Best location for tower?

nelska
1 minute ago, nelska said:

where the heat sinks line up...

Intel-Devils-Canyon-1.jpg

I think they’re a whole lot bigger than that

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

I think they’re a whole lot bigger than that

true i guess its more spread out but comeon theres gotta be some kinda strategy here lol.

2 minutes ago, nelska said:

How are they? I thought it was squares from left top 0 right top 1 left bottom 2 left bottom 3? They are all different. I think it goes top to bottom 0123. with the most used one second from the top. so youd want to arrange the cooler so each core gets its own heatsink. Horizontally.

It depends on the chip. But even if it's laid out like you say, and all the proportions are evenly distributed, two heatpipes would be on two chips, not one on one. Not to mention, heat pipes are not independent of each other, the fact that they are sandwiched together means that heat transfers between them. 

i duno i set it to vertical and although it seems to fit better around the ram slots and the chipset on the mobo i just duno if it feels right.. i feel like im getting pulled into the screen. lol.

Just now, nelska said:

true i guess its more spread out but comeon theres gotta be some kinda strategy here lol.

Why?  There might possibly be.  I don’t see any “got to” to though.  Heat moves through things and spreads out as it goes.  It moves through a lot of things.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Blue4130 said:

It literally makes no difference. 

think this way tho any hot air is gunna help a horizontal fan spin lol. cuz hot air rises.

i duno i set it to vertical and although it seems to fit better around the ram slots and the chipset on the mobo i just duno if it feels right.. i feel like im getting pulled into the screen. lol.

That wouldn’t have anything to do with how the heat pipes collect heat from the CPU.

and vertically heat rises so the bottom half of the heat doesnt even get dispersed. this is easily a horizontally made design.

think this way tho any hot air is gunna help a horizontal fan spin lol. cuz hot air rises.

Any small amount of flow from a case fan will easily overpower natural convection from hot air. 

Just now, Blue4130 said:

Any small amount of flow from a case fan will easily overpower natural convection from hot air. 

no way the top half is boiling and the bottom is cold. lol. nah i dont really know. im sure it disperses heat more evenly horizontally becuase the heat is trapped to move outwards instead of just up into the top half of the heatsinks. the bottom half just sits cold while the top half boils. leaving the bottom half of the radiator useless.

and vertically heat rises so the bottom half of the heat doesnt even get dispersed. this is easily a horizontally made design.

That's why they have fans. 

Heat doesn’t rise by itself.

Hot air rises because it has more volume per weight than cold air.  Happens to lots of liquids and gasses.  WHEN the heat gets TO the heat pipe that becomes a thing, but not until it’s IN the heat pipe (which really isn’t a “heat pipe” specifically so much as a solid state phase change heat exchanger)

24 minutes ago, nelska said:

which ways better..

Intel-Devils-Canyon-1.jpg

Here's an article where they delid a Core i7: https://wccftech.com/intel-core-i7-7700k-delid-performance-tests/

The chip only takes up the center area in these, so either way the heatsink is positioned, the middle pipes will really be the only ones touching directly.  The others will absorb any excess heat left over.

Just had to run to bestbuy for some thermal paste and reinstalled fresh.. idle temps 24c. cinebench hit 48c-50c for a seeecond. Not horrible... Pretty sure the other configuration was almost 10c cooler but whatever. I feel comfortable sitting like this. hahaha

but I can tell you guys my gpu oc scanner x benchmark just scored about 10c cooler with a horizontal fan believe it or not. spinning up. I think the cpu is helping pull up the air. leaving the cpu at 32c-35c Im sure its a bit of a bummer but its helping out the gpu temps tremendously.

but I can tell you guys my gpu oc scanner x benchmark just scored about 10c cooler with a horizontal fan believe it or not. spinning up. I think the cpu is helping pull up the air. leaving the cpu at 32c-35c Im sure its a bit of a bummer but its helping out the gpu temps tremendously.

That kind of thing can happen.  Airflow is fluid dynamics and gets fantastically complicated very fast.  Butterfly effect stuff.  No telling what will help or hurt.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

That kind of thing can happen.  Airflow is fluid dynamics and gets fantastically complicated very fast.  Butterfly effect stuff.  No telling what will help or hurt.

the main thing is to stare at the oc scanner x benchmark until it all starts to look fluid. lol. hahahaha

2 minutes ago, thobeq said:

Who knows?  Its definitely interesting.  It’s got a cpu that’s not even out yet, no pricing, a thousand dollar GPU, and a whole bunch of stuff that could really matter set “none selected”

again that word “good”.  

Tbh as long as its dry and has airflow you can put your pc anywhere.

If you set it on the floor itll collect more dust but its not going to hurt anything. I have one on my desk and another under the desk on the carpet floor. temps are fine and i just use some air to blow it out every couple of months.

2 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

Tbh as long as its dry and has airflow you can put your pc anywhere.

If you set it on the floor itll collect more dust but its not going to hurt anything. I have one on my desk and another under the desk on the carpet floor. temps are fine and i just use some air to blow it out every couple of months.

True.  “Best” and “sufficient” are different things though.

Most ideal would be either an L desk / side tablew with the tower out of the way or a baller itx rig behind the monitor (s)