Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Google Services had gone down in multiple places, mostly back online! (Authentication System Outage for 15 minutes)

Summary

Google services seem to be down in multiple areas, with no uniform characteristics known. YouTube is almost uniformly out everywhere, whereas other services like Docs, Meet, Classroom, Assistant seem to be a hit or miss depending on various locations. Mostly Error 503 (Server Maintenance, Overload), which is not a problem Google should face. Account related services have issues, so YouTube will still work on Incognito Mode. Mostly back...  Google has also released an official tweet on the reason of the outage, alluding to "internal storage quota issue".

Google service abruptly went down on Monday evening, impacting hundreds of users. Among the services that were disrupted at the time of writing include Gmail, Google search engine, YouTube, and Google Maps among others. The latest outage, which seems to be more intensive than the last one, seemingly started around 10-15 minutes back. Downdetector, the website that tracks web outages, has reported over 20,000 outage cases from around the world. Reports are mounting on Twitter as users can’t access its basic services, with Gmail and the hashtag "YoutubeDown" starting to trend. The widespread use of Google’s services has lead to a truly staggering numbers on DownDetector, with the number of users reporting problems with YouTube rising over 100,000. However, YouTube appears to still function if you visit in an incognito browser without signing in. The @TeamYouTube Twitter account acknowledged the issues in a tweet published at 7:09AM ET. Third-party apps and services that rely on Google’s back end services also appear to be affected. DownDetector is reporting that Pokémon Go is experiencing a substantial outage, for example. 

However, despite the outage affecting numerous Google services, its core search product appears to still be functional, and third-party ads are still showing in results.

The outage appears to be worldwide. We’ve verified that services are experiencing issues in the US, UK, Netherlands, and Japan, and DownDetector’s outage reports are spanning the globe

Update 1: Incognito seems to work for some. 

While Google Docs users are seeing the message “Google Docs encountered and error. Please try reloading this page, or coming back to it in a few minutes,” YouTube just shows its error page with a monkey and states ‘Something went wrong’ along with a search bar.

As for Gmail, the page says ‘We’re sorry, but your account is temporarily unavailable. We apologise for the inconvenience and suggest trying again in a few minutes. You can view the G Suite Status Dashboard for the current status of the service.’

According to downdetector website, almost all the Google services seem to be affected. This includes Google Drive, Hangouts, Meet, Play and Duo. 

Google Maps users can open the page but cannot sign in to get personalised results.

Update 2: Services slowly return to normal for multiple users globally. Meanwhile, no official communication has been received from Google yet. This is also the longest Google outage in 2020, for over half an hour. 

Google, after a long delay, updated its status page for Google services to show that all of its services are impacted by the outage. These services include Google Search, Google Drive, Gmail, YouTube, Google Calendar, Google Docs, Google Slides, Google Sheets, Google Groups, Google Hangouts, Google Keep, and Google Tasks, among others. The YouTube team has separately addressed the issue because its users seem to have been affected the most. On Twitter, YouTube said: "We are aware that many of you are having issues accessing YouTube right now our team is aware and looking into it. We'll update you here as soon as we have more news."

The sudden suspension of Google services caused people to rush to different solutions, including switching to different browsers to check if the situation gets alleviated by a little. Some users have said on Twitter they tried using YouTube and Gmail on Microsoft Edge, Firefox, and Safari browsers to make these websites work but in vain. Google Search is, however, working all well on any browser.

The outage has not only affected web services but caused the apps and smart devices to become temporarily inaccessible. Users are reporting that smart Nest speakers are also failing to connect to Google servers. This would mean that Gmail, YouTube, and Drive apps on your Android smartphone, tablet, iPhone, iPad, and Nest speakers will not work as long as the outage pertains.

Many YouTubers have also lost revenue due to the outage, for an entire half an hour. 

My thoughts

Shocking, and might come with repercussions, mostly on the end of services reliant on Google Cloud. 45 minutes was a bit long and must have been deep rooted. Still waiting for repercussions to come up. Meanwhile, the internet does not lose any satire. And Google employees can't login either. 

The fact that this affected home security tools is scary, man. Those reliant on Google for home security really took a vulnerable hit there! Could call this 2020's season finale! I feel happy that LMG has floatplane, because they would have been considerably hit by this revenue loss if not for Floatplane serving as a cushion.

Also, it's funny that Google "ran out of shortage". Explains the 503 Error code being served on most pages! 

Moreover, seems like Google's running out of storage. They are aggressively deleting old accounts that have been unresponsive for 2+ years, deleting trash after 30 days, and ending Photos unlimited storage. All these storage saving measures and a storage related outage point to one thing: We might be nearing the point of saturation of the internet.

Sources

https://www.indiatoday.in/technology/news/story/google-gmail-youtube-down-in-massive-outage-worldwide-1749463-2020-12-14

https://www.scotsman.com/business/google-gmail-and-youtube-down-spike-reports-internet-service-failing-work-3066961

https://tech.hindustantimes.com/tech/news/yes-google-s-gmail-youtube-and-docs-are-down-for-millions-around-the-globe-71607947358318.html

https://www.theverge.com/2020/12/14/22173803/gmail-youtube-google-assistant-docs-down-outage?utm_campaign=theverge&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Youtube was down a few days ago, I wonder if this is related?

Apocalypse event of December 2020

My PCs: Desky | Beddie | Miney | Benchie

Things I need help with: (nothing at the moment)

Spoiler

none atm

I hate Intel's pricing, Ryzen's weird quirks, Nvidia's pricing, and Radeon GPUs in general

Spoiler

Products I like:

Spoiler

Sony Xperia Z1 / Z2 / 10 ii, Asus Strix 970 / 1070, Samsung SSD, WD HDD, Corsair PSUs (AX, RM, CX(grey)), GeForce GPU, NZXT N450/S340, be quiet! Coolers, G.Skill Trident RAM, Logitech M525, Logitech G440, Razer Deathadder Elite

Products I hate:

Spoiler

Xperia Z3, XiaoMi 5c, Radeon GPUs, Razer Audio Products, any bloatwares

Companies I absolutely adore: (and hope it stays that way)

Spoiler

be quiet! - sent me AM4 mounting for my DRP3 even though it's way past the timeframe stated, no questions asked

Corsair - very good RMA experience, absolutely recommend

Companies I hate:

Spoiler

Nvidia, Intel, Apple, TMT (Thundermatch, a retailer)

Personal Blacklisted Companies:

Spoiler

Acer: shit tier quality products, shit tier customer service thus far, they "tried" to solve my issue but they arent really doing anything but delaying and delaying. (on-going case since July)

Gigabyte: horrible customer service (gigabyte had literally 0 customer service, asked me to go to retailer with NO WAY to email them about a question) but at least they fixed my shit in ONE MONTH (would probably take me 1 hour to fix if they let me email them)

XiaoMi Phones: built like a tank but the software is buggy as all hell

Seagate HDD: had too many dead seagate drives

Kingston SSD: 300V controller swap thingy

Razer (except their mouse)

Remember, just because I had good/bad experiences with these companies/product, doesn't mean you will have similar experiences too. I would still recommend these products if they made sense for your needs, but I'll add a disclaimer of my experience if it's relevant. Feel free to DM me asking why they are where they are.

1 minute ago, Grand Admiral Thrawn said:

It seems like nowadays service outage is the equivalent of stock market crash.

Sure feels that way! Much worse, though as other services take a hit too!

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Youtube was down a few days ago, I wonder if this is related?

Apocalypse event of December 2020

2020. The gift that keeps on stabbing

I've been procrastinating with a job and the client has been chasing me this morning to send over a report, thankfully Google has come to my rescue and given me some extra time!

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

You can still access YT via Icognito/Private browsing mode. Its suspected they did some work on the Authentication servers and somethings wrong there. 

PSU Tier List Thread | Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"White Ice"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | EVGA RTX 2080ti | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz | Custom Water Cooling Loop | 1tb Samsung 970 Evo

2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | 2x 3tb Seagate Drive | Fractal Design Meshify S2 |  EVGA G2 750w PSU | 3x Corsair LL140 | 3x Corsair LL120

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 32gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x | EVGA GTX 1060 3gb | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Funny, same day Hardware Unboxed puts up their video of the NVIDIA incident. YouTube gets taken offline............just saying. 🤨

But on a serious note, it must be pretty bad if all these other services are impacted.
I can still use YouTube if I open it in a private/incognito session.

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 3600 - 1080Ti & 1070Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB NVMeSSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

And I can't sync my gmail accounts to my new phone Oooooof.

"Whatever happens, happens." - Spike Spiegel

4 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Its suspected they did some work on the Authentication servers and somethings wrong there. 

I aree with that. If you access a google service being not logged in (not even in a private tab, even just a regular one that's not logged into a google account, like I use it all the time tbh) everything works just fine.

Another thing that confirms this, is that the one thing that doesn't work are the comments below videos.

14 minutes ago, AvMaverick said:

Summary

Google services seem to be down in multiple areas, with no uniform characteristics known. YouTube is almost uniformly out everywhere, whereas other services like Docs, Meet, Classroom, Assistant seem to be a hit or miss depending on various locations. Mostly Error 503 (Server Maintenance, Overload), which is not a problem Google should face. This story is still developing...

Quotes

My thoughts

Shocking, and might come with repercussions. However, at time of writing, no resolution has taken place and story will be updated duly. 

Sources

https://www.indiatoday.in/technology/news/story/google-gmail-youtube-down-in-massive-outage-worldwide-1749463-2020-12-14

https://www.scotsman.com/business/google-gmail-and-youtube-down-spike-reports-internet-service-failing-work-3066961

https://tech.hindustantimes.com/tech/news/yes-google-s-gmail-youtube-and-docs-are-down-for-millions-around-the-globe-71607947358318.html

Actually this is a sad situation. Trillion dollar MNCs can't maintain servers ans services properly in world's most dense place.

4 minutes ago, yolosnail said:

I've been procrastinating with a job and the client has been chasing me this morning to send over a report, thankfully Google has come to my rescue and given me some extra time!

Hilarious

4 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

You can still access YT via Icognito/Private browsing mode. Its suspected they did some work on the Authentication servers and somethings wrong there. 

Added since multiple outlets are reporting the same.

4 minutes ago, Antistatic12 said:

Funny, same day Hardware Unboxed puts up their video of the NVIDIA incident. YouTube gets taken offline............just saying. 🤨

But on a serious note, it must be pretty bad if all these other services are impacted.
I can still use YouTube if I open it in a private/incognito session.

Coincidence. Nothing to do with HWUB. It must be bad, has never taken this long before.

3 minutes ago, CalintzJerevinan said:

And I can't sync my gmail accounts to my new phone Oooooof.

Wait. Any steps taken in hurry could have software repercussions. 

Some people are reporting issues with Discord as well? Could it be linked?

Just now, sunderamalolan said:

Actually this is a sad situation. Trillion dollar MNCs can't maintain servers ans services properly in world's most dense place.

My brother's actual school classes just went down. So...

1 minute ago, akio123008 said:

I aree with that. If you access a google service being not logged in (not even in a private tab, even just a regular one that's not logged into a google account, like I use it all the time tbh) everything works just fine.

Another thing that confirms this, is that the one thing that doesn't work are the comments below videos.

Yeah, none-account oriented stuff works well.

1 minute ago, AvMaverick said:

Hilarious

Added since multiple outlets are reporting the same.

Coincidence. Nothing to do with HWUB. It must be bad, has never taken this long before.

Wait. Any steps taken in hurry could have software repercussions. 

TONS of different services are down as a result. Look here and you can see a clear indication of what large services/applications use Google for its back end support.

https://downdetector.com/

PSU Tier List Thread | Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"White Ice"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | EVGA RTX 2080ti | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz | Custom Water Cooling Loop | 1tb Samsung 970 Evo

2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | 2x 3tb Seagate Drive | Fractal Design Meshify S2 |  EVGA G2 750w PSU | 3x Corsair LL140 | 3x Corsair LL120

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 32gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x | EVGA GTX 1060 3gb | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Was trying to enjoy my breakfast with some YouTube and that got ruined...go to check emails and that got ruined too...Google get your %4@* together here...they had an issue with YouTube a couple months ago (October).

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 900D  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

1 minute ago, AvMaverick said:

yeah google cloud could be down as well.

I'm glad I made that Microsoft email 6 months ago now. I can use it.

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

Spoiler

laptop: macbook air 13.3”

Spoiler

RAM: 4GB 1333MHz

CPU: Intel Core i5 2557M

SSD: 128GB

desktop: operation badger

Spoiler

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

Temps: CPU idle 45C, load 78C, top 85C. GPU idle 50C, load ~77C.

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

Remember when AWS went out?

Now all I'm waiting for is for Azure to crash

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

Come to think of it I did send an email just minutes before ... but seriously the tongest "Google outage" in my memory it seems to be.

... but I'm no expert.

I just got my mail

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

Its back for me

edit - kinda, email is working but YouTube shows no videos on the main page :D

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, wall03 said:

yeah google cloud could be down as well.

I'm glad I made that Microsoft email 6 months ago now. I can use it.

Everyone should have backups. That said, it is account oriented...

it's BACK bru

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users