Another ARM(1) - Apple event introduces new low-end Macs as well as updated OS

williamcll
Go to solution Solved by LAwLz,

Apple's first silicon for PCs will be named "M1".

CPU:

• 4 big cores that are, according to Apple, "the fastest core in the world", and I actually believe them. I would not be surprised if this CPU core performs better than Zen 3.
  • 4 small cores that are meant for power efficiency. Didn't quite hear what Apple said about performance but I do believe they said the quad core low power cores would offer performance better than the dual core Intel Mac. I am far more skeptical of that claim though, and they might be measuring at some specific power level that is optimal for the M1's small cores but not for whichever Intel CPU they are comparing it against.
  • At 10 watts of power limit (the MacBook Air limit) the M1 offers twice the performance of Intel's latest CPU.
  • 3 times higher performance per watt compared to Intel at other power budgets.

GPU:

• 8 cores.
  • 128 execution units.
  • 2.6 TFLOPs of performance.
  • 82 gigatexels per second
  • 41 gigapixels per second.
  • Twice the performance per watt at 10 watts power envelop, but we have no idea which chip they are comparing against (probably the Intel chip in the latest Macbook).
  • "World's fastest integrated graphics".

Other:

• 16-core Neural Engine with 11 trillion operations per second.
  • It's an SoC, so it as a lot of stuff built in. Basically everything is on a single chip just like in the iPhone and iPads.
  • It has a "unified memory architecture" which lets all SoC components (CPU, GPU and I presume NPU) access the same memory directly. So no need for the GPU to request resources from the CPU.
  • 16 billion 5nm transistors.
  • Secure enclave built in.
  • Very low power video playback.
  • Neural Engine.
  • PCIe 4.0 support
  • Thunderbolt and USB 4 support.
  • Very good image processing (probably the same as in the iPhone).
  • Crypt accelerator (although a lot of CPUs has this these days).
  • NVMe support
  • "Always-on processor" which probably refers to some very deep sleep state.

Software:

• MacOS using M1 processors can directly run iPhone and iPad apps!
  • MacOS Big Sur has been optimized for the M1.
  • "iPhone-style instant-on" which to me mean you never really turn the computer off, you just lock it and it goes into sleep. This is really nice.
  • Safari is 1.9x as responsive on the M1 compared to some other Mac configuration. They don't specify what they are comparing against really.
  • "Universal apps" is Apple's name for packaging both ARM and x86 compatible apps into one program. So developers only have to release one version of their apps and it will be able to run on both ARM and x86. None of this "which version do you want to download ARM|x86" we have seen on Windows.
  • Rosetta 2 allows x86-only programs to run on Apple's ARM processor. According to Apple some programs even perform better on Rosetta 2 than on an x86 Mac. But that might just be some handful of apps and because the M1 is faster than the x86 processor. Performance remains to be seen.
14 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I never actually use that side bar at all, Action Center I think it's called?

The problem there is mainly that Control Panel is so buried in to the OS itself it's a lot of work to actually migrate away from it and with all those dependencies and interactions with it throughout the OS, and even other tools, it's probably a lot harder to get done than people realize.

Look at how hard it was just untie Internet Explorer and Help from the OS, that took so many years.

Personally I have no issues with registry, I much prefer it over the Unix/Linux approach of config files on the file system.

Personally I loath using Mac OS, I just really don't like it. Not a lot of specifics other than for what I do it's really not suited to it and I've spent so much of my life fixing domain joined Mac OS computers that just break in unexplainable ways and are unreasonably hard to fix I simply can't willing use it because I know it's going to cause me pain. I loved Mac OS 10.6 as it didn't have any of those problems. 

heh, it might be action center yeah. What a useless UI 😂 it just sucks because it could be useful. 

yeah, I understand the history, but it’s just been so long that they’ve been untangling stuff, it seems unbelievable it can be anything other than bureaucracy preventing progress—which annoys me. 

Totally fair though, you work in an entirely different market segment from me, and I’ve heard some good positives about MS’s tooling for IT. Ultimately, a lot of this all boils down to personal preference and familiarity—for the stuff I work with I’ve had bad experiences, for the stuff you’ve worked with it’s been good. 

