2700x and rx580, GPU bottleneck or not?

Tichardleanin

I am thinking of building my first pc, and was wondering if pairing a ryzen 7 2700x and an rx 580 would be gpu bound or not.

(Any other thoughts about this configmwould be welcome)

Thanks

Richard

811F763D-C1C1-4EA6-9ECC-090D168F20B1.jpeg

I would say probably.  2700x is more powerful than my cpu (4770k@4.0ghz) and even I can bury a 580.

Edited by Bombastinator
Ihateautocorrect

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

It will be a GPU bound scenario, excluding CPU bound games like CSGO.

I had an RX 580 with a Ryzen 7 1700, but I upgraded the GPU now and saw pretty big improvement in fps (excluding CSGO, which saw minimal improvements).

An RX 580 is a good 1080p card.

But are you actually considering a new PC without SSD?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Rx 580 .is the same performance as a R9 fury, Dont get the 4g version, get 8g.

If you can spend a bit more look for used vega 56s really good card to pair with that 2700x

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

it's fine 

True in that bottlenecks don’t actually cause problems.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

i'd go for this for a budget build. the ram that you chose in your build is very slow and your motherboard quite bad, might not even work well with a 2700x.

25 minutes ago, Xkillerpn said:

Rx 580 .is the same performance as a R9 fury, Dont get the 4g version, get 8g.

If you can spend a bit more look for used vega 56s really good card to pair with that 2700x

*R9 Fury = RX 590

Agree with the 8gb version.  My issue I run into on my Fury is the lack of VRAM, and while HBM helps its the reason my lows are low on FPS.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Just now, Tristerin said:

*R9 Fury = RX 590

Agree with the 8gb version.  My issue I run into on my Fury is the lack of VRAM, and while HBM helps its the reason my lows are low on FPS.

Some retailers are selling the Rx590 for the same price as the Rx580. Just need to shop around!

Spoiler

My Rig {TEAM RED} --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU: AMD Ryzen 2700X GPU: Powercolor Red Dragon RX590 8GB PSU: Novatech Powerstation V2 500w Semi Modular 

Mobo: Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming RAM: Adata XPG 16GB 3000mhz Storage: Sandisk Ultra 120GB SSD + 1 WD 1TB Blues

Case: Corsair Carbide Spec 05   Cooling:  AMD Raith Spectre RGB  Monitor:  Benq XL2420Z

Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion SPECTRUM  Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus SPECTRUM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes you will almost certainly have a GPU bottleneck in quite a few games however as long as your getting enough performance for your needs/desires, its not an issue.  Honestly I think too much is being made about bottlenecks mostly because even the best consumer CPU/GPU combo will experience bottlenecks at somewhere or another at some point or another depending on settings and the demands of the software be used.

I will say that in general for gaming, you usually get more out of a powerful GPU than you do out of a powerful processor.  For example, I recently built a Ryzen  3800X system while deciding to hang on to my old Vega 56 to hold me over until the next gen cards release later in the year.  Based on my research the Ryzen 3800X upgrade gave me about a 24% increase in 1080p FPS using my Vega 56 vs using my Vega 56 combined with my old Ryzen 1600 CPU.  However if I had been just looking for a raw FPS upgrade, I could have kept the Ryzen 1600 CPU and upgraded to a 2080 TI and gotten around a 55% increase in FPS, basically double the performance from doing the CPU upgrade.  I guess my point is, the GPU isn't something to skimp on skimp on, bottleneck or no bottleneck,  if you can swing it. 

2 minutes ago, Lakobrija said:

You will need 500W psu for rx 580. Also, I would get 1650S instead of 580

Yeah I didn't notice he had only selected a 400W PSU.  Honestly this is another area not to skimp on.  Get a good strong PSU.  I also recommend this because a good PSU is probably the most durable part of a PC build and if you plan for the future will last you though 2-3 or more builds.  I got a highly rated 750W gold PSU probably 6-7 years ago and it has lasted me through 3 complete rebuilds of my PC and is still in use on my old Ryzen 1600 System that I handed down to my Sister this year at Christmas.  750W has been overkill on all those systems but the way I look at it, is that having overkill on the PSU means I never have to stress it out which is probably why it is 6-7 years old and still going strong.

