Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is it normal to be paranoid about temps when my pc never throttles?

I bought my first pc in four years not too long ago, and ever since then I realized how paranoid about everything I am with it, I constantly touch the top of it to see if it's overheating, constantly check CPU-Z to see my core voltage and all, it usually runs warm (regular clock Ryzen 5 3600) but never alarmingly hot, only happened once and ever since then I got three more fans for my case just to keep everything ok.

I'm also thinking about ditching the in-box Ryzen cooler for something more future-proof than the regular small heatsing and single fan.

Just wondering if I should stop being paranoid about this, it's ruining my enjoyment of having a brand new computer to play around with for years to come and honestly I feel like I'm kinda crazy because of this.

(I should probably add that I live in a very hot and dry place, thus making my parts run sometimes hotter than expected.)

idk. As long as it's not throttling it's ok, you can even overclock a little with the stock cooler and be fine. Like do you worry the same amount about laptops which almost always overheat and throttle?

7 minutes ago, Argo- said:

I bought my first pc in four years not too long ago, and ever since then I realized how paranoid about everything I am with it, I constantly touch the top of it to see if it's overheating, constantly check CPU-Z to see my core voltage and all, it usually runs warm (regular clock Ryzen 5 3600) but never alarmingly hot, only happened once and ever since then I got three more fans for my case just to keep everything ok.

I'm also thinking about ditching the in-box Ryzen cooler for something more future-proof than the regular small heatsing and single fan.

Just wondering if I should stop being paranoid about this, it's ruining my enjoyment of having a brand new computer to play around with for years to come and honestly I feel like I'm kinda crazy because of this.

(I should probably add that I live in a very hot and dry place, thus making my parts run sometimes hotter than expected.)

What temp is the CPU hitting?

No need to freak out and ruin your new computer experience. It’s not going to hurt itself... it will save itself before anything goes sideways. 

Rig: i9 9900k @ 5Ghz - - Z390 Auros Elite  - - EVGA RTX 2080 XC Ultra @ 2025Mhz - - 4x8GB Vengeance Pro 3000Mhz @ 3600MHz - - Samsung 950 Pro 512 NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Samsung 830 Pro 256 RAID 0 Lightroom + Photo work - - WD Blue 1 TB SSD for Games - - Corsair RM650i - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - EK Supremacy Evo - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK Full Cover GPU Block - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - Steel Series QcK XXL

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: ESXi 6.5 - - 250 GB SSD for VM's/ESXi boot - - FreeNAS 11.3-U2 - - HPE Proliant ML10 Gen 9 backbone - - i3 6100 - - 28 GB ECC - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander

White Lightning (original full watercooled build) - Homelab / Media Server - The Blue Beast (my car and other expensive hobby...) - iPhone Xs - 2018 MacBook Air

i used to be paranoid to a similar extent, maybe more. but that was back when i first starting messing with computers. now i pay for the user damage warranty, and never think about it lol. there are also a lot of features in place to avoid damage. what are your idle/load temps?

3 hours ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

laptops which almost always overheat and throttle?

Do they do this often? Is it something one would notice? I have a fairly high end system and haven't noticed any overheating or throttling, but maybe it's happening and I don't realize it?

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | RAM: Crucial 16GB @ 1866MHz |

GPU: EVGA GTX 980Ti Hybrid | Motherboard: ASUS Maximus Formula VII | 

Monitor: ROG Swift P278Q | Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX | PSU: Seasonic 860W

Don’t worry OP when I got my first computer I was extremely paranoid when it came to temps and throttling to the point where I’d manage it more than I’d play my games lol

If the temps are staying reasonable for what you are doing with no major hiccups you should be fine. 

They/Them

rgb go woosh woosh fps higher

Ryzen 5 3600X  | Asus ROG Strix B550-E | Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 Twin Edge | 32G DDR4 Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro | Corsair RM650x | Corsair 4000D Airflow

Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red| Glorious Model D-

Nintendo Switch | Xbox One

short answer no its not normal to constantly worry or always be checking temps.

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

2 hours ago, Stylized_Violence said:

Do they do this often? Is it something one would notice? I have a fairly high end system and haven't noticed any overheating or throttling, but maybe it's happening and I don't realize it?

Basically laptops usually have high temperature limits and when they're reached the clocks fall, but where the frequency lands depends on how good the cooling is. It's not unheard of to clock to fall below base clock, which is in my eyes throttling, the temps being over 90'C is also a thing that nearly doesn't happen in desktops.

I think a big air cooler is a good idea, lower temps for your mind and you should be able to use it on you next CPU too.

9 hours ago, Argo- said:

I think it's natural to be a little cautious when it's something you havr spent a lot of money on.

As others have said, just don't let it become paranoia is all.

It was a big deal for many years to me. 

Before large air coolers were a thing even a thin almost invisible layer of dust could cause a throttle.

My computers were also open with floor fans pointed at them all through the summer as well.

When large coolers were first introduced motherboards were not designed for them and I even had one destroy a motherboard socket from its weight. It failed in the middle of the night and was so loud that it woke me up.  After that I went back to stock coolers. 

The first motherboards I bought that were reinforced to handle large coolers was my Z170s(2016) so it has not been that long that I have cooled with confidence.

RIG#1 CPU: Intel i9 10900k | Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus XII Hero | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: EVGA  RTX 2080 ti FTW3 ULTRA | PSU: EVGA 1300 G2 | Case: Cooler Master H500M | Cooler: SilverStone PF360 | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i7 8086k, 5ghz all cores| Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti FTW3 ULTRA | PSU: Corsair RMx1000W | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 9900k, 5ghz all cores| Motherboard: AORUS Z390 Ultra | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 ti SC | PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD: Samsung 870 EVO 2TB | Monitor:Samsung 28" 4k 60hz  

"Just wondering if I should stop being paranoid about this, it's ruining my enjoyment "

Think you answered your own question. 

Emma : i7 8700K @5.0Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS z370 Gaming 5 - ThermalTake Water 3.0 Ultimate - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB M.2 (RAID 0) - EVGA Supernova 650 P2 - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - Logitech G910, G502, G933 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

Plex : Ryzen 5 1600 (stock) - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H - G. Skill Ripjaws V 8GB 2400Mhz - GeForce 8800GTS 640MB - 840 EVO 256GB + Toshiba P300 3TB - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 - Antec Nine Hundred - Dell 19" 4:3

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 - i7 7700HQ, 16GB 2400 MHz RAM, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

16 hours ago, Argo- said:

Hmm, What's your CPU Cooler? Might not be up to the job.

Cause i'm in the Philippines. I don't worry about my i5 3470 77W TDP much at full load with a cheap but more than capable DEEPCOOL ICE EDGE MINI FS 2.0 cause it never reaches uncomfortable temps like 60c or 70c

For the Ryzen 5 3600 TDP 65W. A CPU cooler with a TDP of 120W for allowance and above is best. As long as it has copper heatpipes LOL

Lots of Case fans don't do much i believe

-> Moved to CPUs, Motherboards and Memory

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv