RTX 3080 founders edition possible cooling problem

JoshPJ

Looking at the diagram, will my top mounted radiator for my cpu aio face some trouble due to the heat output, the aio fans are below the radiator pushing the air through as exhaust fans

3080 cooling.png

CPU: Ryzen 3700X Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Pro Wifi CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken x62 Rev 2 RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000Mhz GPU: Asus TUF OC RTX 3080 SSD: 250GB SK Hynix SATA and 2x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Cooler Master NR200 Monitor: LG 27GL850 Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum Mouse: Razer Viper Audio: Sennheiser PC37X and Logitech G560 Speakers

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

You still have a cooling effect. Just not as much of one.

reckon it would be worth turning the fans into intake so ive got intake at the top and front and exhausting out the back?

CPU: Ryzen 3700X Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Pro Wifi CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken x62 Rev 2 RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000Mhz GPU: Asus TUF OC RTX 3080 SSD: 250GB SK Hynix SATA and 2x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Cooler Master NR200 Monitor: LG 27GL850 Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum Mouse: Razer Viper Audio: Sennheiser PC37X and Logitech G560 Speakers

Wait for proper reviews to come out. I bet GamersNexus will discuss that topic in depth. Depending on how effective the main fan is on exhausting out the back, the second may only have to deal with memory and vrm heat, which is far less then with the older RTX cards that pushed all the hot air up top. 

The hot air from current open air designs gets sent through your radiator anyway, this will just be more direct. It'll be fine, and if you're truly worried about it you can just buy an AIB card without the pass-through airflow design.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

10 minutes ago, JoshPJ said:

reckon it would be worth turning the fans into intake so ive got intake at the top and front and exhausting out the back?

experiment?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

1 minute ago, Jurrunio said:

experiment?

Too much effort :D

43 minutes ago, JoshPJ said:

Nope, not worth it. You're going to be cycling warm air doing that.

You do realize that the new FE is actually better than strix etc for the top radiator? Those kind of coolers leave all of the heat in the case that then is exhausted by your radiator or top rear exhaust fan.

It will be fine. I don’t understand why people are making a deal out of this cooler. 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

This may be the first time that aftermarket boards may have trouble keeping up with the cooling of the reference boards. I can't wait to see how it develops.

19 hours ago, Gohardgrandpa said:

It will be fine. I don’t understand why people are making a deal out of this cooler. 

New gen of gpus after many many years, radically new cooler design possibly cooking your cpu alive, I don't understand it either, people should just stop asking so many questions!  ._.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

radically new cooler design possibly cooking your cpu alive

Not a single reviewer has ever mentioned that it could do that. They have said that it could affect bleeding-edge overclocks for RAM, or borderline cooling systems. (neither of which apply to the OP)

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

9 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

New gen of gpus after many many years, radically new cooler design possibly cooking your cpu alive, I don't understand it either, people should just stop asking so many questions!  ._.

You don't think they tested this cooler design out? Why the hell would they release something that's gonna roast your cpu alive?

It's a split design, the blower style towards the back of the case is gonna be where the heat is at. It's gonna launch heat out the back of the case, it's not gonna launch 80c heat towards your cpu cooler. This is nonsense, I've said enough, have fun worrying about this

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

1 hour ago, Gohardgrandpa said:

You don't think they tested this cooler design out? Why the hell would they release something that's gonna roast your cpu alive?

^ This. 

There is no way they didnt test this card inside normal cases with normal air cooled cpus (or AIOs). From the looks of that card's pcb, most of the hot air will probably be exhausted by the blower style fan at the back of the card and only a smaller part of the heat would go to hte other fan ... 

Reviews for the founders edition are going live later this week, on 16th. I bet steve from gamers nexus will do a pretty in depth piece on this card and its cooling performance and possible issues.

I cant wait for that day to arrive :D

2 hours ago, Gohardgrandpa said:

AIB designs have blown hot air towards the CPU since ever...not seen it fry a CPU yet because of that. And I dont think they did test the cooler...not properly I think. Not for 3-6 months in a typical gamers room with dust, cheetos and mice..

3 hours ago, Gohardgrandpa said:

You don't think they tested this cooler design out?

Not properly, why would they even care , are people going to buy AMD GPUs instead? Hahaha, no, this is their final blow to kill AMD where it hurts them most (poor Intel though, did nothing wrong...~)

Spoiler

Seriously people

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 9/12/2020 at 10:32 PM, JoshPJ said:

Personally I wouldn't do that as it's more likely to disrupt airflow and it conflicts with natural convection. Plus I don't think the heat issues are going to be that problematic for the CPU that you'd need to something like that. It's potentially more problematic for people with air coolers.

Where I think it could potentially make a difference is to your RAM, if you've got it overclocked or are using an XMP profile. It's possible it might destabilise it if it heats up the DIMMs, which I think it could very well do, since - if the diagram is accurate - it's channelling hot air upwards and potentially over the RAM heatsinks. What kind of effect that could have remains to be seen.

Part of the hot air is being expelled from the back of the card, which should help but it's still a 340 watt card. The 3090 requires only 10 watts more than the 3080 and the 3070 requires only 220 watts. The RTX 2080 required only 225 watts. So...the 3080 and 3090 at 340 & 350 watts respectively, will almost certainly run hot, but if half of the heat dissipation is expelled through the back of the case it might not be so bad... 

...that having been said, it seems it's still going to be directing hot air over the RAM heatsinks. 

But yeah, my main concern is my RAM XMP O.C. because it looks like the 3080 could channel focused, hot airflow over the RAM heatsinks (if the diagram is accurate and the air isn't expelled conically.)

On 9/12/2020 at 10:37 PM, Applefreak said:

Wait for proper reviews to come out. I bet GamersNexus will discuss that topic in depth.

^ this

Steve Burke at Gamers Nexus said he's going to do a full tear down and take a detailed look at the thermals.

On 9/13/2020 at 12:10 AM, Gohardgrandpa said:

It's exciting, especially if you're a cooling otaku :0)

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

25 minutes ago, GuruMeditationError said:

-snip-

Yeap, it's gonna be certainly interesting to see, and *actually* hard to predict, though easy to test... Didn't even think of the RAM, that did nothing wrong too! :o

1 hour ago, PriitM said:

AIB designs have blown hot air towards the CPU since ever...

Actually that's not quite correct as with a traditional configuration the Pcb is in fact blocking the hot air to go directly towards the CPU making the fans blow the (allegedly hot) air to the sides (technically the air cannot go through the Pcb in a traditional cooling configuration, if that makes sense?)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

34 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Actually that's not quite correct as with a traditional configuration the Pcb is in fact blocking the hot air to go directly towards the CPU making the fans blow the (allegedly hot) air to the sides (technically the air cannot go through the Pcb in a traditional cooling configuration, if that makes sense?)

Still the side that exhausts onto the motherboard will force hot air on either side: towards the bottom and above. So technically, its blowing some hot air over motherboard components. Most often, M.2 SSDs are located between CPU and GPU...and gets quite toasty. 

3 minutes ago, PriitM said:

Still the side that exhausts onto the motherboard will force hot air on either side: towards the bottom and above. So technically, its blowing some hot air over motherboard components. Most often, M.2 SSDs are located between CPU and GPU...and gets quite toasty. 

True, in a way it all depends how much hot air actually gets exhausted through the back with the 30xx cards... Which currently is an unknown to us. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

True, in a way it all depends how much hot air actually gets exhausted through the back with the 30xx cards... Which currently is an unknown to us. 

Indeed. I personally think alot, considering how thick the AIB coolers are... the dont throw radiator area at a problem for nothing. RX 5000 series proved that where the AIBs threw radiator area to cool everything...

No different from the last card you were running or traditional card layouts. If anything this one will be better than those.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

18 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

No different from the last card you were running or traditional card layouts. If anything this one will be better than those.

Gamers Nexus are doing a tear-down and looking closely at the thermals; we just have to wait for the 16th.

There's a chance it might cause problems for people with RAM overclocks but it remains to be seen. 

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2