I think Apple has addresses a lot of those issues in recent years and beefed up comparability/enterprise management, but that’s outside my wheelhouse so I’m just going off convos I’ve had with my support team. 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

2 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

at least I can get every part off the shelf and if something on the board dies and I wanted to fix it I could buy the chips. not have to buy charging cases and rip a part off of them because apple told their suppliers not to sell it.

Haha yeaah good luck buying a working mobile CPU or GPU and resoldering a x-100s pin BGA. There is not much that you can acutally do more in an XPS compared to a MBP.

14 minutes ago, Dracarris said:

Haha yeaah good luck buying a working mobile CPU or GPU and resoldering a x-100s pin BGA. There is not much that you can acutally do more in an XPS compared to a MBP.

A cpu or gpu is a rare thing to fail, but other controller chips do go bad in macbooks, which you can't just buy.  On the XPS 13, a standard M.2 SSD is still a benefit, and on the XPS 15 you can also swap out the RAM,and easily disassemble it for cleaning.

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

Personally I have no issues with registry, I much prefer it over the Unix/Linux approach of config files on the file system.

I hate the registry, which has existed since Windows 3.x. The registry is responsible for most of the non-migratable application integration. Where as userprofile/appdata/* and /programdata end up being this mess of "settings or shared files that apply globally, or at a user level"

Not that the *nix model is any better, the nix model creates a huge mess by itself, which things can end up in /usr /usr/bin /usr/local/bin /usr/sbin username/directory

Like the right solution here is a bit in the middle. The registry should only be the OS internals. The user data in the user directory should be everything that is explicitly for their profile. No applications should be installed into the user data, and no registry should exist for user data. If it comes down to it, binaries should never be installed "into the OS", as that's what is responsible for the sheer mess Windows is, and always has been. MacOS X got this right, You can download a program and all it's settings are self-contained. If you need to migrate to a new Mac, just click and drag the programs to an external drive, and then go to the new machine and drag them back. 

Because of the potential for security issues to be be connected to these migrated applications, the actual storage of program settings should remain with that file, but the documents should be wherever the user specified. What I hate about Windows is that a lot of applications do not even ask where you want to save things, so you have stuff stored in documents/videos, or videos, or the root of the appdata, or the desktop, or c:\temp or c:\windows\temp or c:\users\username\appdata\local\temp , etc. There's literately so many places where things can be, and they're there for pretty much the same reason *nix stores things in random places. 

With the latest version of Visual Studio there is no vcpkg, nuget and git to deal with and compiling things, and git packages without cmake just end up being something you have to assemble yourself, and a lot of stuff simply doesn't work because it installs things to locations that the naive cmake scripts don't know.

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

Personally I loath using Mac OS, I just really don't like it. Not a lot of specifics other than for what I do it's really not suited to it and I've spent so much of my life fixing domain joined Mac OS computers that just break in unexplainable ways and are unreasonably hard to fix I simply can't willing use it because I know it's going to cause me pain. I loved Mac OS 10.6 as it didn't have any of those problems. 

I think a bunch of the programs come from trying to lock down the OS against security holes and lock down the OS in favor of the app store. Like even now on Windows, you can't access the Windows Store, even to download the nVidia and Realtek control panel parts which are only available through the store, even if you install the drivers via Windows Update.

In Windows, the Left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing frequently enough. I doubt we will ever see a new OS come out that solves these problems as all these OS's (particuarly Linux and BSD) flavors tend to just be repackaging of existing parts rather than any goal.

1 hour ago, Dracarris said:

I don't expect to replace that. its the small chips that die on laptops like usb-c charge controllers ect

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

42 minutes ago, Kisai said:

The registry is responsible for most of the non-migratable application integration

Not really, if you know what you are doing moving registry settings is actually very simple to do. There's even a multitude of ways to do it from USMT to PowerShell. This is more of a know how issues than registry not being good at what it's for.

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Not really, if you know what you are doing moving registry settings is actually very simple to do. There's even a multitude of ways to do it from USMT to PowerShell. This is more of a know how issues than registry not being good at what it's for.

Doesn't change the fact that it's a stumbling block in migrating users from machine to machine. Ironically the entire Microsoft account thing solves this for the OS. However having to login to 100 different cloud services is ultimately annoying as all hell, and I'm sure consumers get annoyed enough being requested to login to nvidia, intel, razer, logitech, asus, apple, spotify, slack, steam, epic game store, etc to keen their settings/software on new machines. 

