Why some games are released in console first and later in pc?

220VoltsallCore
2 minutes ago, RapidTurtle said:

Are console makers  paying game devs for selling consoles?

Yes, it's all about money

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

5 minutes ago, RapidTurtle said:

It's because console players are PC's beta testers

/s

Some are.

But mostly it's about them getting extra time to work on the PC release, because console development is prioritized. That's because it typically seems to make more money (in the short term)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

8 minutes ago, RapidTurtle said:

Yes. It's quite the amount of money. I believe I heard that Microsoft paid Square Enix like 50 miliion US dollars! for them to release Rise of the Tomb Raider exclusively for the Xbox. Could be true could be not but I believe it tbh. 

10 minutes ago, RapidTurtle said:

Yes, but also sometimes they want people to buy it right away and then re-buy the superior pc version later like Rockstar has been doing.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

The Developers get a bonus if they release it on a specific system first.

They do that in order to drive up sales for their consoles and hope that many buy the game twice

My Gaming PC:
Inno3D iChill Black - RTX 4080 - +500 Memory, undervolted Core, 2xCorsair QX120 (push) + 2xInno3D 120mm (pull)
AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D - NZXT x72
G.SKILL Trident Z @6000MHz CL30 - 2x16GB
Asus Strix X670E-E Gaming

1x500GB Samsung 960 Pro (Windows 11)

1x2TB Kingston KC3000 (Games)

1x1TB WD Blue SN550 (Programs)

1x1TB Samsung 870 EVO (Programs)
Corsair RM-850X

Lian Li O11 Vision
ASUS ROG Swift OLED PG27AQDM (240hz OLED), MSI Optix MAG274QRFDE-QD, BenQ ZOWIE XL2720

Logitech G Pro Wireless Superlight
Wooting 60HE

Audeze LCD2-C + FiiO K3

Klipsch RP600-M + Klipsch R-120 SW

My Notebook:

MacBook Pro 16 M1 - 16GB

Proxmox-Cluster:

• Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus Strix X570E F-Gaming, 2x32GB3200MHz ECC, 2x 512GB NVMe ZFS-Mirror (Boot + Testing-VMs), 2x14TB ZFS-Mirror + 1x3TB (TrueNAS-VM), 1x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe (Ceph-OSD), 10G NIC
  • i7 8700k delidded undervolted, Gigabyte Z390 UD, 4x16GB 3200MHz, 1x 512GB SSD (Boot), 1x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe (Ceph-OSD), 2,5G NIC
  • i5 4670, 3x4GB + 1x8GB 1600MHz, 1x 512GB SSD (Boot), 1x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe (Ceph-OSD), 2,5G NIC

Proxmox-Backup-Server:

• i5 4670, 4x4GB 1600MHz, 2x2TB ZFS-Mirror, 2,5G NIC

Consoles have a fixed configuration, there's just one video card, one processor, all consoles have same amount of ram, same hard drive or ssd, there's minimal program running in background to steal resources from the game.

The game maker can design the game with fewer quality settings and fewer options because it knows the level of performance of the components in the console , so it's less work ... they can also optimize everything so that the game runs well

The console makers subsidize the game studio, basically they give them advance payments and often they pay for exclusivity (for ever or for a limited time). This brings gamers to the console and Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo etc can make more money through selling other games or selling services (game passes, movies etc)

Once the developers get the game out on console and they get more money from the first few months of sale (as the piracy is less on consoles) they can spend time making or tweaking quality settings to get the game running well on a variety of processors and video cards and maybe make the game even better looking on high end video cards.

2 hours ago, RapidTurtle said:

Several consoles have been sold at a loss. Games are how they turn a profit. But aside from that, up until the last generation, porting games to or from PC wasn't a simple matter. I mean it still takes work, but now everything except the Switch is using x86 architecture, and that makes things easier.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440