BOINC Community Board

Is anyone else having issues getting work units from WCG right now? I've come back from a long hiatus (haven't crunched any since it switched to Krembil), but despite my best efforts, it just won't give me any work. Confused.

9 hours ago, mattheginger said:

Is anyone else having issues getting work units from WCG right now? I've come back from a long hiatus (haven't crunched any since it switched to Krembil), but despite my best efforts, it just won't give me any work. Confused.

I was getting WU before I switched to the BOINC Pentathlon event. I was planning on going back in a few days. 

Not much of a Gamer….. But I have thing about F@H that may be a little over the top.   See my builds here

10 hours ago, mattheginger said:

Hmmm, I have you check to see if you have the latest BOINC Manager installed?

I know sometimes WCG can get in a funky mood.  Is the event log spitting anything out?

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

9 hours ago, Mxyzptlk said:

I was getting WU before I switched to the BOINC Pentathlon event. I was planning on going back in a few days. 

7 hours ago, Ithanul said:

Hmmm, I have you check to see if you have the latest BOINC Manager installed?

I know sometimes WCG can get in a funky mood.  Is the event log spitting anything out?

Yeah I installed the latest version from the get go, then tried deleting and re-adding the project. Event log didn't seem to show anything notable, other than 'no tasks available for... <insert application name>...'  But overnight I got a slow trickle of WU's, and now it seems to be picking up.

But it seems as though the issue may have been with WCG, as they posted this earlier on their FB page;

IMG_5878.jpg

So, uhh, my account weirdly shows up as two separate ones on BoincStats, the 2nd one is entirely for Numbersfield. Anyone why that is, or how I can fix it?

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

• 3 weeks later...

World Community Grid is going bonkers with work completed these past few days. This is the largest day I have ever seen at over 2 Billion points credited. Marist college with 375M points yesterday! Usually they are about 40 mil. I do notice the average total run time per day hasn't increased that much 363 years yesterday. vs 323 years average. https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/stat/viewGlobal.do  ** EDIT; my bad, run time is LESS than average, somehow.

Global yesterday: 

4,773,863,770 points per day. Global average; 587,984,378 points per day

I am now on page 2 of top contributors instead of being top 10 Weeeeeeeee! TO I hope this pace keeps up let's smash cancer people. 

2023-6-9-2023 Insane work completed by WCG.png

2023-6-9-2023 Insane work completed by WCG 2.png

Edited by danwat1234
avg run time per day only about 10% inc. and Run time edit

I think they released a big batch of gpu work units that seem to be gone now. I had a bunch on 3 pc's, but non right now, so points will probably will go down until they release another batch.

5 hours ago, miker07 said:

I think they released a big batch of gpu work units that seem to be gone now. I had a bunch on 3 pc's, but non right now, so points will probably will go down until they release another batch.

I noticed it is mostly the Covid project, about 4 billion points yesterday vs 0.58 billion average. But also on MCM project that also has an increase; 0.62 billion but average is 0.41 billion points.

Covid project has GPU work units but does MCM ever have any? Hopefully they will port it eventually, compute efficiency would increase so much.

Screenshot_20230610-024014.png

Screenshot_20230610-024036.png

Is there a way to automatically apply my profile on MSI Afterburner at a certain time of day?

I'm using BOINC's built-in scheduler to compute off-peak, but I don't want my laptop to boost my GPU up to 1920Mhz to do the easy MilkyWay@home calculations. 😛

Desktop 1 : Ryzen 5 3600 (O/C to 4Ghz all-core) | Gigabyte B450M-DS3H | 24GB DDR4-2400 Crucial(O/C to 2667) | GALAX RTX 2060 6GB | CoolerMaster MWE 650 Gold

Desktop 2 : i5 10400 | 32GB DDR4-3200(@ 2667Mhz) |  EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8 GB | Corsair CV450M

Laptop : ASUS ROG Strix G17 : i7-10750H, 16GB RAM, GTX 1660Ti 6GB(90W), 1TB NVMe SSD

Yoga 3 14 - i7-5500U, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 940M, 256GB SSD

Never mind, a couple of batch files and task scheduler got me what I needed and more!

