Best cheap GB/GBC/GBA portable emulator?

Stlerfn

I have recently joined the retro game craze and have been looking at a good way to play game boy games on the go. I would like to do this without shelling out a lot of money too. What would be the best option? Thanks for any help.

EDIT: I do own a few copies of gb games so no piracy

Dumping your own games and getting an emulator. We dont condone piracy and I believe roms for it counts

Chicago Bears fan, Bear Down

22 minutes ago, Stlerfn said:

What would be the best option?

Depends a lot on your preferences, like e.g. would using your phone for emulation be acceptable? That would be the cheapest option, since all you'd need in addition would be one or another kind of a Bluetooth - controller to use with it and there are a billion options for that.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just get a Gameboy Advance SP... there are many out there for next to nothing. Nothing like experiencing such games on genuine hardware. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

-> Moved to Console Gaming

Just note that asking help on piracy is not allowed. You would still need to own/buy original games, or use Nintendo's own store's on newer consoles. Talking about emulation by itself is fine.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

38 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

-> Moved to Console Gaming

Just note that asking help on piracy is not allowed. You would still need to own/buy original games, or use Nintendo's own store's on newer consoles. Talking about emulation by itself is fine.

I apologize about the confusion, the reason I got into retro gaming is because I dug up some old GB games. I probably should have specified that

Just now, Stlerfn said:

I apologize about the confusion, the reason I got into retro gaming is because I dug up some old GB games. I probably should have specified that

That would have eased some minds, and left just note about moving. General Discussion is only for threads that do not fit other subforums. This one could go to Programs also.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

4 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

That would have eased some minds, and left just note about moving. General Discussion is only for threads that do not fit other subforums. This one could go to Programs also.

I do apologize about that as well, I was not sure where this would best fit.

7 hours ago, SlashedM said:

Dumping your own games and getting an emulator. We dont condone piracy and I believe roms for it counts

I apologize about the confusion, I have found a few GB games in an old box and that is why I am interested. I would strictly be playing those

10 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Just get a Gameboy Advance SP... there are many out there for next to nothing. Nothing like experiencing such games on genuine hardware. 

This was my original idea but I am having trouble locating one in decent condition for under 100$

5 hours ago, Stlerfn said:

This was my original idea but I am having trouble locating one in decent condition for under 100$

Sucks, before the pandemic struck when I used to go game hunting at flea markets I'd see nice looking GBA SP cheap everywhere. DS too, those things tanked in value thanks to 3DS being able to play DS games.

7 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Sucks, before the pandemic struck when I used to go game hunting at flea markets I'd see nice looking GBA SP cheap everywhere. DS too, those things tanked in value thanks to 3DS being able to play DS games.

I much would have preferred to get a real GBA, not only will it be a real GBA, it avoids the whole rom stuff. I ended up setting on the BittBoy Pocket Go 1, which wasn’t my first choice because it takes 20-25 business days to get delivered, which sucks.

On 1/18/2021 at 11:43 PM, Stlerfn said:

I much would have preferred to get a real GBA, not only will it be a real GBA, it avoids the whole rom stuff. I ended up setting on the BittBoy Pocket Go 1, which wasn’t my first choice because it takes 20-25 business days to get delivered, which sucks.

Using RetroArch on Android with the No$GBA core is pretty good. Bigger part of the thing would be dumping your Roms which you need some sort of hardware to get the GBA game to your PC

Just here for some fun.

✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦

PC Build 1: Great Ape (Main Rig) > https://pcpartpicker.com/user/DJ_saiyanprince/saved/nKjHGX

CPU: Ryzen 3700X

GPU: ASUS GTX 1070Ti 8GB ROG STRIX
PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750 W

Mobo: MSI MPG B550 GAMING CARBON WIFI

Case: Corsair 4000D

PC Build 2: Piccolo (Emulation/ITX/Transportable) > https://pcpartpicker.com/user/DJ_saiyanprince/saved/tDBdHx

CPU: Intel i5-11400

GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 3GB SC
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA GM 550 W

Mobo: ASRock Z590M-ITX/ax

Case: Silverstone RVZ03

✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦

♪♫ "2-to the-1-to the-1-to the-3 I like good OC and RGB. Configure so much, you wouldn't believe. And I get more blue screen than a Walmart PC" ♪♫