ZEUS (Fractal R4 | Blue/Black | Internal UT60 Rad) - by alpenwasser [COMPLETE]

This is a pretty original idea. The only thing I'm thinking is... how are you going to power it off with the psu inlet facing the front of the case? :)

This is a pretty original idea. The only thing I'm thinking is... how are you going to power it off with the psu inlet facing the front of the case? :)

Thanks! :)

I can just open the door and push the button on the PSU, it's still easily accessible

I'm going to mount a C14 inlet adapter on the case's back side where I can just plug

in a cable as usual. The power delivery will go into the 90 degree adapter pictured in

an earlier post, from there an internal power cable will go to the C14 port on the back.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Hey alpenwasser! Nice to see you here too :D

Smexy build!

Hey alpenwasser! Nice to see you here too :D

Smexy build!

Hey Ninja, nice to see you too! :)

Thanks! I'm currently watching the terabytes being shuffled around between my ext4

partitions and the new ZFS pool. I think I know what I'll be doing for the next few

days. :lol:

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Very nice build logs, enjoyed reading through the progress so far, it looks great, cant wait.

I dream of 0s and 1s folding to my every command,

algorithms seeping from the back of my head when I need them.

WOW this is the most complex build I have seen!!!

System Specs: CPU: AMD Athlon X2 II 3.21 GHz Memory: 2GB DDR2 800MHZ Hard Drive: 2x 80GB 7200RPM JBOD Graphics Card: Hopefully ATi Radeon HD 5750

Very nice build logs, enjoyed reading through the progress so far, it looks great, cant wait.

Thank you! :)

WOW this is the most complex build I have seen!!!

Haha, well there's always scratch builds. :lol:

Thanks though! :)

• 3 weeks later...

no updates ? :P

-Corsair Carbide 500r + TX-750w V2 | Asus P5Q Deluxe + Intel Core2Duo E8400 @ 3.8Ghz + 2x2GB G.Skill DDR2 1066mhz

-Sapphire HD4890 1GB DDR5 (New Edition) + 1x Intel SSD 330 120GB + 2x Seagate Barracuda 500GB SlimSinglePlate (RAID0)

This thing is awesome. Love the originality and effort. Bravo!

Wannabe enthusiast...proud owner of a 2005 STi though. BRAAAP!

no updates ? :P

It's almost done, I'm currently rearranging my room to be able to take some proper pictures

over the weekend that actually do it justice (I hope). :)

This thing is awesome. Love the originality and effort. Bravo!

Thank you! 

Ho, you have another Build Log :D

Great stuff here :) Keep up

Hehe, I do indeed, thanks! :)

Complete! (For Now ;))

Finally I'm pretty much done. There's still a few tiny details I might iron out once

I get the time (busy with HELIOS at the moment for the most part), but for now

I'll leave her as she is.

Overall I'm pretty happy with how things have turned out. I won't claim to be the

first one who's ever done a similar mod, but I'm the first one I know of, and I think

it's a pretty neat idea for my specific usage scenario. Not having to use any add-

on cards has allowed me to use the internal space of the R4 in a very optimal

fashion for the hardware I've put in this rig.

Some Niggles and Thoughts

I'm not 100 % happy with the back plate, and if I had to redo it I would either have

somebody CNC it or at least find a workshop where I can use a drill press, but

considering nobody's ever going to see it anyway I'm actually still pretty satisfied

with the result. And now that the black fans are underneath the holes and the holes

have been painted inside and outside the errors in the hole pattern are actually

much harder to spot and don't just jump out at you anymore (at least not with

me :lol: ).

Also, the SATA power cable sleeving is not yet perfect, but it's just so much work

to redo it that I might leave it as is nonetheless. We'll see, maybe I'll get so bored

at some point that I'll feel compelled to redo the sleeving on those cables. :D

The yellow on the pump is a bit of an eye sore as well, but I haven't really found

a way to repaint the yellow bits so that they actually look good, so I'd rather have

that factory-looking yellow than a horrible paint job on that. I'm considering just

painting the entire pump black, we'll see. It's not like the yellow is very visible, quite

the opposite in fact.

I must admit that the SP120's, even though they are the quiet edition fans, are

not really quiet and the fan controller I've made has definitely been a good

investment of my time. So with the fans turned down it really is a pretty quiet rig,

especially considering that the WD R4's are enterprise HDDs and are therefore

not exactly the quietest of drives.

Aside from that I'm very happy with the rig, I think it's a pretty nice little machine. :)

It's not perfect, but with the means I had at my disposal I think I've done pretty well.

It's also been a very good learning experience, and I intend to incorporate the lessons

learned into HELIOS (which is one of the reasons I completed this project first).

Temps

Temps are pretty good at the moment:

• Ambient temp: 23.7 C
  • Idle temps: 31 C, 31 C, 28 C, 27 C (four cores)
  • Load temps (BOINC): 44 C, 45 C, 43 C, 42 C (stock voltages)
  • HDD temps when CPU is under load: 41~42 C (RE4), 32~33 C (Red)
I will be overclocking this machine to some degree, but not too much. It still needs

to stay rather quiet. I will update with results when I have them.

Anyway, enough with the chit-chat.

(click image for full res)

aw--zeus--2013-06-23--01--complete-close

aw--zeus--2013-06-23--02--complete-open.

aw--zeus--2013-06-23--03--innards-front.

aw--zeus--2013-06-23--04--back-side.png

aw--zeus--2013-06-23--05--cpu-area.png

That looks really gorgeous. I think you'd have been better off with the sound dampened side panel rather than the windowed one if you were really focusing on silence but I definitely understand why you didn't, of course :p.

That looks really gorgeous. I think you'd have been better off with the sound dampened side panel rather than the windowed one if you were really focusing on silence but I definitely understand why you didn't, of course :P.

Well I still have the normal side panel, I bought the windowed panel after I'd bought

the case. So if the noise turns out to be too much I can still switch back. At the

moment it's not a problem, but once I start to O/C the machine I might indeed have

to do that.

So happy to see this build complete! Looks very clean and I like it.  :)

CPU: RYZEN 5 2600   Motherboard: MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC   Memory: CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 16GB 3200MHZ   Storage: TEAM GROUP MP33 1TB

GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW   Case: COOLER MASTER NR200P   PSU: CORSAIR SF600   Mouse: G PRO WIRELESS   Keyboard: ANNE PRO 2

So happy to see this build complete! Looks very clean and I like it.  :)

Thanks, I appreciate the support! :)

Look awesome mate, I'm jelly of your 24pin lacing :D

Haha, thanks! Yeah, I got the hint, one tutorial coming up. :lol:

It's amazing how much work you've put into making this really unique.  The radiator placement, power supply positioning, cable lacing, and so on.  It's really cool to see that kind of stuff that you won't really see anywhere else.

Awesome build! :)

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

Man this looks nice :o

It's amazing how much work you've put into making this really unique.  The radiator placement, power supply positioning, cable lacing, and so on.  It's really cool to see that kind of stuff that you won't really see anywhere else.

Awesome build! :)

Thanks! :)

Yeah it really has been quite a lot of work. But I'm happy to see it's paid off, and

one of my goals was indeed to make this somewhat unique (although that wasn't the point,

my primary goal was just to find the best possible solutions for my specific problems,

and this is what I've ended up with).

Funny thing is, the rig is not actually all that expensive. Leaving out the HDDs it's

pretty attainable in fact. Not cheap, but attainable. One could easily have saved a few

bucks here and there to reduce costs (i5 instead of i7, GD55, fewer HDDs, less expensive

W/C components...) if the budget was a bit more constrained, and it would still turn

out quite similarly. Most of what makes it what it is is just hard work and a lot of

planning.

That looks damn good man!

nice build

Thanks folks, much appreciated! :)