GTX 1070 Strix in 2019,still worth buying?

frozensun
6 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Mark,for 1080p?

I don't really care for resolution, 1080 is fine,  but I need 8GB minimum and I *do* care about 60FPS... 

Cheapest card new I could get is kfa 2060s.  But that's a kfa lol... 

And 400 euros... 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

6 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

I don't really care for resolution, 1080 is fine,  but I need 8GB minimum and I *do* care about 60FPS... 

Cheapest card new I could get is kfa 2060s.  But that's a kfa lol... 

And 400 euros... 

why do you insist on 8 Gigs of VRAM? Esp with 1080p display.

A 1660ti or 2060 (non-sup) is well worth getting on the 2nd hand market. In my country, around ~250 euro will get you a 2060 with 2.5years of warranty. On the other hand, Pascal gpu-s are overpriced ridiculously on the market ? And I believe, Turing cards will get better driver support&optimization from Invidia in the forthcoming months..

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

14 minutes ago, Vejnemojnen said:

A 1660ti or 2060 (non-sup) is well worth getting on the 2nd hand market. In my country, around ~250 euro will get you a 2060 with 2.5years of warranty. On the other hand, Pascal gpu-s are overpriced ridiculously on the market ? And I believe, Turing cards will get better driver support&optimization from Invidia in the forthcoming months..

250 eur for rtx 2060?

Really?

In which country are you,is the tax included?

Thats even cheaper then in USA.

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

17 minutes ago, Vejnemojnen said:

Because I already have 6GB and it's not enough in 2019, and certainly won't be in the future. I'd like to play my games maxed out or at least close,  you know.

2060 would be the only other option, true (I don't like AMD GPUs,  so it's not an option also I need NVENC for recording) 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Just now, frozensun said:

250 eur for rtx 2060?

Really?

Ya, I wanna see that too (with warranty + PayPal buying option obviously) 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 hours ago, frozensun said:

Hey dear friends,

I could afford one,used with 6 months warranty period for 220 euros.

Yeah sounds a lot,but that's the price.

Sadly I bought recently 1440p monitor,and looking at performance of this card at 1440p correct me if I am wrong but it would be waste of money for 1440p at around 60 fps,huh?

As it struggles in Metro Exodus,Assasins Creed Odyssay,Shadow of the Tomb Raider...

I mean I can play games at 40-50 fps,don't need exact 60 but I really ain't so sure if this card is capable of at least 40 fps in future titles...

So I need your opinion.

dont you have the 1660ti that has more cuda cores and a new architecture it will perform better than a 1070

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

8 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

dont you have the 1660ti that has more cuda cores and a new architecture it will perform better than a 1070

yes,but I have 3 computers lol...

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

11 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Ya, I wanna see that too (with warranty + PayPal buying option obviously) 

I told it's 2nd hand market, and not retailer prices. The cheapest 2060 i have seen so far went for 250€ (83k HUF). Virtually, anyone selling turing cards do it for reasonable prices. Whereas old pascals are really not cheaper .

I don't know how on Earth can 1070(ti)  cards without warranty sold for the same prices as 2060/1660ti -s with still 2.5years of warranty left.. Irrational 

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

11 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Kinda doubt this is the case for some games, for example MHW + high res texture pack, at max settings (hint "minimum" requirement  8GB VRAM) 

I'd get a 1660ti immediately if it had 8GB... but alas. 

With 6GB it would only be a side grade and not make much sense -  I'll really have to wait and see if I find a good deal - or save up for a 2060S. 

6 minutes ago, frozensun said:

And they all need a new GPU?   That's gonna get expensive either way!  :D

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

This can go forever spending money,and you were right.

Back in 2016 paid for R9 390 350 euros,now in 2019 I can't find a customer for 130 euros.

Around 2 months ago bought 1660 Ti and planned to stick to 1080p UW,and that card is more then enough.

Then last week I saw good discount on 1440p monitor and got it 3 days ago.

But seems to me,as from watching reviews I need another card more powerful for 1440p, which means more money.. and the point is this can't go like this anymore spending money changing graphics card every 2-3 years...

I will buy PS4 and end this irony....

1 hour ago, TofuHaroto said:

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1660-Ti-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1070/4037vs3609

And that's not even a fair comparison because you'd need to compare 1660ti to 1070ti

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

6 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1660-Ti-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1070/4037vs3609

And that's not even a fair comparison because you'd need to compare 1660ti to 1070ti

To be honest, you don't. Ti is nothing more than a marketing name. It's why people for instance compare a 1070Ti to a normal 1080. The difference is almost none existent.

In the end only 2 things count in gpu land: price and performance.

Now excuse while I run away from the RGB mob trying to lynch me for making that comment.

