Nvidia Will Temporarily Stop Selling 3080/3090's on Their Online Store

Random_Person1234
24 minutes ago, fred82 said:

paper lauching was like the prints of video cards

Yeah I knew that poster didn't know what it means either...

It's a launch of a product. "On paper"  .So they can say "see we launched." Even though they really didn't - for mass market.

That's actually illegal in my country, but I don't know how it is worldwide nor what the exact rulings are.

Hence I was asking. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

9 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Yeah I knew that poster didn't know what it means either...

It's a launch of a product. "On paper"  .So they can say "see we launched." Even though they really didn't - for mass market.

That's actually illegal in my country, but I don't know how it is worldwide nor what the exact rulings are.

Hence I was asking. 

Right.  A paper launch means NO products are released.  Just specs saying "Product has been launched" but you can't actually buy it, and that's regardless of if reviewers get final spin "engineering samples" in special boxes or not.

People said Intel had a paper launch May 20th, but they didn't.  They had a proper launch, but supply was limited.  And unlike Ngreedia, you could actually *preorder* the chips from some retailers (even though that was also a train wreck, at least for those who were fast enough, Newegg delivered, while ShopBLT and B&H screwed the pooch).

Releasing a limited # of cards and having the bots scalp up all the supply is NOT a paper launch.  It's a launch with low supply.  People misuse the term "paper launch" for this when that's grossly incorrect.

Anandtech wrote a main article post years ago on what a paper launch actually is.  

Question guys... didn't anyone realize that the number of reviews of GeForce 3080 are very low... on many cards. AND, that you have more reviews on the higher priced cards then cheaper priced ones? I noticed this after looking at the card during Amazon Prime (not that I plan to get it now, or expected to see anything on special, of course, I was just wondering for my build planning... as I was browsing and seeing the state of computer hardware...)

I am starting to suspect that Nvidia is purposefully holding out their GPU, creating a demand from scarcity. I am willing to bet that once AMD will release their new GPU, in November, Nvidia will open the gate, start dumping a lot of cards, and people will start to impulse buy their GPU over AMD. If you think about it, many don't know the details or performance of Nvidia latest GPU and AMD latest GPUs, they just hear that it is difficult to buy a GeForce 3080, and people want it, and even if AMD has a competitive product, people will just see it in stock and order the card.

16 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Question guys... didn't anyone realize that the number of reviews of GeForce 3080 are very low... like 2 digit numbers on many cards. AND, that you have more removes on the higher priced cards then cheaper priced ones? I noticed this after looking at the card during Amazon Prime (not that I plan to get it now, or expected to see anything on special, of course, I was just wondering for my build planning... as I was browsing and seeing the state of computer hardware...)

I am starting to suspect that Nvidia is purposefully holding out their GPU, creating a demand from scarcity. I am willing to bet that once AMD will release their new GPU, in November, Nvidia will open the gate, start dumping a lot of cards, and people will start to impulse buy their GPU over AMD. If you think about it, many don't know the details or performance of Nvidia latest GPU and AMD latest GPUs, they just hear that it is difficult to buy a GeForce 3080, and people want it, and even if AMD has a competitive product, people will just see it in stock and order the card.

Isn't that what the youtuber moores law is dead who has "inside sources" said.

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler - EVGA CLC 240mm AIO  Motherboard - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 3600MHz CL17 | GPU - MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC | PSU -  EVGA 600 BQ | Storage - PNY CS3030 1TB NVMe SSD | Case Cooler Master TD500 Mesh

58 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Question guys... didn't anyone realize that the number of reviews of GeForce 3080 are very low... like 2 digit numbers on many cards. AND, that you have more removes on the higher priced cards then cheaper priced ones? I noticed this after looking at the card during Amazon Prime (not that I plan to get it now, or expected to see anything on special, of course, I was just wondering for my build planning... as I was browsing and seeing the state of computer hardware...)

Please tell me you didn't watch this on MLID :( Because I've never heard of a major supplier intentionally hold up stock.  There's already enough rumors about those factory fires in Korea either being intentional or being an excuse for record SSD profits or Dram price fixing...

I mean that's an interesting theory and all, but you might as well just go all the way and say that some of the bots were being controlled by Nvidia themselves, and MSI was not alone :(

49 minutes ago, Random_Person1234 said:

Did he? Checking....

