Which drive do you normally install games too?

Greadwan

Ive built my first PC in 15 years, and I have a 1tb nvme as my main drive with OS, and I have 8TB 7200rpm barracuda HDD. All my games I just install onto the 1TB NvMe, but should I be installing all the Steam titles on the 8TB HDD to conserve space? Im installing Black Ops III right now and the download is 116gb, man games sure gotten big. Any downside to installing games onto my 8TB HDD?

2 minutes ago, Greadwan said:

Any downside to installing games onto my 8TB HDD?

veryyyy slow load times

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

Its completely up to you.

Any games I frequent I put on my SSD/ OS drive

Otherwise I'll stick it on my hard drive

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

i guess getting a second 2 TB Nvme or an SSD wouldn't be a bad idea for a game library. the 8TB HDD is mainly for storing my downloads, documents, photos ect.

23 minutes ago, Greadwan said:

Ive built my first PC in 15 years, and I have a 1tb nvme as my main drive with OS, and I have 8TB 7200rpm barracuda HDD. All my games I just install onto the 1TB NvMe, but should I be installing all the Steam titles on the 8TB HDD to conserve space? Im installing Black Ops III right now and the download is 116gb, man games sure gotten big. Any downside to installing games onto my 8TB HDD?

I put the games I play the most on my ssd so they have the fastest load times and everything else or some really big games I put on my hdd.

D drive it is. SSD storage is way too valuable

b87efc2.thumb.jpg.bae92e3348c98d2b1830a2592ed6417b.jpg

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

27 minutes ago, Greadwan said:

Get yourself PrimoCache, use that 1TB SSD as cache too speed up that 8TB HDD and you'll have 8TB of total storage with near SSD speeds. If you need space and also speed, but for minimal expense, this is the best way. PrimoCache is 30 bucks with lifetime license. You have the rest already. You'll just have to move the OS to HDD too as SSD is then just for caching.

2 minutes ago, Silentprototipe said:

D drive it is. SSD storage is way too valuable

b87efc2.thumb.jpg.bae92e3348c98d2b1830a2592ed6417b.jpg

haha love it. point taken.

2 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Get yourself PrimoCache, use that 1TB SSD as cache too speed up that 8TB HDD and you'll have 8TB of total storage with near SSD speeds. If you need space and also speed, but for minimal expense, this is the best way. PrimoCache is 30 bucks with lifetime license. You have the rest already. You'll just have to move the OS to HDD too as SSD is then just for caching.

oh interesting, ive have so much to learn, Im catching up on all the newest tech, last time i messed around with building PC's. HDD's with 7500 rpm were the new thing haha

All my drives, except my external backup drive, are SSDs.

So... E:/ drive for me. Even a 512GB SSD is plenty for me for my games. The games I play are at most 50GB and it's not like I keep the games I finish, installed.

(D:/ is for my media, downloads, etc.)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Loading times on a non-os hdd isn't nearly as bad as people seem to be claiming. It's not sata ssd speed but it really isn't far off. 

Major difference is when you have the os and games on the same hdd and access times become horribly long having to move the head all over the drive with inturrupts from the os. 

Even sata to nvme load times (for now) is nearly identical. 

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

-> Moved to Storage Devices

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I always try to have the games on the same drive as the platform I am trying to play on.  Not sure how much of a difference it makes though.  I would be interested to see videos and articles on all things related to this.

11 hours ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

Loading times on a non-os hdd isn't nearly as bad as people seem to be claiming. It's not sata ssd speed but it really isn't far off. 

Major difference is when you have the os and games on the same hdd and access times become horribly long having to move the head all over the drive with inturrupts from the os. 

Even sata to nvme load times (for now) is nearly identical. 

This, people knock HDD's too much because of complete misconceptions. Personally I use my NVMe for the stuff that actually benefits from it, the rest on HDD. I don't really care if my single player, single load game takes 40 seconds instead of 20 seconds to load. One time per day.

Have you checked out whether any of the title you play or are going to play will support DirectStorage? Might want to keep those on NVMe. Also I recommend high speed travelling open world game such as GTA or just open world game in general to be put on faster drives. Sometimes the bottleneck of retrieving the assets from hard drive could affect your experience.

One thing I can add is that you might want to set up 2 steam library folders so its easier to move games between them, or do what I do with my 1 TB NVME and partition off like 250 GB so you know your games installed will never go over that amount.

Personally I have Game Pass which has large games and I also use a lot of storage with videos so most of the games I don't play the most or the just generally massive games go on spinning metal.

Big gaming much youtube video making

i7 4790k @ 4.8 GHz -- Corsair H100i   |   2x8 HyperX fury + 2x4 another HyperX = 24 Gb: very cursed I know

EVGA GTX 980 with very boring   |   1 TB Rocket Q + 18 TB spinning metal and a 1 TB server out of garbage

Define R4 + tape to plug up holes   |   1,000W EVGA Supernova   |   Maximus 7 (VII) Hero   |   still have an optical drive

Quickfire TK and OG g502, the mouse I simp for

3x1080p60, plus a tv and a modified photo frame please help i have too many monitors

I dual-boot Ubuntu and Windows with a history of dual-booting Manjaro. not cool enough to use arch btw

Surface Pro 4 and iPhone X (not a sheep I swear)

Find me at https://linktr.ee/RaddedMC