What RTX 2070 Super should I buy?

Hi, I am thinking of getting an RTX 2070 Super and I was wondering which model to get?

I have been looking at the:

- MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio - it is too big for my case

- MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X - cheaper, but only 2 fans compared to the others, with 3.

- Gigabyte Aorus RTX 2070 Super- heard reviews saying that the rgb / fans died.

- ASUS ROG RTX 2070 Super OC - quite expensive, but if it is the best one, I'll get it.

Which one do you think I should get? If you think of another, it requires to have 3 display ports. - 2 for monitors and 1 for Oculus Rift-S.

Thanks. :)

Cheapest one you can find, the 2070S is very poor value since the 5700 XT delivers similar performance for a lot less money

9 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Cheapest one you can find, the 2070S is very poor value since the 5700 XT delivers similar performance for a lot less money

Well, you forgot to say that the 5700XT has some driver problem, is making much more heat and noise... And that the 2070s is 10% faster than the 5700 and has 25% stronger 1% low result.

So I would say that the 5700XT has a really poor value overall and that the 2070s is the best choice between those 2.

@DrSkull20 I have a Zotac one and it is a pretty good choice while being also the cheapest 2070S (well, was the cheapest choice when I bought it)

1 hour ago, Niklos said:

Well, you forgot to say that the 5700XT has some driver problem, is making much more heat and noise... And that the 2070s is 10% faster than the 5700 and has 25% stronger 1% low result.

So I would say that the 5700XT has a really poor value overall and that the 2070s is the best choice between those 2.

@DrSkull20 I have a Zotac one and it is a pretty good choice while being also the cheapest 2070S (well, was the cheapest choice when I bought it)

That's factually incorrect. Please do not mislead people. The driver issues were several months ago and do not exist currently. Secondly, the 2070S uses the same amount of power and produces the same amount of heat as the 5700 XT. So you're lying. Again.
Temperature & power consumption : AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT and 5700 ...

Lastly, performance is nigh identical. I don't get where you got your magical 10% number from but it's 1-2% in most cases
GeForce RTX 2070 Super vs. Radeon RX 5700 XT: 37 Game Benchmark ...

1 hour ago, DrSkull20 said:

Hi, I am thinking of getting an RTX 2070 Super and I was wondering which model to get?

I have been looking at the:

- MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio - it is too big for my case

- MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X - cheaper, but only 2 fans compared to the others, with 3.

- Gigabyte Aorus RTX 2070 Super- heard reviews saying that the rgb / fans died.

- ASUS ROG RTX 2070 Super OC - quite expensive, but if it is the best one, I'll get it.

Which one do you think I should get? If you think of another, it requires to have 3 display ports. - 2 for monitors and 1 for Oculus Rift-S.

Thanks. :)

Read reviews and look at trusted sources like Hardware Unboxed, Gamers Nexus, Anandtech and etc. Else, you'll get lied to and mislead into a poor option like a mini cooler 2070S which ends up running louder and hotter than most other models, including the Founders Edition stock one. THat's my advice. Read reviews and look at trusted information sources, do NOT blindly trust any of us (me included)

1 hour ago, 5x5 said:

Lastly, performance is nigh identical. I don't get where you got your magical 10% number from but it's 1-2% in most cases
GeForce RTX 2070 Super vs. Radeon RX 5700 XT: 37 Game Benchmark ...

You should read whatever comes with the chart you are showing... Here it :

As expected the GeForce RTX 2070 Super is the more powerful GPU though it was only faster by a ~10% margin

Then, please, don't make me say whatever I never said... 

1 hour ago, 5x5 said:

Secondly, the 2070S uses the same amount of power

True fact. Did I ever said that was wrong ? No. I did only say that it was running cooling and with less noise. That is it.

https://www.gpucheck.com/en-usd/compare/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2070-super-vs-amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt/intel-core-i7-8700k-3-70ghz-vs-intel-core-i7-8700k-3-70ghz/ultra/ultra/-vs-

10°C cooler for the NVidia and 8.4dB less (so the AMD is almost twice as loud as the Nvidia is.)

lastly, I totaly agree with you on that part :

1 hour ago, 5x5 said:

Read reviews and look at trusted sources like Hardware Unboxed, Gamers Nexus, Anandtech and etc. Else, you'll get lied to and mislead into a poor option like a mini cooler 2070S which ends up running louder and hotter than most other models, including the Founders Edition stock one. THat's my advice. Read reviews and look at trusted information sources, do NOT blindly trust any of us (me included)

But, as far as I can tell, @DrSkull20 is not considering any poor options like a mini cooler 2070S...

1 hour ago, Niklos said:

You should read whatever comes with the chart you are showing... Here it :

As expected the GeForce RTX 2070 Super is the more powerful GPU though it was only faster by a ~10% margin

Then, please, don't make me say whatever I never said... 

True fact. Did I ever said that was wrong ? No. I did only say that it was running cooling and with less noise. That is it.

https://www.gpucheck.com/en-usd/compare/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2070-super-vs-amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt/intel-core-i7-8700k-3-70ghz-vs-intel-core-i7-8700k-3-70ghz/ultra/ultra/-vs-

10°C cooler for the NVidia and 8.4dB less (so the AMD is almost twice as loud as the Nvidia is.)

lastly, I totaly agree with you on that part :

But, as far as I can tell, @DrSkull20 is not considering any poor options like a mini cooler 2070S...

You do realize that heat and power draw are closely related. That comparison of thermals you pointed is moot as the cooler on the two is VASTLY different. A 2070S and 5700 XT produce the same amount of heat, it's just down to which cooler is being used that determines noise and thermals. So again, you are misrepresenting the truth for dishonest ends.

As for performance, that's after Forza was not counted. Hence the chart clearly stating that using the full test suite, the performance is nigh identical. Especially with modern drivers that have optimized and improved performance further as those are older release numbers. Again, please do not be dishonest when you are telling someone how to spend their money. I realize you like your 2070S, I also like my 970 but I don't lie to people

14 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

You do realize that heat and power draw are closely related.

Well no. It actually depends of efficiency. You may have more Joule effect on one than on the other. So definitly NO.

edit : and actually as they both draw the same amount of power and as the 2070s is giving you a better framerate, it really makes sence that is has to desipate less power so that it makes less heat.

14 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Again, please do not be dishonest when you are telling someone how to spend their money. I realize you like your 2070S, I also like my 970 but I don't lie to people

Well, I don't think I am liing to people. That's my point of view and I stick to it. And guess what, I am not the kind of person that say "don't do I do but as I say". I actually have a 2070S and I am really really happy of my choice. I believe I could not have make a better purshase with the money I had when I bought it.

The Gaming X cooler should be good enough for a 2070S I would imagine, so I think you'd be good with that, especially if it's less expensive than the other options. If the Strix is much more expensive then I'm not sure that it'd be worth going for it.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

I don't know in what country you live @DrSkull20 but in mine, the Palit GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GamingPro is the cheapest 2070S and I think it is a really good deal. I actualy would pick that model if I wanted to buy a 2070S right now where I live.

16 minutes ago, Niklos said:

Well no. It actually depends of efficiency. You may have more Joule effect on one than on the other. So definitly NO.

edit : and actually as they both draw the same amount of power and as the 2070s is giving you a better framerate, it really makes sence that is has to desipate less power so that it makes less heat.

Well, I don't think I am liing to people. That's my point of view and I stick to it. And guess what, I am not the kind of person that say "don't do I do but as I say". I actually have a 2070S and I am really really happy of my choice. I believe I could not have make a better purshase with the money I had when I bought it.

That's not what efficiency means. Efficiency is how much work is done per consumed units of power. So while the 2070S is slightly more efficient, it still outputs the same amount of heat as the 5700 XT. heat is calculated based on the formula H = I2Rt where "H" is the heat, "I" is the power intensity, "t" is time and "R" is resistance of the circuits. If you cross-reference with the formula for Intensity (I=V/R) then you have a direct relation between power draw (Amps) and heat output (Watts). So no, you are not correct. While it's not an exact match, the Heat Output is most strongly connected to the power used and therefore output as heat. The reason why your source quotes the 2070S running cooler is that the specific model they looked at has a much bigger heatsink and thus more surface area to spread the heat and dissipate it. Laws of physics, friend. As far as the GPU core is concerned, the 2070S and 5700 XT produce the same volume of heat but spread in different ways and by different means. So a good 5700 XT cooler, such as the Red Devil, easily runs cooler than some 2070S models while also being quieter. This does NOT mean the 5700 XT is more efficient, it means the PowerColor cooler is good.