4 minutes ago, Turbof1 said:

To be honest, you don't. Ti is nothing more than a marketing name. In the end only 2 things count in gpu land: price and performance.

Now excuse while I run away from the RGB mob trying to lynch me for making that comment.

Lol, nah price / performance should only matter to you while choosing a GPU,  but when you "compare"  NV GPUs it does kinda matter because of how they're positioned and it's kind of misleading and disingenuous to compare non ti to ti. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

48 minutes ago, frozensun said:

I will buy PS4 and end this irony....

The real irony is I just sold my PS4, and will use the money towards a new GPU and I also don't plan ever buying another console again. :) I had enough of the bs and they dont really offer *anything* I want.  

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

14 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

yea but he's comparing it to a 1070 i get that thats unfair but the situation here is not taking into consideration the 1070ti

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

1 hour ago, frozensun said:

oh haha...

Build Log: 

9 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Lol, nah price / performance should only matter to you while choosing a GPU,  but when you "compare"  NV GPUs it does kinda matter because of how they're positioned and it's kind of misleading and disingenuous to compare non ti to ti. 

There's nothing misleading to it. I'd even say that the naming "Ti" is misleading because it does not entail a defined performance boost. That is, it is performance boost, but said boost ranges from a very small bit, to a large chunk.

Example: A GTX 1660 Ti is only slightly better than a normal 1660. The only difference is a small core clock speed. The physical difference is probably just down to the Silicon Lottery.

A gtx 1080 vs a gtx 1080 Ti however is big difference, with a lot more clock speed and more memory.

Also, a gtx 1070Ti has been assumed to be a binned gtx 1080.

In short, don't get stuck into comparing only Ti to Ti. Because that Ti can entail just about anything. The best thing to do is finding benchmarks. I use PassMark for this. It is a fairly accurate indicator.

Just now, TofuHaroto said:

yea but he's comparing it to a 1070 i get that thats unfair but the situation here is not taking into consideration the 1070ti

1660ti is still weaker. So.  Of course it is with meager 6GB and also because of how it's positioned in the market,  if you want 8GB / higher end performance you gonna need to buy 2060 minimum sadly. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, Turbof1 said:

1070Ti has been assumed to be a binned gtx 1080.

what?.. a binned 1080 would result in better not close to performance

Build Log: 

what?.. a binned 1080 would result in better not close to performance

I used the wrong word there. the opposite of binned.

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

1660ti is still weaker. So.  Of course it is with meager 6GB and also because of how it's positioned in the market,  if you want 8GB / higher end performance you gonna need to buy 2060 minimum sadly. 

not really take cod for e.g one of the most vram hungry games and it barely uses 5 and half gigs to 6 on highest details 

Build Log: 

not really take cod for e.g one of the most vram hungry games and it barely uses 5 and half gigs to 6 on highest details 

All the video game benchmarks show the 1660Ti being (slightly) better. Since games aren't that much limited by the amount of vram at that level, the benefits come from the much faster vram speed.

If you do something like cad rendering though, the 1070 will probably be better. That's actually where that surplus on vram is useful.

Just now, Turbof1 said:

All the video game benchmarks show the 1660Ti being (slightly) better. Since games aren't that much limited by the amount of vram at that level, the benefits come from the much faster vram speed.

If you do something like cad rendering though, the 1070 will probably be better. That's actually where that surplus on vram is useful.

agree but now days people most likely get the 1070/1660ti for gaming so wouldnt really gain much benefits form those 2 extra gigs of vram 

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

agree but now days people most likely get the 1070/1660ti for gaming so wouldnt really gain much benefits form those 2 extra gigs of vram 

Of course not. I'd still advise getting an used 1070 over a new 1660Ti though to save yourself some money.

2 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Yes, really.  1660ti is weaker than 1070. And 1070ti too of course. 

And COD isn't one of the "most VRAM hungry" games,  not even close. Terrible example, sorry,  also not something I would play. 

(already mentioned MHW,  high textures,  *minimum* requirement 8GB VRAM,  I think Destiny 2 is another where you gonna need easily more than 6 for highest settings)

6GB VRAM is very very bad news in 2019 and going forward,  unless you're ok with lowering settings / unstable FPS. 

My prediction is 90% of the people who buy 1660/ ti will get a new GPU in 1-2 years easily. 

Which may be ok for them,  for me it's simply wasted money.

In the end if someone only plays cheap yearly franchises or battle royale games which are usually designed to run on the most common hardware, that's fine for them,  if you play more demanding games these new low end cards are frankly a joke. 

1 hour ago, frozensun said:

You could also sell 2 and buy a nice and shiny 2060S or better probably! 

Would save you from the slow molasses that is the PS4  ? 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity