• Round
    • Flat
    • Other
  3. 3. Tip

• Blunt
    • Pointy
    • Flat

what kind of chopsticks you like? disposable not included

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

As long as one of the sticks got 4 pointy bits and the other has a sharp edge, they're fine with me 👌

Oh wait.. That's just a knife and a fork 🍴, because I'm a filthy casual who never tried chopsticks.

So I'll keep an eye on the results, so I know what to pick up :ph34r:

Chopsticks just always made me wonder why they are still in use, when a knife, fork and spoon exists. But I am probably just too casual to understand.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, minibois said:

As long as one of the sticks got 4 pointy bits and the other has a sharp edge, they're fine with me 👌

Oh wait.. That's just a knife and a fork 🍴, because I'm a filthy casual who never tried chopsticks.

Chopsticks just always made me wonder why they are still in use, when a knife, fork and spoon exists. But I am probably just too casual to understand.

do you know how to ride a bicycle, if so, do you understand how it works? me neither, but i do know how to ride it.

same as chopsticks, once you know how to use it, you just know.

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

6 minutes ago, minibois said:

An Introduction to Japanese Chopstick Etiquette | FluentU Japanese

Please don't spear sushi with a fork... 👀

I'd say chopsticks work better than forks for delicate/smaller morsels?

Spoiler

Actually sushi is traditionally eaten with bare hands, but eh... 😅

Culinary experts would probably also go on about materials affecting the taste of certain foods? Not a culinary expert, I wouldn't know, but sounds plausible.

Also, sometimes traditions and societal standards matter more than efficiency, no? Especially in social gatherings like dinners and such. 😉

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

Just now, minibois said:

Apparently I'm in the same boat.

Just now, zassou said:

do you know how to ride a bicycle, if so, do you understand how it works? me neither, but i do know how to ride it.

To me it is an inefficient form of eating food. Even using my fingers is more efficient.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

2 minutes ago, Eschew said:

Please don't spear sushi with a fork... 👀

I'd say chopsticks work better than forks for delicate/smaller morsels?

I hate when I see that and I feel like chopsticks where meant for small morsels

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

2 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

To me it is an inefficient form of eating food. Even using my fingers is more efficient.

some people are pretty efficient at eating with chopsticks

I am pretty good with chopsticks ( this is probably because I use them daily )

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

15 minutes ago, zassou said:

what kind of chopsticks you like?

I have a pair of metal chopsticks that my family got on amazon

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

6 minutes ago, Eschew said:

Culinary experts would probably also go on about materials affecting the taste of certain foods? Not a culinary expert, I wouldn't know, but sounds plausible.

it's more of personal preference, me for example, i find korean's stainless steel sticks sacrilegious

5 minutes ago, zassou said:

it's more of personal preference, me for example, i find korean's stainless steel sticks sacrilegious

Ahhh... Korean chopsticks are... interesting.

Always need a few minutes to adjust to the weight and flat shape before I can pick things up properly with 'em. And then I continue adjusting my grip on them during the meal... 😅

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

13 minutes ago, zassou said:

Well actually I know how a bicycle works and I can ride it.. But I think I understand where you're coming from.

I don't think I expressed my misunderstanding with chopsticks well enough though. What I meant is; why use chopsticks for rice, when a spoon works too? Or why not use a fork for noodles.. etc.

I probably shouldn't say that and I definitely will lurk this thread from now one, but I felt like I had to voice my misunderstanding with chopsticks (as I feel like many people wouldn't see the point in chopsticks, although the use @Eschew showed does make sense).

P.S. I have tried chopsticks at an Asian friend's house in the past (like.. long ago past), but I am thankful they politely handed me utensils I am used to a little later :D 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Thought the flat vs pointy chopsticks depended on whether they’re Japanese or Chinese...

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

9 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Thought the flat vs pointy chopsticks depended on whether they’re Japanese or Chinese...

Helpful graphic:

Did not realise that there were different kinds. If anyone can ...

Exceptions and more varieties exist, of course, but generally speaking:

• Chinese: Rounded/Squared base, rounded flat tip.
  • Korean: Thin flat base, thin flat tip.
  • Japanese: Rounded base, rounded pointy tip.

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Just now, Eschew said:

Helpful graphic:

Did not realise that there were different kinds. If anyone can ...

Exceptions exist, of course, but generally speaking, the above stays true.

That’s about what I thought, didn’t know about Vietnamese or Korean because I’ve never eaten at a place that does it :( 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

at my house, we have like 5 different types of chopsticks which i randomly grab a pair when i need to eat something

usually i like the metal ones that are roughly squared at the top(where my hand goes) but round at the bottom, which i like cos they dont hurt but dont roll off the table, but picking up food is still pretty easy

yay random eating utensils off taobao 5 years ago!

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

I only eat using chopsticks when I’m in a restaurant. At home, I use spoon and fork. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

I like to use chopsticks for those types of food they are meant for. Watching someone eat sushi with a fork or a spoon would look awkward, almost as bad as seeing people who are chopping up spaghetti into little pieces before eating them.

13 hours ago, Eschew said:

Always need a few minutes to adjust to the weight and flat shape before I can pick things up properly with 'em. And then I continue adjusting my grip on them during the meal... 😅

I am technically Korean and I hate this e kind of chopsticks 

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

I'm Korean but I have been through a lot of exposure to Chinese Culture so I tend to switch around between both styles of chopsticks. My family is not so nationalistic so everyone would just use random chopsticks available but we seem to prefer our country's style better.  

o?

On 6/2/2020 at 6:27 PM, Eschew said:

Always need a few minutes to adjust to the weight and flat shape before I can pick things up properly with 'em. And then I continue adjusting my grip on them during the meal...

Yeah, I have realized that many people don't know how to use Korean chopsticks properly, they would use it as any other chopstick. When I learnt the proper way to hold one, I was woke by how comfortable it was. 

o?

Based on that graphic, the sushi set I have has a Japanese-style (I guess that's obvious), in what appears to be melamine. So I'm more partial to that type vs the more typically seen Chinese version. I typically only use chopsticks when the restaurant / food calls for it.

Here is my chopsticks image.thumb.jpg.0da636aa49b741b8cce8248fa46ae4b3.jpg

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

Due to my background I'm most used to the square plastic chopsticks widely used by the Chinese community. Less often I see the wood versions, but plastic is mostly used as it is more durable.

I've travelled through the Far East at various times, covering Hong Kong, Shenzen, Tokyo and Seoul. I hadn't consciously noticed the Japanese chopsticks were more pointy. I just used them the same regardless. I don't recall what they were like in Korea. 

I do know I hold chopsticks wrong. I can't use them if I hold them as they're supposed to. It reduces my gripping power but I get more control. At home, I only use chopsticks when eating noodles with soup (e.g. ramen). Otherwise I'd pick a fork (with or without knife), or even spoon, depending on the food itself. 

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible