What are the dangers of a mostly open case build?

stefanDB

Hi guys, 

I am planning on building a computer case from wood and copper wire. (I have drawn it in inventor, a program from Autodesk that our university uses to teach us CAD. I will add a screenshot and the file if it is small enough)

I would like the case to be mostly open, with the components mounted on parts of an old PC case that I will cut in pieces. The bottom of the case will be a thick piece of wood.

I am worried about all of the components being exposed. The PC is already old (4 years) and was never very expensive (800 euro) but since I am a student now I don't have any plans to replace it soon. 

I think that a cage of copper wires around the components would protect me from sticking my fingers in the fans, and mostly protect the PC from ESD (think loose clothing and such, a friend of mine killed his PC with his bathrobe)

Do you think I should add the copper wires or not? I am also considering to use copper wires instead of the piece of wood to hold the motherboard mounting bracket in the center of the build.

(the gray blocks are rough dimensions of the internal components)

image.png.be02d7a203cc5d89b65d5b2f428c6c0b.png    image.png.4ac8ba25a3de53fcb30bea854e02778b.png 

MB mount - Copy.ipt

If you have pets, make sure that don’t pee on it.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

I've broken a couple fans when I accidentally hit the blades while they were running with some fingers.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

3 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

or walk on it. I have woken up to see my cat putting his paw on my test bench cpu cooler. And he just keeps doing it.

2 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

that would be an interesting way to ruin a PC. 

TLDR. 

But my bother had a Thermaltake P5, after a couple years he gave up on the open case. Dust accumulation is the biggest issue, and potential for shorting the system is slightly more likely if the system is in the vicinity of other items/devices frequently. The way I see it I an enclosed case protects the hardware inside.

AMD Motherboard Tier List  GPU Cooling Tier List  PSU Tier List  A Dive Into Custom Keyboards & Mechanical Switches

NEWCOMERS Remember to ' Reply ' to comments in order for people to see them, this is done by clicking the arrow icon at the bottom of a comment (Quote).

My Builds:

MEGA Desk Build

Blueberry Pi  R9 3950X  Asus X470 ROG Crosshair VII Hero Wi-Fi ATX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 4x16GB 3200MHz CL16  EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black Edition 11GB  EVGA P2 850W w/ Blue Sleeved Cables  Cryorig R1 Universal (Blue)  2x Corsair Force MP510 4TB w/ Asus Hyper m.2 V2  Corsair ML Pro Blue LED Fans  Fractal Design Meshify C TG ATX Mid Tower  

Asus ROG SWIFT PG348Q 100Hz IPS G-Sync UW  Dell UltraSharp U3419W 60Hz IPS UW  Custom TOFU96  Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB 

Work Rig  ThreadRipper 3970X  Asus Prime TRX40 Pro ATX  G.Skill RipjawsV 8x32GB 3200Mhz CL16  Nvidia Quadro RTX 6000 24GB  Corsair HXi 1000W  EVGA CLC 360 AIO  8x Sabrent Rocket 2TB w/ 2x Asus Hyper m.2 V2   Arctic P12 Fans  Phanteks P400A ATX Mid Tower 

Plotting Machine 1  ThreadRipper 2990WX  AsRock X399 Taichi ATX  Kingston HyperX Fury 8x16GB 2666Mhz CL18   Nvidia Quadro K600 1GB  Corsair RMx 850W  EVGA CLC 360 AIO ‖ 2x Sabrent Rocket 2TB & 2x Sabrent Rocket 4TB w/ Asus Hyper m.2 V2  Arctic P12 Fans  Rosewill RSV-L4500 4U  5x Dell DS60 60-bay JBOD w/ 1.2PB of HDD Storage  HP 22U Half Rack

Plotting Machine 2  R9 3950X  Asus TUF X570-Plus Wi-Fi ATX  G.Skill RipjawsV 4x16GB 3200Mhz CL16   Nvidia Quadro K600 1GB  Corsair RM 650W  Noctua NH-D15s Chormax ‖ 4x Corsair MP600 Force 1TB W/ Asus Hyper m.2 Gen4  Arctic P14 & P12 Fans  Silverstone FARA R1 ATX Mid Tower

J.A.R.V.I.S.  R9 3900XT  Asus B550-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16  EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX 8GB  Corsair SF 750W Platinum  Corsair H100i Pro AIO  Noctua NF-A12x15 Chromax Fans  FormD T1 SFF ITX Case  

LG 75UM8070PUA 4K UHD 120Hz IPS HDR TV  Corsair K63 Cherry MX Red Special Edition Wireless  Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless

Archive Server  R3 2200G  Asus B450-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 White  Vega Integrated Graphics  EVGA P2 750W  Prism Wraith Cooler  ITX Open Bench  2x HP SAS Expander  LSI-SAS9211  220TB of HDD Storage

SFF ITX Home PC  i5-7500  MSI B250I Gaming Pro Wi-Fi AC ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 2800MHz  Intel Integrated Graphics  Seasonic SSP Flex ATX 300W PSU  Cryorig C7  Velka 3 rev 1.2 SFF ITX Case (Grey)  

Laptop  Dell XPS13 2-in-1 7390 (2020)  i7-1065G7  32GB 3733MHz LPDDR4x  Intel Integrated Graphics  1TB NVME M.2  UHD+ (3840 x 2400) InfinityEdge Touch Display 

Keyboard Collection  GMMK Full Size  TOFU96 90%  ‖ KBD8x MKII TKL ‖ Drop CTRL High Profile TKL ‖ KBD Bella 75% ‖ GMMK Pro 75% ‖ XD84 Pro 75%  KBD67 V2 MKII 65%  KBD67Lite 65%  TOFU65 65%  KBD Blade 60%  Drop Carina 60%  Southpaw75 60% w/ Left Numpad  OLKB Preonic V3 Ortholinear ‖ CosPad XD24  ‖ KBDPad MKII

Key Cap Collection  GMK Boba Fett  GMK Red Samurai  GMK Laser CyberDeck +Novalties  GMK Arch  MaxKey B&W  Drop MT3 Camillo ‖ Matt3o MT3 /dev/tty  KBDfans Biip Torii Ext-2048  ePBT Less But Better +Novalties  EnjoyPBT Dolch  WinMix Mustard  Drop Skylight Horizon & Slate ‖ Glorious Black Aura   

Mechanical Key Switch Collection  Zealios V2 65g  Zealios V2 78g ‖ Zilents V2 67g  Tealios V2 67g  C³ Kiwi ‖ C³ Tangerine  Invyr Holy Panda  Durock T1 67g  Kailh Box Thick Jades ‖ Kailh Box Royal ‖ Kailh Box Heavy Dark Yellow ‖ Kailh Box Heavy Burnt Orange  Kailh Box White  Kailh Box Red  Kailh Pro Purple  Kailh Pro Burgandy  Gateron Ink Black V2  Gateron Black  Gateron Yellow  Gateron Brown  Gateron Green  Gateron Blue ‖ Cherry MX Black ‖ Cherry MX Brown ‖ Cherry MX Red

13 minutes ago, TheDailyProcrastinator said:

TLDR. 

But my bother had a Thermaltake P5, after a couple years he gave up on the open case. Dust accumulation is the biggest issue, and potential for shorting the system is slightly more likely if the system is in the vicinity of other items/devices frequently. The way I see it I an enclosed case protects the hardware inside.

I agree dust is the biggest issue. If kept out of the way of other devices and possible spillage/bumping into it it will be fine. I ran my test computer on a piece of plexiglass for 7 years :p. Got bumped, pushed, fell of the desk a couple times but kept on trucking :p.

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

I agree dust is the biggest issue. If kept out of the way of other devices and possible spillage/bumping into it it will be fine. I ran my test computer on a piece of plexiglass for 7 years :p. Got bumped, pushed, fell of the desk a couple times but kept on trucking :p.

Yeah if you are good about cleaning it (compressed air is the best) then it's not as bad, but otherwise it can be an issue. 

AMD Motherboard Tier List  GPU Cooling Tier List  PSU Tier List  A Dive Into Custom Keyboards & Mechanical Switches

NEWCOMERS Remember to ' Reply ' to comments in order for people to see them, this is done by clicking the arrow icon at the bottom of a comment (Quote).

