ZEUS (Fractal R4 | Blue/Black | Internal UT60 Rad) - by alpenwasser [COMPLETE]

I saw HELIOS and then immediately came over to check out ZEUS... Amazing.

I saw HELIOS and then immediately came over to check out ZEUS... Amazing.

Thank you for your kind words, they are highly appreciated. :)

EDIT - 2013-JUL-20:

Wooot! Passed 30 000 views, I'd never have thought to get this far. Thanks everyone!

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

• 2 months later...

Oh, that is actually worth the bump, thanks for the notice! thumb.gif

I think it might have something to do with me posting this in OCN's water club gallery

earlier today, not sure though since I haven't received any other notifications so far.

It's cool that they actually paid enough attention to address the Oh there's no GPU!

posts. :lol:

Since I'm not on FB I can't respond there, but just in case anyone from there is

reading this: There is no dedicated RAID card because I don't need additional SATA

ports, and ZFS doesn't appreciate a RAID card interfering with its business.

EDIT:

Ha, I saw you posted my quote on their page, thanks for that! :)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Hey, Alpenwasser. I'm thinking and planning about my own build with a Fractal R4 (or newer in the future) where I have the trippel rad infront, for the reason of having a GPU.

Are there any restrictions or reason with the R4 case which makes you not able to place a trippel rad infront. :)

I really love your builds and they have been inspiering me to want to upgrade and mod my own computer in the future!

Hey Norways, welcome to the forum!

You'll need to take out the HDD cages (very easy, they are bolted down with screws)

and the 5.25" cage (fairly easy, just a matter of drilling out a few rivets) and maybe put

in a bit of reinforcement for the front since there really isn't much left of the front

structure once all the cages are removed (although probably the radiator itself will

provide enough strengthening).

But I can't really think of any factors which would prevent such an undertaking.
The internal height of the R4 should certainly suffice; it's the same height front

and back, after all, and I didn't have any problems fitting my radiator. I'll take a look

inside my machine tomorrow when I can shut it down to be sure though.

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask. :)

Hey, Alpenwasser. I'm thinking and planning about my own build with a Fractal R4 (or newer in the future) where I have the trippel rad infront, for the reason of having a GPU.

Are there any restrictions or reason with the R4 case which makes you not able to place a trippel rad infront. :)

I really love your builds and they have been inspiering me to want to upgrade and mod my own computer in the future!

Because the Define R4 only offers space for a 280mm radiator and it would require a completly new front panel to make space for a 360mm rad. 

I also believe that he chose the back just to keep the runs of the tubing short and clean :) 

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

Because the Define R4 only offers space for a 280mm radiator and it would require a completly new front panel to make space for a 360mm rad. 

I also believe that he chose the back just to keep the runs of the tubing short and clean :)

If you want to fit a 280 into the R4's front, I highly recommend MNPCTech's guide.

The reason I put the radiator at the back was actually because I needed all those

HDD cages, and having the HDD cages at the back (with the radiator in the front)

would have made cabling very messy, so that was a no-go. For my needs, the setup

I chose was the cleanest solution, also with regards to the PSU placement and the

power cable routing (and yes, you're right of course, the w/c tube runs are very

clean as well with this solution :)).

Fitting a 360 in the front would require a bit of modding, but I'd certainly say

it's possible. The air vents on the side go up all the way to the top, so air flow

wouldn't be too restricted (still not as good as with a proper full-panel mesh,

of course).

But I wouldn't advise using the stock fan fitting bracket (that black frame which

clicks into place in the front frame), I would recommend using a 360 radiator grill

and bolting that directly to the internal frame's front (which would also provide a

good bit of strengthening to compensate for the removed cages), and then mount

the radiator to the grill. If you want to use the stock fan bracket I'd recommend a

240/280.

If you want to use the stock fan bracket I'd recommend a

240/280.

The reason I put the radiator at the back was actually because I needed all those

HDD cages

I personally own a R4 already for my present build, and have been looking into water cooling and was originally going to just use the stock fan brackets, but as I believe I heard from Linus, it would be better using a Trippel/Quad rad for a custom Cpu/Gpu loop configuration, and that's why your builds have inspiered me. (ZEUS in particular) 

I'm also just planning to use SSD's and route them on the back. ;)

Hey Norways, welcome to the forum!

Thanks, and thanks again for answering :)

I personally own a R4 already for my present build, and have been looking into water cooling and was originally going to just use the stock fan brackets, but as I believe I heard from Linus, it would be better using a Trippel/Quad rad for a custom Cpu/Gpu loop configuration, and that's why your builds have inspiered me. (ZEUS in particular)

The thing with using less than a 360 in a custom loop is that it's much more

expensive than an AIO (such as the H100i, or the H110) while giving not much

better performance (if that), so cost/benefit is pretty bad. Today's AIO coolers

are pretty decent, so it's not really worth it upgrading to a custom loop unless

you just really want one, at least IMO.

As said, if you take out the cage and use a radiator grill or something similar

you should be able to mount a 360 in the front with relatively little need for

modifications.

Be aware though that for a combined CPU and GPU loop, one 360 is not

very generous. It's totally feasible (some will claim otherwise, but it really

is), but you probably won't be able to run your fans at very low speeds

when the system is under full load. However, unless you do computing

on both the CPU and the GPU at the same time and really push your

system load to 100% you shouldn't have any serious trouble, since most

GPU-heavy software won't stress the CPU to 100% and vice versa. And

you can always temp-regulate your fans to ramp up when necessary and

otherwise stay nice and quiet.

Depending on how long your GPU is, it might be worth considering running

an Alphacool Monsta radiator in push/pull, they do seem have a bit of an

edge over normal thickness radiators if you give them enough fan power.

There's a review of it here, although it's in German. The first graph compares

the XT45 against the Monsta with just one side of fans, the second one

compares them in push/pull. If you want to run your fans at lower rpm's, you

can see that the Monsta does profit quite a bit more from push/pull than the

XT45, improving by 4.2 C, as opposed to 2.2 C at 600 rpm going from three to

six fans.

one side of fans:

tempe9b3x.png

push/pull:

push-pull8zzu1.png

Anyway, just a thought. ;)

I'm also just planning to use SSD's and route them on the back. ;)

Thanks, and thanks again for answering :)

Happy to help, and thanks for the compliments.  :)

Okay, I'm going to be looking into the Alphacool NexXxos Monsta rad in push/pull, 

there is next to no videos about it on Youtube. So I got to check sites and other forums/reveiws 

to make my own opinion. :)

But thoose graphs I didn't quite understand, I see that it shows the difference

between the Rpm's, but what are the temps? Nevermind, after looking a bit more on the reveiw,

it looked like they was talking about the water temps inside the tubes and not the Cpu itself. Am I correct?

Edit: I'm no fan expert, if I went with the Alphacool Monsta, what fans would be recomended to use in a push/pull configuration?

Okay, I'm going to be looking into the Alphacool NexXxos Monsta rad in push/pull, 

there is next to no videos about it on Youtube. So I got to check sites and other forums/reveiws 

to make my own opinion. :)

But thoose graphs I didn't quite understand, I see that it shows the difference

between the Rpm's, but what are the temps? Nevermind, after looking a bit more on the reveiw, it looked like they was talking about the water temps inside the tubes and not the Cpu itself. Am I correct?

There is definitely not too much info on the Monsta's out there. The graphs

depict the temp difference water->air, the lower the better.

MONSTA VS UT60..which lol i will do p/p =)

???

Monsta rad vs UT60 rad for push/pull..which u choose

Ah, now I get it. :)

Depending on how much space and money you have I would recommend these solutions

for low speed fans, in descending order of preference (so, most desirable variant is spot #1):

• Monsta in push/pull
  • UT60 in push/pull
  • UT60 with one side of fans
  • XT45 (or thinner) with one side of fans

If you are willing to go with high speed fans (Delta or maybe a bit weaker), I'd say looking at

something with very high fin density such as the Hardware Labs GTX series becomes a viable

alternative, although I don't think I'd ever likely run something like that since to me W/C is very

much about low noise, but to each their own.

Ah, now I get it. :)

Depending on how much space and money you have I would recommend these solutions

for low speed fans, in descending order of preference (so, most desirable variant is spot #1):

• Monsta in push/pull
  • UT60 in push/pull
  • UT60 with one side of fans
  • XT45 (or thinner) with one side of fans
If you are willing to go with high speed fans (Delta or maybe a bit weaker), I'd say looking at

something with very high fin density such as the Hardware Labs GTX series becomes a viable

alternative, although I don't think I'd ever likely run something like that since to me W/C is very

much about low noise, but to each their own.

Oh I'm actually a fan of HWLabs, SR-1!! I will be using eLoops and AP-15's. 1900rpm :)

I'm asking cos I have a friend selling his Monsta 240 for abt 80usd

Oh I'm actually a fan of HWLabs, SR-1!! I will be using eLoops and AP-15's. 1900rpm :)

I'm asking cos I have a friend selling his Monsta 240 for abt 80usd

I am absolutely in love with my SR-1's. I love the beautiful finish, I love the fact that the

outer housing is made out of brass (I checked, it really is), I love those beveled edges

instead of just a rectangular block, I love the fact that they use M4 threads and not M3

or 6-32 UNC ones, I love that they space the fans at 20 mm (although some people may

not like that), which gives you additional length and cooling surface, and I love that

they're absolutely phenomenal performers at very low rpm's while not being completely

useless at mid-range fan speeds either.

It's not that they're completely flawless, of course. I would like to see some more port

options (such as on the Alphacool radiators), and I must admit that I would be extremely

curious about how much of a benefit that integrated shroud actually gives you instead

of just making the core thicker while keeping the same overall thickness (although only

HW Labs themselves probably know this from internal testing, at least I hope so), or maybe

even make the radiator a few mm thicker.

And the additional width which you get due to the beveled edges can make it a bit trickier

to mount them in tight spots. For instance, I cannot mount an SR-1 in the SMH's top with

the SR-2 motherboard in place because the SR-1 would be a bit wider than the XT45 and

would leave too little room for the connectors which I need to plug into the SR-2 along its

edge (power, reset, USB etc.).

But overall I still really like the SR-1. Anyway, </ramble>

As for the Monsta, where I live it costs ~100 USD, so if you have use for it and it's in good

enough condition I'd say 80 USD doesn't sound too bad. Where I live that's pretty much

the price of an SR-1, but with the fans you've mentioned I'd say you're going to get quite

a bit better performance with the Monsta, especially if you run it in push/pull.

IMO the SR-1 is one of the top choices if you're just running one side of fans, but if you have

the space for a push/pull Monsta setup, that will net you better results still.

I hope this helps, sorry for the long wall of text (but then again, that is almost expected of me

at this point :D  ).

I am absolutely in love with my SR-1's. I love the beautiful finish, I love the fact that the

outer housing is made out of brass (I checked, it really is), I love those beveled edges

instead of just a rectangular block, I love the fact that they use M4 threads and not M3

or 6-32 UNC ones, I love that they space the fans at 20 mm (although some people may

not like that), which gives you additional length and cooling surface, and I love that

they're absolutely phenomenal performers at very low rpm's while not being completely

useless at mid-range fan speeds either.

It's not that they're completely flawless, of course. I would like to see some more port

options (such as on the Alphacool radiators), and I must admit that I would be extremely

curious about how much of a benefit that integrated shroud actually gives you instead

of just making the core thicker while keeping the same overall thickness (although only

HW Labs themselves probably know this from internal testing, at least I hope so), or maybe

even make the radiator a few mm thicker.

And the additional width which you get due to the beveled edges can make it a bit trickier

to mount them in tight spots. For instance, I cannot mount an SR-1 in the SMH's top with

the SR-2 motherboard in place because the SR-1 would be a bit wider than the XT45 and

would leave too little room for the connectors which I need to plug into the SR-2 along its

edge (power, reset, USB etc.).

But overall I still really like the SR-1. Anyway, </ramble>

As for the Monsta, where I live it costs ~100 USD, so if you have use for it and it's in good

enough condition I'd say 80 USD doesn't sound too bad. Where I live that's pretty much

the price of an SR-1, but with the fans you've mentioned I'd say you're going to get quite

a bit better performance with the Monsta, especially if you run it in push/pull.

IMO the SR-1 is one of the top choices if you're just running one side of fans, but if you have

the space for a push/pull Monsta setup, that will net you better results still.

I hope this helps, sorry for the long wall of text (but then again, that is almost expected of me

at this point :D  ).

well..u see in my current case(Phantom 630), i have a EK XT240 in push/pull on the bottom. i was thinking of putting it up top and the MONSTA on the bottom where the XT240 would be. however, if i opt for the SR-1, i would put it up top and in pull alone..hmm...interesting choice..gotta admit, the name itself,"SR-1" sounds cool as hell already lol! xD

well..u see in my current case(Phantom 630), i have a EK XT240 in push/pull on the bottom. i was thinking of putting it up top and the MONSTA on the bottom where the XT240 would be. however, if i opt for the SR-1, i would put it up top and in pull alone

I'd say you'll most likely be happy with either of the two versions, I doubt there'll be massive

performance differences (some, but not a lot). Personally, in this situation, I would probably

opt for the Monsta and use the Monsta in push/pull on the bottom and the XT240 with one

side of fans in the top.

If you go with the SR-1 one side of fans on either rads should do it, having push/pull on an SR-1

is mostly a waste of money on fans IMO (unless of course you already have enough fans anyway).

..hmm...interesting choice..gotta admit, the name itself,"SR-1" sounds cool as hell already lol! xD

Hehe, true that. :D

Plus the name fits nicely with HELIOS' motherboard, an SR-2 cooled by some SR-1's (and

an XT45, lest we forget ;)).

EDIT: Who'd have thunk it, 40k views on my humble server build. Cool! :)

EDIT: Who'd have thunk it, 40k views on my humble server build. Cool! :)

Congratulations with spot 2 and 3 most viewed Build Log thread :)

Congratulations with spot 2 and 3 most viewed Build Log thread :)

Haha, thanks, yeah the support for my builds has been pretty awesome. :D

Haha, thanks, yeah the support for my builds has been pretty awesome. :D

That's because you are the Evil Overlord and we dare not test your patience!  All hail aplenwasser Mahhaaaaaa  

That and anyone that's willing to drill 700 holes in a piece of metal is not to be trifled with!

That's because you are the Evil Overlord and we dare not test your patience!  All hail aplenwasser Mahhaaaaaa

Muhahaha... :D

Although actually I am an extremely patient and usually mellow person. Even when

somebody/something does manage to piss me off, I rarely react unless I believe it

will actually accomplish a desirable outcome. zen.gif

Which doesn't mean I'm not capable and willing to bring down the hammer on somebody

who's actually managed to draw my wrath, it just takes a lot to get me to that point.

Once I am actually there, however, *clichéd speech of evil*.

Anyway, </psychobabble>

That and anyone that's willing to drill 700 holes in a piece of metal is not to be trifled with!

IIRC it was actually 1174 holes or something like that (I'd need to check the log on

OC3D, a guy over there got bored at work one morning and actually counted them :lol: ).

But of course 700 or 1174, your point remains just as valid. ;)

HDD's: 4 x WD RE4 2 TB

Is RE4 a typo?

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Is RE4 a typo?

Nope, why?