iPhone XR STILL the best selling phone of 2019

DrMacintosh
8 minutes ago, niofalpha said:

How can people lack self awareness *THIS* Hard?

*slow clap*

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

21 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

The X and 11 do not.

Actually the 11 does have pretty colors. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

Actually the 11 does have pretty colors. 

Huh, so it does.

That's neat.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

9 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Can't believe there are so many people still buying this phone (the XR)... Its screen may be "bright and vivid", but it's IPS and has an embarassingly low resolution so there's that. I'd gladly pick an older X just for the OLED.

In my area the XR still costs a bit more than the OnePlus 7T Pro and it's quite clear which phone is a better one considering the specs, or pretty much everything else.

People keep whining about resolution and the fact it's LCD and I'm using it and just couldn't care. I've had 1080p before and it's the same shit. I always got less battery life from 1080p without having ANY benefit from it. But everyone is obsessed with stupid meaningless ppi numbers and hyping who has a bigger dick, I mean screen. When you really need to squint hard to notice mild difference in sharpness and even that only with text and only when comparing side by side. If done with one divice at a time you can't even tell. And for the fact it's LCD, I also just can't give a damn about that fact. I've had SuperAMOLED's before and I can't understand this endless whining and hyping. So the blacks are not absolutely black because there is tiny bit of light bleeding like with every LCD. It's still a very good LCD. One of the best in terms of color accuracy in fact.

And funniest thing of all is that people who are the loudest about its "low" resolution and display type are those who have never ever even seen or used it, they just look at GSMArena specifications and then bitch about it day after day. One thing are specs on paper and another how it looks and how it's usable. And there is literally nothing wrong or bad you can say about XR's display.

What bothers me more are idiotic aspect ratios. When it used to be real 720p and 1080p everything fit there pixel by pixel in 16:9 ratio exactly. Now we have some bizarre resolutions with weird aspect ratios so you always get idiotic black bars with basically all videos. That's what's really super annoying but seems to bother no one coz everyone's too busy whining over ppi...

8 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

People keep whining about resolution and the fact it's LCD and I'm using it and just couldn't care.

I'll only respond to this part because it's clearly pointless to say anything else:

It's not that the display it's bad. It's that you could've gotten a better one for less money. Just because you don't seem to care or see the difference, doesn't mean everyone else feels the same way. I brought up the 7T Pro because of it's stunning display for a lower price, at least in my area.
And yeah, aspect ratios have gotten weirder and weirder these days but not only more content is being made for them as I've noticed, even on services like YouTube or Netflix but you're also not cutting an irregular part of your screen due to the notch on the iPhone.

I've played with both the XR and the non-T OnePlus 7 Pro and there's really no comparison in terms of display, cameras, perceived smoothness of usage and the super-quick in-screen fingerprint reader compared to the FaceID.

You can't really argue in favor of XR's display when compared to the 7T Pro's, that's why you didn't actually do that and it's kind of obvious why :P
Fluid AMOLED vs IPS

QHD+ vs whatever weird resolution Apple used
90Hz vs 60Hz
Notchless vs a big-ass notch
HDR 10+ vs dithering used to imitate HDR (aka not true HDR)

Hmmm... :P

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Clearly you haven't used FaceID with iOS 13 yet. It's so fast it takes longer to lift the phone to look at the screen than it takes for it to unlock it...

10 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

I was just surprised to see that Apple did that again but mainly with a phone that's already a year old. It's impressive. 

When the most expensive Apple products don't cost much more to manufacture than the lower end counterparts...and with the price differences...you really shouldn't be. Pretty much all large companies (competitors or otherwise) use the same strategy. Though not to the same degree as Apple (few have a loyal enough customer base).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

If I wanted to buy an iPhone (which let's be clear I don't!), I would probably go with the XR for the following reasons:

looks - it's by far the best looking iPhone, even with the thicc bezels. I really liked the look of the X, if the 11 had the same design as the X rather than just removing a camera from the 11 Pro and leaving an awkward blank space it would have looked 10x better

Colours - the colours available on the XR are much nicer than the colours available on the 11, green is nice, but blue is better!

Price - I don't like spending money, and it's the cheapest iPhone that's worth buying. Sure the 8 is cheaper, but come on, that thing's screen to body ratio is almost as low as *insert politician here*'s approval rating

Oh, and most importantly, it's a last gen phone! All the issues will have been fixed by now, more accessories will be available (and at a lower price), I'd probably be able to get one fairly cheap second hand (by Apple standards)

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

10 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

The rumored iPhone SE 2 was said to retain the same screen size (4.7”)  and resolution (326 ppi) of the regular iPhone 6s/7/8 but with the same A13 Bionic and same primary camera as the iPhone 11. Will probably launch the same time as WWDC 2020.

The phone that was rumoured last year? And the year before than. And iirc the year before that?

Where, in America? KEKW

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

4 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

When the most expensive Apple products don't cost much more to manufacture than the lower end counterparts...and with the price differences...you really shouldn't be. Pretty much all large companies (competitors or otherwise) use the same strategy. Though not to the same degree as Apple (few have a loyal enough customer base).

That's not really true.

https://www.nbcnews.com/now/video/how-much-does-it-cost-to-make-an-iphone-11-70289989901

That excludes R&D, shipping, advertising, etc. Not to mention the additional R&D behind their own processor design.

While iPhones are expensive flagships, they're not really any more overpriced than than Android flagships.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

how is Samsung M30 and M30S not listed there? is it not counting outside of USA or something? 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

33 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

That's not really true.

https://www.nbcnews.com/now/video/how-much-does-it-cost-to-make-an-iphone-11-70289989901

That excludes R&D, shipping, advertising, etc. Not to mention the additional R&D behind their own processor design.

While iPhones are an expensive flagships, they're not really any more overpriced than than Android flagships.

When you factor in everything, they really aren't (or at least not any more than competition). iPhone have had their chipsets whole level above everyone else for several years and the fact every single iPhone receives around 5 years of guaranteed software updates that are timely released unlike Androids fuckery, they all of a sudden aren't that expensive. Long term software support and timely updates cost money. Plus, iPhone XR being such commercial success and having such popularity, Apple will treat it more carefully and for longer because a lot of users depend on it. Which is in the end another benefit for consumers. Where most Androids, they cut you off at first possible chance with some dumb excuse and that's the end of it.

35 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

how is Samsung M30 and M30S not listed there? is it not counting outside of USA or something? 

This has to be counting USA only, but looking at other best selling phone lists Samsung is still on top with more phones.

In Europe, Samsung and Xiaomi are the best sellers.

For the people arguing about R&D, wow Apple must be spending a lot of that on marketing, because their R&D towards design is pretty stagnant with that huge notch they've had since the X.

5 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

This has to be counting USA only, but looking at other best selling phone lists Samsung is still on top with more phones.

In Europe, Samsung and Xiaomi are the best sellers.

For the people arguing about R&D, wow Apple must be spending a lot of that on marketing, because their R&D towards design is pretty stagnant with that huge notch they've had since the X.

And yet a YEAR OLD chipset still beats ALL current gen chips from competition. And their A13 is like a whole level above the rest before they even caught up to the old one. Dismissing that would be pretty silly especially since it plays a huge role in combination with long term software support. Developing a chipset that is so far ahead of the rest costs huge amounts of money. That notch, while "old" looking, it's functional. FaceID is awesome and screen space is freed by having signal and battery in those cut corners. No less stupid than silly rotating cameras and shit. Fun to look at as a method or solution to a "problem", but really a liability for reliability. Then again Android phones are not expected to last since they cut software support really soon anyway so not all that shocking.

5 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Clearly you haven't used FaceID with iOS 13 yet. It's so fast it takes longer to lift the phone to look at the screen than it takes for it to unlock it...

Honestly it’s so much better than TouchID.  For filling out passwords on Safari, like logging into gmail etc, it’s a huge breeze over TouchID.

16 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

It's almost like their prices do not reflect their production costs in any way and their margins are so high that they can get the majority of the market's profits despite only having less than 10% of the total marketshare! Imagine that!

15 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Edit: Also, Geekbench - ugh...

I heard GB4 is better than previous iterations but yeah... I'd take that with a grain of salt.

15 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Can't believe there are so many people still buying this phone (the XR)... Its screen may be "bright and vivid", but it's IPS and has an embarassingly low resolution so there's that. I'd gladly pick an older X just for the OLED.

I mean... my OPX is 4 years old and even it has a 1080p OLED screen, and that only cost me 270 bucks in 2015. At this point that should be the bare minimum even in sub $200 devices. And yet here we are with $600 phones not even managing that.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 hour ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

Counterpoint says "globally," so this should be worldwide.

There are some important things to consider here.  Samsung has a ton of models -- the fact that you mentioned two M30 variants shows how fine-grained the lineup is.  That's great for selection, but it also means that it's harder for any one phone to have a ton of sales.  Apple's lineup circa the end of 2019 boils down to six models.

The other (and possibly more important) factor: Samsung is not as dominant in the budget phone space as you might think. That frequently goes to Chinese vendors like Huawei/Honor, Xiaomi and BBK's various brands.  Samsung certainly has a strong foothold in that market, but it has struggled to compete against the Chinese in some countries (and not just China).

33 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Counterpoint says "globally," so this should be worldwide.

yeah highly doubt the A series is out performing the M Series. if you live here, you'd know almost no one is buying the A series and option for the cheaper 6000Mah M series phones. you gotta take into account India's population that's buying phones compared to USA is way higher.  

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

16 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

In my area the XR still costs a bit more than the OnePlus 7T Pro and it's quite clear which phone is a better one considering the specs, or pretty much everything else.

iPhone XR owner here. Replaced my 6s. Don’t regret my purchase for even a moment. 

The screen is easily high enough resolution even for watching videos, etc. And the quality is quite nice. 

Since I prefer iOS over Android, it’s a no brainer. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

iPhone XR owner here. Replaced my 6s. Don’t regret my purchase for even a moment. 

The screen is easily high enough resolution even for watching videos, etc. And the quality is quite nice. 

Since I prefer iOS over Android, it’s a no brainer. 

I agree, it's better than most other options in the price range, but there are some that are vastly superior to the XR in that department. And for me, it's a good-enough reason not to buy it ;)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

It’s funny how what everyone mentions are basically the XR / 11 screen and doesn’t mention how

1. XR and 11 has the best camera in the price range for BOTH photos and videos BY MILES AWAY
  2. Living in iOS ecosystem means you are not living the 2nd degree tech citizen in terms of app release and optimization
  3. Have I mentioned iOS and how the fact that normal customer stays with what they are comfortable and think it works for them?
  4. Buying almost any apple product means you are buying the product and the support for years ahead. Have fun servicing your android phone when shit hits the bed. I’ll just make my apple store appointment and let them deal with it
  5. I thought you guys are power user how are you willing to use a phone that doesn’t get updated with new OS on day one?

My sister has note 9 while i have XS max that we bought around the same time. My sister already wants to ditch the phone because the usb-c port shits itself and the camera app lags in terms of shutter speed. I’m on holiday and i can lean on this phone to take great pictures and videos while she can’t and both are over $1K

all you knuckleheads do are look at some spec sheet in the internet and whine about it. Big youtubers like Austin and Sarah has ACTUALLY USED IT and actually preferred to use them daily. They can use the $1000 note 9 at the time but they used the $700 IPS iPhone

I have no hate for android phones because they obviously have their plus but it’s idiotic to only see iPhone XR based on its screen specs only

These lists means absolutely nothing in a saturated market.   We don't know why people bought these phones.  It isn't something I would be claiing is a good thing if people are buying the XR because their last phone died early and they are locked into apple. 

Also new phone sales should be plateauing,  Especially in first world countries.  If they are not then it is because people are upgrading too soon, which means they either feel they have to have the latest or the phone they did have was obsoleted way to early for the technology we have available to us.   And this has nothing to do with brand, it's a brand agnostic issue.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I came to iPhone XR after owning Androids since Eclair (alphabetically, very beginning of Android basically) on HTC Wildfire and I'm actually liking iOS more. Despite few its idiocies. It's easier to dismiss few annoyances when core of the ecosystem works so well. Where with Android, it's the opposite. What good is all the flexibility, customization and endless custom ROM's when it's all just crap.

6 hours ago, Vitamanic said:

That's not really true.

While iPhones are expensive flagships, they're not really any more overpriced than than Android flagships.

Profit is what you're left with after accounting for expenses (eg R&D)...and in 1 generation (eg iPhone X) the R&D overlap will be quite high, so either way the actual cost-of-manufacture between each model of the X is going to be very low, and Apple will be making the most off high-end sales.
You're also ignoring spec changes (eg Storage and connectivity). You can see what I mean especially easily with Macbooks due to how much extra is charged for increased storage and RAM.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL