GTX 1070 Strix in 2019,still worth buying?

frozensun

Hey dear friends,

I could afford one,used with 6 months warranty period for 220 euros.

Yeah sounds a lot,but that's the price.

Sadly I bought recently 1440p monitor,and looking at performance of this card at 1440p correct me if I am wrong but it would be waste of money for 1440p at around 60 fps,huh?

As it struggles in Metro Exodus,Assasins Creed Odyssay,Shadow of the Tomb Raider...

I mean I can play games at 40-50 fps,don't need exact 60 but I really ain't so sure if this card is capable of at least 40 fps in future titles...

So I need your opinion.

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

2 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Hey dear friends,

Sadly I bought recently 1440p monitor,and looking at performance of this card at 1440p correct me if I am wrong but it would be waste of money for 1440p at around 60 fps,huh?

As it struggles in Metro Exodus,Assasins Creed Odyssay,Shadow of the Tomb Raider...

I mean I can play games at 40-50 fps,don't need exact 60 but I really ain't so sure if this card is capable of at least 40 fps in future titles...

So I need your opinion.

Well, the 1070 is pretty good still, its strix model, so pretty high end model too. 

I would get that

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

How much is the GTX 1660 Ti and the RX 5700 in there? those are the closer to the GTX 1070 performance wise so it's price has to be competitive against those.

It only depends if you're going to ULTRA MAX SETTINGS!!1 or if you're fine adjusting your graphical settings... watch this video below and understand you can boost your fps a lot by fine tuning the settings to where a GTX 1070 can still be adequate at 1440p.

You only need to know what to expect.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

How much is the GTX 1660 Ti and the RX 5700 in there? those are the closer to the GTX 1070 performance wise so it's price has to be competitive against those.

It only depends if you're going to ULTRA MAX SETTINGS!!1 or if you're fine adjusting your graphical settings... watch this video below and understand you can boost your fps a lot by fine tuning the settings to where a GTX 1070 can still be adequate at 1440p.

You only need to know what to expect.

1660 Ti and RX 5700 are faster cards,I have 1660 Ti as I previously stated in my threads,but still haven't opened the box.

Why?It's because I purchase this 1440p model,and I have 2 computers so I dunno I meant to sell this R9 390 for just 110 euros and put there 1660 Ti and in second computer GTX 1070.

RX 5700 cheapest model is 410 euros (not reference).

I still ain't sure either to sell GTX 1660 Ti or use it at 1440p.I need to decide because I can't sell opened box and card as new if I open the box.

The perfect choice would be 1070 Ti,which is card I am aiming to,but none sells it here...

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

42 minutes ago, frozensun said:

1660 Ti and RX 5700 are faster cards,I have 1660 Ti as I previously stated in my threads,but still haven't opened the box.

Why?It's because I purchase this 1440p model,and I have 2 computers so I dunno I meant to sell this R9 390 for just 110 euros and put there 1660 Ti and in second computer GTX 1070.

RX 5700 cheapest model is 410 euros (not reference).

I still ain't sure either to sell GTX 1660 Ti or use it at 1440p.I need to decide because I can't sell opened box and card as new if I open the box.

The perfect choice would be 1070 Ti,which is card I am aiming to,but none sells it here...

As far as I've seen benchmarks 1660Ti is in margin of error of GTX 1070. 

I can't find the reason not to use it. (Maybe I misread the post.)

You could sell it for a bit more as it's brand new and buy 1070?

I bought mine (used) for about 160€ in the summer. Computer parts tend to gain price in the autums, and lower in the spring/summer.

I edit my posts more often than not

2 hours ago, Tan3l6 said:

As far as I've seen benchmarks 1660Ti is in margin of error of GTX 1070. 

I can't find the reason not to use it. (Maybe I misread the post.)

You could sell it for a bit more as it's brand new and buy 1070?

I bought mine (used) for about 160€ in the summer. Computer parts tend to gain price in the autums, and lower in the spring/summer.

Wouldn't agree on that one.I know when then announced 1660 Ti  that were said it will be faster then 1070,not much but it is faster.

As far as I can remember in most games it is because games favour faster VRAM and clock speed.
And 1660 Ti Strix OC version easily gets 2GHz that is why I bought that model.

3 hours ago, Princess Luna said:

Sadly that's not the case in euroland,  you're going to pay 8GB RAM tax big time,  new 1070 cost €500 *upwards*  :(

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

Sadly that's not the case in euroland,  you're going to pay 8GB RAM tax big time,  new 1070 cost €500 *upwards*  :(

I don't know if they even sell new 1070 because those cards are not manufactured anymore...correct me if I am wrong.

Totally agree,just checked the pricing in Serbia,used models selling for 250 euros which is a lot really.

1070 card is 3 years old...

3 hours ago, frozensun said:

Hey dear friends,

So I need your opinion.

Hi!

I bought mine, although not a strix versions, also used 3 months ago. I paid 200 euro's for it. I think since we are 3 months further again and some small price reductions have happened on the 1660 cards, a fair price would be around 175. I'd say try to aim for a Ti version of the 1070 instead. They don't cost a whole lot more on the used market, yet are very close to 1080 performance.

1 minute ago, Turbof1 said:

Hi!

I bought mine, although not a strix versions, also used 3 months ago. I paid 200 euro's for it. I think since we are 3 months further again and some small price reductions have happened on the 1660 cards, a fair price would be around 175. I'd say try to aim for a Ti version of the 1070 instead. They don't cost a whole lot more on the used market, yet are very close to 1080 performance.

300 euros here for Ti version,no warranty...
How the hell you paid 200 eur for 1660 Ti,no way,which model?

1 minute ago, frozensun said:

300 euros here for Ti version,no warranty...
How the hell you paid 200 eur for 1660 Ti,no way,which model?

Nono, I paid 200 euro's for the 1070. Asus OC dual. I think I misread somewhere you were eyeing a 1070 strix model.

Just now, Turbof1 said:

Nono, I paid 200 euro's for the 1070. Asus OC dual

oh, so 1070 strix is worth 220 euros?

17 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Wouldn't agree on that one.I know when then announced 1660 Ti  that were said it will be faster then 1070,not much but it is faster.

As far as I can remember in most games it is because games favour faster VRAM and clock speed.
And 1660 Ti Strix OC version easily gets 2GHz that is why I bought that model.

Here's another one, 1070 a bit faster than 1660 Ti even - https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-04-15-gtx-1660-ti-vs-gtx-1070-7001

@frozensun

I edit my posts more often than not

oh, so 1070 strix is worth 220 euros?

Not in my opinion, no. I mean, it might also depend on the local market (I bought mine in Belgium) because I do know prices tend to fluctuate from euro land to euro land, but a fairer price would be 175. Even for a strix model.

The 1660 Ti is a liiiitttlllleeee bit faster. Just a tad. I doubt you'll see that in gaming, but vram dependent programs you might actually see tangible improvements. It depends, but overall they are in the same realm and should be treated as such.

5 minutes ago, frozensun said:

I don't know if they even sell new 1070 because those cards are not manufactured anymore...correct me if I am wrong.

Totally agree,just checked the pricing in Serbia,used models selling for 250 euros which is a lot really.

1070 card is 3 years old...

Yeah, I said *new* tho 

:(:(:(  

Screenshot_2019-12-09-18-54-39.thumb.png.bf5d07c5301075588f02c01dcc8f4d88.png

This only happens because there's no 1660 8GB cards,  if there was 1070 (non ti mind you lol) would be a lot cheaper... 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Yeah, I said *new* tho 

:(:(:(  

Screenshot_2019-12-09-18-54-39.thumb.png.bf5d07c5301075588f02c01dcc8f4d88.png

This only happens because there's no 1660 8GB cards,  if there was 1070 (non ti mind you lol) would be a lot cheaper... 

To be fair, any previous generation unused cards are still being sold at the prices they peaked at. They never went down. And those prices are really rediculous. Just buy them used; they'll last very long if taken care well.

