How Do I Tell My Parent Why I Need To Upgrade

Zyb3rWolfi
4 minutes ago, Founders said:

Perhaps he's just trying to take an interest in what interests you, if that's the case he sounds like he may be a good guy. There's no blood there and I get that but it works both ways and it's true what they say, communication is key. We can probably help you out with tech related issues but life related hurdles are a little more difficult on a forum. Just try talking to him.    

Maybe ur right

Lel

SSDs are really cheap now, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K8A2A0E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

if you can do some chores or even sell something you dont want any more to get $35 bucks. You will get a better speed boost to your system than almost any other part you are replacing. the mechanical HDD is a big bottle neck. I've kept a core 2 Quad system running by upgrading it to a SSD and a Geforce 560ti. It can play fortnite just fine, and plays destiny 2 almost lag free.  I remember being your age, I mowed my grandpa's yard every week all summer so he would buy me my first PC. my dad was like your step dad, didnt understand why I wanted a computer, we had a type writer, and a playstation. What more did I need? lol 

48 minutes ago, AntDeGamer said:

The reasons i need this upgrade is;

Better speed - Less Lockups doing OPS

Video production

I code, so need a fast machine to do that

And do school projects next year.

Expand these out.... good points to be made if you expand on them as explanations to why it's super feasible for you to upgrade.

The ease of use aspects, the production value of a PC...

Don't mention games, but obviously you can play them... maybe on a casual weekend get the step dad playing something casually fun or actually hard.. (showing a skill ceiling is there, that's why people want to learn, be better and have faster machines for ease of use)

He might like a game of World of Tanks or something that MIGHT interest him casually.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Coding:

most code done in school or projects can be complied in seconds. You dont need a CPU upgrade for coding projects.

Video production

performance would be increased in most cases better with a GPU. Most GPU will accelerate video encoding and can have the biggest impact on rendering times. Regardless, unless you are a company paying your employees money... an argument could be made you can wait a few extra hours

Better speed - Less Lockups doing OPS

if your computer is locking up it has an issue. upgrading components isnt the best solution and may not solve the issue if you dont figure out the root cause.

I am sorry but your parent may be right based on what you said it is probably fine for what you have. 

You should also consider, that he may not have the money and can afford everything you want

Its easy to see what others have, and want that.

when your older you will see your parents are just trying to do their best.

im confused.....why do you feel you need to upgrade your ryzen 2600?

You mentioned a few things that a 2600 should be doing just fine with.

2 hours ago, AntDeGamer said:

So Right, I Already Got Mine Amd Ryzen 5 2600x

that is all you need for a cpu

what else do you require?

21 minutes ago, tech.guru said:

You should also consider, that he may not have the money and can afford everything you want

Its easy to see what others have, and want that.

when your older you will see your parents are just trying to do their best.

I get the points you make but the OP In question...Dudes using his own money.

Yea, parents obviously are still a factor at the OPs age.

But maybe you missed reading that far back..

Worth mentioning.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

9 hours ago, RonnieOP said:

im confused.....why do you feel you need to upgrade your ryzen 2600?

You mentioned a few things that a 2600 should be doing just fine with.

I have a Intel core 2 duo and i bought the 2600x

Lel

4 hours ago, AntDeGamer said:

I have a Intel core 2 duo and i bought the 2600x

So im now really confused.

So you already bought the parts with your own money?

If so then its already done right? You dont need to have a convo with your parents.

15 hours ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

I get the points you make but the OP In question...Dudes using his own money.

Doesn't matter. If your parents do not allow you then you aren't getting one just like if your parents do not allow you to attend a party then you are not attending. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

8 minutes ago, wasab said:

Doesn't matter. If your parents do not allow you then you aren't getting one just like if your parents do not allow you to attend a party then you are not attending. 

So by your logic, let's say OP is going on a business trip and his parents won't let him, he has to stay home. Or his parents tell him to jump off a bridge, he has to because, they are his parents and he always have to listen to them, as they are always right.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

16 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

So by your logic, let's say OP is going on a business trip and his parents won't let him, he has to stay home.

I was raised in a culture with strong sense Confucian filial piety and that is excatly what is expected. But let's take away the cultural and custom aspects and look at this from the legal perspective. I live in New York and the local laws here are that as a minor, your parents have the right to deny you from taking a job, the right to deny you to associate with someone, and the right to go somewhere. That is true regardless until a minor is of legal age to Emancipate himself AND recieve no more financial  assistance from their parents. 

16 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Or his parents tell him to jump off a bridge, he has to because, they are his parents and he always have to listen to them, as they are always right.

You are just being melodramatic. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

51 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

So by your logic, let's say OP is going on a business trip and his parents won't let him, he has to stay home. Or his parents tell him to jump off a bridge, he has to because, they are his parents and he always have to listen to them, as they are always right.

