Haswell Real World Performance: DDR3-1600 is Not Enough

E.Beadle
Go to solution Solved by E.Beadle,

Didnt Linus actually do tests with a whole bunch of different ram speeds and show that of all the tests they did ONLY battlefield showed any negligible improvement in frame rates?

Im not saying its a total crock, more speed is more speed, but an article written by a memory maker company saying "YOU NEED FASTER MEMORY" should be taken with a grain of salt.

Source?

A single test from a single person does not constitute a valid contradiction. Corsair even said in the article that the benefit of faster memory was not definitive, but exists depending on the hardware and software configuration.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/blog/2014/march/haswellrealworld

The prevailing wisdom in the enthusiast community has been, for generations, that DDR3-1600 is the sweet spot and that faster memory offers at best extremely limited performance improvement and that at worst, it’s snake oil. There’s an element of truth to that; AMD’s Bulldozer architecture and its derivatives see arguably minimal benefit from faster memory, and Ivy Bridge and its predecessors actually were just fine at DDR3-1600. So the idea that the paradigm might have shifted is tough to swallow because it goes against wisdom that’s been ingrained for years, a veritable lifetime in our industry.

Except that it has. DDR3-1600 is quite simply no longer enough for modern chips outside of Ivy Bridge-E and Vishera. That Kaveri benefits from faster memory (at least on the GPU side) is a foregone conclusion that was confirmed by our testing. AnandTech already exhaustively detailed performance scaling with different memory speeds on Haswell, and I’ve studied the effect of memory speed on Battlefield 4’s performance. Between our work and AnandTech’s extremely thorough research, you’d think there would finally be a pervasive understanding of the benefit of faster memory on Haswell, but that hasn’t been the case.

"Overdrive" | My Desktop PC:  Case: Corsair 750D | CPU:  I7-4790K | Motherboard:  Asus z97 Deluxe NFC & WLC | CPU Cooler: Corsair h100i Push Pull | Memory/Ram:  Corsair Dominator Platinum 32gb 1600mhz  OS Disk| SSD: Samsung EVO 840 250Gb ; Storage Disc:  HDD: 1 WD 3tb Black |  Graphics Card: EVGA 780Ti Superclocked  ACX | Corsair AXi 860w
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Peripherals: Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 | Logitech G13 Gaming Keyboard | Mouse: Logitech G700s | Speakers: Logitech z506 | Tablet: Wacom Intuos Pro Medium | Monitors: ASUS Pro Art 248Q  | Calibration: Xrite i1 Display Pro | Printer: Coming Soon

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/blog/2014/march/haswellrealworld

The prevailing wisdom in the enthusiast community has been, for generations, that DDR3-1600 is the sweet spot and that faster memory offers at best extremely limited performance improvement and that at worst, it’s snake oil. There’s an element of truth to that; AMD’s Bulldozer architecture and its derivatives see arguably minimal benefit from faster memory, and Ivy Bridge and its predecessors actually were just fine at DDR3-1600. So the idea that the paradigm might have shifted is tough to swallow because it goes against wisdom that’s been ingrained for years, a veritable lifetime in our industry.

Except that it has. DDR3-1600 is quite simply no longer enough for modern chips outside of Ivy Bridge-E and Vishera. That Kaveri benefits from faster memory (at least on the GPU side) is a foregone conclusion that was confirmed by our testing. AnandTech already exhaustively detailed performance scaling with different memory speeds on Haswell, and I’ve studied the effect of memory speed on Battlefield 4’s performance. Between our work and AnandTech’s extremely thorough research, you’d think there would finally be a pervasive understanding of the benefit of faster memory on Haswell, but that hasn’t been the case.

that if it needs testing to prove, people don't need it yet.

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110

I have 1866 mhz memory and I don't notice a difference...

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Hmm, Corsair wants you to buy their more expensive 1866MHz+ RAM kits, I wonder why?

In all seriousness, I'm going 1866 when I build my PC. Touch more future-resistant

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Hmm, Corsair wants you to buy their more expensive 1866MHz+ RAM kits, I wonder why?

In all seriousness, I'm going 1866 when I build my PC. Touch more future-resistant

I don't see what the point in them making this article is. It's almost retarded in my opinion.

People who can afford to stretch for the price gap from 1600->1866 take it, the people who go with 1600 won't care about the 2 frames difference because they can't afford to care. If it doesn't fit their budget, IT DOESN'T FIT THEIR BUDGET, and if it does, they'll take it. There's much better places to put 30-40$ more such as a better PSU.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before anything.. I'd quote that text if I were you.

And on the article itself.. Unless you build your pc just for benchmarks (memory demanding that is) I still don't see a point to faster memory. As none of those graphs will have anything to do with real world performance, on anything but benchies.

you do realize that they tested with games and real world applications in addition to the synthetic benchmarks, right?

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

paying 50 % more for 5 % more performance. seems reasonable!

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

you do realize that they tested with games and real world applications in addition to the synthetic benchmarks, right?