Desktop 1 : Ryzen 5 3600 (O/C to 4Ghz all-core) | Gigabyte B450M-DS3H | 24GB DDR4-2400 Crucial(O/C to 2667) | GALAX RTX 2060 6GB | CoolerMaster MWE 650 Gold

Desktop 2 : i5 10400 | 32GB DDR4-3200(@ 2667Mhz) |  EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8 GB | Corsair CV450M

Laptop : ASUS ROG Strix G17 : i7-10750H, 16GB RAM, GTX 1660Ti 6GB(90W), 1TB NVMe SSD

Yoga 3 14 - i7-5500U, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 940M, 256GB SSD

we just hit 400 ltt user on prime grid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

Their next challenge series event has just started, if anyone wants to concentrate on those tasks (321-LLR) for the next few days. https://www.primegrid.com/forum_thread.php?id=10261 These are cpu only tasks, and take a little while. Good idea to put multiple threads per task and only use 50% cpu utilization if you have hyperthreading/smt.

• 2 weeks later...

@Gorgon Do you know if WCG actually has any GPU tasks at all currently? Been polling every 2 mins and not getting a damn thing for either AMD or Nvidia GPU. Seems like false hope.

3 hours ago, leadeater said:

@Gorgon Do you know if WCG actually has any GPU tasks at all currently? Been polling every 2 mins and not getting a damn thing for either AMD or Nvidia GPU. Seems like false hope.

My impression is that they always have plenty of GPU horsepower in recent history.

2 minutes ago, danwat1234 said:

My impression is that they always have plenty of GPU horsepower in recent history.

Damn, I've never gotten one ever so was curious to at least get one so see how it runs and points etc. I'll just leave it going for a few days and hope I get one.

5 hours ago, leadeater said:

Damn, I've never gotten one ever so was curious to at least get one so see how it runs and points etc. I'll just leave it going for a few days and hope I get one.

I haven't got one in at least a month. I always assumed that they only released them periodically.

12 hours ago, leadeater said:

Polling too frequently can get you stuck in a loop where the client never gets work.  Not banned per say but a kind of time-out purgatory. (Last too recent)

Im not at home currently so I can’t check but I believe I found between 5 and 7 minutes the sweet spot for aggression in polling.  The tasks are apparently released at a random time every 1/2 hour or so when they are available so with multiple systems I used to poll at differing start intervals to improve the odds. So I’d use between 00 and 04 as the start minute and “/5” as the divisor in the cron tab.

id also set Einstein or some other GPU task as a secondary task with a share of 0 to the GPUs working while no OpenPandemics tasks were being worked on.

FaH BOINC HfM

Bifrost - 6 GPU Folding Rig  Linux Folding HOWTO Folding Remote Access Folding GPU Profiling ToU Scheduling UPS

Systems:

desktop: Lian-Li O11 Air Mini; Asus ProArt x670 WiFi; Ryzen 9 7950x; EVGA 240 CLC; 4 x 32GB DDR5-5600; 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe3 NVMe; 2 x 8TB NAS; AMD FirePro W4100; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair SF750

nas1: Fractal Node 804; SuperMicro X10sl7-f; Xeon e3-1231v3; 4 x 8GB DDR3-1666 ECC; 2 x 250GB Samsung EVO Pro SSD; 7 x 4TB Seagate NAS; Corsair HX650i

nas2: Synology DS-123j; 2 x 6TB WD Red Plus NAS

nas3: Synology DS-224+; 2 x 12TB Seagate NAS

dcn01: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte Aorus ax570 Master; Ryzen 9 5900x; Noctua NH-D15; 4 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 512GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750Mx

dcn02: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte ax570 Pro WiFi; Ryzen 9 3950x; Noctua NH-D15; 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 128GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750x

dcn03: Fractal Meshify C; Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 5; i9-9900k; BeQuiet! PureRock 2 Black; 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400; 128GB SATA m.2; MSI 4070 Ti Super Gaming X; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair TX650m

dcn05: Fractal Define S; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SATA NVMe; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair TX750m

dcn06: Fractal Focus G Mini; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SSD; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair CX650m

On 6/30/2023 at 10:47 PM, leadeater said:

Try this:

0-59/5 * * * * sleep $(awk 'BEGIN{srand();print int(rand()*300)}'); /usr/bin/boinccmd --project www.worldcommunitygrid.org update

Should fire off an update request at a random point every 5 minutes.

Or this will fire off an update at a fixed point every five minutes:

2-59/5 * * * * /usr/bin/boinccmd --project www.worldcommunitygrid.org update

at 2,7,12,17,22,27,32,37,42,47,52 & 57 minutes after the hour

FaH BOINC HfM

Bifrost - 6 GPU Folding Rig  Linux Folding HOWTO Folding Remote Access Folding GPU Profiling ToU Scheduling UPS

Systems:

desktop: Lian-Li O11 Air Mini; Asus ProArt x670 WiFi; Ryzen 9 7950x; EVGA 240 CLC; 4 x 32GB DDR5-5600; 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe3 NVMe; 2 x 8TB NAS; AMD FirePro W4100; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair SF750

nas1: Fractal Node 804; SuperMicro X10sl7-f; Xeon e3-1231v3; 4 x 8GB DDR3-1666 ECC; 2 x 250GB Samsung EVO Pro SSD; 7 x 4TB Seagate NAS; Corsair HX650i

nas2: Synology DS-123j; 2 x 6TB WD Red Plus NAS

nas3: Synology DS-224+; 2 x 12TB Seagate NAS

dcn01: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte Aorus ax570 Master; Ryzen 9 5900x; Noctua NH-D15; 4 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 512GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750Mx

dcn02: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte ax570 Pro WiFi; Ryzen 9 3950x; Noctua NH-D15; 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 128GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750x

dcn03: Fractal Meshify C; Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 5; i9-9900k; BeQuiet! PureRock 2 Black; 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400; 128GB SATA m.2; MSI 4070 Ti Super Gaming X; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair TX650m

dcn05: Fractal Define S; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SATA NVMe; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair TX750m

dcn06: Fractal Focus G Mini; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SSD; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair CX650m

3 hours ago, Gorgon said:

Try this:

0-59/5 * * * * sleep $(awk 'BEGIN{srand();print int(rand()*300)}'); /usr/bin/boinccmd --project www.worldcommunitygrid.org update

Should fire off an update request at a random point every 5 minutes.

Or this will fire off an update at a fixed point every five minutes:

2-59/5 * * * * /usr/bin/boinccmd --project www.worldcommunitygrid.org update

at 2,7,12,17,22,27,32,37,42,47,52 & 57 minutes after the hour

Thanks, won't get my hopes up too much though

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody know why the boinc client dishes out too many tasks with some projects, and not others?

I have the client set to only feed me a days worth of tasks at a time, but projects like prime grid and milkyway tend to throw about 4-5 days worth at me at each opportunity.

WCG, Rosetta etc seem to work perfectly. Is there another setting I’m missing? I was under the impression that the client settings overrule the individual project settings anyhow?

• 4 months later...

I seem to be unable to create any user account in the BOINC manarger.
Managed to make an user on Einstein home webpage and get that working.
User creation on WCG webpage doesnt seem to work either, at least its zero feedback that it does.
I have not found a way to create user on the webpage on climateprediction.

So I guess I just do Einstein home then.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

2 hours ago, Mihle said:

User creation on WCG webpage doesnt seem to work either, at least its zero feedback that it does.

WCG doesn't work in general nowadays, the project is on life support at this point. I'm not too sure about cpn as I've never used it, but if you've managed to create an acc on Einstein, then I guess we're good...? I dunno, never used an acc manager.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

3 hours ago, Mihle said:

So I guess I just do Einstein home then.

My experience has been much the same over the years. Whenever I sign up for a new project, I have to do it on the project site first and then use those credentials in the BOINC manager.

• 1 month later...

What is the best Project for an AMD GPU? I got a RX 7900 XTX that just doesn't seem to be getting fully utilized.