Heh.  Two different examples which are not the same.  One is a clear and present danger to life and the other isn’t.  Second example has a “always” stipulation on the end as well.  The word “always” tends to be attached to BS in my experience.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Well obv your parents cant make you kill yourself.....dont know what you are getting at there.

But depending on the laws in his country. Yes his parents have a say in what he does even with his own money. 

My daughters can get a job and buy a laptop. I can legally take that laptop away from them if i wanted. Like if i grounded them or something.

So yes if hes 13 and wants to go on a business trip (how that happens idk...) And his parents say no then no hes not going lol.

You may want to reconsider your step dads view here. He seems like he doesn't give a damn about computers, but it can be a good thing for geeks like us to get out of our bubble every once in a while and deal with people from the ordinary world. Try to see the bigger picture here; perhaps the value of a faster computer isn't as big as you think.

I can totally get the excitement of buying new parts and building PCs, but at the end of the day it's just another computer and well, you know...  you get used to it.

Try to see a computer more as a tool; is the computer you have the right tool for the job?

If it isn't, you can consider an upgrade, (a sensible one, to make it the right tool, not to make it completely overkill, which is what a ryzen 2600x appears to be for you) 

If it is, then leave it unchanged. (however boring that may be)

One important thing here, is that the question "is it the right tool for the job?" isn't the same as "how can I justify spending money on this?". 

Try not to be bothered by you step dad too much, but do consider that what he says may not be complete BS and try to think about it from another perspective.

if the computer still works you don't "need" to upgrade. and when talking to your parents dont say need otherwise they will come back with exactly what i said "well it still works"

Keep it along the lines of you "want" to upgrade since the computer is starting to show it's age and is slowing down.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 minute ago, Caroline said:

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

That it's finally time to take over the world?

yes.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Did OP buy JUST a CPU and now he needs the rest of the compatible parts? I'm confused. I can certainly understand that if you have a working computer and someone who doesn't know the differences between different PC parts might not comprehend that you can't put that CPU in your current PC.

Maybe if you explained or presented it in such a way that he would understand, is he into cars?

22 hours ago, AntDeGamer said:

Im like 13 and 14 in 5 months, also getting an ssd next year.

Just a lille fact my stepdad mostly just likes to annoy the hck out of me. 

The reasons i need this upgrade is;

Better speed

Video recording

I code so need a fast machine to do that

Game

And do school projects next year.

From someone that has a step kid of his own...

From my perspective I am a little critical of him probably more so than I need to be, but I also see how the world is trying to keep these kids coddled. I have been more a part of his life than his recently deceased dad and I am also trying to fix some of those bad things he has inherited from him.

So from a kids perspective YES I probably annoy the shit out of him. In a decade though when he has kids of his own he will appreciate the crap I put him through.

Maybe just maybe instead of thinking he is ignorant or w/e you should sit down and explain to him why you feel you need this. Sure you probably get way too much screen time and play more videos games than he likes, but you can also show him the benefits outside of gaming it serves. 

Do you want to get his backing? Code something fun or show him some examples of some of the things you have written. You might just get him on board. 

The truth is being a step-parent can be a thankless job. We aren't your true blood parent, but need to be a good role-model and make sure you are raised right always wondering if we are stepping on the other parents shoes. We also are putting out for you guys financially (which we don't mind), but then we also get your attitude with the assumption you know more than we do or that we weren't also kids ourselves once.

So how about trying to talk to him. As it stands now without you two talking neither hand knows what the other is really doing or thinking and you just assume shit.

1 minute ago, Caroline said:

No no,

you're right, we're not ready for that.....yet.

what if the computer has an infortunate accident? not suggesting anything but WHAT IF

Not something i would advace for, certainly,

but if i did i would go with the classic

"i don't know what happened, i woke up and all the pins on my CPU were bent, the RAM was snapped in half and the motherboard was scored with some kind of large blade"

that kind of stuff always just happens while you sleep and is $100% believable. 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

This is starting to smell like evil.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

28 minutes ago, Arika S said:

you're right, we're not ready for that.....yet.

Not something i would advace for, certainly,

but if i did i would go with the classic

"i don't know what happened, i woke up and all the pins on my CPU were bent, the RAM was snapped in half and the motherboard was scored with some kind of large blade"

that kind of stuff always just happens while you sleep and is $100% believable. 

If my kid did that they would have a nice long break between PCs. Coming to me about it is one thing, trying to manipulate it so you think I don't have a choice? Not sure you will like the outcome.

...so eventually the CPU, motherboard, RAM, and SSD is being replaced?  If it is replacing a Duo as well, then I assume the eventual replacing of the case to get access to things such as USB 3.0....I might be inclined to agree with your step-dad in getting a new rig instead.

Out of curiosity, were you the one who originally chose the specs for your current rig as well?

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef