LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

Just now, scuff gang said:

And is this as gpu intensive as furmark?

@LIGISTX

I am not sure.... It does look like the GPU's down clock the RAM a bit when they get running on this tho. So I assume it is seeing it as a power virus and scaling them back.

I have very good cooling and very good cards, so I pumped the memory back up to standard... I may rethink that though. My RTX 2080 on water is only running 42C tho lol. And my 1080 on air is going 52c....

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

2 minutes ago, scuff gang said:

Ah, it was working on a wu for a second and then stopped when I tried to tweak my gpu in msi afterburner... 😂😂

gives me time to tweak some stuff i guess, how often do new work units come?

and I can I fold with multiple devices on the same account?

You can fold using multiple devices just make sure you enter in the same username, team name, and passkey on each device and it will credit you for all three computers.

I'm currently using my main gaming rig, my test bench, and getting ready to hook up my gaming laptop.  IF I can Cobble together any other working computers out of my spare parts I'll throw those on too.

2 minutes ago, scuff gang said:

Ah, it was working on a wu for a second and then stopped when I tried to tweak my gpu in msi afterburner... 😂😂

gives me time to tweak some stuff i guess, how often do new work units come?

and I can I fold with multiple devices on the same account?

Once you get a passkey you can fold on different devices and have the points pool together

Just now, LIGISTX said:

I still have not got a CPU task on one of my machines.... GPU is going strong on this guy tho. Just, keep waiting?

Both, just be patient. People are signing up to fold all the time. Make sure y'all go back to the beginning of this thread, and read the first post. It has some instructions to follow that will get your points tracked by the lovely people running this thing and potentially net a prize (though the chances go down by the minute with limited prizes and a growing number of folders).

The main thing is, keep folding, get your passkey, and above all else, Patience! :D

3 minutes ago, scuff gang said:

And is this as gpu intensive as furmark?

@LIGISTX

No, furmark intentionally sends more power through the card than what it is designed for, testing it for ability to handle absurd loads. It's a burn-in test meant to tell you whether you can push the card to the moon or not, or whether you need to look into a better cooling solution for said card/case.

3 minutes ago, LordKitsune said:

No, furmark intentionally sends more power through the card than what it is designed for, testing it for ability to handle absurd loads. It's a burn-in test meant to tell you whether you can push the card to the moon or not, or whether you need to look into a better cooling solution for said card/case.

Ummmm, no.

furmark is a gpu stress test that sends high loads through your gpu, not power, it is designed to test if gpu overclocks are stable or not.

if it sent more power through, you would risk burning out your card and no one wants to be responsible for making a program that burns out peoples cards intentionally.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

3 minutes ago, LordKitsune said:

Once you get a passkey you can fold on different devices and have the points pool together

Both, just be patient. People are signing up to fold all the time. Make sure y'all go back to the beginning of this thread, and read the first post. It has some instructions to follow that will get your points tracked by the lovely people running this thing and potentially net a prize (though the chances go down by the minute with limited prizes and a growing number of folders).

The main thing is, keep folding, get your passkey, and above all else, Patience! :D

Yea, I am folding, passkey is in. I have been folding since 2006? But I have not been active for a while... But this is a damn good cause to get behind, so here we are doing about 2.5M points a day and my 8700k isn't even spooled up yet. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

2 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

07:52:11:WU02:FS01:Server responded WORK_QUIT (404)
07:52:11:WARNING:WU02:FS01:Server did not like results, dumping

Rude.

Hmm I think we need a topic dedicated to the best FAH/BOINC error messages, this is gold.

3 minutes ago, scuff gang said:

Ummmm, no.

furmark is a gpu stress test that sends high loads through your gpu, not power, it is designed to test if gpu overclocks are stable or not.

Ummmm, no.

high loads = high power draw. high power draw = high heat output. Last time I ran FurMark, it was forcing my GPU to draw over 130% power (CPUID HWMonitor). Yes, it does check to see if your clock is stable, but that is not the only use for it. 

Has anyone else with nVidia cards gone into control panel and changed the setting to Optimise for Compute Performance?

I forgot that this was a thing up until now.

1 minute ago, DayDreamer2734 said:

Has anyone else with nVidia cards gone into control panel and changed the setting to Optimise for Compute Performance?

IT is?

9 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Hmm I think we need a topic dedicated to the best FAH/BOINC error messages, this is gold.

Best part is this happened around 3-4AM local time so since it was a 1070 gpu work unit it can't be caused by me cycling my slots, as a GPU WU on my computer only takes a few hours and I just checked it ran one successfully before it as well.

13 minutes ago, LordKitsune said:

22 minutes ago, scuff gang said:

r4Sd_L5n7p6b6pvk7UMi0VJRA8gSetUp70E20PiM

1 hour ago, LIGISTX said:

What is the best GPU OC for folding? IIRC it was pump the memory as far as possible, even sacrifice GPU core speed for memory if needed.

I typically run a 2025 MHz core and 7800 memory for gaming. Sound about right for folding? I doubt I can push my memory THAT much higher, and also don't want any errors....

GPU WUs do not like nor care about memory OC. Also, BEST OC for FOLDING is the one that is stable and not the one that is highest.

12 minutes ago, LordKitsune said:

Ummmm, no.

high loads = high power draw. high power draw = high heat output. Last time I ran FurMark, it was forcing my GPU to draw over 130% power (CPUID HWMonitor). Yes, it does check to see if your clock is stable, but that is not the only use for it. 

He is trying to explain you that furmark cannot put power draw in your card unless it is allowed. Furmark is only a software which requests computing power from GPU, however, allowed resources are decided by GPU itself, GPU BIOS and external GPU settings.

7 minutes ago, DayDreamer2734 said:

I am not sure about this, I do not think Nvidia has Compute Performance option, that is AMD thing if I remember correctly, and it had no difference at all (tried it on 10 different AMD cards). However, for Nvidia cards, I like to put everything towards performance:

Power Management mode: Prefer maximum performance

Texture Filtering - Quality: High performance

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

CPU i7-8700k (5.0GHz)  Motherboard Aorus Z370 Gaming 7  RAM Vengeance® RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200MHz  GPU  Aorus 1080 Ti

Case Carbide Series SPEC-OMEGA  Storage  Samsung Evo 970 1TB & WD Red Pro 10TB

PSU Corsair HX850i  Cooling Custom EKWB loop

Display Acer Predator x34 120Hz

4 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

IT is?

It's not letting me upload a photo but, it's in the NV control panel under manage 3D settings and then Global Settings. Default is off.

It's not letting me upload a photo but, it's in the NV control panel under manage 3D settings and then Global Settings. Default is off.

What GPU are you using that allows you to configure Computing mode in Nvidia Control Panel?

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

CPU i7-8700k (5.0GHz)  Motherboard Aorus Z370 Gaming 7  RAM Vengeance® RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200MHz  GPU  Aorus 1080 Ti

5 minutes ago, Favebook said:

GPU WUs do not like nor care about memory OC. Also, BEST OC for FOLDING is the one that is stable and not the one that is highest.

Oh really? I swear this did not used to be the case at all. But that was back on my GTX 470...

4 minutes ago, Favebook said:

What GPU are you using that allows you to configure Computing mode in Nvidia Control Panel?

I have a 980ti and a 970. I have the other settings you have specified earlier set for maximum performance.

Driver version is 442.19.

It may not make much of a difference but my thought at this point is every little bit counts.

So I got a wu, and all the sudden my Noctua industrials were like “is that heat?” “VROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!”

AMD blackout rig

I've got to have something set wrong my 3200 G workstation with no graphics card has completed more WUs them my 2700x ryzen with RX570 graphics.

1 minute ago, LIGISTX said:

Oh really? I swear this did not used to be the case at all. But that was back on my GTX 470...

I am not sure about those old GPUs but everything above r9 380 and nvidia 1070 (that is lowest I have tested) did not even care about MC only thing that it would care is if your CC and MC clock are stable. Tho, higher CC does give some more PPD and going bellow certain MC does cause it to lower estimated PPD (tho, every WU is different so running factory MC or +100/+200 MC is what I recommend on newer cards). 

CC is whole different story, if you really want to push it, find the limit of your GPU by stress testing software and then lower your CC at least 2 steps lower than your highest CC (so you can avoid WU crashes but still have optimal performance).  For example, my 1080 Ti is cable of doing ~2080 CC but I lowered it to 2034 so it would always be stable

I have a 980ti and a 970. I have the other settings you have specified earlier set for maximum performance.

Driver version is 442.19.

It may not make much of a difference but my thought at this point is every little bit counts.

I am not sure about those older cards, 10th generations is the oldest one I used on Nvidia cards. You could try using compute option but personally, I do not think it is worth it meddling with that setting and I wouldn't touch it until end of event. But if you are up for experimenting, feel free to do it.

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

Just now, Oathkeeperspath said:

I've got to have something set wrong my 3200 G workstation with no graphics card has completed more WUs them my 2700x ryzen with RX570 graphics.

More WUs does not mean anything, CPU WUs can be small, while GPU WUs are usually much larger and provided a HELL OF A LOT more Points.

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

3 hours ago, Jaom said:

I love that noreply@foldingathome.org keeps spamming me the passkey. I've requested it 3 times i think. I've got 10 mails now. The intervals are 2, 4  and 8 hours (more or less).

I wonder whether they'll ever stop...

I have the exact opposite problem. I've requested a passkey like 6 times and haven't gotten a single one.

My rig:
CPU: Ryzen 1600X

MOBO: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3

RAM: 16Gb (2x8) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz DDR4

STORAGE: 512Gb ADATA Ultimate SU800 SSD; 1Tb WD Caviar Black HDD

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce  6Gb

PSU: EVGA GQ 650
CASE: CM MasterCase 5

PERIPHERALS: Corsair Strafe RGB, Corsair Sabre RGB, HyperX Cloud Stinger
PCP Link: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/EvEdSchob/saved/ZnLLkL

1 minute ago, mrcharlz said:

I have the exact opposite problem. I've requested a passkey like 6 times and haven't gotten a single one.

Oof, make sure you’ve actually started folding with a username and then use the name you selected in that window for a passkey

AMD blackout rig

1 minute ago, mrcharlz said:

I wouldn't request for a key multiple times. It won't get it to you any faster and can bog down the system on F@H's end

Just now, LordKitsune said:

I wouldn't request for a key multiple times. It won't get it to you any faster and can bog down the system on F@H's end

I didn't do it in quick succession. Their page won't even let you submit a request for the same email more than once every 4 hours. It's been a couple days since I requested my first key and still nothing.

My rig:
CPU: Ryzen 1600X

MOBO: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3

RAM: 16Gb (2x8) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz DDR4

STORAGE: 512Gb ADATA Ultimate SU800 SSD; 1Tb WD Caviar Black HDD

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce  6Gb

PSU: EVGA GQ 650
CASE: CM MasterCase 5

PERIPHERALS: Corsair Strafe RGB, Corsair Sabre RGB, HyperX Cloud Stinger
PCP Link: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/EvEdSchob/saved/ZnLLkL