iPhone XR STILL the best selling phone of 2019

DrMacintosh
2 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Apple and weaker hardware. Dude, iPhones beat all competition even 1 WHOLE year after release. The A12 in iPhone XR is still better than Snapdragon 855+. And it's over 1 year old now. Weak hardware lol... This thread is about iPhone XR after all, not Mac Mini which I don't care about or have any experience with.

So your happy to form the opinion that specs/performance mean nothing, except where it supports your case?   Either the specs and performance are nothing and it's purely user experience or some specs are important as they effect user experience.  either way it is a subjective thing.   What you like about a phone is not inferential in a logical way to what others should need or like.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

10 hours ago, Curious Pineapple said:

Christ on a bike :/

More like Christ on a turbojet monocycle, truth is hard to swallow for you ain't it?

8 hours ago, mr moose said:

So your happy to form the opinion that specs/performance mean nothing, except where it supports your case?   Either the specs and performance are nothing and it's purely user experience or some specs are important as they effect user experience.  either way it is a subjective thing.   What you like about a phone is not inferential in a logical way to what others should need or like.

Lol? Is this a joke or are you dead serious? First YOU all bitch over specs and when I disprove your BS even on your arguments with a most important and obvious spec (chipset performance) on paper (synthetic benchmarks) and in real daily use, I'm the bad guy. Whaaaaat?! If that's what you're seriously going for, then I rest my case with old statement that specs mean absolutely nothing. Oh wait, now they all of a sudden don't mean anything for you either. Make up your mind already...

snip

That guy bounces his reasonings more than a massive pair of norks on a bouncy castle, it's really hard to put together a resonable reply to someone like that. I give up trying, it's easier explaining gravity to a flat earther.

9 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

That guy bounces his reasonings more than a massive pair of norks on a bouncy castle, it's really hard to put together a resonable reply to someone like that. I give up trying, it's easier explaining gravity to a flat earther.

I'm bouncing reasoning? You ppl say specs are the shit and when I disprove you even on that I'm "bouncing reasoning". LMAO. Sounds more like you guys are doing that, not me... But only when it fits you. Also it's no secret that iOS is always butter smooth, even if we totally dismiss the superiority of Bionic chipsets through raw compute capabilities or specs on paper. But I guess you'll all say I'm making that up too and call me Apple fanboy even though whole world is pretty much unified on that.

17 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Lol? Is this a joke or are you dead serious? First YOU all bitch over specs

Actually not me, and only a few people did.  The difference between you and me is that I am not offended by the thought that someone else has a different criteria for choosing the best phone for them.   

17 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

and when I disprove your BS even on your arguments with a most important and obvious spec (chipset performance) on paper (synthetic benchmarks) and in real daily use, I'm the bad guy. Whaaaaat?! If that's what you're seriously going for, then I rest my case with old statement that specs mean absolutely nothing. Oh wait, now they all of a sudden don't mean anything for you either. Make up your mind already...

Again, I said nothing about specs, performance or benchmarks (I didn't even mention chipsets) so your claims about me posting BS is not only confusion on your part, but failing to address what I actually said,   which was that you can't tell other people what is important in a phone,  much less the seemingly contradictory way you did it.  

9 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

I know, I have seen several members try to point out the flaws in his reasoning,  he just keeps coming back with even more contorted arguments that leave even the best of them baffled.    I guess that old saying holds true:  you can't use logic and reason to correct the conclusions of someone who didn't use logic or reason to draw them in the first place.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

11 hours ago, Curious Pineapple said:

People also buy things and sometimes performance is more important that a pretty looking snappy UI.

Your claim that Apple devices are better performing with weaker hardware doesn't really hold any water. They may "feel" quicker, in the same way my Reliant Robin feels quicker than my brothers Jeep.

I mentioned a Mini as there is one 6 foot away from me, and while it feels quicker to use compared to my workstation, when it comes to any real workload or even playing back a video, it has nothing on my machine. Cross platform games are another example. Very well optimized for the lower powered hardware of a console, but will struggle under heavier demand where a PC will cope just fine.

i NEVER claimed Apple is faster with weaker hardware unless you count core count as "worse performance". Their hardware is fastest in every factually measurable metric, visual and synthetic. Whole frigging world is unified on that. Except you apparently coz for you, facts don't matter, it's your feeling of performance that matters. You also seem to have a memory of a gold fish when you act like I'm making shit up when in fact you are... I guess you'll drag out the "But I talked about Mac Mini" as a defense. In a thread about iPhone XR... Guess what, I'm talking about iPhone XR the entire time unless stated otherwise (which was once when I mentioned Mac pro). ONCE.

Also @mr moose why are you even replying at me? First you argue with me and then you say you didn't say any of it. Then why are you arguing my points AT ALL? Or shall I say why they bother you so much?

8 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I know, I have seen several members try to point out the flaws in his reasoning,  he just keeps coming back with even more contorted arguments that leave even the best of them baffled.    I guess that old saying holds true:  you can't use logic and reason to correct the conclusions of someone who didn't use logic or reason to draw them in the first place.

I'm off to put a single 2GB stick of RAM in my machine, replace the 1050 with a 9500GT, dig out an 800X600 monitor and cram it all into a pretty looking case. It's a decade old and outperforms the i7 7700 on paper and Cinebench so that's all it needs. Decent CPU power and nothing else.

2 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Also @mr moose why are you even replying at me? First you argue with me and then you say you didn't say any of it. Then why are you arguing my points AT ALL? Or shall I say why they bother you so much?

I think you need to read the thread again. actually, you only nee to read this page:

Here is our discussion:

Nothing in that is me talking about specs being better or worse, in fact I don;t even mention specs by what they are just the general observation that you are arguing they don't mean anything except when they perform better.

37 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

More like Christ on a turbojet monocycle, truth is hard to swallow for you ain't it?

Lol? Is this a joke or are you dead serious? First YOU all bitch over specs and when I disprove your BS even on your arguments with a most important and obvious spec (chipset performance) on paper (synthetic benchmarks) and in real daily use, I'm the bad guy. Whaaaaat?! If that's what you're seriously going for, then I rest my case with old statement that specs mean absolutely nothing. Oh wait, now they all of a sudden don't mean anything for you either. Make up your mind already...

And here is you saying (in a rather childish way) that I made some claims about performance that I clearly did not. You tried to even claim you had disproven my claims.  Please quote the claims I made that you disproved.   I am telling you I said nothing about which specs are better, What I said is that you can't claim specs mean nothing then go one about some specs that perform better as an argument,  Why is that so hard to understand?

Is there any other source that can actually confirm this, perhaps with numbers as well? And a source that is not biased towards either Android or IOS? Because, you know, 9to5mac is far more likely to have a bias towards apple products than lets say techradar

Just now, AndreiArgeanu said:

Because, you know, 9to5mac is far more likely to have a bias towards apple products than lets say techradar

You fundamentally misunderstand journalism. 9to5mac did not create anything, all the research was done by CounterPoint Research. All 9to5mac did was publish the findings. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

20 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

You fundamentally misunderstand journalism. 9to5mac did not create anything, all the research was done by CounterPoint Research. All 9to5mac did was publish the findings. 

This is the only data Counter Point research have got about the Smartphone model share (and it's only for 8 countries), and the photo on their page is not from Counter Point Research, it's just shutter stock image. I just want to see the source, or the article they gathered their information from. Not trying to say the iph xr shouldn't be there, it is quite cheap after all.

21 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

This is the only data Counter Point research have got about the Smartphone model share (and it's only for 8 countries), and the photo on their page is not from Counter Point Research, it's just shutter stock image.

Relevance? 

21 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

I just want to see the source, or the article they gathered their information from. Not trying to say the iph xr shouldn't be there, it is quite cheap after all.

image.png.745938e631a12418555b3301763abb9e.png

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Companies like this don't get their data from "articles", but by gathering info from various industry contacts. Distributors, resellers etc, user surveys,...

Either you believe them or you don't, but you're not going to be able to verify anything (well, not unless you pay them a few tens of thousands of $ to get access to the full reports).

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

8 hours ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

That does not help

If it helps,  9to5mac and a few of the other apple based sites also have plainly negative articles about apple too.  Whist I can't say I have read every article from those sites, I can say honestly that I have read enough to know there isn't an intrinsic or general bias present.

meh, still wouldn't buy an iPhone after the awful taste the iPhone 4S left me

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

4 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

meh, still wouldn't buy an iPhone after the awful taste the iPhone 4S left me

You’re still on about the iPhone 4s? What about it dude? That phone became obsolete very quickly just like every other phone from that era. The hardware was just too weak to run modern software. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

I think he implied it was his experience when it was current...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

5 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

I think he implied it was his experience when it was current...

Kinda hard to believe if you ask me. Also the 4s was 9 years ago.....that’s a bit of a long grudge. 

47 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

You’re still on about the iPhone 4s? What about it dude? That phone became obsolete very quickly just like every other phone from that era. The hardware was just too weak to run modern software. 

Apple released three software updates that the phone clearly couldn't handle and consequently made my phone, and the experience of dealing with it, worst.

So yeah, it left a sour taste, sour enough to push toward WP with the Lumia 920 to finally end up on Android with the Galaxy Note 2. 

iOS7, 8 and 9 were cancer for the 4S

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

15 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Apple released three software updates that the phone clearly couldn't handle and consequently made my phone, and the experience of dealing with it, worst.

So yeah, it left a sour taste, sour enough to push toward WP with the Lumia 920 to finally end up on Android with the Galaxy Note 2. 

That kind of thing can happen on any platform. 

I had an ASUS Transformer TF-101 original gen tablet - after subsequent Android updates (ICS I think, but I’m fuzzy on the specifics), it ran worse and worse. 

Additionally, certain apps eventually became unusable (such as Skype). The thing just didn’t have the processing power to deal with the increased requirements of the newer OS and apps. 

iOS has come a long way. I too went Windows Phone, and I’m glad I went iOS after. My 6s and now XR have been stellar phones. We still have the 6s - I gave it to my fiancée. It’s still plenty fast and handles basically any app no problem. Even 5s’s are still kicking around with minimal issues. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

20 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

It's really, really different now.  Apple has made a point of improving performance on older phones, and the evolution of the hardware itself has made performance more acceptable.  My parents' iPhone 6 units were still performing well right up until they got the iPhone 11 (so they could stay current) this fall.

On 12/24/2019 at 8:44 PM, DrMacintosh said:

It would appear that the iPhone XR (launched Q4 2018) has managed to snag the title of the most sold smartphone in Q3 2019, putting it as the best-selling smartphone of fiscal quarter 2019 so far.

The measure of success of any publicly traded company is how much profits they bring in.

First you claimed the iPhone is more successful. Then when someone else pointed out that this is only by dollars, not numbers, you moved the goalposts and started claiming that it's about Apple providing more shareholder value. Using your logic, CHIPOTLE makes better phones than Apple. Since Chipotle makes burritos, not smart phones, clearly stock market performance is unrelated to phone quality. Argumentum ad absurdum.

By all means brag about iPhone quality. By all means brag about Apple's price-gouging leading to huge profits. Just don't fool yourself into thinking this actually matters. Shareholders would buy stock in pickled baby hearts and virgin blood if it made them money. The quality of the product is irrelevant.

1 minute ago, SpammyMcFilterson said:

First you claimed the iPhone is more successful. Then when someone else pointed out that this is only by dollars, not numbers,

Being more successful by dollars kinda inherently trumps being successful by numbers in a profit driven, capitalist society. Does it not? 

3 minutes ago, SpammyMcFilterson said:

Using your logic, CHIPOTLE makes better phones than Apple. Since Chipotle makes burritos, not smart phones, clearly stock market performance is unrelated to phone quality. Argumentum ad absurdum.

Also, I'm pretty sure this doesn't make any sense.