What is that blue plastic tool? The guy in this video used it to remove the thermal paste. Can someone please suggest me an alternate option? Something more DIY, perhaps

2061939667_forlinus.jpg.5f1b4b22e3dd21e338baa740e2608c8d.jpg

That looks like a plectrum, otherwise known as a guitar pick to me. That's bound to not clean thermal paste well though, without any solvent it will leave some paste behind.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

1 minute ago, Jurrunio said:

That looks like a plectrum, otherwise known as a guitar pick to me. That's bound to not clean thermal paste well though, without any solvent it will leave some paste behind.

Are you talking about the blue stick on top of the battery? 

Just now, Jurrunio said:

As what @Jurrunio says. Though I would NOT recommend using any tool to pry/pick/peel of the thermal paste. Always use a solvent, get the 99% isopropyl one

Downloading RAM . . . 1%

1 minute ago, Farishta Jayas said:

Are you talking about the blue stick on top of the battery? 

Blue stick = prying tool

Blue pick = well a pick 

Downloading RAM . . . 1%

5 minutes ago, Farishta Jayas said:

What is that blue plastic tool? The guy in this video used it to remove the thermal paste. Can someone please suggest me an alternate option? Something more DIY, perhaps

Those typically come with various kinds of laptop-/phone-repair kits, like e.g. the iFixit toolkit. That said, just scrape the paste off with whatever you like. It's just paste, you don't need some fancy, magic special-tool for it. Just scrape it off with whatever, then wipe the rest off with isopropyl alcohol.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Thank you everyone. Is there any alternative to the isopropyl alcohol? 

23 minutes ago, Farishta Jayas said:

Generally no, if you don't have it you can just use a cotton swab and try to remove the paste like this. 

25 minutes ago, Farishta Jayas said:

Alternatives i tried:

1. its actually a bit better than the 99% isopropyl. We use in on our enterprise clients (data-center grade rack servers). It's a Thermal Material Remover+Purifier Kit. You use the thermal material remover, well to remove material. And the purifier kit to clean the plate.

image.png.15ff289b683d58e6afe4aefcbd30e800.png

2. Not recommended but if you are in a pinch, you can try Acetone (mom has this so, easy to get haha). Again, I wouldn't recommend it. It's meant to be abrasive, unless you have no other ways to clean that paste off, avoid this.

3. You can actually use standard non-scented 70% isopropyl or ethyl alcohol. Though it takes a bit of time, just be patient and dont push to hard.

Oh, on what to wipe as well. IF POSSIBLE use microfiber, if not, you can use  kitchen grade paper towels, those ticker tissue papers. When using Paper towels, make sure to only wipe them once, dont re-wipe using the same paper. I've seen Motherboards filled with paper towels filings. You can damage your mobo like that. Though again, if you can get yourself a microfiber cloth, then better.

Downloading RAM . . . 1%

You clean off thermal paste with a paper towel and some alcohol.

You do not use an ifixit pry tool to remove it.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020