GTX 1070 Strix in 2019,still worth buying?

frozensun
9 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Yes, really.  1660ti is weaker than 1070. And 1070ti too of course. 

And COD isn't one of the "most VRAM hungry" games,  not even close. Terrible example, sorry,  also not something I would play. 

(already mentioned MHW,  high textures,  *minimum* requirement 8GB VRAM,  I think Destiny 2 is another where you gonna need easily more than 6 for highest settings)

6GB VRAM is very very bad news in 2019 and going forward,  unless you're ok with lowering settings / unstable FPS. 

My prediction is 90% of the people who buy 1660/ ti will get a new GPU in 1-2 years easily. 

Which may be ok for them,  for me it's simply wasted money.

In the end if someone only plays cheap yearly franchises or battle royale games which are usually designed to run on the most common hardware, that's fine for them,  if you play more demanding games these new low end cards are frankly a joke. 

You could also sell 2 and buy a nice and shiny 2060S or better probably! 

Would save you from the slow molasses that is the PS4  ? 

I think you can find games/applications where the 1070's additional ram makes it better, and you can also find games/applications where the 1660Ti's faster ram makes it better. On average the 1660Ti is slightly better on paper. In reality most games will not give any noticeable difference in fps, and maybe a game or 2 where either is better due their different strong and weakpoints.

Also, if we are comparing the 1070Ti to the 1660Ti, why not the 1080 to the 1660Ti also? Again, the 1070Ti is much more of a slightly downgraded 1080 than an upgraded 1070. Of course, if an used 1070Ti has the same price as a new 1660Ti, do get the 1070Ti! Really, if you can get convincingly more performance for the same price (used 1070Ti), or the same performance for a convincingly less price ( used 1070), why not.

6 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

I think Destiny 2 is another where you gonna need easily more than 6 for highest settings

Like 4.5GB at Highest textures running 1440p. I don't think it's 6GB even at 4K. At 1080p Highest it's around 2.8GB, still barely fits into the 3GB VRAM on my GTX 780s, but I drop it to High to avoid crashes from it going over slightly (meaning at most it's using 3-3.1GB VRAM at 1080p Highest preset). 

I haven't ran into a single issue on my 1660 Ti 6GB either, even new stuff like Jedi Fallen Order runs smooth as silk at 1080p. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

I agree,I played like 1000 of games,the only game which requires a bit more then 4GB of RAM is Metro:Exodus so 6GB of RAM would be more then enough maybe even in 2020 I think so.

Btw fuck 8gigs of VRAM on my R9 390 when the GPU is damn sloooooooow,it's completly nonsense putting 8 gigs on that card when it's not capable of running games more then 1080p.

As I said 220 euros used 1070,and 1660 super is 50 euros more,brand new so everyone normal will buy super version,why,higher warranty and it's new.

I am not such a big fan of 1070,but 1070 Ti,and if I could find it for 250 euros used I'd buy it...

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

It's almost Christmas-eve here, no chance for a price drop within the next 1-2 weeks of course. I need to remember these prices for spring/summer...

1070_gh.jpg

6 minutes ago, Sir0Tek said:

It's almost Christmas-eve here, no chance for a price drop within the next 1-2 weeks of course. I need to remember these prices for spring/summer...

1070_gh.jpg

And Germany is cheaper a lot with IT equip then Hungary from where my supplier gets it....

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Just checked saw 2 models of 1070 Ti Strix Advanced selling for rough 300 euros (no warranty).

Too much?