LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

2 minutes ago, HaRdLy007 said:

Sorry to interject, but how do you request a quota increase? I have a 1 GPU limit right now and would like to increase it to at least 4.

No problem see post bellow!!

1 hour ago, bafo_ah said:

Have you "request quota change"

click on hamburger menu (three strip menu on top left) -> IAM & Admin -> Quotas

*you need to enter to Compute Engine -> VM Instance first so they can configured your environment or something for first time, it take a time before you can create your first VM

set filter (click None first, so It clear the selection - so many quotas here)

set filter

Service -> compute engine API

Metric -> GPUs (all region) + NVIDIA T4 GPUs

Location -> Global + yourdesiredlocation

then you need to edit your quotas, send request to google team, and they will decided if you can do this (I request 4GPU and they approved it)

Then you can try to create instance again (Compute Engine -> VM Instance

OEC , F@H

Ryzen 5 3600, MSI Tomahawk Max, 16Gb Corsair Vengence 3600Mhz, AMD RX590, WD Black PCIe Gen3 x4 NVMe M.2 2280 500GB

18 minutes ago, Gustavehomme01 said:

Yep i just traded in my 2 P100 for this same setup. You get a little more PPD at half the price. Just wish i would have noticed before spent 36 hours on the P100 theoretical lost of  5-6 M points in that same 36 hours... 

Old setup 2 P100 = 1.2-1.7M PPD each total 2.4-3.4M PPD

New setup 8 T4= 800-900k PPD each total 6.4-7.2M PPD

Almost same cost.

I have found the V100's to be the most cost effective. Each one pulls in around 3.5M PPD for only $1.788/hr. I was also going to go with T4's but it only lets me do one GPU type per region so I can't do that many T4's. :( 

Edited by ChocolateCyanide

8 minutes ago, Zberg said:

Desperately clawing to stay on the bottom of the graph and not fall off the page! 

Desperately flexing to get on the bottom of the graph and not stay off the page!

BOINC - F@H

5 minutes ago, Gustavehomme01 said:

No problem see post bellow!!

Thanks, request sent

My Folding Stats

My BOINC Stats

VelosterN:

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X - Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming - Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600Mhz 32GB - Asus ROG Strix Gaming 6750 XT OC

Corsair Crystal Series 680x RGB - Samsung 970 Evo Plus 250GB NVMe - Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe - Samsung 860 Pro 256 GB 2.5" SSD X2

EVGA P2 80+ Platinum 850Watt PSU - BenQ XL2730Z 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz - be quiet! Dark Rock 4

Corsair K70 LUX - Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum - Sennheiser HD599 - Blue Yeti Mic

Windows 11 Professional Version 22H2

BettyBoop:

AMD Ryzen 5 2600X - Asus ROG Strix B450-I Gaming - Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz 16GB - Asus ROG Strix Gaming 5500 XT - Fractal Design Core 500

Samsung 860 Pro 512GB Sata - EVGA 550GM 80+ Gold 550Watt SFX PSU - be quiet! Dark Rock 4

HTPC:

Intel i7 6700K - Asus Maximus Hero VIII - Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz 16GB - MSI RX480 Gaming-X 8GB - Cooler Master 932 HAF

Seagate 250GB HDD - EVGA G2 80+ Gold 650Watt PSU - Corsair H100i

Windows 10 Professional Version 21H2

So after doing my 1am cost analysts math I decided to spin down the 2 P100 for 8 T4 instead. My new army for the day...

Local Slot00 is a Ryzen 5  3600 = 100k PPD now turn off 

Local Slot 01 is a RX 590 = 550k PPD been going hard since the start and till the end.. 

So it looks like a sustained 7mPPD

image.thumb.png.f53e909c17cb8e4236f42e472f2106f8.png

I'v also said good bye to the following:

image.png.1b44d281b753715373a0d2f36c92f09b.png

177Wats for a combined 50k PPD, just not worth operating now. plus the heat in the office was getting to me.