Actually I didn't =P But I can't be bothered by starcraft xD And I'm not running 7zip the entirety of the day so..

Don't really need to run my memory at 2400mhz in my own case..

Since its quad channel it runs above 40gb/s bandwith anyway

Yarrrr, ye be warned lily-livered scallywags

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLMJpHihykI#t=93

Haven't there been a flood of news posts over the last year saying the exact opposite...?

Its always hard to trust something someone says when they have something to gain out of it.

the prices are too high for us bothering with high speed RAM, and still you can get some Adata $79.90 1600mhz 2x4gb kit and OC it like crazy.

Haven't there been a flood of news posts over the last year saying the exact opposite...?

Its always hard to trust something someone says when they have something to gain out of it.

there have been benchmarks from different groups showing bf4 gets better fps depending on your memory clocks. if i go from 1333 to use the normal clocks that i have (1866) my fps jumps up by like 7-8 fps.

Anandtech had a interesting article similar to this. Basically it says that 1886 CL9 is the new sweet spot. It can be found for the same price or a dollar or two more than 1600 mhz ram. It will only give you a small performance boost, so don't expect anything spectacular.

Never trust a hug. Its just a way to hide your face - The Doctor (Sounds something like the grumpy cat would say)

It's funny how some people still think that there's a price difference from DDR3 1600 to 1866. If you search it up enough, you'll see that prices don't start to go up until after DDR3 2400. 

There have been many articles on this over the past year.  Basically  for the amount of performance you get you are throwing your money away.  The same Lower clock ram standard applies.  Unless you want to spend a ridiculous amount of money to get a noticeable but uneeded amount of performance boost.

@piplupgao  Might just be a better clock at 1866 with the latency.

That's funny, because I was thinking of picking up a 16GB kit of gold Adata 2400MHz just last week but thought, "Naw, 1600 is fine for me". I might have to rethink that.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Case: NZXT H500i. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A. CPU: i7 9700k OC @ 5.0GHz. GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 CPU Cooler: NZXT X62. Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 32Gb 3200mhz. Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD /  120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD  /  WD Caviar Black 3TB / WD Caviar Green 4TB. . PSU: Corsair AX760. Monitor: 2x Acer XB270HU. Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB. Mouse: Corsair Glaive. 

Hmm, looks like I may OC my RAM after all.

1.45V CL9 1600MHz on stock... can I expect 1866MHz without increasing CL?

I bought my 2400mhz when ram prices spiked, and they were as much as some 1600mhz. I did it because ddr4 is 2133 stock and I do a lot of work besides gaming.

Case: CM Storm Trooper I CPU: 4770k @4.5ghz I Cpu cooler: H110 I RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16gb 2400mhz I GPU: Sapphire 7970 OC I Mobo: Msi gd65 I PSU: Corsair rm 750w I KEYBOARD: Cm Storm Trigger cherry mx blue I MOUSE: Corsair m65 I MONITORS: ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz and Acer X223W 22" 60hz I AUDIO: Corsair vengeance 1500

i have 1866 and its fine i wont be upgrading until ddr4 when there is real speed increase and density im not going to buy new ram for an old platform.

Before anything.. I'd quote that text if I were you.

And on the article itself.. Seems I stand corrected but I still wouldn't bother myself with buying to0 expensive memory, got something clockable.

The link is the source. 

--------------------------------------------------------

Much like some other users, I'm not a gamer, Most of my work is done reading, writing, transfering data...

On average I probably am shifting data to a thumdrive, or an external drive every other day. 

Everday I am usually editing a photo. 

I may game on the PC around 10 to 11 hours I'f im home and bored. 

Other than that, Photoshop, indesign or its computer repair, disk diagnosis, or disk recovery im doing. 

Hence why i found this interesting. 

My personal take, Price per performance ...DDR4 is dangerously close to being released. Its a poor time to do a build. by this time next year. DDR3 will be mainly used/needed for pc repairs or small time upgrades.  DDR2 is damn near faded out except in laptops. Its rare I get a DDR2 desktop....laptop all the time and even then.. rare. 

"Overdrive" | My Desktop PC:  Case: Corsair 750D | CPU:  I7-4790K | Motherboard:  Asus z97 Deluxe NFC & WLC | CPU Cooler: Corsair h100i Push Pull | Memory/Ram:  Corsair Dominator Platinum 32gb 1600mhz  OS Disk| SSD: Samsung EVO 840 250Gb ; Storage Disc:  HDD: 1 WD 3tb Black |  Graphics Card: EVGA 780Ti Superclocked  ACX | Corsair AXi 860w
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Peripherals: Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 | Logitech G13 Gaming Keyboard | Mouse: Logitech G700s | Speakers: Logitech z506 | Tablet: Wacom Intuos Pro Medium | Monitors: ASUS Pro Art 248Q  | Calibration: Xrite i1 Display Pro | Printer: Coming Soon

we are really close to ddr4 cpu's
i wouldn't bother really if i were you

Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
I've learned that something constructive comes from every defeat.