Apple's solution works better in general, as it's essentially idiot-proof except for Adobe's software. 

14 hours ago, leadeater said:

Why when you make a stupid comment like this:

Nothing before or after it matters, there is no extra context that makes such a thing not a stupid comment. And this is the only statement in that that needed addressing. You declaring something as "fact" does not make it so.

What is a fact is millions of people are using Windows 10 absolutely fine and do not find it as annoying as you or many others are saying, neither have we or other IT departments had problems with OS other than initial release when dumb things like the start menu literally stopped working for zero reason and required reinstall of OS to fix.

You literally got an example from @Blade of Grass on how messed up windows is. I did not say broken. I did not say buggy. I said it's messed up. As for context, I clearly mentioned Windows 10 is a usable mess. But still a mess with boneheaded issue that a intern can solve

But as to now and previous multiple years, no it's been perfectly fine. The only problems is Microsoft moving where things are which requires user retaining, constantly. That's annoying but those types of changes Microsoft is perfectly allowed to make if they want to and you're allowed to dislike them constantly changing the UI but it does make the OS "a mess", change can simply be annoying.

Incosistencies in UI is not a design choice. It's pathetic that you're trying to spin in that way. Microsoft themselves release concept videos on how they want Windows to look like. And tbh it's beautiful. But they implement like half of it and moves on. Now these are just UI problems. I personally face a bunch of useless BSODs that doesnt even tell me useful information, apart from a very vague driver issue. What is the point of that dumb QR code that redirects you to what is a BSOD?

And what is your justification for Control panel and Settings? I've asked you this many times now and this would consitute as an example where you pretend I never mentioned it and intetionally misrepresent my arguments by cherry picking the lines that you only have something to say about

As blade of grass mentioned, envrionment variables are a mess. Command prompt sucks. There is Windows Terminal but you cant set is as your default yet, or open it directly in a folder. These are such basic issues that they havent managed to solve. That's the point

If I didn't quote it then I had nothing to say about it, why is this so hard to understand?

Because you abruptly end some talking points. Like the settings and control panel

14 hours ago, leadeater said:

So some edge cases with some edge case configurations not many people run, likely to never be tested, that caused data loss of some data. You're way misrepresenting situations here. And you're the one that just tried to complain about missing context, but here is a really good example of context that really does matter.

Yeah having machine breaking bugs even after having an army of insiders, of course, let's cut them some slack for deleting all your personal data.

But hey like you said Mac OS is not free of issues but lets solely rail on Windows 10 constantly, all the damn time, over playing issues while not doing the same to Mac OS.

Right, let's play a game here. Of all the major OSs available, iOS, macOS, Linux, Windows and Android - which one makes it to the headline every now and then (and at this point it's basically a meme) where a new update breaks things? And remember, these headlines dont usually consist of the issues on what led me to call Windows a mess. Those are just thing's that was on someone's sticky note that got lost like 5 years ago

11 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

I don't expect to replace that. its the small chips that die on laptops like usb-c charge controllers ect

12 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

A cpu or gpu is a rare thing to fail, but other controller chips do go bad in macbooks, which you can't just buy.  On the XPS 13, a standard M.2 SSD is still a benefit, and on the XPS 15 you can also swap out the RAM,and easily disassemble it for cleaning.

Most of the "smaller" chips and especially the USB-C controllers for MBPs are absolutely available, I have no idea what you are talking about. Rossmann replaces them all the time and takes the new chips from a tape strip, not from some dumpster boards. You can also buy them in his shop. There is one PM-chip from Intersil for the very latest MBPs that is impossible to get.

Can you please direct me to a repair guide for a recent XPS where easy-accessible sources for all the custom chips are listed? And of course schematics and boardview files (without those a repair is almost impossible), I am sure it is only Apple where you have to wait for those to fall from a truck and other companies happily proivde them to consumers.

The same goes for parts that require model-specific programming, like the SMC.

So far there is only a guy that works a lot on Macbooks and then of course notices stuff that is not available. For other brands, there simply is no Rossmann so claiming for those every chip is easily available is very far fetched, I would like to see proof for that.