Oh and 420

1695738624_FoldingAtHome-wus-certificate-73197259(12).jpg.0ddcd4817914d7b2c07193d9e2a4ac2d.jpg

OEC , F@H

Ryzen 5 3600, MSI Tomahawk Max, 16Gb Corsair Vengence 3600Mhz, AMD RX590, WD Black PCIe Gen3 x4 NVMe M.2 2280 500GB

Wow that Google Cloud increase request is already completed!

My Folding Stats

My BOINC Stats

VelosterN:

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X - Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming - Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600Mhz 32GB - Asus ROG Strix Gaming 6750 XT OC

Corsair Crystal Series 680x RGB - Samsung 970 Evo Plus 250GB NVMe - Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe - Samsung 860 Pro 256 GB 2.5" SSD X2

EVGA P2 80+ Platinum 850Watt PSU - BenQ XL2730Z 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz - be quiet! Dark Rock 4

Corsair K70 LUX - Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum - Sennheiser HD599 - Blue Yeti Mic

BettyBoop:

AMD Ryzen 5 2600X - Asus ROG Strix B450-I Gaming - Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz 16GB - Asus ROG Strix Gaming 5500 XT - Fractal Design Core 500

Samsung 860 Pro 512GB Sata - EVGA 550GM 80+ Gold 550Watt SFX PSU - be quiet! Dark Rock 4

HTPC:

Intel i7 6700K - Asus Maximus Hero VIII - Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz 16GB - MSI RX480 Gaming-X 8GB - Cooler Master 932 HAF

Seagate 250GB HDD - EVGA G2 80+ Gold 650Watt PSU - Corsair H100i

Windows 10 Professional Version 21H2

45 minutes ago, ShortRouter said:

What's your PPD on this config? Btw I tried everything, 4x T4 is impossible to get atm so I got 2x P100.

Around 800k per T4 I use 4 GPU, so around 3.5M per instance...

Spoiler

ppdt4.png.2dc4e78278f6b9d0bb080e48d0087eac.png

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish. Stay Folding. Stay at home!

3 minutes ago, ChocolateCyanide said:

I have found the V100's to be the most cost effective. Each one pulls in around 3.5M PPD for only $1.788/hr. I was also going to go with T4's but it only lets me do one GPU type per region. :( 

You have to ask for a quota increase. That's what got me as well the fist 36 hours...

1 hour ago, bafo_ah said:

Have you "request quota change"

click on hamburger menu (three strip menu on top left) -> IAM & Admin -> Quotas

*you need to enter to Compute Engine -> VM Instance first so they can configured your environment or something for first time, it take a time before you can create your first VM

set filter (click None first, so It clear the selection - so many quotas here)

set filter

Service -> compute engine API

Metric -> GPUs (all region) + NVIDIA T4 GPUs

Location -> Global + yourdesiredlocation

then you need to edit your quotas, send request to google team, and they will decided if you can do this (I request 4GPU and they approved it)

Then you can try to create instance again (Compute Engine -> VM Instance)

I'm with ya if you look at card per card but if you look at an instance of 4 T4 to 1 P100 same cost but more the double the PPD with the 4 T4s. 

As you can see my P100 cost me a lot more then the advertised price of 1.09$/h. plus you still have to add the cost of the CPU/RAM and network  all in all it was roughly 4.5$/h for 2 P100s..  I dont yet have the full cost of the 8 T4s but considering the config was advertised less then the s P100 I should get more PPD. 

image.thumb.png.24efeb67c160370ab140f42812a7f26a.png 

OEC , F@H

4 minutes ago, Lavonthomon said:

Do you still get credit for bad WU?

Yes you do base on the amount of work that you did one them. It's usually just a fraction of the total.image.png.1f671984402c06eaa67b1fb67c461225.png

OEC , F@H

44 minutes ago, ShortRouter said:

If it's a case fan just unplug it while PC is running. If you want shutdown, make sure you pause folding so the WU doesn't get corrupted.

Normally I would but this one hooked into my PSU.

3-pin fan with on-board speed switch. Fan is supposed to be on high but the shaft is warped so at higher speeds the thing hits the side of its housing and makes a stupidly annoying sound. It's nowhere near as bad when on lowest setting, and I have 0 fan headers left on my mobo (Yes, I could use splitters, don't feel like dropping any more $$$ on this computer when I'm about to be building a new one.)

2 minutes ago, LordKitsune said:

3-pin fan with on-board speed switch. Fan is supposed to be on high but the shaft is warped so at higher speeds the thing hits the side of its housing and makes a stupidly annoying sound. It's nowhere near as bad when on lowest setting, and I have 0 fan headers left on my mobo (Yes, I could use splitters, don't feel like dropping any more $$$ on this computer when I'm about to be building a new one.)

Nothing that a wire cutter can"t solve 😶

BOINC - F@H

11 minutes ago, Lavonthomon said:

Do you still get credit for bad WU?

Annotation 2020-04-08 095723.png

No, You will not receive any credit for a bad WU. Even though there likely is data that can be used, a single FPC being wrong can throw the ENTIRE rest of the calculation off. 

Bad WUs are scrapped by the server after upload and are reassigned to a different user. Thrown out data is data that isn't contributing to the next round of WUs

1 minute ago, LordKitsune said:

Make your own splitter, scissor and tape will do it! (NO dont do it, you could broke another fan)

Spoiler

splitter.jpg.7f825214b5fd7dd13077a1b18b66c977.jpg

Just now, ffbr said:

Nothing that a wire cutter can"t solve 😶

You're right...

I don't want to take wire cutters to my only pc though. If anything just because I don't want to not be crunching on a WU. Screw it if I get shocked, might wake me up!

I've got 3 different systems setup to Fold, but I am not getting any Work.  Any ideas?

UPDATE: 2 of them actually are now, but 1 has been trying for hours to download and it's only getting "No WUs available for this configuration"

1 minute ago, macmanlex said:

I've got 3 different systems setup to Fold, but I am not getting any Work.  Any ideas?

This should really be pinned...

Add :

client-type     advanced

https://foldingathome.org/support/faq/installation-guides/configuration-guide/

Aorus X570 Xtreme | Ryzen 3900X | Aorus RTX 2080 Ti Xtreme  | G.Skill Trident Z 64GB 3200 MHz  CL14

23 minutes ago, Gustavehomme01 said:

You have to ask for a quota increase. That's what got me as well the fist 36 hours...

I'm with ya if you look at card per card but if you look at an instance of 4 T4 to 1 P100 same cost but more the double the PPD with the 4 T4s. 

As you can see my P100 cost me a lot more then the advertised price of 1.09$/h. plus you still have to add the cost of the CPU/RAM and network  all in all it was roughly 4.5$/h for 2 P100s..  I dont yet have the full cost of the 8 T4s but considering the config was advertised less then the s P100 I should get more PPD. 

image.thumb.png.24efeb67c160370ab140f42812a7f26a.png 

Ah, I see...I was just increasing my overall quota for GPUs. I didn't realiseI could specify region. Thanks!

And yeah P100 definitely is worse, I should have checked it sooner oh well haha. The V100 is not too bad though, just a little bit worse than the T4's.

Today is not a good day. My pump decided 20 days of usage was too much for it and decided to kick the bucket. Major pain in the ass to get it swaped with the current lockdowns in place... but we're back in the fold. :) 

1 minute ago, walderston said:

This should really be pinned...

Add :

client-type     advanced

https://foldingathome.org/support/faq/installation-guides/configuration-guide/

Yeah with the consequences you got "not so stable and tested" wu.. Why not change it to beta for the risk and "bigger pool"?

2 minutes ago, Plexas said:

Today is not a good day. My pump decided 20 days of usage was too much for it and decided to kick the bucket. Major pain in the ass to get it swaped with the current lockdowns in place... but we're back in the fold. :) 

Everybody is having mechanical issues now. We've been folding too hard! 😜

6 minutes ago, macmanlex said:

Can you show us your log? There is so many factor.. I even found that my internet connection can be a problem (dunno why) - my cloud folding is seem getting more wu than my folding rig.... So I setup a VPN, and viola..