46 minutes ago, Midnitewolf said:

Yeah I didn't notice he had only selected a 400W PSU.  Honestly this is another area not to skimp on.  Get a good strong PSU.  I also recommend this because a good PSU is probably the most durable part of a PC build and if you plan for the future will last you though 2-3 or more builds.  I got a highly rated 750W gold PSU probably 6-7 years ago and it has lasted me through 3 complete rebuilds of my PC and is still in use on my old Ryzen 1600 System that I handed down to my Sister this year at Christmas.  750W has been overkill on all those systems but the way I look at it, is that having overkill on the PSU means I never have to stress it out which is probably why it is 6-7 years old and still going strong.

I was thinking of using a thermal take rgb 500w but it was not on pc part picker, would this be adequate?

thanks

richard

8DB26834-A3C8-4A6C-B6FA-657EB179A850.png

50 minutes ago, Tichardleanin said:

I was thinking of using a thermal take rgb 500w but it was not on pc part picker, would this be adequate?

thanks

richard

8DB26834-A3C8-4A6C-B6FA-657EB179A850.png

Even worse.  You’re missing the “not skimp” bit.  The issue is a power supply that doesn’t have good and correctly implemented protections in it can blow your whole machine if it fails.  The power supply heirarchy goes internal quality then modular cables then RGB. that one has RGB and modular cables and it’s cheaper than the cheapest high reliability power supply’s implying it has very poor internal quality.  Internal quality is both the most important feature and the hardest to see.  Check the PSU tierlist in the PSU section for PSUs that have actually been reviewed for internal quality.

17 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Even worse.  You’re missing the “not skimp” bit.  The issue is a power supply that doesn’t have good and correctly implemented protections in it can blow your whole machine if it fails.  The power supply heirarchy goes internal quality then modular cables then RGB. that one has RGB and modular cables and it’s cheaper than the cheapest high reliability power supply’s implying it has very poor internal quality.  Internal quality is both the most important feature and the hardest to see.  Check the PSU tierlist in the PSU section for PSUs that have actually been reviewed for internal quality.

Yeah.  Also make sure you considering function and reliability over looks. That is one of the first rules about building a PC. If your on a budget, the first thing that gets tossed out the window is RBG and other glam.  Your always better off getting a better, more powerful (up to a point) PSU, graphic card, MB, processor or RAM than RGB or a fancy case.  

Personally if you can afford it I would look trying to find a good rated 650w 80+ gold rated PSU as a base.  It will offer more power than you will likely need but that just means it will operate at closer to peak efficiency and down the road will likely be powerful enough to take on any upgrades, even a full system rebuild, that you might want to throw at it.  It will probably cost $20-$30 more (sorry not sure what the currency conversion rate is) though.  

Here is my list of priorities when building a system, in decending order.

1. PSU
  2. CPU
  3. MB
  4. GPU
  5. RAM
  6. HDD/SDD
  7. CASE
  8. RGB

Basically you want to try to balance things according to these priorities within your budget. 

Obviously you want to start off by picking a CPU that meets your needs but generally speaking, even something as low end as a Ryzen 1600 can give you solid gaming performance so having the biggest, baddest CPU usually isn't that important.  As soon as you have the figured out, start off with a good, solid PSU, it doesn't have to be massively expensive, but make sure it is good quality and give you a bit of power overhead to work with for if and when you want to upgrade.  Then take a look at MB's and try to find a good balance of price and performance, particularly paying attention to the quality first and features second.  Then try to budget in the best GPU you can but also consider that this is also one of the easiest upgrades you can do to a PC.  As far as RAM, I always felt I could skimp a bit here. It is nice to have super fast RAM with tight timings but generally speaking I have found that the performance difference between the fastest RAM and the slowest RAM is kind of small in the grand scheme of thing, maybe like 3-5% if that so if budget it a concern, you can cut a few corners here and go with 3200 or 3000 mhz RAM vs 3600.  As far as the HDD/SDD, it is nice to have an SSD but honestly a good, old fashion HDD is still adequate so you can save money here if you have to.  Probably the best budget bet here is a small SDD, maybe 256 MB, for the OS and maybe a few games and then maybe a 1 TB HDD for everything else. This is better in my opinion than skimping on a PSU in for example.  As far as a Case, you can get by with a pretty cheap case and there are some really good values for around $50 out there if you do a bit of research.  Finally RGB is just for show and the worst place to spend any money. Yeah it looks cool but at the end of the day, 99% of the time the only one looking at your PC is you and I can guarantee you will have a more enjoyable time with better performance than looking at rainbow lights. 

This is only my advice for building any gaming PC on a budget, obviously, if you have other needs or use cases, some of the priorities might change but generally speaking, using this method for building a gaming rig on a budget has worked well for me for around 20 years.