that is not allowed by the app store, etc etc etc.

this is common sense...

She/Her

5 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

probably because through a VM a user could use any payment platform on any service theyw anted through the app.

also apple's content guidelines can't apply, so users could view content that is not allowed by the app store, etc etc etc.

this is common sense...

This is about a fallacious as its possible to get...

Why should Apple be allowed to control what I do on my device that I bought myself and have legal ownership rights over?

Apple can do what they want on their own store but stopping their customers from going off platform entirely is a huge overstep and something they don't really have any right to do.

At the turn of the Century MS were dragged through court and were within a knats pube of being split up for being anti consumer & monopolistic. What did they do? They bundled Internet Explorer with Windows and killed off Netscape. Here we are 21 years later and Apple don't allow their users to install anything that hasn't been specifically approved by them and retain the power to remove anything they like for any reason they like with no questions asked and somehow this is OK?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

Why should Apple be allowed to control what I do on my device that I bought myself and have legal ownership rights over?

you sign an agreement. it's as easy as that.

i'd much rather have apple's controlled ecosystem than the malware filled wreck that is android's ecosystem

She/Her

1 hour ago, Ashley xD said:

Literally all of this applies to every web browser as well, including the pre-installed Safari. This does not make any sense at all.

Same goes for VNC clients, Microsofts Remote desktop client and literally all the other remote viewers that are still on the App store.

Eh

They signed up to this the moment they decided to buy an iDevice. Either abbandon the ship or start enjoying eating shit. The choice is theirs.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

7 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

you sign an agreement. it's as easy as that.

Not really. Name me one other electrical device (or indeed wider consumer electronics in general) you buy that comes with the same restrictions? They all come with a ToS but nobody except Apple thinks they can get away with telling users how they can use their own device.

Imagine you bought a fridge, you get home and the ToS say you're not allowed to use it to store milk, if you do put milk in it then they have the right to come to your house in the middle of the night, break in and remove it.

Apples refusal to allow any off platform use at all is both anti consumer & monopolistic.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 hours ago, Ashley xD said:

this is common sense...

When a company has as much pull as Apple does, and is the only distributer of software then there should be regulations in place preventing them from doing so.

Mainly, they should be treating everything equally (which they don't) and not giving priority to themselves.  It's the same thing about Google searches, Google gets in trouble for promoting their services over others.  I can understand the concept of protecting the users from things such as malware, and I do agree that Apple should be allowed to remove things from the App store...but only if they allow an alternatives (or they do things fairly).

Examples being Apple Arcade, or the fact that they can undercut competition because the competition gets a 30% hit (vs Apple who can run their subscription services without the 30% overhead)

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

Apple doesn't sell devices.

They sell the privilege to make yourself dependent on devices that ultimately they control.

2 hours ago, Dracarris said:

Literally all of this applies to every web browser as well, including the pre-installed Safari. This does not make any sense at all.

Same goes for VNC clients, Microsofts Remote desktop client and literally all the other remote viewers that are still on the App store.

Ya, I can go to safari and buy a Samsung phone and you know Apple won’t be getting a cut

8 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

Eh

They signed up to this the moment they decided to buy an iDevice. Either abbandon the ship or start enjoying eating shit. The choice is theirs.

part of the ToS for buying an iDevice will soon come with the clause "upon purchase of this device and all future Apple products, please provide us with the equivalent of 100 bricks and/or plants to contribute towards our glorious walled garden, iCustomer"

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

15 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

At the turn of the Century MS were dragged through court and were within a knats pube of being split up for being anti consumer & monopolistic. What did they do? They bundled Internet Explorer with Windows and killed off Netscape. Here we are 21 years later and Apple don't allow their users to install anything that hasn't been specifically approved by them and retain the power to remove anything they like for any reason they like with no questions asked and somehow this is OK?

Because the antitrust acts specify that you have to use your market position for an advantage.  Apple has been doing this behavior since the very beginning before they had market position.

Antitrust laws are not meant to punish companies for being successful with a business model.

You also have a boat of Android options if you really want to install Shadow PC on your phone.  Apple is not even the biggest cell phone manufacturer.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

17 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Because the antitrust acts specify that you have to use your market position for an advantage.  Apple has been doing this behavior since the very beginning before they had market position.

What? Ignoring the fact this is self contradictory, what you're saying is, as long as I start murdering people before I have any legal responsibility for my actions its OK to carry on murdering people as an adult? If I start murdering at age 6 then I can carry on for my entire life and nobody can do anything about it because I started before it was a problem?

Police Officer: Why did you kill that person?

Me: Its fine officer, I've been killing since before I was responsible therefore I am 100% absolved from any responsibility now

Police Office: ???

Antitrust laws are not meant to punish companies for being successful with a business model.

You're right, they're designed to stop companies from being anti consumer & monopolistic. Having a successful business model is not mutually exclusive from being anti consumer though.

You also have a boat of Android options if you really want to install Shadow PC on your phone.  Apple is not even the biggest cell phone manufacturer.

And this helps Apple customers how exactly?