My Builds:

MEGA Desk Build

Blueberry Pi  R9 3950X  Asus X470 ROG Crosshair VII Hero Wi-Fi ATX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 4x16GB 3200MHz CL16  EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black Edition 11GB  EVGA P2 850W w/ Blue Sleeved Cables  Cryorig R1 Universal (Blue)  2x Corsair Force MP510 4TB w/ Asus Hyper m.2 V2  Corsair ML Pro Blue LED Fans  Fractal Design Meshify C TG ATX Mid Tower  

Asus ROG SWIFT PG348Q 100Hz IPS G-Sync UW  Dell UltraSharp U3419W 60Hz IPS UW  Custom TOFU96  Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB 

Work Rig  ThreadRipper 3970X  Asus Prime TRX40 Pro ATX  G.Skill RipjawsV 8x32GB 3200Mhz CL16  Nvidia Quadro RTX 6000 24GB  Corsair HXi 1000W  EVGA CLC 360 AIO  8x Sabrent Rocket 2TB w/ 2x Asus Hyper m.2 V2   Arctic P12 Fans  Phanteks P400A ATX Mid Tower 

Plotting Machine 1  ThreadRipper 2990WX  AsRock X399 Taichi ATX  Kingston HyperX Fury 8x16GB 2666Mhz CL18   Nvidia Quadro K600 1GB  Corsair RMx 850W  EVGA CLC 360 AIO ‖ 2x Sabrent Rocket 2TB & 2x Sabrent Rocket 4TB w/ Asus Hyper m.2 V2  Arctic P12 Fans  Rosewill RSV-L4500 4U  5x Dell DS60 60-bay JBOD w/ 1.2PB of HDD Storage  HP 22U Half Rack

Plotting Machine 2  R9 3950X  Asus TUF X570-Plus Wi-Fi ATX  G.Skill RipjawsV 4x16GB 3200Mhz CL16   Nvidia Quadro K600 1GB  Corsair RM 650W  Noctua NH-D15s Chormax ‖ 4x Corsair MP600 Force 1TB W/ Asus Hyper m.2 Gen4  Arctic P14 & P12 Fans  Silverstone FARA R1 ATX Mid Tower

J.A.R.V.I.S.  R9 3900XT  Asus B550-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16  EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX 8GB  Corsair SF 750W Platinum  Corsair H100i Pro AIO  Noctua NF-A12x15 Chromax Fans  FormD T1 SFF ITX Case  

LG 75UM8070PUA 4K UHD 120Hz IPS HDR TV  Corsair K63 Cherry MX Red Special Edition Wireless  Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless

Archive Server  R3 2200G  Asus B450-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 White  Vega Integrated Graphics  EVGA P2 750W  Prism Wraith Cooler  ITX Open Bench  2x HP SAS Expander  LSI-SAS9211  220TB of HDD Storage

SFF ITX Home PC  i5-7500  MSI B250I Gaming Pro Wi-Fi AC ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 2800MHz  Intel Integrated Graphics  Seasonic SSP Flex ATX 300W PSU  Cryorig C7  Velka 3 rev 1.2 SFF ITX Case (Grey)  

Laptop  Dell XPS13 2-in-1 7390 (2020)  i7-1065G7  32GB 3733MHz LPDDR4x  Intel Integrated Graphics  1TB NVME M.2  UHD+ (3840 x 2400) InfinityEdge Touch Display 

Keyboard Collection  GMMK Full Size  TOFU96 90%  ‖ KBD8x MKII TKL ‖ Drop CTRL High Profile TKL ‖ KBD Bella 75% ‖ GMMK Pro 75% ‖ XD84 Pro 75%  KBD67 V2 MKII 65%  KBD67Lite 65%  TOFU65 65%  KBD Blade 60%  Drop Carina 60%  Southpaw75 60% w/ Left Numpad  OLKB Preonic V3 Ortholinear ‖ CosPad XD24  ‖ KBDPad MKII

Key Cap Collection  GMK Boba Fett  GMK Red Samurai  GMK Laser CyberDeck +Novalties  GMK Arch  MaxKey B&W  Drop MT3 Camillo ‖ Matt3o MT3 /dev/tty  KBDfans Biip Torii Ext-2048  ePBT Less But Better +Novalties  EnjoyPBT Dolch  WinMix Mustard  Drop Skylight Horizon & Slate ‖ Glorious Black Aura   

