Google Services had gone down in multiple places, mostly back online! (Authentication System Outage for 15 minutes)

16 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

I heard this was related to SolarWind.

But how does the search engine and services part stay intact while the account system goes down?

On a side note, I'd have loved it if the YouTube algorithm had been erased.

1 minute ago, StinkBreath said:

It's not just Google, as Discord was also down at the time. 

Discord uses Google Cloud Services so not surprising it was affected.

I've seen 'news' reports on this across MSM, and the de-facto response is ..oh must be Russia, or must be China...

Seriously, the Fk has happened to real journalism? :(

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

3 minutes ago, AvMaverick said:

But how does the search engine and services part stay intact while the account system goes down?

It's related to how SolarWind is integrated into Google's infrastructure, I don't have any details on that though. All I know is that it COULD be related to SolarWind and the exploit that was discovered.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

You know what's good side of not using anything Google? Wasn't affected at all lol What sucks is how many 3rd party services depend on Google's crap and also get affected.

4 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Yeah I thought so, Google is so big nowadays that if it goes down, it takes everything with it

<sample text>

Just now, RejZoR said:

You know what's good side of not using anything Google? Wasn't affected at all lol What sucks is how many 3rd party services depend on Google's crap and also get affected.

This topic is the first I knew of it and without it I would likely never have known

37 minutes ago, leadeater said:

This topic is the first I knew of it and without it I would likely never have known

There are memes floating about it already XD

@AvMaverick

Thanks for the Tweet update from Google ;

So it wasn't related to SolarWind, but rather something a lot more commun ; storage issues !! lol

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

I resived a email saying google is down for school

I think that's a lie or its fixed

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

1 minute ago, wkdpaul said:

@AvMaverick

Welcome! Added to topic too!

1 minute ago, wkdpaul said:

So it wasn't related to SolarWind, but rather something a lot more commun ; storage issues !! lol

But... Google's storage problems are becoming a recurring pattern. Drive Trash being deleted, unlimited Photos entering a paywall, and killing inactive 2+ year old accounts. I can sense a pattern here. 

2 minutes ago, sub68 said:

I resived a email saying google is down for school

I think that's a lie or its fixed

It was, now fixed

7 hours ago, AvMaverick said:

Moreover, seems like Google's running out of storage. They are aggressively deleting old accounts that have been unresponsive for 2+ years, deleting trash after 30 days, and ending Photos unlimited storage. All these storage saving measures and a storage related outage point to one thing: We might be nearing the point of saturation of the internet.

image.png.a9821f1fe38c744b3572099c4e77132e.png

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

3 hours ago, AvMaverick said:

Welcome! Added to topic too!

But... Google's storage problems are becoming a recurring pattern. Drive Trash being deleted, unlimited Photos entering a paywall, and killing inactive 2+ year old accounts. I can sense a pattern here. 

yeah a huge pattern of deleting old unused data. just normal cost-benefit. they could keep adding storage orrrrrrr they could just delete data that isn't used + inactive accounts which is pretty normal?

nah you're right, the internet is just full instead.

8 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

@AvMaverick

Google Engineer: "I need to apply a new storage quota. Is the input value supposed to be in bytes or kilobytes? Oh well, guess we'll find out"........ "Well it wasn't kilobytes, oops"

9 hours ago, _Obi_Wan_Kenobi_ said:

more apps have just gone down according to downdetector.com! could this be the work of Russia

(Redacted) also has allies that use Google services. I don't like how everything going down in the (Redacted) is supposed to be (Redacted). It could be (Redacted) too!

1 hour ago, AvMaverick said:

Russia also has allies that use Google services. I don't like how everything going down in the US is supposed to be Russia. It could be China too!

Why does nobody think it could have been New Zealand? 😢

But really when it comes to computer systems odds are it is a technical or administrative issue, jumping to hacking and nation state blaming is whole heartedly premature (plus ya know, forum rules around politics 😉).

29 minutes ago, leadeater said:

But really when it comes to computer systems odds are it is a technical or administrative issue, jumping to hacking and nation state blaming is whole heartedly premature (plus ya know, forum rules around politics 😉).

I know, it was satire that people starting blaming nations. We haven't reached perfect software/hardware yet, and issues do happen sometimes

2 minutes ago, AvMaverick said:

I know, it was satire that people starting blaming nations. We haven't reached perfect software/hardware yet, and issues do happen sometimes

Yea I knew that was what you were doing, I just wanted an excuse to make the New Zealand joke 🙃

7 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Yea I knew that was what you were doing, I just wanted an excuse to make the New Zealand joke 🙃

It's YOUR fault, you took all the SSD's for that stupid solid state server build!

2 minutes ago, Bitter said:

It's YOUR fault, you took all the SSD's for that stupid solid state server build!

Well I only have around 10 SSDs, I have nothing to do with LTT and Linus other than to tell Linus he's doing it wrong (those Intel 750 NVMe SSDs I told him not to use, but he's seen the light on that one now). @Windows7gehas more SSDs and SSD capacity than I do.

14 hours ago, leadeater said:

Discord was not affected that much for me, well, it was slower but it still worked.

Either that or I missed the window where it was actually down and it was just slower right after it worked again.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking