4 x 4tb Ironwolf or 12 x 2tb Standard HDD for Home NAS?

Dravinian Broke

Roughly speaking, within a margin that doesn't make much difference, the price is equivalent here.  All drives are 7200rpm so I don't think there is a significant speed difference.

Here are the factors I am considering.  I don't run a home server that is active 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, with 30 users hammering me for data.  It is used by me and family with a maximum of 3 connections at any given time, with a lot of time spent in downtime, we are at work, we are asleep, we are doing something else.  It simply isn't being used.  So do I really need drives designed for 100% 24/7 use with massive 300tb a year capacities?

I don't do a lot of read/write, back and forth constantly.  I write a lot of data, and then occasionally that data is read by upto 3 users at once and even that is quite rare, usually it is one user or two.

I am building a new server that has a maximum capacity of 12 x 3.5" HDD, and 4 x 2.5" HDD/SSD.

So I am weighing up, if I buy 12 x 2tb, that is 24tb, once I put it in raid and lose 1/3rd, I am still looking at about 16tb of storage space.

If I buy 4 x 4tb then that is 16tb to start so about 11tb of storage, a loss of 5tb off the potential maximum - however, it also leaves me the opportunity to buy another 8 x 4tb in the future, which would mean a total capcity of 32tb of storage.

Though of course, this will cost 3 times as much for double the capacity. (3 x 4 x 4tb vs 12 x 2tb which is equal to 4 x 4tb)

Now I could buy standard 4tb HDD, which are half the price of the Ironwolf drives.  So effectively buy 12 x 4tb at double the price of the 12 x 2tb drives.  Now I can't afford to do that, but could perhaps buy 6 x 4b standard drives.

I am just wondering whether it is worth buying 4 x 4tb Ironwolf because of the design features they have - 24x7 workload and the 5 year warranty that comes with them, even though effectively I would lose 5tb of immediate storage?

Now to be clear, the 5tb probaly unlikely to impact on my needs right now, but I don't know what the future will bring, and the reality is, I may not be in a position to spend this much money on HDDs again in the future.  I would like to hope I can, but who knows.

So your thoughts welcomed.

I'd suggest getting 3x 8TB disks in RAID5, so effective capacity is 16TB and you still have 9 bays left for future expansion. Just make sure you have the OS on a dedicated disk, like a SATA SSD or NVMe drive.

Expansion can be done piecemeal (single disk) or block-wise (complete array group). Adding the first extra disk, you can either convert the array to RAID6 or add it as hot-spare to the RAID5. The 2nd drive can then become a hot-spare for either RAID mode, while the 3rd allows you to create another RAID5 and put that into a RAID1 with the existing array. None of these actually expand your capacity, but will do wonders for your redundancy. note that this is all pure RAID. Unraid uses a different method of combining drives, so adding new disks will actually expand your capacity. The downside is that in case of failure, only Unraid can read the disks, whereas on a normal RAID, a different OS can work out what goes where and reconstruct your arrays fairly successfully. If that risk is worth taking is entirely your call.

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

Yeah, no... neither.

I'd suggest calculating best price per capacity, you'll probably find out it's at around 6-8 TB these days.

Make an effort to go for 8 TB or more and do buy a drive with at least 3 years warranty, ideally 5, even though it costs more. NAS rated drives typically are rated for 3+ years.

Drives fail, and if they do fail they'll typically fain within the first 3 years.

Definitely no 2 TB drives because they'll consume power , 5-8w each, all the time they run, and they'll probably have short 2 year warranties.

16 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Yeah, no... neither.

I'd suggest calculating best price per capacity, you'll probably find out it's at around 6-8 TB these days.

pcpartpicker does it already

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/9gDJ7P/toshiba-14-tb-35-7200rpm-internal-hard-drive-mg07aca14te

these are some of the best right now in the US from a non sketcy amazon seller

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

1 minute ago, GDRRiley said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/9gDJ7P/toshiba-14-tb-35-7200rpm-internal-hard-drive-mg07aca14te

pcpp has a lot of shitty listings from companies that sell new old stock , refurbished/"renewed" stuff, and it's often outdated info (not refreshed daily)

It's difficult .. better to go on newegg and choose new/sold by newegg  or amazon and chose sold by amazon etc

Just now, mariushm said:

pcpp has a lot of shitty listings from companies that sell new old stock , refurbished/"renewed" stuff, and it's often outdated info (not refreshed daily)

It's difficult .. better to go on newegg and choose new/sold by newegg  or amazon and chose sold by amazon etc

you can do it pretty quick on them though vs the hour+ it will take by hand and that assumes whatever site you chose has good pricing on those units

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

4TB are the better option. Most expansion ability and less power usage. I would recommend going with 8TB though. It would make bugging out a lot easier with a single drive for archive. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Go with larger drives, and fewer of them.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Not going to quote you all, but thanks, I see there is a consensus here...go big or go home

5 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

That is a well priced drive. 5 year warranty.   Of course, I could only buy 2, but that is still 28 tb of storage, less power draw, something I forgot to put in the first post was my concern that I would have to buy a new PSU for 12 drives - not to mention an expansion card to connect the drives, and my concern about 12 power SATA cables and whether my PSU would support that many.

Also leaves a lot of expansion possibilities.

I think we have a winner.