5 minutes ago, frozensun said:

1070 strix is worth 220 euros?

Imo definitely because it's not even half price of new *and*  you get 6 months warranty?  That's a lottery win basically! 

It's a rip off objectively but your probably not going to find a cheaper one *especially with warranty*

If aren't going to buy it pm me the link because I *will*  ?

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I thought NVidia doesn't produce those cards anymore.

Me personally I wouldn't give more then 200 euros for this card,I mean add precisely 50 euros more and there you have 1660 super which I saw the reviews is very close to 1070 depending on the game.

Imo definitely because it's not even half price of new *and*  you get 6 months warranty?  That's a lottery win basically! 

It's a rip off objectively but your probably not going to find a cheaper one *especially with warranty*

there is a trick.Seller sells 11 of those cards so one thing comes to my mind,and that is from the place of purchase and quantity I know that these cards he sells are probably (I'm like 90 % sure) used for mining.

4 minutes ago, Turbof1 said:

To be fair, any previous generation unused cards are still being sold at the prices they peaked at. They never went down. And those prices are really rediculous. Just buy them used; they'll last very long if taken care well.

But what kind of people buy this?   A 2060S or 5700XT are *cheaper* and ~35% *faster* lol.  It's ridiculous, no two ways around it. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Don't judge it on new prices. They are heavily overpriced vs newer comparable cards. 450-600 euro's is a very bad reflection of the actual value of the card. I'd say 220 is overpriced. I just took a look on the used markets I usually use, and you can get a Ti version already for 265 euro's:

https://www.marktplaats.nl/a/computers-en-software/videokaarten/m1493860425-gigabyte-gtx-1070ti-gaming.html?c=08c285449651fa109c354bbabe740c1b&previousPage=lr

Also 3 month guarantee. I bet you can haggle that down to 235 and pay like 10-15 euro's for shipping.

But what kind of people buy this?   A 2060S or 5700XT are *cheaper* and ~35% *faster* lol.  It's ridiculous, no two ways around it. 

That's why you buy previous generation cards used ?

14 minutes ago, Turbof1 said:

Don't judge it on new prices. They are heavily overpriced vs newer comparable cards. 450-600 euro's is a very bad reflection of the actual value of the card. I'd say 220 is overpriced. I just took a look on the used markets I usually use, and you can get a Ti version already for 265 euro's:

https://www.marktplaats.nl/a/computers-en-software/videokaarten/m1493860425-gigabyte-gtx-1070ti-gaming.html?c=08c285449651fa109c354bbabe740c1b&previousPage=lr

Also 3 month guarantee. I bet you can haggle that down to 235 and pay like 10-15 euro's for shipping.

Yeah, that's looks like a good deal,  sadly almost everything I find on German eBay looks like scam and usually there's no warranty and usually no buyer protection either and you can't even buy with PayPal... 

Maybe I just suck finding good deals,  but yeah... 

BTW I just tried to buy this card but there's no "buy" button lol :/

(also idk if there's any buyer protection) 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Mark,for 1080p?

7 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Yeah, that's looks like a good deal,  sadly almost everything I find on German eBay looks like scam and usually there's no warranty and usually no buyer protection  and you can't even buy with PayPal... 

Maybe I just suck finding good deals,  but yeah... 

BTW I just tried to buy this card but there's no "buy" button lol :/

(also idk if there's any buyer protection) 

It's a dutch used marketplace. In order to contact the seller, you'll have to create an account. Then press the big blue button with "bericht" in it and send a message to the seller.

In this case the seller looks clean. The site verified his account, his telephone number and his ID. He is active on the marketplace for a while and has a 4/5 overall rating based on 14 sales. So you are good on that.

From my own experience, I doubt you'll get the chance to pay with paypal. You can ask of course. Do know, all risk is on you. There's no buyer protection! And if you plan to look further on that website, be very aware because there are scammers there!

Also do not forget should you be buying from outside the EU, there might be import costs involved.