As for performance, the 5700 XT delivers 98% of the 2070S' performance at a lower price tag - that's why I mentioned it in the first place. It's a better value. It doesn't make the 2070S perform poorly it means the 2070S carries a price premium in the absolute same way my 970 carried a price premium over a 290 or 390 way back when.

Whetever dude. I actually don't care ^^. I would not pick this AMD card over this NVidia card even at $100 less.

@DrSkull20 has everything he needs to make his choice. 

The 2070s is a fine GPU, this nonsense about the 5700-XT is annoying.

SLAMD-XT  Ryzen 2600X 4.125ghz 1.26v~Gigabyte B450 Aorus ELITE~16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz C15~Arcting Cooling Freezer 34 Esports Duo~Gigabyte Aorus RX 5700-XT~CIT chassis~120GB PNY SSD~WD BLUE 3D NAND 1TB SSD M.2~Phobya 120mm G.Silent's~SuperFlower Leadex III GOLD~Razer Basilisk~RedDragon Kumura

I have a sapphire pulse 5700xt and have 0 issues with it. I got it after they put out the driver fix and everything has been great. 

I looked at getting a rtx2070 super but couldn’t justify spending 25% more for 10% max performance increase. 

The amd cards are coming with resident evil 3, monster hunter world and 3 months of game pass for pc right now. That also sealed the deal for me as I was gonna buy resident evil anyways 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

Hi, thanks for responding!

I think I'll choose the MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X (Not trio) as everyone is saying to get the cheapest one. I currently have an MSI GTX 1660Ti Gaming X, so I think this is the best cheaper one.

Didn't mean to start a war between 2070 S and 5700 XT.

@DrSkull20

About the RX 5700XT, as others have said, Nvidia is charging you $100 more for largely the same performance, and the driver issues were recently addressed in an update. The video below benchmarks the two cards at 1440P. Its your money so its your choice in the end, just don't let the Nvidia fan boys bamboozle you into believing the RTX 2070S is better, it isn't. AMD is doing a damn fine job competing with Nvidia's mid to high end graphics cards, and they are planning on doing the same at the higher end soon with the upcoming RDNA 2 GPU's. 

RX 5700 XT vs. RTX 2070 Super:

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

• 1 month later...

sapphire pulse rx 5700 owner here, no matter what i tried the black screen issue remains for me, it's so annoying, how you are working oj something important and boom black screen which requires restart, and the rtx series is just slightly expensive where i come from. at first i thought let's wait few months it'll be fine but using this since December the BLACK SCREEN issues remains. if i sell the card i would get only 50% of the value. 

i never used Nvidia card before, been using amd cards for about 6 years now, never had issue like this before with amd, amd disappointed many fans. 

3 minutes ago, Yuvraj Mann said:

sapphire pulse rx 5700 owner here, no matter what i tried the black screen issue remains for me, it's so annoying, how you are working oj something important and boom black screen which requires restart, and the rtx series is just slightly expensive where i come from. at first i thought let's wait few months it'll be fine but using this since December the BLACK SCREEN issues remains. if i sell the card i would get only 50% of the value. 

i never used Nvidia card before, been using amd cards for about 6 years now, never had issue like this before with amd, amd disappointed many fans. 

Switch to an RX 5700 (non XT version) or an RX 5600XT. The RX 5700XT is a piece of shit. I think the real issue with it that AMD won't ever admit is that its pushing the RDNA architecture to its absolute limits, making it crash, blackout the screen, etc. I wouldn't even touch an RX 5700XT with a cattle prod.

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

On 4/14/2020 at 4:15 AM, 5x5 said:

The Sapphire Radeon 5700XT I purchased in April 2020 still suffered from black screens, BSOD, etc. with a fresh Windows install on all new hardware. All of my issues were resolved when replacing the Sapphire card with an EVGA 2070 Super. 

As a huge fan of AMD and they have done to disrupt the market, I was very disappointed that I received a card that was essentially DOA

It is entirely possible that I got a bad card, but for peace-of-mind and reliability, I will stick with over-priced (but working) Nvidia cards moving forward

Edited by ExplodingRubber
Clarification

Case : Cooler Master MB511 RGBMoBo : Asus TUF X570-Plus (WiFi)CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 2600XGPU : EVGA RTX 2070 Super FTW3 Gaming 8GBRAM : Corsair LPX 32 GB (2x16) DDR4-3200Storage (C:) : WD Blue 1 TB M.2-2280 (OS, Frequent Apps/Games)Storage (D:) : Seagate Barracuda 500 GB SATA SSD (Games)Storage (G:) : Seagate 1 TB 5400RPM HDD (Backups/Mass Storage/Photos)Cooling : Cooler Master ML240L RGB AIOMonitors : Dual MSI Optix MAG27CQ 27" 1440P @144hz (Custom Mounted)

i've never had any driver issues myself. my firends had some but they are mostly fixed by now. they still have some minor bugs but not so much. rtx 2070 super is not worth it in most budgets. with higher budget sure go for 2-5% extra performance for 20+% higher price.

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

43 minutes ago, ExplodingRubber said:

The Sapphire Radeon 5700XT I purchased in April 2020 still suffered from black screens, BSOD, etc. with a fresh Windows install on all new hardware. All of my issues were resolved when replacing the Sapphire card with an EVGA 2070 Super. 

As a huge fan of AMD and they have done to disrupt the market, I was very disappointed that I received a card that was essentially DOA

It is entirely possible that I got a bad card, but for peace-of-mind and reliability, I will stick with over-priced (but working) Nvidia cards moving forward

You had a defective card. It's rare but it happens. Why not just RMA it?

22 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Doesn't seem all that rare with all the complaints still rolling through. I don't think the card is defective in a lot of these cases, I think it has more to do the card pushing the RDNA architecture to its limit. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

29 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Honestly, man, I had that beautiful hunk of junk for 3 weeks and I was so disappointed that I went to the dark side. I also did not want to wait for an RMA, as I had already sold my old card. I just purchased the new card and returned the old one when it arrived. 

If I had RMA'd the Sapphire card I would still be waiting for the replacement

Case : Cooler Master MB511 RGBMoBo : Asus TUF X570-Plus (WiFi)CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 2600XGPU : EVGA RTX 2070 Super FTW3 Gaming 8GBRAM : Corsair LPX 32 GB (2x16) DDR4-3200Storage (C:) : WD Blue 1 TB M.2-2280 (OS, Frequent Apps/Games)Storage (D:) : Seagate Barracuda 500 GB SATA SSD (Games)Storage (G:) : Seagate 1 TB 5400RPM HDD (Backups/Mass Storage/Photos)Cooling : Cooler Master ML240L RGB AIOMonitors : Dual MSI Optix MAG27CQ 27" 1440P @144hz (Custom Mounted)

47 minutes ago, ExplodingRubber said:

Honestly, man, I had that beautiful hunk of junk for 3 weeks and I was so disappointed that I went to the dark side. I also did not want to wait for an RMA, as I had already sold my old card. I just purchased the new card and returned the old one when it arrived. 

If I had RMA'd the Sapphire card I would still be waiting for the replacement

Not really. Sapphire turnout around time is usually 7-10 days. And their support is excellent. It's why everyone recommends Sapphire and EVGA for GPUs :)

1 hour ago, BlackManINC said:

Doesn't seem all that rare with all the complaints still rolling through. I don't think the card is defective in a lot of these cases, I think it has more to do the card pushing the RDNA architecture to its limit. 

Nah, it's not that. The RDNA uArch can do a lot more. The 5700 XT is actually tame since they want to keep TDP in check. The issue is usually a defect. Remember, 10 complaints aren't a lot when you factor in that there are also a 1000 people with working cards not posting. Every so often someone will ask and about 10 people will respond saying their card runs fine and occasionally someone will respond with issues and in most cases those get resolved.

I mean, I've also had issues with Nvidia's recent drivers but I haven't been screaming about it since I know it's a small sample size (even though I found others on their forums with similar woes). With the amount of cards being sold, there are bound to be defects. The difference is with Nvidia users don't assume software issues and directly RMA whereas with AMD they automatically blame drivers even for defective cards due to old legends.