ZEUS (Fractal R4 | Blue/Black | Internal UT60 Rad) - by alpenwasser [COMPLETE]

Sgt, on 24 Jun 2013 - 09:31 AM, said:

@alpenwasser,

On both of your build log you say that you'll do BOINC, but, why not Folding@Home ? :)

I did actually fold for quite a while (got to somewhere ~9'000'000 pts). However, GPU

folding support on Linux is somewhere between non-existant and miserable at best, and

that situation is quite unlikely to change any time soon.

F@H's responses to requests for GPU support under Linux have been somewhere between

condescending and dismissive. Aside from that I really don't like that the

software is closed-source. If I run a piece of software on my machine I would kinda

like to know what it actually does in detail (or at least have somebody knowledgeable

look at it and report any bad things they might find).

F@H's answer to that has usually been that making the client open-source would break

the credit system, which I think is absolutely ridiculous. If you have that many people

who are obviously quite smart working on a project it should be bloody possible to

create an open-source client which does not have a broken credit system (that also

cannot be tampered with).

BOINC's credit system is of course rather broken, but that's not primarily because

the client is open source but because individual projects can allocate as much credit

as they wish to a certain amount of work. This means that on BOINC project A you might

get 10k credits for 24 hours of work, while on project B you might get 20k credits for

24 hours of work. This of course makes any global credit value quite meaningless.

However, F@H would not have this problem since it's still only one project. I don't

really feel like spending my hard-earned money (power bill) for a project which treats

me with such disrespect. Additionally, I like the versatility and open culture of BOINC

much more. There's a wide variety of projects to choose from, ranging from physics to

medicine to mathematics to history (deciphering Enigma messages from WWII), and since

I have a vast range of interests BOINC would still suit me better even if all other

things were equal.

Most likely I will end up running Milkyway@Home and some other non-medical research

projects on my CPUs, while I will use the Titan for GPUGrid. Since GPUGrid is CUDA-

based (at least I think so, must re-check that before starting) the Titan should fare

very well indeed at that, and this would also allow me to still do some medical

research.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Quick update: Here's the cable lacing tutorial I've been talking about:

I've also made a separate thread about it here for any questions and remarks which

would maybe be too off-topic for the build logs.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Gratz on the BotW, man. You definitely deserve it :D. Can't wait for your second BotW to be ready :lol:.

wow man turned out amazing nice job!

| Contact Information |
My Teamspeak : Austs1.gameservers.com:9334  |  Steam: Iamtictac456  |  My other aliases include Scruffy and Scruffy Biggems :)

Gratz on the BotW, man. You definitely deserve it :D. Can't wait for your second BotW to be ready :lol:.

wow man turned out amazing nice job!

Yay! I just got back from the kitchen (putting some bread in the oven for breakfast,

it's 3 AM here) when I was featured on the stream, perfect timing and so happy. :)

Thanks everyone! :)

Not sure if I missed something, but what about fans?

Not sure if I missed something, but what about fans?

I have three SP120's QE sandwiched between the back panel and the radiator, but the

tubing is hiding them for the most part.

You can see the grey rubber thingies for the fan corners in this picture:

aw--zeus--2013-06-23--02--complete-open.

Aside from that I have the two Fractal 140's that come with the case blowing out

the front (so air flow in this build is back to front).

Congrats on making it to the livestream, dude! I'm sure your Helios build is going to be feautured as well. 

Ever thought about making this a business, you definitely got the skill and creativity to do it! 

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

Congrats on making it to the livestream, dude! I'm sure your Helios build is going to be feautured as well. 

Ever thought about making this a business, you definitely got the skill and creativity to do it!

Thank you for the very kind words! :)

I would love to do something like this as a business, but I'm going to go to college

again next fall (Electrical Engineering), which is unlikely to leave me with the time

to do that any time soon.

But who knows... ;)

I can't see any of the pictures! It says the severs bandwidth limit exceeded.

I can't see any of the pictures! It says the severs bandwidth limit exceeded.

Yes, being featured on the live stream gave me a very high spike in bandwidth and shot

me over my limit for June (I've had about half of my traffic for June in the past few

days :o ).

They should work again come July 1st (so in a few hours, hopefully). I have also bought

some additional bandwidth to avoid this in the future.

Sorry about this, but thanks for stopping by. :)

I would love to do something like this as a business, but I'm going to go to collegeagain next fall (Electrical Engineering), which is unlikely to leave me with the timeto do that any time soon.But who knows... ;)

lets team up ? I have this in mind as well haha :D

Pics just broken for me?

You guys are crazy. You know you guys are self-destructive. There's a funny farm somewhere and it's got your names written all over it. But I'm gettin' outta here.

EDIT

lets team up ? I have this in mind as well haha :D

Hm, I am intrigued. Our company mascot could be called "Sgt. Alpenwasser". :lol:

/EDIT

Pics just broken for me?

Nope, but will be fixed in a few hours. See here: :D

Yes, being featured on the live stream gave me a very high spike in bandwidth and shot

me over my limit for June (I've had about half of my traffic for June in the past few

days :o ).

They should work again come July 1st (so in a few hours, hopefully). I have also bought

some additional bandwidth to avoid this in the future.

Sorry about this, but thanks for stopping by. :)

Arh Ok sweet.

You guys are crazy. You know you guys are self-destructive. There's a funny farm somewhere and it's got your names written all over it. But I'm gettin' outta here.

Just a quick note: Pics should be working again. :)

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Congrats on build of the week, and I hope your system runs like a charm. Very nice, and I hope to see more from you.

Great build and very nice log to read :)

Thank you! :)

Holy s**t what a beautiful build. Really nice cable management and awesome sleeved cables.

Thanks! :)

Congrats on build of the week, and I hope your system runs like a charm. Very nice, and I hope to see more from you.

Thanks, and it does so far *fingers crossed* :D

For more, I recommend having a look at HELIOS. ;)

T'is a beast.

XYPHER AMD FX8350 @ 4.6Ghz ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD RADEON HD 7970 @ 1140Mhz 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 1600Mhz OCZ VERTEX 3 240GB SSD Corsair H100i 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4 CORSAIR K90 MADCATZ RAT 3 iiyama ProLite B2480HS 24"

Very nicely done and original. What array are you running the drives in? Just starting to spec out a home server for myself and am heading into new territory.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

T'is a beast.

T'is indeed, kind sir, your compliments are much appreciated. :D

I have to admit that the response I've gotten here for this build has been really

amazing. I'd never dreamed to even come close to this level of support and appreciation.

So thanks, everyone, it really does mean a lot! :)

EDIT:

Very nicely done and original. What array are you running the drives in? Just starting to spec out a home server for myself and am heading into new territory.

Thanks! :)

The drives are running as two VDEVS, each in RAID-Z1. I have to say I'm really

impressed by ZFS so far, it's pretty damn phenomenal. In total I have 17 TB of

storage, of which 5 TB are used for parity, which gives me 12 TB available in

total. Although I might need to expand soon, I only have 1.6 TB free space left.

This is the config:

2013-06-23--17-00-55--zpool-status.png

Wow! Thank you for sharing.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

Wow! Thank you for sharing.

Thanks for looking. :)

If you need more info just ask.