Btw: Especially the CPU is not something that fails rarely. If any of the supply controllers goes boom there is a high chance the CPU sees 12V. And then any modern laptop is an expensive paper weight. The repair itself is not the problem, guys like Louis do have expensive BGA rework stations. The problem is that neither Intel nor Nvidia (and I guess AMD) sell individual units.

9 hours ago, Kisai said:

Doesn't change the fact that it's a stumbling block in migrating users from machine to machine. Ironically the entire Microsoft account thing solves this for the OS. However having to login to 100 different cloud services is ultimately annoying as all hell, and I'm sure consumers get annoyed enough being requested to login to nvidia, intel, razer, logitech, asus, apple, spotify, slack, steam, epic game store, etc to keen their settings/software on new machines. 

Then just use USMT and it'll migrate everything across for you and all of those applications will still be signed in, unless they implement additional trusted device checking which is a rarity. Microsoft provides USMT precisely so this is not an issue, I suggest you use it.

Leading horse to water comes to mind, I've told you about USMT multiple times before in different threads over the year(s).

1 hour ago, RedRound2 said:

Yeah having machine breaking bugs even after having an army of insiders, of course, let's cut them some slack for deleting all your personal data.

I'm sorry but losing your data in some redirected folder locations to outside your user profile folder location is not machine breaking. I'm pretty sure the people that noticed that and reported it had functioning computers.

And you're still assuming that such a configuration would have ever made it on any unit testing plans at all.

3 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

Right, let's play a game here. Of all the major OSs available, iOS, macOS, Linux, Windows and Android - which one makes it to the headline every now and then (and at this point it's basically a meme) where a new update breaks things?

Oh that's a simple one to answer, because of people like you. And media the loves to report issues because it directly benefits their bottom line. And the share volume of users of Windows 10 mean it's inevitable that enough noise to get an article written almost irrelevant of how minor or limited in scope the issue is.

You're more pointing out a culture thing and mathematical probability. Android would probably get a fair amount more news coverage if updating was more a consistent thing for that, but also the isn't a large culture of willingness to lambast minor issues with that unlike Windows.

I'll give you another non Microsoft example of such a similar behavior towards it, Java/JRE. Or another one, Apple iOS update interfering with 3rd party repairs, or such similar event.

On 11/13/2020 at 5:47 PM, leadeater said:

I'm sorry but losing your data in some redirected folder locations to outside your user profile folder location is not machine breaking. I'm pretty sure the people that noticed that and reported it had functioning computers.

So you're telling me that Windows Updates have been super smooth for every single person? And it hasn't broken for anyone in the past? Luke from LTT have shared so many stories of exactly this and why he stays away from Windows 10. How far are you going go on with this just to argue with me (and convinently avoid replying to most of my points - again you've ignored crucial parts of the arguments but still continue on with this pretending I never said it/never happened)

Data loss is data loss. There's no way to spin it.

And people have multiple computers or something called smartphones these days, that can be used to report issues as well

And you're still assuming that such a configuration would have ever made it on any unit testing plans at all.

What configurations? Why is so many parts of windows so dependant on configurations and driver in the first place. Linux seems to have no issues running on a variety of hardwares

On 11/13/2020 at 5:59 PM, leadeater said:

Oh that's a simple one to answer, because of people like you. And media the loves to report issues because it directly benefits their bottom line. And the share volume of users of Windows 10 mean it's inevitable that enough noise to get an article written almost irrelevant of how minor or limited in scope the issue is.

Go through my profile. You're a moderator so I assume you have more access. Try to find any place where I've kept bringing up this issue aside from now. I've made passing remark that Microsoft can't make softwares and Windows is a mess, but that's it. I generally don't comment or harp on companies screwing up once a while. But Microsoft is different beast. You're the one who forced me to list out issues with Windows, which isn't even new knowledge to most people. And only you're trying to dispute it (and people who hate me on this forum like your comments)

You're more pointing out a culture thing and mathematical probability. Android would probably get a fair amount more news coverage if updating was more a consistent thing for that, but also the isn't a large culture of willingness to lambast minor issues with that unlike Windows.

What's so cultural about media covering why they should wait to upgrade their Windows devices? It's not a trend. WHat's cultural is something like how it "cool" to hate on Apple and what they do - even if they donate something for a cause.

I'll give you another non Microsoft example of such a similar behavior towards it, Java/JRE. Or another one, Apple iOS update interfering with 3rd party repairs, or such similar event.

Sure Ill agree. Those are valid issues that needs to be covered. Exactly the same with Windows updates. And even Microsoft knows this. That's why their 2004 version rolled out for most people 3 months after.

Oh and I forgot another broken thing in Windows: The damn Windows Search. It's next to useless. The only times Microsoft can make good software is when they open source it - like VSCode, Terminal, and Powertoys

Edited by RedRound2
Forgot to mention one of the most broken things about Windows

@GDRRiley I see my last post seems to entertain you - how about a legit reply and answers to my points brought forward?

Edit: So this one too. I can conclude that no serious debate is possible with you and unfortunately again we see some strong anti-Apple bias without any factual backup.

20 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

So you're telling me that Windows Updates have been super smooth for every single person?

And you're trying to say that because some people had an issue with windows update that means windows is broken for everyone, which is not the case.

Data loss is data loss. There's no way to spin it.

Thats why people should back up their files.

What's so cultural about media covering why they should wait to upgrade their Windows devices? It's not a trend.

As @leadeater mentioned, the news sites posting news on windows even if its a issue only a few people might have, as its an easy way for those sites to get clicks.

WHat's cultural is something like how it "cool" to hate on Apple and what they do - even if they donate something for a cause.

Citation needed.

Sure Ill agree. Those are valid issues that needs to be covered. Exactly the same with Windows updates. And even Microsoft knows this. That's why their 2004 version rolled out for most people 3 months after.

Microsoft delayed the 2004 version update to fix it, rather than pushing the update out and some people will complain they have issues with it. But I guess people will still complain when an update gets pushed back.

4 hours ago, Dracarris said:

Most of the "smaller" chips and especially the USB-C controllers for MBPs are absolutely available, I have no idea what you are talking about. Rossmann replaces them all the time and takes the new chips from a tape strip, not from some dumpster boards. You can also buy them in his shop. There is one PM-chip from Intersil for the very latest MBPs that is impossible to get.

Can you please direct me to a repair guide for a recent XPS where easy-accessible sources for all the custom chips are listed? And of course schematics and boardview files (without those a repair is almost impossible), I am sure it is only Apple where you have to wait for those to fall from a truck and other companies happily proivde them to consumers.

The same goes for parts that require model-specific programming, like the SMC.

So far there is only a guy that works a lot on Macbooks and then of course notices stuff that is not available. For other brands, there simply is no Rossmann so claiming for those every chip is easily available is very far fetched, I would like to see proof for that.

Btw: Especially the CPU is not something that fails rarely. If any of the supply controllers goes boom there is a high chance the CPU sees 12V. And then any modern laptop is an expensive paper weight. The repair itself is not the problem, guys like Louis do have expensive BGA rework stations. The problem is that neither Intel nor Nvidia (and I guess AMD) sell individual units.

rossmans got almost nothing for the newer macbooks because it is so hard to get

the chip is only impossible to get because apple purposely changed around lines and then told them to not sell it to anyone else.

they also went and removed the ability to get data off if the system doesn't work.

dell is no better at giving those away but HP and dell do give you super detailed service manuals that tell you how to replace the most common issues, like bad wifi cards, ram, storage, dead fan ect. and you can get all those parts

if its a standard chip then a place like mouser electronics will have it. their isn't just 1 guy, their a dozens of well know small companies around the country and world.

Why the hell would I expect a CPU to be replaced on a laptop. at that point if for some reason I sill need that laptop I'll buy a board or a loaner laptop. I'd be slight more likely for the GPU given how many older macs have GPU issues.

here is a fun fact I sleep like a normal human

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

12 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

rossmans got almost nothing for the newer macbooks because it is so hard to get

That is just plain wrong. There is the Intersil that I already mentioned, that is about it except for parts with programming and CPU/GPU.

the chip is only impossible to get because apple purposely changed around lines and then told them to not sell it to anyone else.

I am still waiting for any evidence that other companies do not do this. Hint: They did not "change lines" but adapted the control interface to their needs.

if its a standard chip then a place like mouser electronics will have it. their isn't just 1 guy, their a dozens of well know small companies around the country and world.

