Loramentum - A watercooled, wall mounted rig - Fan and lighting upgrade! 27/01/17

Maki Role

If you are considering other materials, I've heard polycarbonate is more impact-resistant, but less scratch-resistant. It's what the see-through Macs were made of, back in the day. Sorry to hear about this setback. This was one of my favourite rigs on the forum.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

I cried almost cried at the point of seeing that picture!

So I spelt something wrong in my post... I don't care I don't read through what I write and I type very quickly.

Intel 3770k stock, MSI Z77A-GD65, MSI GTX 760, Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600Mhz 16Gb, Corsair RM 550W, Samsung 830 256Gb, some random hdds.

One of the best builds i have seen on the 'net. Well done fella:-)

Sorry to hear you dropped it.

I've done that plenty of times in the past. The meds I take make me a bit drowsy and a little dizzy and I've had plenty of accidents. The other day for example I wasn't concentrating and was using a hole saw with my face really close to the drill handle. The drill bit in, span around and whacked me on the face. Another inch and I would have a secondary break in my nose.. Had a nice bruise, looked like I'd been fighting..

I hope you can turn it around dude. It really, really sucks when you break something that you poured so much effort into.

Good luck my friend.

Ed. Hopefully you can picture my accident and get a laugh out of it. My fiancée certainly did :D

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

I am sure you learn the skills along the way. Just like I do in flying. :)

How to you stretch funds though? I go on pcpartpicker and find myself way over budget before I can even think about modding and watercooling.

I tend to work the other way round I reckon, I come up with a design, check my budget, then build the components around that.  It makes it much easier to compromise in the right areas.  I also tend to overestimate my budget to allow for hiccups and difficulties, that way even if something bad like this happens, I can fix things up pretty easily.

That's not good :(

It actually may end up being a bonus, I've managed to cut the weight of the new one by 45% or so :D

/ sadface

ah well, a new one and better

too bad that these plastics break this way (not that it would be anything different from this height)

Yeah it's not ideal, guess it's an issue with using any clear substance, they're invariably far more brittle when at any decent thickness.  Still, the new one's a definite improvement so there's that.

u make mi cri  :(

It's k, I fix evrytim

:(

ALL I HAVE TO SAY.....

And from the ashes, it shall be born again even more majestic

*Came back from school in excitement to see this update*

*Sees the tragedy*

*Deletes homework in shock and horror*

*Dies*

Oh... Well that was an unintended side effect. :(

You're a smart guy, I'm sure that you'll make it better than ever before!

Bah tbh it's not hard to make a block better than the old one.  It was heavy, cumbersome and inefficient to mill, I'll try to improve on as many of those areas as I can.

If you are considering other materials, I've heard polycarbonate is more impact-resistant, but less scratch-resistant. It's what the see-through Macs were made of, back in the day. Sorry to hear about this setback. This was one of my favourite rigs on the forum.

Funny you should mention that, that's exactly what I was planning.  I used 10mm polycarbonate for the stand as I figured it may suffer a few knocks.  One of the key reasons for reducing each side to 10mm was so that I could use different materials (poly is hard/expensive to find in thicker plates than that).  Scratching doesn't really matter as the front's hidden anyway.

I cried almost cried at the point of seeing that picture!

You and me both man

One of the best builds i have seen on the 'net. Well done fella:-)

Thanks!

Sorry to hear you dropped it.

I've done that plenty of times in the past. The meds I take make me a bit drowsy and a little dizzy and I've had plenty of accidents. The other day for example I wasn't concentrating and was using a hole saw with my face really close to the drill handle. The drill bit in, span around and whacked me on the face. Another inch and I would have a secondary break in my nose.. Had a nice bruise, looked like I'd been fighting..

I hope you can turn it around dude. It really, really sucks when you break something that you poured so much effort into.

Good luck my friend.

Ed. Hopefully you can picture my accident and get a laugh out of it. My fiancée certainly did :D

Cheers for dropping by Andy, yeah I'm sure this will turn around and be much better than it was before.  Funnily enough, I was actually laughing maniacally when I realised what had happened to the block.  Not much else I could do really that launch into how I would fix it.  Fortunately I had been saving for a new prime lens for my camera, so I have the funds to make a replacement.  Although that does mean putting off my photography investment for a bit :(

That drill accident sounds rather painful rofl, had my fair share of "What was I bloody thinking?" moments too, had one with a lathe a few years back that could have ended much worse than it did.

UPDATE!

Right everybody, I finished up the new block 3D model last night, this should be rather interesting if I can get it milled in time.  I've reduced the total weight by roughly 45%, hopefully without sacrificing strength either.  This'll make it much easier to carry around.

I did a couple quick renders to show the new design, should be much more interesting than the last one.

QWcAT6.png

Bottom

Wn6dx6.png

I also went and uploaded all those files that I mentioned earlier.  So if you'd like any of them, simply download away.  I've included the Inventor files (which should work with a number of Pro CAD apps) and I think also a .stl version, although I didn't check all of them to see if that was present.  The .stl will work very well for packages like 3DS Max or Blender, not sure about Sketchup but it may work.  The Inventor .stl exporter is very clean and results in good meshes, I used those versions for all the renders.  Naturally these are without materials as those were done in Blender Cycles.  I've tried uploading those before but they tend to break.  If you're a Cycles user and are interested in the materials, I'll happily share a node tree screenshot of any ones you like.  Click the titles to be taken to the download page. @CtW @EmeraldFlame @HippY

PSU - Corsair RM650 (doesn't include fan and grill I think, made those in Blender)

p65o.png

1ivn.png

RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum

10ya.png

CPU Block - EK Supremacy Clean CSQ (sorry the legs are from the Raystorm, couldn't be bothered to make new ones)

d6n0.png

EK D5 Vario with Pump Top (Wires not present in model)

5vmq.png

rzf0.png

Radiator -  XSPC EX360 XFlow (Rad fins not in model)

i1pk.png

CPU Block - XSPC Raystorm

ssnz.png

8wdz.png

GPU/Block - AMD R9 290 with EK Full Cover Block

dfw4.png

Mobo - Asus Z87I-Pro (block not in this model)

w5if.png

SSD - Samsung 840 Evo (No render sadly, not sure if it has the power ports either, right size though)

Finished Projects: Loramentum, VesperModerne, ExsectusAetos

Current Project: Parvum Argentum

Those renders are better than real life

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

What program did you use to make those models?

i7 4790k | ASUS Z97 Gryphon | 8GB Corsair XMS3 1333Mhz | Asus Direct CUII GTX 770 1267/3829 | Stock Cooler | Antec Neo Eco 520W | WD Green 1TB

Silverstone TJ08-e | Klipsch Promedia 2.1 | Razer Tiamat 2.2 | LG 24EN43VS | Razer Naga (2010) | Razer Lycosa (2010)

Planned PC Upgrades: https://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=wish_lists&wlcId=325661&action=wish_lists

My eyes are having an orgasm every time I see update pics. 

60FPS Microwave

Intel Core i5-4670K | Galax GTX 970 EXOC | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | Team Elite 8GB 1600MHz | Gelid Black Edition | Samsung slowdown + WD Blue 1TB x2 | Cooler Master V550 | Corsair K65 + Logitech G100s | MasterCase Pro 3

At first I thought this was going to be just a render and not a real build, now I have seen the pure epicness that you did (I can't even afford that GPU), then I have seen the fall of it, and now IT SHALL RISE AGAIN!

I followed this topic since its early stages

It's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature!

I cannot wait for revision 2 :)

Maybe attach like loads of helium balloons so if you drop it again it will just hover in place.........

Ok maybe thats a bad idea

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

@ALXAndy

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA the image I got from that was insanely funny. Thanks for the laughs :D

Thanks everybody, glad you like them! :D

I used Autodesk Inventor to make the ones I shared above. The details like wiring or fans I made in Blender

You can make stuff from inventor look this good?

Damn, my skills are suddenly lacking

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Please fix it. It's unbearable. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

@Maki Role

I'm working on a custom case. once I get the first version ready, would you mind taking a look at my inventor files? I am worried about the rear IO mounting and the like (IE, would PCIe cards and the mobo fit correctly) of course, I'd also like your criticism on the aesthetic and the rest of the internals.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

You can make stuff from inventor look this good?

Damn, my skills are suddenly lacking

Bah if you analyse the models you'll see that they're actually all very simple. Most are just cuboids with parts cut out of them, considering many are CNC machined, that makes sense though as 3-axis machining is much cheaper and quicker. Careful thought in the rendering side can make anything look good, you just need to consider each material carefully. Most people skimp out on this stage and use something like Keyshot or whack it into Indigo/Luxrender/vray with basic materials and lighting, so they end up not quite looking right.

