Intel Iris Xe video cards now shipping to OEMs, DG1 lands in desktops

illegalwater

Colorful-DG1.jpg

Following plans first unveiled last year during the launch of their DG1 GPU, Intel sends word this morning that the first Iris Xe video cards have finally begun shipping to OEMs. Based on the DG1 discrete GPU that’s already being used in Intel’s Iris Xe MAX laptop accelerators, the Iris Xe family of video cards are their desktop counterpart, implementing the GPU on a traditional video card. Overall, with specifications almost identical to Xe MAX, Intel is similarly positioning these cards for the entry-level market, where they are being released as an OEM-only part.

As a quick refresher, the DG1 GPU is based on the same Xe-LP graphics architecture as Tiger Lake’s integrated GPU. In fact, in broad terms the DG1 can be thought of as a nearly 1-to-1 discrete version of that iGPU, containing the same 96 EUs and 128-bit LPDDR4X memory interface as Tiger Lake itself. Consequently, while DG1 is a big first step for Intel – marking the launch of their first discrete GPU of the modern era – the company is planning very modestly for this generation of parts.

It's still just a glorified iGPU.. but we're one step closer to Intel joining Nvidia and AMD as a major player in the GPU market.

Source

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16450/intel-iris-xe-video-cards-now-shipping-to-oems-dg1-lands-in-desktops

Dell S2721DGF - RTX 3070 XC3 - i5 12600K

This card as is makes no sense. What card is this competing against? GT1030? Anyways, I guess they all gotta start from somewhere, I just wished it was something more prominent. 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1 minute ago, Levent said:

This card as is makes no sense. What card is this competing against? GT1030? Anyways, I guess they all gotta start from somewhere, I just wished it would be something more prominent. 

gotta have something for that 10700F that doesn't have an iGPU

/s

their plan is to stitch together multiple slow units into one fast unit, the way AMD does it with cores. I guess they'll ramp the designs up over time.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, Levent said:

What card is this competing against? GT1030?

i feel attacked cuz i am still rocking the gtx 710...

LTT did a vid on upgrading the pc I bought, tho. Dell Optiplex.

13 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Now we need NVIDIA to make desktop CPUs.

they cant

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

Just now, jaslion said:

Yet. They wanna buy arm.

arm's market share in desktop is close to 0 anyway

Just now, Benji said:

That will change with the advent of ARM-powered laptops running macOS ARM and Windows on ARM. Because, you know, once Apple does it everyone does it as well. And why not? Half of the x86 extensions that are in the CPUs are largely unused and ARM is way more flexible in that regard, so I can definitely see that happening in the future.

true but better arm processors from apple are a bit far

Just now, Benji said:

Given the fact that they actually compete successfully with mobile x86 processors, why would they want anything "faster"? Not to mention that one of the major reasons for the bad Windows on ARM experience is the (apparently) badly written OS, not the SoCs themselves.

because their lead engineer founded a company named nuvia and qualcomm bought that comny a while back so basically the situation with intel

Why does it look like they ripped off an MSI cooler ??

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

If that's the real picture then it definitely looks cheap, like a plastic toy

Just look at those heatsinks geez

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

For those that didn't click through to the source, the image is apparently the offering from Colorful. The Asus model below is fanless and looks nice to me.

Asus-DG1_678x452.jpg.26874ffb80733e21e075bbff19042347.jpg

While I know these are not high performance parts, simply because they are new I kinda want to get one to play with. Although they're supposed to be OEM only, I'm sure sooner or later they'll appear for general sale.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

If the Linux drivers are 100% open source, I could see myself buying it. Intel has traditionally contributed a lot to open source projects including the kernel.

AMD's driver is open & powerful but it needs to load a firmware blob in order to use it. As for NVIDIA... we don't talk about NVIDIA's linux driver 🙂

2 hours ago, Levent said:

This card as is makes no sense. What card is this competing against? GT1030? Anyways, I guess they all gotta start from somewhere, I just wished it was something more prominent. 

For a media PC, this card is better than the GT1030.

That's about it though...

1 hour ago, givingtnt said:

My guess is that MSI just made it?

That would make the most sense. MSI is known to make a bunch of OEM motherboards and they have experience with graphics cards so it wouldn't surprise me they also make OEM graphics cards for Intel.

It's the same with Cooler master making the stock coolers for AMD and a bunch of reference Nvidia GPU's (we know they make coolers for Quadro cards)

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

2 hours ago, illegalwater said:

Colorful-DG1.jpg

It's still just a glorified iGPU.. but we're one step closer to Intel joining Nvidia and AMD as a major player in the GPU market.

Source

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16450/intel-iris-xe-video-cards-now-shipping-to-oems-dg1-lands-in-desktops

I'll say the same thing I said on the thread about the the GT 1010,

Who exactly is this marketed at? The only thing Intel can produce with this would be an encoder/decoder card for a media system, which is something the 1030 can't do. Otherwise, the iGPU parts on the intel CPU's are usually just as sufficient.

According to Intel's own marketing the DG1 is meant for mobile.Intel-4_18_575px.jpg

4 hours ago, Levent said:

Keep in mind that while it may have the same core configuration as iGPUs in Intel CPU products it will have a higher power limit so will perform better, so even if it were paired with an Intel CPU with the same iGPU core it'll have greater performance. Also they have dedicated VRAM and higher effective bandwidth so that'll also increase performance.

Very much looking forward to reviews of these, no matter how underwhelming the raw performance they might have it'll be damn interesting to see.

Whatever it is, it's nice to see a 3rd player in graphics segment after a LOOOOONG while. I hope Intel will be able to compete on the mid and high end segment too. Coz that will be really awesome for us consumers. Also if their chips are capable enough yet can be passively cooled, that's also pretty cool. Also backup graphic cards. Either for transitions as you're waiting for new card to arrive if you sell it upfront or just as troubleshooting tool. It's why I still have GeForce 8400GS around that I bought as backup when my main card died. And I still have it around as backup. It can run Half-Life 2 somewhat and I can browse and watch movies which is fine. 🙂

Anyway, can't wait to see benchmarks/reviews of it.

2 hours ago, porina said:

For those that didn't click through to the source, the image is apparently the offering from Colorful. The Asus model below is fanless and looks nice to me.

Asus-DG1_678x452.jpg.26874ffb80733e21e075bbff19042347.jpg

While I know these are not high performance parts, simply because they are new I kinda want to get one to play with. Although they're supposed to be OEM only, I'm sure sooner or later they'll appear for general sale.

Do you think they'll work for Hackintoshing?

elephants

4 hours ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Now we need NVIDIA to make desktop CPUs.

ARM. . . 👀

4 hours ago, givingtnt said:

Looks a lot like PowerColor's Red Dragon coolers, with the color scheme sort of stolen.

18 hours ago, Kisai said:

Otherwise, the iGPU parts on the intel CPU's are usually just as sufficient.

low-end GPUs aren't aimed at people with modern iGPUs, although since this one is OEM-only, the only way this makes sense is if it's paired with an f series processor, or for adding more display-outs to OEM systems

I would've really liked these to also be available in the open market, it would have a much better adoption rate IMO

I want of these for my mom's PC so she can run more screens and having some amount of grunt but without a high power budget or being loud. She records videos for classes and can't drive all the screens off the motherboard provided ports. I'm looking into getting one.

Level 2 Tech Support for a Corporation servicing over 12,000 users and devices, AMA

Desktop - CPU: Ryzen 5800x3D | GPU: Sapphire 6900 XT Nitro+ SE | Mobo: Asus x570 TUF | RAM: 32GB CL15 3600 | PSU: EVGA 850 GA | Case: Corsair 450D | Storage: Several | Cooling: Brown | Thermal Paste: Yes

Laptop - Dell G15 | i7-11800H | RTX 3060 | 16GB CL22 3200

Plex - Lenovo M93p Tiny | Ubuntu | Intel 4570T | 8GB RAM | 2x 8TB WD RED Plus