How do you respond to someone who "doesn't care" about internet privacy?

Doqtori

I've met a few people trough out my life that say they "don't care about internet privacy at all" and all I can think about is why would you not care?

In real life, I act like I know less about tech than I actually do.

Main build: CPU: AMD Phenom ii X4 955 Black Edition @ 4,0GHz (Cooler Master 212) | GPU: MSI RX580 8Gb | RAM: 12Gb DDR3 | PSU: Chieftec CTB-500S  | Mobo: Asus M4A87TD/USB3 | Storage: Seagate 500Gb HDD

Yes, I'm aware my CPU is a huge bottleneck. No, I don't really care.

Laptop: Asus TUF FX505DT 60Hz 8Gb model

"Fortifications, cannons and foreign aid won't help unless every man knows that he himself is a guardian of his country"

-Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim

1 minute ago, Doqtori said:

I've met a few people trough out my life that say they "don't care about internet privacy at all" and all I can think about is why would you not care?

You can't force someone to care about their privacy, if they are aware of how their data is collected and used and that still doesn't concern them then that's just how they prioritize or view things.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

For one, "Internet privacy" is an absolutely enormous concept, so it may simply be that they don't grasp what it entails. Did you explain what you specifically mean with it? Secondly, are these people skilled enough to do anything about it, if they did care?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

With the amount of data collected by virtually everything that you generally would want to (or need to) use to make your life easier/enjoyable, I don't think it's reasonable or even realistic to have anything close to actual internet privacy.

A lot of people look at it in a fatalistic view. I'm one of them, to an extent. 

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

2 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

With the amount of data collected by virtually everything that you generally would want to (or need to) use to make your life easier/enjoyable, I don't think it's reasonable or even realistic to have anything close to actual internet privacy.

Quite. I, personally, do take some steps to reduce the amount of tracking and whatnot of me, but I realize that the only way of completely stopping it would be to disconnect from the Internet entirely and ditch my phones and tablets as well -- that's just not something I am willing to do or even capable of doing, since many essential services nowadays are only available through the phone or the Internet.

If I can't stop all this tracking from happening, I may as well make use of it where it makes sense, like e.g. I let Google know about the stuff I am interested in, so this Google Discover and Youtube can make more meaningful recommendations for me.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Internet privacy is a bit too broad of a statement. Also, I don't believe anyone was ever promised privacy on the internet. So it shouldn't be expected that you'd get it. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

11 minutes ago, Syn. said:

You can't force someone to care about their privac

Of course, and I won't force anyone to do anything. 

12 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Did you explain what you specifically mean with it?

Yes.

12 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Secondly, are these people skilled enough to do anything about it, if they did care?

I'd like to think everyone knows how to change a search engine or something like that. And usually, it's 15-20 year old people, which really surprises me. Older folks seem to care more about internet privacy and sometimes even ask for help.

Main build: CPU: AMD Phenom ii X4 955 Black Edition @ 4,0GHz (Cooler Master 212) | GPU: MSI RX580 8Gb | RAM: 12Gb DDR3 | PSU: Chieftec CTB-500S  | Mobo: Asus M4A87TD/USB3 | Storage: Seagate 500Gb HDD

"Fortifications, cannons and foreign aid won't help unless every man knows that he himself is a guardian of his country"

19 minutes ago, Doqtori said:

all I can think about is why would you not care?

my car doesn;t even have a passenger side airbag and i dont care

Also, why isn't there a privacy section? Feel like a forum like LTT should have one

3 minutes ago, Doqtori said:

Also, why isn't there a privacy section? Feel like a forum like LTT should have one

it's called a PM nobody's stopping you from using it

It depends of their own mind if they are just paranoid as using Tor on every browsing session, or just f*ck it if everyone knows their phone number.

Privacy is something really... Different from one to another's mind. Like, I don't really mind if the internet are harvesting and logging my habit to search something online, as sometimes it's actually good enough that I can find something good on the ads I see. I even managed to get one item because of the ads itself. YouTube search, either. Their recommendations actually helps of my learning habit by watching something. 

You wouldn't get total privacy from anything, anyway. You can only just reduce it. Using VPN for at least people wouldn't know where the f are yourself at, or more extend like Tor. But for real, you can't really stop someone to snoop around to know what you do on internet.

I'm more concerned of privacy for personal details (especially contacts, like phone number and e-mail) of myself than someone snooping around my habits on internet, anyway.

We human made mistake, too. I stupidly submit some of my personal details to a dang 'Covid-19' info account on WhatsApp, and ended up with a lot of freaking spam SMS after that. But, meh. At least it's only message coming in that I can block. But it made me realize how easy it is just to get our data got sold behind us.

Some people, of course, have their own extend of paranoia of privacy. Me, I don't like to show my debit card numbers to anyone on the public while I'm paying something, even just for a second, I'd close the numbers with my fingers before putting them on the EDC. I even managed to scrape the CVV numbers on every card I have so to prevent this.

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

9 minutes ago, emosun said:

I.. What?

By sections I mean stuff like "General discussion", "Off-topic", "Graphics cards", etc. Sorry if it's not the right term.

11 minutes ago, emosun said:

I.. What?

I by sections I mean stuff like "General discussion", "Off-topic", "Graphics cards", etc. Apologies if it's not the right term.

Imgur | The joke you, Best funny pictures, Funny memes

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

19 minutes ago, Doqtori said:

There is. It's just private.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

6 minutes ago, dhannemon13 said:

Imgur | The joke you, Best funny pictures, Funny memes

I still don't get it 😕

4 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

There is. It's just private.

🤔

I still don't get it 😕

🤔

Welp, I don't think anyone would be talking about privacy so much that it would be made a separate section, anyway.

"General Discussion" already includes that. Because we discuss about what generally discussed on tech world.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

Audio

29 minutes ago, dhannemon13 said:

I'm more concerned of privacy for personal details (especially contacts, like phone number and e-mail) of myself than someone snooping around my habits on internet, anyway.

I'm honestly the opposite. I couldn't care less about someone getting my phone number or e-mail and spamming me, since I can always just block them (Of course, I won't just give them away, but yeah), but someone getting access to something like my browser history or music playlist just feels.. Weird, even if there's literally nothing weird there.

There are literally tens of millions of people paying private companies for the privilege of having their DNA stored in a database, which can be sold to the highest bidder. There are enough DNA samples in the database to be able to make very good guesses about the identity of an unknown DNA sample not in any database, compromising the privacy of everyone in the world.

That fact that you still care at all about someone else's privacy habits means that you are failing to see that this battle has already been lost. Those who care about privacy will become a smaller and smaller group, and privacy will be more difficult to maintain regardless of what precautions and mitigations are taken.

2 minutes ago, badreg said:

Those who care about privacy will become a smaller and smaller group, and privacy will be more difficult to maintain regardless of what precautions and mitigations are taken.

This is my biggest fear, which is why I try to urge people to just think about their privacy. It should be a right, a simple toggle on/off, not something I have to actively think about to get the slightest amount.

Edited by Doqtori
corrected myself, you can't come close to absolute privacy without ditching all electronics

This is my biggest fear, which is why I try to urge people to just think about their privacy. It should be a right, a simple toggle on/off, not something I have to actively think about to come even close to achieving.

It's already a reality, so instead of being afraid of it and trying to fight a battle that has already been lost, you should be trying to figure out how to adapt to it. In a world without privacy, security is what becomes important. It doesn't matter if bad actors have your personal data if they can't breach your accounts. It doesn't matter if Google or Amazon uses your data to serve you personalized ads if you block the ads in the first place.

Hiding behind privacy is the same as security by obfuscation. Yes, it makes you harder to track, but just because you use a VPN, it doesn't mean that a neural network can't make a very good guess about who you with just a digital fingerprint. The solution is not to find better ways to hide. The solution is to make your data worthless to whoever might be interested in it.

Just now, Doqtori said:

I'm honestly the opposite. I couldn't care less about someone getting my phone number or e-mail and spamming me, since I can always just block them (Of course, I won't just give them away, but yeah), but someone getting access to something like my browser history or music playlist just feels.. Weird, even if there's literally nothing weird there.

Welp, actually I don't like the idea someone snooping on my *ehem*Hub history, either (I always use incognito and personal VPN off a Google Cloud instance for such thing somehow). Or especially banking thingies.

But, yeah. We can't really help that. No matter how, those things can and will be compromised, unfortunately.

Just now, Doqtori said:

This is my biggest fear, which is why I try to urge people to just think about their privacy. It should be a right, a simple toggle on/off, not something I have to actively think about to come even close to achieving.

Some companies, and we can't really argue of that, uses our information for our own good. As like I said before, the recommendations, for example. Some are for their own useful usage of what the consumer mostly want on features. Well, of course with the good risk of they know what you'd like to choose. Like you'd regularly visit some convenience store regularly and the owner basically remember of what you'd like to buy every time you come. Then someone hates your guts and puts some amount of laxative on your favorite product, on the exact same place you'd take your yogurt. It's basically inevitable.

And lol I'm using Taken 3 scene for such stupid analogy

And, yeah. We actually already lost the battle since ad cookies are introduced, and internet ads become so frequently everywhere that even online news page made parts like "1 - 2 - 3 - read all" just to make those greenies.

And, for those marketing mofo that invents 720p video-ad on sites, f you. For real. I don't even watch YouTube on such quality.

Still, it's the risk of modern age like today. We'd have to live with it. Still careful of what we do would be the best way to at least, keep our privacy on ourselves.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

Audio

People think internet privacy is a vast concept, so they can't afford to care. Tell them "if you don't want to see repeated adds after you search for anything, then you care about i.privacy"

5 hours ago, Mister Woof said:

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks this way...literally the only steps I take to protect my privacy is using incognito mode frequently (for stuff other than...well, you know) and occasionally a VPN. That's it.

Quite frankly I think the people who get a hard-on for whining about Google collecting data are paranoid and annoying. It's going to happen regardless, unless you throw away all your electronics and go live off the grid in the middle of nowhere. Whether you like it or not, get used to it.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