Mechanical Key Switch Collection  Zealios V2 65g  Zealios V2 78g ‖ Zilents V2 67g  Tealios V2 67g  C³ Kiwi ‖ C³ Tangerine  Invyr Holy Panda  Durock T1 67g  Kailh Box Thick Jades ‖ Kailh Box Royal ‖ Kailh Box Heavy Dark Yellow ‖ Kailh Box Heavy Burnt Orange  Kailh Box White  Kailh Box Red  Kailh Pro Purple  Kailh Pro Burgandy  Gateron Ink Black V2  Gateron Black  Gateron Yellow  Gateron Brown  Gateron Green  Gateron Blue ‖ Cherry MX Black ‖ Cherry MX Brown ‖ Cherry MX Red

i found out the hard way that you sould power off your system before plugin in an molex hhd..... you can indeed plug it it the wrong way....

also i had a cup of water fall on my desk and spilt water in the top of the case down to the gpu, it sparked shut down. but turned on fine i was lucky.  i too have broken fan blades when the pc on.... also got peace of metal in my eye well not wearing safety glasses cutting a hole for more cables....

should be good temps thow.... so i bean told.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

You wont get many issues from heat...well maybe from some nook that will be a hot spot. Mostly on the VRMs. With a simple re-positioning of the components and figuring out how the air will flow...could generate some "airflow", but who knows with this approach 

Tho the biggest problems will start with the manufacture of this. I suggest you do some research on copper wire baskets...that will give you an idea what a headache it will be to make..

Dust is the only thing you have to deal with. This is my old computer for 4 years. It weighed 150lbs and once a quarter I'd pull it off the wall and take it outside and spray it off with the air compressor.

Open cases are easier because you ha e slace for days. I just built a new computer and put it in a case and the lack of space even in a large case was annoying for running my hard line water pipes

20190222_061306_HDR.thumb.jpg.f00ea2b1f8eb923ae285e99180ef1656.jpg

On 9/17/2020 at 11:54 PM, airborne spoon said:

Dust is the only thing you have to deal with. This is my old computer for 4 years. It weighed 150lbs and once a quarter I'd pull it off the wall and take it outside and spray it off with the air compressor.

Open cases are easier because you ha e slace for days. I just built a new computer and put it in a case and the lack of space even in a large case was annoying for running my hard line water pipes

An open PSU? Really? I mean, do whatever you want to do, but that's the one component I'd never run without it's chassis.

On 9/17/2020 at 2:54 PM, airborne spoon said:

that pc is on so many levels ill just run...

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

On 9/20/2020 at 8:15 AM, startrek03 said:

An open PSU? Really? I mean, do whatever you want to do, but that's the one component I'd never run without it's chassis.

Since it's all wood and plexi I made it safe and ran the ground that normally commects to the case and frame from the PSU to the back of the MB so it was all grounded but just like a normal computer ya don't touch it much while it's on.

It was also mounted on the wall the bottom was at about 4ft high so no real concern of issues.

On 9/13/2020 at 10:26 PM, stefanDB said:

wood

good that you choose a Material who are not burn if the get to hot.

From AT. :x

44 minutes ago, Required said:

good that you choose a Material who are not burn if the get to hot.

Wood has to be way hotter than 100°C to even start charring. No worries there, especially since you don't want your components that hot in the first place. Wood is a great material to start making stuff in general.

• 2 years later...
On 9/17/2020 at 4:54 PM, airborne spoon said:

Looks like a science project. Is this a mining rig?

The biggest dangers are kids, and flying objects from said kids.

But if you pull out then you have nothing to worry about 😎

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

Open air testbench cases are pretty cheap now.  I picked up two for like $20 each on sale, sized for full ATX boards and a standard ATX power supply.  I've run a computer like that for close to a year, aside from being jank it's quite okay, and temperatures are low.  I have no children or pets.

This post has been ninja-edited while you weren't looking.

I'm a used parts bottom feeder.  Your loss is my gain.

I like people who tell good RGB jokes.

On 6/27/2023 at 6:41 PM, dancingfridge said:

Looks like a science project. Is this a mining rig?

Nope just a standard computer with 2 separate loops, hell only 1 GPU, had a RX480 at the time when I took this pic.

Thing weighed a ton once it was finished was a real PITA to get it up on the wall by myself. If this looks like a mining rig you apparently never did any real mining 😂