Well yeah sure, but that is not relevant to this discussion. Standard parts for all laptops are available from standard distributors. Custom-made parts not, no matter what brand. And stating that Macbooks are just made up of custom parts is just wrong.

dell is no better at giving those away but HP and dell do give you super detailed service manuals that tell you how to replace the most common issues, like bad wifi cards, ram, storage, dead fan ect. and you can get all those parts

So Dell is not better but Dell gives service manuals and you can get all the parts? Huh? Detailed service manuals in 2020? Care to provide me with a link? Also with one to a shop where I can also buy parts that require programming by the manufacturer??

But still you admit that other companies are also "evil" - yet all the hate I see is against Apple. I really wonder why.

Why the hell would I expect a CPU to be replaced on a laptop. at that point if for some reason I sill need that laptop I'll buy a board or a loaner laptop. I'd be slight more likely for the GPU given how many older macs have GPU issues.

Depending on the rest of the board, a swap might be very well economically viable. Should I now go deep diving for every laptop model from other manufacturer that had GPU issues over the last 15 years? Again, we only know these things because of Rossmann and his widely-known YT channel that happens to only deal with Macbooks.

here is a fun fact I sleep like a normal human

.. which I never questioned. So I do not understand this comment.

2 minutes ago, Dracarris said:

That is just plain wrong. There is the Intersil that I already mentioned, that is about it except for parts with programming and CPU/GPU.

I am still waiting for any evidence that other companies do not do this.

So Dell is not better but Dell gives service manuals and you can get all the parts? Huh? Detailed service manuals in 2020? Care to provide me with a link? Also with one to a shop where I can also buy parts that require programming by the manufacturer??

But still you admit that other companies are also "evil" - yet all the hate I see is against Apple. I really wonder why.

Depending on the rest of the board, a swap might be very well economically viable. Should I now go deep diving for every laptop model from other manufacturer that had GPU issues over the last 15 years? Again, we only know these things because of Rossmann and his widely-known YT channel.

.. which I never questioned. So I do not understand this comment.

I just went to his site to look hes got 0 parts for any of the 15in macbooks after 2018

they don't because for everyone else just take of the shelf part. no need to change it

here is HP for my current laptop https://support.hp.com/in-en/product/hp-probook-445r-g6-notebook-pc/26575216/manuals

and a dell one for a 2019 XPS https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/xps-13-7390-laptop/docs

I hate dell, razer and new lenovo stuff not just apple, Everything needs a proper service manual down to board level. (I run an iPhone but I hate what apple has done. I need that dam headpone jack.)

why are you after 15 years. if its older than 9-10 its going to be a core2 erra  or before which means it will be so slow. It isn't just because of him, he maybe just the most popular and common face but there are dozens more

you asked why I wasn't responding sooner.

33 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

I just went to his site to look hes got 0 parts for any of the 15in macbooks after 2018

Then either he does not sell them or has not yet access to them, although I am pretty sure I saw him changing USB-C controllers on these models.

they don't because for everyone else just take of the shelf part. no need to change it

Please, please.. just stop, you're simply stating false things. Every major laptop manufacturer uses custom/customized ICs, this is not at all an Apple-only thing. Off-the shelf stuff is often not a good fit and if you buy millions TI and others will happily provide a custom solution. There is even a video on YT about replacing a completely custom I/O controller on an entry-level Lenovo laptop. Of course this video only gets a tiny fraction of the attention compared to Rossmanns videos, despite being a common issue on a laptop that is sold in mass.

Well those are nice but more like ifixit-guides from the manufacturer that show how to open the device, clean it and exchange components like fans, SSD, whole boards, assemblys and so on. These are not at all board-level troubleshooting guides and spare parts as well only available at that level (e.g., full board assemblies).

Everything needs a proper service manual down to board level.

I agree, but that ship has sailed decades ago. Not even for highly-specialized lab equipment you get schematics or even block diagrams anymore. The only answer is "Send it to the manufacturer", pay thousands of dollars for repair and mandatory re-calibration. We are talking about instruments that cost 6 to 7 figures. This is all about right to repair, but again this is an industry and not an Apple problem.

why are you after 15 years. if its older than 9-10 its going to be a core2 erra  or before which means it will be so slow. It isn't just because of him, he maybe just the most popular and common face but there are dozens more

I dont care, lets say 10 years if you are happy with that. You did not reply to my original question: How do you know that other manufacturers do not have similar/same issues? We only know about the MB-issues because of Louis - and believe me, he has leeched views from every single issue. And I think his work is awesome - however it provides an insanely baised view on the matter as he is only wokring on Apple devices.

you asked why I wasn't responding sooner.