Please fix it. It's unbearable.

No kidding, working on getting that rectified ASAP.

@Maki Role

I'm working on a custom case. once I get the first version ready, would you mind taking a look at my inventor files? I am worried about the rear IO mounting and the like (IE, would PCIe cards and the mobo fit correctly) of course, I'd also like your criticism on the aesthetic and the rest of the internals.

Sure I'd love to help out, sounds like an exciting project!

Thanks for the models, I'll use part of them as a reference or so in my own PC design!
Also, is there a 3D model "database" topic on LTT? There should be where everyone could share their parts.
Looking forward to the new "block".

The renders are just epic, I really want to know how you "textured" them like with the PCB and all the text, it that just an overlay or did you model them yourself, either way, still freaking epic? I aspire to be as good as you.

CPU Intel Core i7-4790K  | Motherboard Asus Sabertooth z97 Mark 1 | RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 16gb 1866mhz | GPU EVGA GeForce GTX 980 w/ ACX 2.0 | Case Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window | Storage Western Digital BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM + Samsung 840 EVO 250GB |  PSU Corsiar RM750 | Display(s) Some Acer Things | Cooling Corsair H100i + 5x Noctua NF-F12 industrial 120mm fans(they are freaking load) | Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K95 |  Mouse Logitech G502 | Sound Audio-Technica AD900x + 02+ODAC +AT2020 | OS Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 

Thanks for the models, I'll use part of them as a reference or so in my own PC design!

Also, is there a 3D model "database" topic on LTT? There should be where everyone could share their parts.

Looking forward to the new "block".

I would love for this to be a thing. Rear IO is the hardest thing to get right, and while I think I've got it, I would really appreciate knowing it was. once I've got it down pat I'll upload my rear IO and mobo tray  models. I would expect that other people would be altering them for their own uses.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

I would love for this to be a thing. Rear IO is the hardest thing to get right, and while I think I've got it, I would really appreciate knowing it was. once I've got it down pat I'll upload my rear IO and mobo tray  models. I would expect that other people would be altering them for their own uses.

I could model a few parts but it's hard to get good schematics and drawings. Usually only a few/key dimensions are marked. And I don't feel like taking apart my compooper.

If you're working in CAD based programs it's not hard to resize some distances or dimensions (like Solidworks or Inventor)

I like doing things like these but it's usually easier if you have the part in your hands and you can measure everything.

I've some 180mm alphacool rads I did yesterday if anyone's interested.

If someone makes a "share your PC part models" topic please let me know.

I could model a few parts but it's hard to get good schematics and drawings. Usually only a few/key dimensions are marked. And I don't feel like taking apart my compooper.

If you're working in CAD based programs it's not hard to resize some distances or dimensions (like Solidworks or Inventor)

I like doing things like these but it's usually easier if you have the part in your hands and you can measure everything.

I've some 180mm alphacool rads I did yesterday if anyone's interested.

If someone makes a "share your PC part models" topic please let me know.

I use inventor.

there's the ATX specifications and the PCIe specifications. if it fits those two then it should be fine. (those have been what I've been referring to)

Daily Driver:

Basically you mean something like this?

Yeah that would be really helpful, although it would need a bit more structure than the Bit-Tech one. The problem there was that although many of the models were on the repository site, it still had to be managed by one individual. Eventually he said that he wouldn't be able to continue anymore, which made things problematic. Also, because it was primarily a sketchup database, you couldn't upload files from other programs.

Perhaps a good way of managing it would be a google form of sorts? Then it can be easily sorted and expanded and curatorship easily passed on to other people. For small files <2mb you could upload to LTT and then link the post in the form, larger files like the ones I posted would simply be hosted externally and linked in the same way. Then you just add categories for things like file type, software package and part type.

That way you have an easy to manage file repository that can be quickly sorted, at the same time, the users can submit their own models meaning mods/staff don't need to lift a finger. Certainly sounds doable enough, would be similar to how some sites rank benchmark results (Blenderartists did this very well for CUDA rendering results so people could see what GPUs were worth buying).

I have decided, that this build could only be better if it was made of chocolate and heroin

Just saying

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii