Best location for tower?

nelska
4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

True.  “Best” and “sufficient” are different things though.

True but "best" comes with a lot of factors as well. Whats best for person a might not be whats best for person b.

Your pc is going to perform the same on the floor as it does on your desk.

54 minutes ago, thobeq said:

I duno i have no experience with the pump fan headers. i for some reason try to steer clear of that for now.. its not that its water.. its an extra sata cable you dont have to use if you just air it out.. maaan. plus the fan in the case instead of ontop or whatever.. just works near the cpu where it goes.

I put it on my desk at home but in collge my desk is too small so its on the floor.

I've got a feeling when I move to an apartment I'm going to end up getting 10-12ft by 3-4ft desk for myself and for my GF

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

10 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

On the floor will accumulate more dust over time. I keep mine behind my main monitor on the table (so the components face me). Lot less dust and never any cooling issues.

On the floor is fine depending on the floor and how dirty you are...  I've always kept mine on a wheeled platform to the side of my desk and I run the vacuum over the outside of it and clean the filters every couple of weeks.

I wouldn't advise putting it on carpet, but wood/laminate floors will be fine all you have to do is keep the room clean. It won't get any more 'dusty' than anything else... if you can't be bothered to keep your room clean... you'll never have a really clean computer.

Another factor could be the case itself... If it's got any fans/filters on the bottom make sure there's  enough room for airflow underneath.

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.

59 minutes ago, Anomnomnomaly said:

On the floor is fine depending on the floor and how dirty you are...  I've always kept mine on a wheeled platform to the side of my desk and I run the vacuum over the outside of it and clean the filters every couple of weeks.

I wouldn't advise putting it on carpet, but wood/laminate floors will be fine all you have to do is keep the room clean. It won't get any more 'dusty' than anything else... if you can't be bothered to keep your room clean... you'll never have a really clean computer.

Another factor could be the case itself... If it's got any fans/filters on the bottom make sure there's  enough room for airflow underneath.

My germaphobe of a mother would disagree. She kept our house clean enough to eat off the toilet seat and drink the water (okay, slight exaggeration, but you get the idea). Our family pc was kept on the floor next to the desk, which was hardwood. My mom vacuumed, dusted, and dry-mopped a minimum of twice per week. It was usually more like three times (I think she also cleans when she's bored - must be where I get it from). But despite this, it was still a rats nest of dust inside.

Eons later, with my own pc, I keep it on top of my table behind my monitors. My late cat (bless her) would cuddle up in between them because it was warm and cozy. I have a nasty habit of being a lazy schmuck and I only just dusted out my pc last year (because I built a new on in the same case). Despite my lovely kitty having her regular nap spot next to it for three strait years, very minimal hair, fur, or dust ever accumulated in it. For reference, I have four 140mm intake fans on front, and one 230mm side intake, two 230mm top exhaust and one 120mm rear exhaust and no fan filters (save for the mesh on the front of the case itself).

Suffice to say, it's not how clean you keep a home/room, it may have just been dumb luck honestly. Every time I've ever opened a pc that spent its life on the floor, it's always been dustier than those that live up higher. Or maybe I just have a filthy clientele...

2 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

My germaphobe of a mother would disagree. She kept our house clean enough to eat off the toilet seat and drink the water (okay, slight exaggeration, but you get the idea). Our family pc was kept on the floor next to the desk, which was hardwood. My mom vacuumed, dusted, and dry-mopped a minimum of twice per week. It was usually more like three times (I think she also cleans when she's bored - must be where I get it from). But despite this, it was still a rats nest of dust inside.

Eons later, with my own pc, I keep it on top of my table behind my monitors. My late cat (bless her) would cuddle up in between them because it was warm and cozy. I have a nasty habit of being a lazy schmuck and I only just dusted out my pc last year (because I built a new on in the same case). Despite my lovely kitty having her regular nap spot next to it for three strait years, very minimal hair, fur, or dust ever accumulated in it. For reference, I have four 140mm intake fans on front, and one 230mm side intake, two 230mm top exhaust and one 120mm rear exhaust and no fan filters (save for the mesh on the front of the case itself).

Suffice to say, it's not how clean you keep a home/room, it may have just been dumb luck honestly. Every time I've ever opened a pc that spent its life on the floor, it's always been dustier than those that live up higher. Or maybe I just have a filthy clientele...

I hear ya my mom was a cleaning lady

10 hours ago, nelska said:

which ways better..

Intel-Devils-Canyon-1.jpg

1 as it covers more of the heat generating part.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

18 hours ago, Stu_Bear said:

Put mine on the floor where the air is coolest...that and the fact my desk is too small to put it anywhere else.

I got heat in my floor

7 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

It depends on all sorts of things. Like if you have a loft/bunk bed, the computer is better off NOT being directly under the mattress, because it will suck the dust in that comes from the underside of the mattress.

If you have concrete or carpet, the dust and mold will simply grow up from the ground surface, so you want to avoid that.

The happy middle is to have hardwood flooring or at worst, a hard laminate type of flooring where there are no gaps for dust/mold to form in. That you can put the PC directly on the floor or in a "wheelie" type of tower/server mobility solution. If you have carpet, you must put one of those thicker hard plastic mats underneath the machine, and even then it doesn't do anything for the front fans.

If you, or someone else likes to vacuum or dust the room the PC is in, it will actually put more dust into the air. So you should actually avoid vacuuming frequently unless you have pets or wear your shoes indoors. If you have hardwood or laminate flooring you should actually wash the floors once in a while, depending again on pets/shoes. Those swiffer things are actually not bad for keeping dust down on flooring, but they otherwise suck on all other surfaces.

If you have long hair or pets, the PC will collect your hair just as badly as it collects under the wheels of the chair. So at some point you will be replacing fans/wheels on things no matter how clean you think you think your environment is.

6 hours ago, NineEyeRon said:

1 as it covers more of the heat generating part.

Actually horizontally seems to work way better in the long run cuz it helps pull the fans air from the bottom of the case upwards. I have a bottom case fan so it equalizes. I also play fps inverted so it gives a lift feel like when piloting helicopters ECT. Fps first person shooters not frames per second  also cinebench runs bettering my "case" horizontally.

I keep mine on the floor most of the time. Normally get a 2-6" stand to put them on so they get more air flow and less dust.

39 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

I keep mine on the floor most of the time. Normally get a 2-6" stand to put them on so they get more air flow and less dust.

Lately I've gone old-school and keep it just to the right of my monitor with just enough space for the mouse in-between those giant mousepads suck to keep they take up the whole desk.

3 hours ago, nelska said:

Lately I've gone old-school and keep it just to the right of my monitor with just enough space for the mouse in-between those giant mousepads suck to keep they take up the whole desk 

If you were really old-school, your tower would be on its side with the monitor stacked on top. ?

13 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

If you were really old-school, your tower would be on its side with the monitor stacked on top. ?

Exactly! Lol. Sitting in your lap the fans would be totally different lol hense why the put the CPU fan in vertically but it's standing on the desk! Lol.

I built a crappy rolling stand out of spare peices of wood and castor wheels many years ago.  It only raises the PC about 10" off the floor.  It also makes moving the heavy PC around very easy.   I think it would be nice to make something like this that looks nicer..

Also, that's my old antec 1200.  It fell out of the back of my car once and hit the pavement.   Amazingly, the computer components inside were unharmed.    Its lucky it only had a 1060 in there though.  One of the back corners crushed and it bent the case a little.. I will try to fix it the bast I can.  I love this case, I'll put a new PC in it at some point.  Cooling performance is the best ive ever owned.

15817280626576589018898964148407.jpg

I bought this from IKEA, placed it on the right of my desk and the PC sits on top of it. This way it does not take up space on my desk but the PC also does not sit directly on the floor where it would definitely gather more dust. Plus I can see the RGB ?

Screenshot - 15_02.jpg

There is no replacement for RGB except more RGB ?

I'm kinda set on giving up on a huge mousepad cuz I just want my tower to my right as close as can be without blocking anything from the mouse being able to move or whatnot.

Put it on the table but somewhat protected, maybe as another user said, behind the monitor. On the floor it will gather dust inside, so that's a no-go.

2 hours ago, Kevin1Peters said:

Put it on the table but somewhat protected, maybe as another user said, behind the monitor. On the floor it will gather dust inside, so that's a no-go.

unncomfy

I keep mine on top of my desk, granted, I have a huge desk. It's a full tower. The reason for this is ehemmm...so i can admire my work, but also less dust. I designed my cooling solution to be neutral pressure to further that goal.

CPU: AMD Threadripper 2950X 16 Core/ 32 Thread 4.4ghz (XFR)

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme

GPU: EVGA GTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra

RAM: Quad Channel Gskill Flare X 32GB 2933mhz 14-14-14-34

Case: Corsair Graphite 780T

On 2/13/2020 at 9:28 PM, TempestCatto said:

Tbh it doesnt matter if you clean everyday dust will be there. Everytime you open the door, walk through the house, etc dust (be it dirt, dead skin, etc) is falling all over the place.

As long as the dust isnt so bad its making your temps really high. Its nothing to worry about. Not great to look at on your nice pc but not harmful.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2020 at 10:10 AM, nelska said:

Actually horizontally seems to work way better in the long run cuz it helps pull the fans air from the bottom of the case upwards. I have a bottom case fan so it equalizes. I also play fps inverted so it gives a lift feel like when piloting helicopters ECT. Fps first person shooters not frames per second  also cinebench runs bettering my "case" horizontally.

I wonder how long until people that are arguing about this realize that IHS stands for internal(maybe integrated dont remember off the top of my head) heat spreader. It doesnt make much of a difference and if it did then amd would mention it or it would have a special cooler design.

46 minutes ago, Killing-time-itself said:

I wonder how long until people that are arguing about this realize that IHS stands for internal(maybe integrated dont remember off the top of my head) heat spreader. It doesnt make much of a difference and if it did then amd would mention it or it would have a special cooler design.

Haven’t seen anyone arguing.  Just saying what they personally did about this issue in their situation.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 3/2/2020 at 10:17 AM, Bombastinator said:

Haven’t seen anyone arguing.  Just saying what they personally did about this issue in their situation.

I guess that's a better way to put it for the majority though. I've seen people arguing about it before though I'm still of the belief that it's a negligible difference.

On 2/13/2020 at 10:34 AM, nelska said:

I usually try and keep mine as close to the right of the monitor as possible but with gaming mousepads and widescreen monitors its harder to do these days and the tower itself sometimes winds up on the floor just under everything... What's your best call?

Personally I like having mine on my desk, as it accumulates less dust and look nice :))
But honestly, as long as you have decent dust filters and don't place it on thick carpet, the floor is fine

My Folding Stats | Folding for COVID-19 research

System Specs

CPU • Intel Core i7 8700k @5GHz

GPU • GTX 1060 6GB             

Motherboard • Asus Strix Z270-i                

Memory • 16GB HyperX Fury Black      

Cooler • NZXT Kraken X52 AIO         

Case • NZXT H210i                

Monitors • 2 Alienware AW2518H's