Smart Face Mask Coming Soon

Summary 

Japanese company Donut has developed a smart facemask to combat diifculties with being understood while wearing a mask

Quotes

Face masks are necessary, but they can be inconvenient when it comes to using our smartphones like normal. Perhaps the c-mask would cut down on the number of people pulling down their face masks to talk into their phones.

My thoughts

The c-mask is a new accessory from tech statup Donut Robotics in Japan, which can be used while wearing a face mask acts as a Bluetooth microphone to provide better quality audio to your smartphone, allowing you to use voice commands on your device more easily while maintaining proper health and safety standards related to the pamdemic.

Additionally, features such as being able to link it to a Bluetooth speaker could have broader applications in situations like teaching or office meetings, where masks might interfere with being properly understood while addressing a group of people.

Futhermore, there seems to be indication that the device will allow users to take advantage of the language translation features originally developed for their Cinnamon robot, though it appears this service will require a paid subscription.

Donut expects to start taking pre-orders soon, with the accessory expected to retail for USD$40. Don't he too excited yet though, the device is only expected to be available in Japan when it launches later this year, but the a representative for the company says they want to make the c-mask available in other countries worldwide in the future.

Sources

https://www.cnet.com/news/this-smart-face-mask-can-talk-to-your-phone-and-amplify-your-voice/

Edited by Hereimiz
Updated link for non-mobile devices

C-mask ? 

Does it have a type c port ? 🤔

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

These smart devices are really getting out of hand...

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

nice, this'll be useful to a lot of people. 

i'm pretty sure the people who unironically believe in the 5g crap will lose their minds at the thought of a bluetooth radio on their face but it'll be a good laugh to make fun of them if they take notice of this lol

She/Her

8 hours ago, Hereimiz said:

Summary 

Japanese company Donut has developed a smart facemask to combat diifculties with being understood while wearing a mask

Quotes

My thoughts

The c-mask is a new accessory from tech statup Donut Robotics in Japan, which can be used while wearing a face mask acts as a Bluetooth microphone to provide better quality audio to your smartphone, allowing you to use voice commands on your device more easily while maintaining proper health and safety standards related to the pamdemic.

Additionally, features such as being able to link it to a Bluetooth speaker could have broader applications in situations like teaching or office meetings, where masks might interfere with being properly understood while addressing a group of people.

Futhermore, there seems to be indication that the device will allow users to take advantage of the language translation features originally developed for their Cinnamon robot, though it appears this service will require a paid subscription.

Donut expects to start taking pre-orders soon, with the accessory expected to retail for USD$40. Don't he too excited yet though, the device is only expected to be available in Japan when it launches later this year, but the a representative for the company says they want to make the c-mask available in other countries worldwide in the future.

Sources

https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/this-smart-face-mask-can-talk-to-your-phone-and-amplify-your-voice/

Can you update source to this version of the link? 

https://www.cnet.com/news/this-smart-face-mask-can-talk-to-your-phone-and-amplify-your-voice/

google amp link is meant for mobile devices

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

They might also do well in China.  Tonal languages iirc are particularly susceptible to the problems of masks.  Less so English or other non tonal languages. I can see why not bothering with the US or Europe makes sense.  Japan to start then probably tonal language countries next.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

14 hours ago, Hereimiz said:

That's actually not a bad idea in principle. In practice, nobody will buy this for that purpose except vTuber's. I could see how one might make a mask that works like an N95, and Microphone (just stick a regular 3.5mm jack on it), and then have software on a smartphone act as a speaker, Speech-to-Text system, and a "fake mouth" so that people can still see a visual cue for when you're talking. 

I think it would have more utility for Dentists, Doctors and hospital/clinic staff.

22 hours ago, r2724r16 said:

These smart devices are really getting out of hand...

Out of hand, but on to faces!

Ha..Ha..ha...

...sorry

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

8 hours ago, Kisai said:

I could see how one might make a mask that works like an N95, and Microphone (just stick a regular 3.5mm jack on it), and then have software on a smartphone act as a speaker, Speech-to-Text system, and a "fake mouth" so that people can still see a visual cue for when you're talking. 

I think it would have more utility for Dentists, Doctors and hospital/clinic staff.

Now, that would be a funny halloween costume. This may be a future pi zero project 😃

If the LEDs on the mask are monochromatic, emotes could be done in 8-bit style.

Yeah, that wouldn't be Japanese at all. Nope!

32 minutes ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

Absolutely. I thought the same when I saw this --->'You can hack a dildo' - MP warns smart sex toys could be a security risk

I’m going to not think about that one very hard thankyouverymuch . The visuals are disturbing.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

Absolutely. I thought the same when I saw this --->'You can hack a dildo' - MP warns smart sex toys could be a security risk

They already have sex toys that you can control with your smartphone so it isn't unreasonable for your brain to go there. 😏