4 minutes ago, Falkentyne said:

Please tell me you didn't watch this on MLID :( Because I've never heard of a major supplier intentionally hold up stock.  There's already enough rumors about those factory fires in Korea either being intentional or being an excuse for record SSD profits or Dram price fixing...

I mean that's an interesting theory and all, but you might as well just go all the way and say that some of the bots were being controlled by Nvidia themselves, and MSI was not alone :(

Actually no. I was thinking more what Nintendo sometimes does... with their limited quantities. The low review count, high demand, reminded me of the NES mini.

14 minutes ago, Falkentyne said:

I haven't watch what he said, but AIB intentionally hold up, is silly. Makes 0 sense, I would agree on this.

As for Nvidia, well... as I mentioned, I strongly believe that Nvidia is afraid of AMD (as I already mentioned a few times: pushing the GPU to its limit)... if those AMD sneak peak benchmarks of AMD GPU is true, during their presentation, that new GPU would be awfully close to the 3080. Which to me, means, it was good move for Nvidia to push their GPU "to the max", else it would match in performance.

If I am totally wrong, then the only explanation I have, is that Samsung is unable to produce the chip properly at this time (low yield). Maybe they just managed to find a solution to their problem and can now mass output the GPUs, and so, in a few weeks, we should see plenty of 3080.

1 hour ago, Random_Person1234 said:

I just watched his thing... Interesting...

I was more thinking that Nvidia is limiting the GPUs to AIOs. Which of course AIO who have no control on that, will of course, and logically, put what they have on their higher end cards, as they maximize revenue (normally, I would say profit, but the low sales makes them require more a lot more sales to pay off their expense).

As I mentioned, I was thinking more of what Nintendo tend to do. Where they act like the sales of their product will be a total flop, and go "Oh, demand was higher then expected!", and then just mass produce their product to fill demand. I mean it has worked for Nintendo with the original Wii, Switch and NES Mini. They didn't do it for the SNES mini, and you didn't have people taking about how the SNES mini was hard to get, and probably resulted in lower sales for Nintendo. 

59 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I haven't watch what he said, but AIB intentionally hold up, is silly. Makes 0 sense, I would agree on this.

As for Nvidia, well... as I mentioned, I strongly believe that Nvidia is afraid of AMD (as I already mentioned a few times: pushing the GPU to its limit)... if those AMD sneak peak benchmarks of AMD GPU is true, during their presentation, that new GPU would be awfully close to the 3080. Which to me, means, it was good move for Nvidia to push their GPU "to the max", else it would match in performance.

If I am totally wrong, then the only explanation I have, is that Samsung is unable to produce the chip properly at this time (low yield). Maybe they just managed to find a solution to their problem and can now mass output the GPUs, and so, in a few weeks, we should see plenty of 3080.

I think it could be both Nvidia wanted to push their GPU, and low yields. And it seems Nvidia is also scared of what AMD has because Gamers Nexus has said Nvidia only started 30 series manufacturing a month before launch, it seems Nvidia rushed their launch to beat AMD's 6000 series.

Remember guys, it's because you demand the product too much, not because the production chain is fucked by Covid, etc.

It's not Nvidia, it's you.

3 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

I think it could be both Nvidia wanted to push their GPU, and low yields. And it seems Nvidia is also scared of what AMD has because Gamers Nexus has said Nvidia only started 30 series manufacturing a month before launch, it seems Nvidia rushed their launch to beat AMD's 6000 series.

yea, that would make sense.

4 hours ago, AldiPrayogi said:

Remember guys, it's because you demand the product too much, not because the production chain is fucked by Covid, etc.

It's not Nvidia, it's you.

I mean, when company says they launched the product and you can't actually buy it coz their supply chain is absolute shit and they started making them just a month prior launch, yeah, best way to do is to blame the consumer for wanting the product said company showcased, hyped and also launched. Mhm...

11 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

I am starting to suspect that Nvidia is purposefully holding out their GPU, creating a demand from scarcity

Which was my point about "paper launching" ...

I mean it should be illegal (anti competitive etc) but it probably isn't... also if it was I don't know why AMD wouldn't do something (so again, it probably isn't actually illegal, I'm not a lawyer tho)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

This release just keeps getting worse. Nvidia was not prepared for a release they knew would be hot. Even worse, they had huge issues with their own site and caused all of the cards to go to greedy scalpers. I actually love nvidia's products, but goodness, this is one huge cluster f**** for them

I'm usually as lost as you are