Well you were apparently awake sooner for a :D-reaction but not a reply?

7 minutes ago, Dracarris said:

Then either he does not sell them or has not yet access to them, although I am pretty sure I saw him changing USB-C controllers on these models.

Please, please.. just stop, you're simply stating false things. Every major laptop manufacturer uses custom/customized ICs, this is not at all an Apple-only thing.

Well those are nice but more like ifixit-guides from the manufacturer that show how to open the device, clean it and exchange components like fans, SSD, whole boards, assemblys and so on. These are not at all board-level troubleshooting guides and spare parts as well only available at that level (e.g., full board assemblies).

I agree, but that ship has sailed decades ago. Not even for highly-specialized lab equipment you get schematics or even block diagrams anymore. The only answer is "Send it to the manufacturer", pay thousands of dollars for repair and mandatory re-calibration. We are talking about instruments that cost 6 to 7 figures. This is all about right to repair, but again this is an industry and not an Apple problem.

I dont care, lets say 10 years if you are happy with that. You did not reply to my original question: How do you know that other manufacturers do not have similar/same issues? We only know about the MB-issues because of Louis - and believe me, he has leeched views from every single issue. And I think his work is awesome - however it provides an insanely baised view on the matter as he is only wokring on Apple devices.

Well you were apparently awake sooner for a :D-reaction but not a reply?

he doesn't sell them because hes got such a limited supply

I can still buy that custom IC apples I can't.

apple doesn't give me that, I didn't claim it to be board level. just better than nothing. no it hasn't sailed,  thats what right to repair is about. we got it for cars and home appliances.

I do know that others have issues. Lenvo has a dying thunderbolt controller from bad firmware that affects 3-5 years of machines. razer has laptops dying 20 ways

I don't write when I first wake up

7 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

I can still buy that custom IC apples I can't.

I am still looking forward to you naming any easy-accessible sources. And a moment ago you claimed other manufacturers don't even use custom ICs. Please make up your mind.

I don't know if this has already been answered but has anyone commented on the future of bootcamp?

5 hours ago, thechinchinsong said:

I don't know if this has already been answered but has anyone commented on the future of bootcamp?

Yes. No more bootcamp.

“We’re not direct booting an alternate operating system,” says Craig Federighi, Apple’s senior vice president of software engineering. “Purely virtualization is the route. These hypervisors can be very efficient, so the need to direct boot shouldn’t really be the concern.”

-The Verge (https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/24/21302213/apple-silicon-mac-arm-windows-support-boot-camp)

Edited by NotTheFirstDaniel
Edit for Clarity

6 hours ago, Dracarris said:

I am still looking forward to you naming any easy-accessible sources. And a moment ago you claimed other manufacturers don't even use custom ICs. Please make up your mind.

He didn't say they didn't use custom IC's he said they use standardized parts which you can in fact buy off multitude of different suppliers. As for buying board level components a place to buy those was supplied to you, Mouser. But you honestly never need to go down to something like that when for say an HP EliteBook as you can buy the entire replacement part so cheaply and it's easy to replace the part.

Products like HP ProBooks and EliteBooks are designed from the start to be serviceable, HP ensures there is a global supply chain of replacement parts and technicians to do so and also allows 3rd party repairers or even end consumers to buy those parts. I have brought some myself to fix a laptop for someone I know, their only other option was to either replace the laptop or pay time and materials for a repair shop to do it which they couldn't really afford and the job was so simple there was no good reason for me to not spend 15 minutes of my day to do it. A lot of repairs will charge minimum of 1 hr btw.

On 11/11/2020 at 10:49 AM, Commodus said:

Apple didn't say its chip would be better than Zen 3, 'just' that it's better than other chips in comparable Windows PCs. That's still a bold claim, but a lot of the "it's faster than Ryzen!" talk is based on unofficial, limited benchmarks. I suspect the reality is somewhere in between the nothing-beats-x86 curmudgeons and the wild-eyed optimists.

i thought it said zen 3