Your debt collectors may soon be adding you on Facebook

rcmaehl
12 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

You could also - crazy idea I know - rent something and use the underground or bike (you know like billions of other people too) 

Yes and end up endlessly spending money to pay for a place with no added value. At least with a mortgage you have equity and can make money when you sell the house later on so your money actually goes somewhere. With renting it is a money pit and you never get a return. For a house once the mortgage is paid off you own a house worth about what the loan amount was for. Obviously because of interest you would be paying more than the load amount but your net loss would be far less than renting. Renting is great when you haven't settled down yet but is a waste in the long term. 

"Dept Collectors",... sounds like some mafia kinda thing.

Which countries do these work in? US?

48 minutes ago, Tech Enthusiast said:

Facebook operates worldwide as far I know.

= ) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

50 minutes ago, Tech Enthusiast said:

You know who the largest Debt collector/Collections agency is? The US Internal Revenue Service. So a mafia thing is kinda right. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

10 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Facebook operates worldwide as far I know.

= ) 

Yet, we don't have any dept collectors in Germany.

I have heard stories about the US and outsourcing dept to some... uhm,... "private" individuals?! But I did not believe such a thing was legal in any democracy.

You know, we do have people in dept that can't pay, but they simply get their income reduced up to a minimum, so their dept gets payed automatically. You can also just claim being "broke". If you do that, you get a person to your side for 5 years. This person is handling your money and makes sure you can live well enough,.. while trying to pay off your dept. After 5 years the remaining dept is erased.

Mind you, the percentage of people going into this kinda dept is in the 3 to low 4 digits, countrywide. Even at minimum wage, there is barely any way to get into any form of meaningful dept. Most people that need the service used to be rich and did some poor decisions with their money. 😉

2 hours ago, Tech Enthusiast said:

Yet, we don't have any dept collectors in Germany.

Hate to break it to you, but we do have very much and a lot of them. 

You must be either rich, have rich parents or a combination there of. 😛

There are however two different kinds of "Schuldeneintreiber", state ones and private ones. 

The private ones can't do shit, only send letters, or I guess, contact you via Facebook & co. 

The "problem" is if you don't pay you will go to a court and have to explain *why* you don't pay and that can get very expensive, and if you still don't pay you can even go to jail... 

IF YOU THINK I'M MAKING THIS UP, please do some research because that's not up to discussion, it's just common knowledge.

The second kind is from state, basically they cut out the middle man as these people work directly for court. 

They *will* come to your house if you ignore their letters, and they *will* take away things like TVs and video game consoles etc, there are restrictions what they can take but they can do this within these rules. 

IDK I think this isn't too different to the US tbh. 

Maybe you just misunderstood the term, but "Dept Collectors" is very much the equivalent to "Schuldeneintreiber or Gerichtsvollzieher" , which both aren't something "we don't have" I think we even invented it lmfao 🤷🏼

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 11/6/2020 at 4:13 PM, Ashley xD said:

i mean... just don't accept the friend request? and mute the text message? no? they aren't forcing you to reply? 

Isn't using bots against the EULA of most social media platforms? Isn't this just spam?

How will 4Chan eventually use this to troll the shit out of everyone?

Many questions, few answers.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

On 11/7/2020 at 6:22 AM, Mark Kaine said:

You could also - crazy idea I know - rent something and use the underground or bike (you know like billions of other people too) 

Lets see:

1) Rent a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment for $1400/month on average in the US

2) Own a home and build equity for $1300/month on average

Renting is not some magical solution and in many many cases is worse value for the money because when you're done renting you've got nothing to show for it. In some cases it makes sense, in others it does not but people do it because that's all they can get approved for because of bad credit mistakes in the past and they end up stuck in an endless cycle.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

11 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

*why* you don't pay

In the UK the court bailiffs can come to your house or commercial premise and start taking stuff away. Your car, your pc and they will take 300% of whats owed because Auction they olny get 1/3.

2 hours ago, Orange1 said:

In the UK the court bailiffs can come to your house or commercial premise and start taking stuff away. Your car, your pc and they will take 300% of whats owed because Auction they olny get 1/3.

Yeah its similar here (in Germany) tho as said there are restrictions, like if you have just 1 TV they can't take it as it's deemed "essential" for living (aka it's necessary to be indoctrinated by states "news") ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

If you have 2 TVs they will take the more expensive one tho... (for example) 

But, usually, and that's the one thing the other poster got right, if someone is in that situation they really wont have a lot of money and they can do something called "privat Insolvenz" (personal insolvency) 

Which means you get off the debt "for free" but with some serious drawbacks like no one will give you credit anymore etc... 

But saying we don't have "debt collectors" is just a big OOF anyways  lol

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 11/8/2020 at 3:00 PM, Mark Kaine said:

You must be either rich, have rich parents or a combination there of. 😛

Kinda called: "Having a job".

Also, look up dept "Collectors US". That is NOTHING like the stuff we have in Germany. Not even remotely close.

They are selling "depts" and those people knock on your door, wait for you after work and actually get away with some pretty scare stuff, while the police is watching and even cheering.

Nope, we don't have that here.

You get a letter with the demand to pay. If you don't, they add some fees and demand again. If you never pay, you can get a court date and that's it. Nothing crazy like US dept collectors.

On 11/6/2020 at 1:10 PM, rcmaehl said:

Summary

The US Consumer Financial Protection Bureau has ruled that debt collectors may contact users via Social Media and text message.

My thoughts

Well, it looks like the friend requests for some people will be rapidly increasing in the coming months. I'm heavily disappointed that they didn't set communication limits though because if there's one thing debt collectors are good at is being annoying, and I'm sure people don't want a text message 15 minutes to an hour about a debt. Regardless, it looks like even debt collecting is being allowed to modernize.

Sources

CBS News

US CFPB Ruling

Welp, I sure hope the telecom industry is ready for mass reports of unsolicited spam. While I understand this is US news for now, if it spilled over to Canada it would violate our CASL laws as they stand currently. Can't wait to see how this plays out since spammy electronic messages could become treated very similarly to the door to door knife salesman who keeps coming back despite you giving them a trespassing notice.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Look at it this way... Now anything a debt collector says or states online (ie any harassment), there will be a record of it and could possibly come back and bite them in the ass.

PRAISE THE LORD AND PASS THE AMMUNITION...

EVGA X299 Dark, i7-9800X, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 SLI

32 minutes ago, Tech Enthusiast said:

Kinda called: "Having a job".

and clearly you either got lucky or dont have one...

you can get into dept with or without having a job, i work my ass off almost 60 hours a week usually, and if im not careful i could still very easily get into debt.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6