AMD releases Adrenalin 20.2.2 - attempt at bug squashing and faith restoring

Humbug

My friend and I discussed the Navi cards, Nvidia's offering is a slap in the face in the mid-upper range cards such as 2060-2070Super if driver quality were good on both sides, there's absolutely no brainer based on price to performance. Meanwhile I think the Vega 64 is still a good card, the 56 I feel just falls short of expectation and it's a sidegrade for me coming from a 980Ti, Radeon 7 still Vega but pricing for it makes no sense to me and I think the Vega series are stable driver wise. The 1660 series is a side grade to me and doesn't really add much to the stack asides Turing NVENC encoding engine.

Tldr; AMD has a great idea/product (with Navi) but poor execution on driver side which leaves Nvidia in a decent place (though price should be more competitive I think). Glad for the 1660 series but it leaves me wanting more from it based on my current system.

5 hours ago, AkatsukiKun said:

My friend and I discussed the Navi cards, Nvidia's offering is a slap in the face in the mid-upper range cards such as 2060-2070Super if driver quality were good on both sides, there's absolutely no brainer based on price to performance. Meanwhile I think the Vega 64 is still a good card, the 56 I feel just falls short of expectation and it's a sidegrade for me coming from a 980Ti, Radeon 7 still Vega but pricing for it makes no sense to me and I think the Vega series are stable driver wise. The 1660 series is a side grade to me and doesn't really add much to the stack asides Turing NVENC encoding engine.

Tldr; AMD has a great idea/product (with Navi) but poor execution on driver side which leaves Nvidia in a decent place (though price should be more competitive I think). Glad for the 1660 series but it leaves me wanting more from it based on my current system.

How iare the 2060-2070 supers a slap in the face?

Glad to hear they have fixed a lot of issues their customers have been facing. If that reddit thread is anything to go by, things are on the up and up. I'm still waiting for Big Navi and Amphere before I upgrade. And hopefully, this is signs of the things to come with AMD and their drivers. (Good things, folks. Good things)

Leonidas Specs: Ryzen 7 5800X3D | AMD 6800 XT Midnight Black | MSI B550 Gaming Plus | Corsair Dominator CL16 3200 MHz  4x8 32GB | be quiet! Silent Base 802

Maximus Specs: Ryzen 7 3700x | AMD 6700 XT Power Color Fighter | Asrock B550M-Itx/AC | Corsair Vengeance CL 16 3200 MHz 2x8 16 GB | Fractal Ridge Case (HTPC)

31 minutes ago, GreatnessRD said:

Glad to hear they have fixed a lot of issues their customers have been facing. If that reddit thread is anything to go by, things are on the up and up. I'm still waiting for Big Navi and Amphere before I upgrade. And hopefully, this is signs of the things to come with AMD and their drivers. (Good things, folks. Good things)

I feel forced to wait myself.  If I knew a 5700xt could take navi21light I’d just buy one.  I think there’s a decent chance a 2080ti can but they’re ridiculously overpriced.  Even the 5700xt is high.  Imho the 5700xt is a $300 card and the 2080ti is a $500 card.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 2/28/2020 at 7:13 PM, justpoet said:

I applaud companies any time they do a "bug fix only" release.  They are unfortunately fewer and further between now, often way behind the timing they should've been done, and only when things go completely wrong, but it is still good to see that response from ANY company.  Glad they're doing this.

While I agree with you, AMD has to. They don't have much of a choice otherwise people will move away from AMD to nVidia when it comes to GPU's.

I wonder, why did AMD buy ATi? AMD was a CPU company but in 2009 or 2010 AMD took them over and having two departments is too much to handle and I think AMD should have never bought them.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

1 minute ago, CTR640 said:

While I agree with you, AMD has to. They don't have much of a choice otherwise people will move away from AMD to nVidia when it comes to GPU's.

I wonder, why did AMD buy ATi? AMD was a CPU company but in 2009 or 2010 AMD took them over and having two departments is too much to handle and I think AMD should have never bought them.

if they didn't they would have died, it would have meant no console sales to keep them afloat during the bulldozer days, they might have had more money in the bank but not sure if that would help much, long term its still their best bet, it also gave them the opportunity to go to markets where intel had no bribing power, and recently their drivers have been pretty good, these last 6 months have been the exception not the norm, they do need more software guys thats for sure to get more optimizations day 1

On 2/28/2020 at 1:12 PM, Humbug said:

Looks like they pulled everyone on the software team away from performance and feature work for a few weeks and said just focus on bugs.

On 2/28/2020 at 1:13 PM, justpoet said:

I applaud companies any time they do a "bug fix only" release.  They are unfortunately fewer and further between now, often way behind the timing they should've been done, and only when things go completely wrong, but it is still good to see that response from ANY company.  Glad they're doing this.

Speaking from the other side of this. The devs totally understand and wish they could do more to help. This is a corporate management and image issue.

I have been a part of a few of these "Safety Stand-downs" (What they called them) where everyone dropped scope work and tried to knock out as many defects as they could in two weeks. The problem is that isnt enough time for many large issues, and then  management pretends like they fixed everything and pushes everyone back onto their scope work. The devs always wish they could fix more things, or larger things, but defect fixes dont sell products.

The solution for this? Make as much public noise as possible. "There is no bad press" is total bullshit. Force the companies bs into the light and they will put a larger focus on quality over speed. Which in the software world follows the adage "slow is smooth smooth is fast", its much easier to write new things on top of good code than shit code with 50 bandaid fixes over top of it.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

37 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

if they didn't they would have died, it would have meant no console sales to keep them afloat during the bulldozer days, they might have had more money in the bank but not sure if that would help much, long term its still their best bet, it also gave them the opportunity to go to markets where intel had no bribing power, and recently their drivers have been pretty good, these last 6 months have been the exception not the norm, they do need more software guys thats for sure to get more optimizations day 1

So ATi almost died? The last card I remember before I haven't looked any into hardware was the HD4870 or so. They also had a dual GPU X2. ATi could stand against nVidia pretty fine so not sure what happened if ATi was almost bankrupt. I mean, nVidia had a GTX480 or GTX580 that was a horrible one.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

Hi everyone

I have an asus strix 5700xt, the new display driver (adrenaline 20.2.2) is not on asus’s website, if I were to download the driver from amd would there be any conflicts with my gpu. I’m concerned that any asusspecific tweaks might be affected and cause instability, aura sync, fan control etc..

Could anyone advise please. 

5 hours ago, RGA said:

Hi everyone

I have an asus strix 5700xt, the new display driver (adrenaline 20.2.2) is not on asus’s website, if I were to download the driver from amd would there be any conflicts with my gpu. I’m concerned that any asusspecific tweaks might be affected and cause instability, aura sync, fan control etc..

Could anyone advise please. 

Always use driver directly from AMD/Nvidia unless you're using some old mobile GPU that need specific OEM configuration, mostly AMD mobile chips but that was like 5-8 years ago iirc.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

On 3/2/2020 at 6:29 AM, xAcid9 said:

Always use driver directly from AMD/Nvidia unless you're using some old mobile GPU that need specific OEM configuration, mostly AMD mobile chips but that was like 5-8 years ago iirc.

Thanks 

I'm still annoyed that they made eyefinity useless on multimonitor setups with different resolutions

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

On 3/1/2020 at 8:02 PM, CTR640 said:

So ATi almost died? The last card I remember before I haven't looked any into hardware was the HD4870 or so. They also had a dual GPU X2. ATi could stand against nVidia pretty fine so not sure what happened if ATi was almost bankrupt. I mean, nVidia had a GTX480 or GTX580 that was a horrible one.

I think they mean that AMD would possibly dead if they had not bought, because they would not have survived bulldozer era if not for GPUs. Don't know if that is true tho.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

I haven’t had a single issue since I went to this driver. I’m only one person speaking on this but I play games at least 20 hours a week on this pc. 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

Its only taken me a week to get enough time but I just installed 20.2.2 and it has fixed every issue I had. RDR2 is now rock solid, no more random black screens and HDR seems to be working on all my games again.

Great release AMD

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)