The fan spins even greater - New Red magic phone benchmarks spotted

williamcll

image.png.95ddc81b113881323384f166e59e6634.pnggsmarena_003.jpg

A new model of the Nubia Red magic with the latest 865 chipset has been found on geekbench, showing that is 3% faster single core and 5% multicore in performance compared to the Mi 10 pro (and even higher than the International model Samsung s20 Ultra which only has 800 single and 3077 multi) It is noted that previous information mentioned that this phone will carry up to 256GB storage, 16GB LPDDR5, FHD+ 144hz and its signature integrated cooling fan.

Nubia CEO Ni Fei keeps teasing the company’s upcoming flagship Red Magic 5G phone and he just confirmed it will come with a 16GB LPDDR5 RAM option. The option was previously teased by Fei in the beginning of the month as was the fact that all Red Magic 5G units will come with LPDDR5 RAM as standard. The new leak shows us a screenshot from the device and its about phone section where we can also spot more of its key features. Starting off with the Snapdragon 865 chipset alongside the X55 modem for its 5G connectivity. Other notable features include 256GB storage and we can also spot the phone is running on Redmagic OS on top of Android 10.

Taking a look at the notification shade we can spot two interesting icons - a fan and a 144Hz mode. The first one is presumably there to indicate when the phone’s built-in fan is working while the other indicates when the high refresh rate mode is turned on. The Red Magic 5G was supposed to be announced at MWC but given the cancellation of the event, it will now be launched in China at a yet to be confirmed date.

Source: https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/1247743
https://www.gsmarena.com/nubia_red_magic_5g_will_have_a_16gb_ram_option-news-41581.php
https://www.weibo.com/2894115102/IuDp7uOjl?type=comment#_rnd1582390309809

Thoughts: I don't think the 865 is a good choice as a gaming phone since qualcomm is continuing to produce gaming optimized chipsets, I would hold until the 865+ to be released first.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Very interesting going for 144Hz though. Gaming phone and all that, will there even be games that will play that high. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

5 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

Very interesting going for 144Hz though. Gaming phone and all that, will there even be games that will play that high. 

Very unlikely

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Ive never gamed on a phone before, but would anyone really buy one (regardless of price, not to mention the average crazy high price) just to have a better experience playing mobile games? Are mobile games worth investing close to 4 figures on?

9 hours ago, JoshHendi said:

Ive never gamed on a phone before, but would anyone really buy one (regardless of price, not to mention the average crazy high price) just to have a better experience playing mobile games? Are mobile games worth investing close to 4 figures on?

Yeah, the concept of having a flagship phone at first seems cool, but then you understand that you could have gotten away with a phone under $250.

Gaming phones just do not make any sense to me. I have a laptop and a PC, the only people who game on phones are usually kids... A target audience who do not have 4 figures to spend on a phone. 

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

9 hours ago, JoshHendi said:

specially when the most engaging games mobile games are simple titles like Angry birds, Flappy bird, Archero etc...

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

On 2/22/2020 at 11:53 AM, williamcll said:

the latest 865 chipset

I hate phrasing it like this because within the next year it won't be the "latest" anymore

1 hour ago, suicidalfranco said:

specially when the most engaging games mobile games are simple titles like Angry birds, Flappy bird, Archero etc...

This video might justify gaming/flagship phones for tinkerers who'd like to port their favorite games on mobile. This video makes me regret buying an iPhone 7 over the Samsung S8 (at the time). 

I thought Red is making another phone, the title is a bit misleading.

honestly, this will stay niche, but I am happy that it exists, we can see that the fan increases the performance and for select few that need/want the fastest phone right now it is a good thing. The difference is small enough that for most it wouldn't make sense and I hope it stays this way. In laptops we have more powerful hardware that without proper cooling slows down so much, you never know how it'll perform without checking out the tests of the exact model you're interested in. For phones you can at least assume any Snapdragon 855 will be more or less the same.

8 hours ago, kokakolia said:

This video might justify gaming/flagship phones for tinkerers who'd like to port their favorite games on mobile. This video makes me regret buying an iPhone 7 over the Samsung S8 (at the time). 

my only issue with old PC game emulation/port on mobile is the controls are just too much trash unless you connect it to a kb/m or controller, which at that point removes the portability advantage and you would just have been better off with carrying a laptop, heck even an ultrabook 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I haven't played games on my phone in years, but even so I hope the trend of high refresh displays keeps becoming more mainstream. Regular day to day desktop tasks feel so much better on desktop with 144+ monitors and I can only imagine that that feeling is amplified when you're dealing with a screen that you are manually manipulating and smooth scrolling around on. Plus it seems like the battery life impact can be easily minimized by making the screen run at slower refresh rates on static images and then only pushing the extra pixels when they're really needed. 

It's not a make or break feature, certainly, but it could definitely push me over the edge to select one phone over another the next time I upgrade. 

You post this just after I ordered a 3S... smh?‍♂️

My Folding Stats Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! 

Aviation Engineer by day,

Game Developer by Night,

IT Engineer for a Hobby,

Husband in between!

Proud creator of EvoCore! 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.retrodex.evocore&hl=en

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/evocore/id1459714064

12 minutes ago, JoshHendi said:

Could've been an S3

Oof ??

My Folding Stats Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! 

Aviation Engineer by day,

Game Developer by Night,

IT Engineer for a Hobby,

Husband in between!

Proud creator of EvoCore! 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.retrodex.evocore&hl=en

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/evocore/id1459714064