Hidden cost of hardware

PeachGr

Well I am a gamer since 1999 and after 2005i got to the online gaming.

And as I see LMG and other PC builders,I m thinking of an almost never addressed issue.

If you have an i9-10900(165w) and an Nvidia 2080 ti(260w) a full RGB system (~40w)and a high end 2k monitor (60w)all tuned to maximum have you consider the electricity cost? 

You burn more than 500 watts for hours, and days. 

I m aware that I used 60w at idle, and you won't run everything to maximum everytime

PC cost isn't only the sum of the parts, after a point you pay a "rent" to your PC

4 minutes ago, PeachGr said:

And as I see LMG and other PC builders,I m thinking of an almost never addressed issue.

If you have an i9-10900(165w) and an Nvidia 2080 ti(260w) a full RGB system (~40w)and a high end 2k monitor (60w)all tuned to maximum have you consider the electricity cost? 

I m aware that I used 60w at idle, and you won't run everything to maximum everytime

PC cost isn't only the sum of the parts, after a point you pay a "rent" to your PC

How is this an issue? That's like buying a fridge and complaining about the power bill.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

I don't know about other countries, but over here in Hungary having a powerhungry PC haven't really effected my electicity bills when I used it "normally".

When I was folding 24/7 for a month straight it did go up somewhat higher but I can't remember how much more did I have to pay.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

Just now, vong said:

How is this an issue? That's like buying a fridge and complaining about the power bill.

More than 500w? A fridge is less than 10watts. That is a cost of house heating  (well almost)

Just now, Cyberspirit said:

I don't know about other countries, but over here in Hungary having a powerhungry PC haven't really effected my electicity bills when I used it "normally".

When I was folding 24/7 for a month straight it did go up somewhat higher but I can't remember how much more did I have to pay.

Yeah I thought about that at folding as well!

Isn't it generation going green and worry about cost and power savings? Dunno

Lets take the 500W for example. And lets say you game 8 hours a day 365 days.  So 8 hours a day you will have full draw.

500 x 8 = 4KWh per day x 365 = 1460 KWh

Quick google says 13,2 cents per Kwh in the US, so 1460 x 13,2 = 192 Dollar per year in this insane example.

In the grand scheme of all your other eletrical use.. it matters little

3 minutes ago, PeachGr said:

More than 500w? A fridge is less than 10watts. That is a cost of house heating  (well almost)

A fridge is  more like 100-200W 

12 minutes ago, PeachGr said:

You're saying it as if the computer would constantly consume it's max amount of power. Which it does not. When just browsing the web that whole system would maybe consule around 130w. It's like bursting. Also a fridge consumes way more than 10w. It works in bursts but is always slightly active exactly like a computer does.

1 minute ago, Dujith said:

A fridge is  more like 100-200W 

Most of the time it doesn't even work

Well I didn't say I pay  500$ / month, but yeah I did play that much in the past :D thanks for the math

Electricity cost in Germany is one of the highest worldwide I believe (we are also leading in taxes and useless bureaucracy, yay...) and I remember my mom complaining that the power bill was a actually a couple hundred euros higher (like 200 ish i think) per year when when I was excessively using my first real gaming rig. Granted it was a phenom ii 1090T with a radeon hd6970 (roughly 375W ish tdp)...

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

During the whole winter the system also supplements my room with heating, as such in effect it isnt all money down the drain.

Also you will find systems rarely draw near their full load potencial as they just do not encounter scenarios where no components are a limiting factor. 

There is also "hidden" costs in terms of a whole load of household appliances. 

41 minutes ago, PeachGr said:

ou burn more than 500 watts for hours, and days. 

Actually you don't. Your PC doesn't draw max all the time. You have to calculate how much time its spends on idle, general web surfing will use less power, Sleep, etc. You really only use Max power when you have a heavy load. Even not all games will draw out heavy power usage. Even though you have a 500 watt PSU doesn't mean your computer will ever consume even close to that. Many people over size their PSU's to make sure they have enough extra for upgrades in the future. 

Then you also have to consider the cost of electricity. It doesn't cost the same all around the world. Some places its very cheap, some places its very expensive, just depends on where you live. Here in the US it can vary region to region, on top of the fact we heavily regulate utilities in this country. I have 1 gaming PC, 1 Plex server and a MacBook, with all the other things in the house we have our DTE (utility) bill was $130 USD last month, that's for Electric and Natural Gas. Thats about average, it can get up to $300 in a month during the Winter due to heating costs, but for the most part its very affordable. 

Other hidden costs you should consider however is the cost of Internet, the cost of any data overage charges you may have. The cost of your games.  

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

25 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

During the whole winter the system also supplements my room with heating, as such in effect it isnt all money down the drain.

Also you will find systems rarely draw near their full load potencial as they just do not encounter scenarios where no components are a limiting factor. 

There is also "hidden" costs in terms of a whole load of household appliances. 

Well I run my whole system, tower and peripherals through the same wall outlet ( a smart plug) I hit maximum 350w but there are more powerhungry systems out there

literally the same for every single electrical appliance, your car, yourself, pets etc

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

2 minutes ago, Arika S said:

literally the same for every single electrical appliance, your car, yourself, pets etc

Cars even worse because you have to put petrol in it and pay tax, insurance, MOT etc 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

Electric devices consume power, news at eleven!

1 hour ago, PeachGr said:

1972621824_bettyokdear.gif.cac5a02019b869970f67a271c5fad1a7.gif

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

12 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Cars even worse because you have to put petrol in it and pay tax, insurance, MOT etc 

PC pays a little if you can write it off as a work pc with 100% work usage (wonder if they even check that) over 3 years. at least you can where i live. could even balance electricity cost in that time.

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

2 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

PC pays a little if you can write it off as a work pc with 100% work usage (wonder if they even check that) over 3 years. at least you can where i live. could even balance electricity cost in that time.

Even then though it’s not extremely expensive as you’re not running it at say 300W 24/7. You’re probably averaging like 50W an hour usage. 

Just now, Lord Vile said:

Even then though it’s not extremely expensive as you’re not running it at say 300W 24/7. You’re probably averaging like 50W an hour usage. 

I might run it 24/7 when I'm folding tho .... ThE mOre I sPeNd thE mOrE I SaVe 😛

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

18 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

I might run it 24/7 when I'm folding tho .... ThE mOre I sPeNd thE mOrE I SaVe 😛

UNDERVOLT IT THEN!!!