HELIOS - ASSEMBLED 2015-SEP-06 - (Caselabs SMH10 | Black/Copper | EVGA SR-2 )

I just went through 44 pages of pictures and people talking trying to find what this build looks like finished, only to find out it's still in progress. I'm done  :angry:

/ban Alpenwasser

You know, there is a table of contents at the start, could have saved

you a lot of work. :P

Anyway:

1. Thanks for your dedication, it is appreciated. :)

2. Look on the bright side: There is still more to come!

Also, @looney can give me a few warning points for not building more

quickly. Like, 1058 or so? :D

EDIT:

Aaaand we're on page 45...

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

You know, there is a table of contents at the start, could have saved

you a lot of work. :P

Anyway:

1. Thanks for your dedication, it is appreciated. :)

2. Look on the bright side: There is still more to come!

Also, @looney can give me a few warning points for not building more

quickly. Like, 1058 or so? :D

EDIT:

Aaaand we're on page 45...

There is a table of contents?! 

I am scared to follow this thread and wake up to 7 thousand notifications because of how many people reply...

I will just occasionally check in.

I do agree though, @looney should give you around 1058 warning point, because I'm pretty sure that constitutes a ban.

Off topic:

Do you host alpenwasser.net? It seems a little slow to me... I don't know if it's because of how far away I live, but when loading images in full-res it takes a good 15 seconds.

So I am assuming you host the server out of your home :P Probably one of your 10 HDD machines...

Right in the first post. :D

I am scared to follow this thread and wake up to 7 thousand notifications because of how many people reply...

I will just occasionally check in.

It has its phases of activity yes. :D

When there is a proper update I will send out a status update anyway, you

can just friend me and you'll see it then. I reckon there are probably quite

a few people in the same situation. ;)

I do agree though, @looney should give you around 1058 warning point, because I'm pretty sure that constitutes a ban.

Yes, bad alpenwasser, bad bad alpenwasser. whipping.gif

Off topic:

Do you host alpenwasser.net? It seems a little slow to me... I don't know if it's because of how far away I live, but when loading images in full-res it takes a good 15 seconds.

So I am assuming you host the server out of your home :P Probably one of your 10HDD machines...

Nope, it's actually hosted on a proper server, but sometimes it seems

to creak a bit under load with all those images. Sorry about that.

I've been thinking about changing hosts, but for the time being

I'm leaving it as is, don't really have the time to bother with

that at the moment.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Right in the first post. :D

It has its phases of activity yes. :D

When there is a proper update I will send out a status update anyway, you

can just friend me and you'll see it then. I reckon there are probably quite

a few people in the same situation. ;)

Yes, bad alpenwasser, bad bad alpenwasser. whipping.gif

that at the moment.

I've been meaning to ask (and I probably should be asking this in your cable lacing thread) but where do you buy your lacing? I want to get it in different colors for when I sleeve my PSU.

I've been meaning to ask (and I probably should be asking this in your cable lacing thread) but where do you buy your lacing? I want to get it in different colors for when I sleeve my PSU.

I get it on eBay. Search for "waxed cotton cord", "waxed cotton thread", something

like that, if you want something that's similar to ZEUS. They're available in a variety

of colours and diameters (I think the one for ZEUS is 1 mm).

If you want something thinner (Nylon), like for HELIOS, that's just normal Nylon thread

(0.25 mm dia IIRC), although I'm not sure how many colours that's available in (I'm only

aware of transparent and black).

So I am assuming you host the server out of your home :P Probably one of your 10 HDD machines...

that at the moment.

He has actually been offered a decent failover, but AW just needs to be stubborn once in a while ;)

(So sorry, couldn't resist!)

He has actually been offered a decent failover, but AW just needs to be stubborn once in a while ;)

(So sorry, couldn't resist!)

:P

(contract is active for another two months or so, might as well use it

when I've paid for it)

Well, I didn't say 'replace', I said 'failover' ;)

True. I shall be in touch. ;)

Looking so nice so far!

Thanks! :)

-aw- I expected a much cleaner work environment from you, tisk tisk tisk ;). Nah, you are not a true modder or PC enthusiast builder if you desk doesn't look like this. Prime example from a prime candidate. Lovely.

Cartdog.

Ah yes, shame on me. I think @looney needs to give me some

warning points for spamming my work environment with unnecessary

materials. :D

But yeah, it's a work environment, not a showroom. ;)

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

How do the dual 5680's perform? I'm looking at a used PowerEdge with dual 5650s for a storage build, but I wonder if it'd be better to use a current-gen quad-core.

Here's the server

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

How do the dual 5680's perform? I'm looking at a used PowerEdge with dual 5650s for a storage build, but I wonder if it'd be better to use a current-gen quad-core.

Here's the server

TBH I haven't really had the opportunity yet to run some proper benchmarks.

Since I wasn't able to get the NV drivers to run on Linux I'm running Win 7

for the time being, and since I'm not too fond of that I don't really

have the motivation to get all too involved with it. I'm just running BOINC

under Win for now and Linux in a VM for actual interaction with the system.

Unfortunately it's not running very stably at the moment, I have crashes

every few days or so (not sure if it's BOINC's fault, or Win's, or something

else, will need to do some investigating once I get the time).

Having said that, the L5630s (basically the X5650 with four cores instead of

six and a lower clock speed) I have in APOLLO have proven more than adequate

for the storage stuff I've thrown at it (VMs and ZFS), although I haven't done

too much benching on that either (build is still under construction, although

I did some minor testing).

I'd say go for it, unless you do something properly crazy and really require

top performance, the Westmere Xeons are still a very good option IMHO. I certainly

won't feel compelled to upgrade to anything newer for quite a few years to come

most likely (and it's not just because this machine was so expensive, because

let's be honest, CPU performance hasn't exactly skyrocketed in the last half

decade or so, the major focus has been performance/watt for quite a while now).

Sorry that I don't have anything more concrete. I should be able to run some

storage benches on APOLLO once it's up and running (shouldn't be too long now),

but the offer will probably be over by then even if I really get a move on

with finishing that build. ;)

Here's the server

FYI - my two cents - the CPU's are fine for a "storage" server. We have clients running a lot less with huge amounts of storage. More important is the raid card, the NIC, etc.

My one concern with that unit is simply, only 4 drive bays. I assume it has SATA on board, but with no PERC card, the onboard may not even have any raid support. Some recent Dell servers I have working with have relied entirely on the PERC and only had a single sata port for the CD-ROM. Have you verified those specs on the unit?

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

FYI - my two cents - the CPU's are fine for a "storage" server. We have clients running a lot less with huge amounts of storage. More important is the raid card, the NIC, etc.

My one concern with that unit is simply, only 4 drive bays. I assume it has SATA on board, but with no PERC card, the onboard may not even have any raid support. Some recent Dell servers I have working with have relied entirely on the PERC and only had a single sata port for the CD-ROM. Have you verified those specs on the unit?

I haven't, but other listings with the same specs have explicitly said that the PERC was not included.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

I haven't, but other listings with the same specs have explicitly said that the PERC was not included.

Ya, check on the Dell site for that model and see what onboard connectors it comes with...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Ya, check on the Dell site for that model and see what onboard connectors it comes with...

I'd ideally like to use it for some sort of ZFS (not sure which implementation yet), so I wouldn't need onboard RAID, just SATA ports.

Don't those servers come with a free PCI-E slot that I could plug a card into?

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Happy 1 year Helios lol (saw your post in Black Pearl Ice :P)

Your work desk in the latest update looks like the typical enthusiast

desk haha. Hope to see more soon (both Helios and Apollo)

Edit: 1,000th post    :D 

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

• 4 weeks later...

This build looks really cool, the case is my favourite part of it! I can't wait to see it completed :) and your posts have a really nice, helpful layout, too - the contents on page 1 is a great help!

I would also like to say I am impressed with your fluency in English! Is it your first language? I was just wondering since you are from Switzerland, if I'm not mistaken. You could definitely fool somebody into thinking that! :)

| My first build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/117400-my-very-first-build/ | Build for my friend's 18th: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/168660-pc-for-my-friends-18th-with-pictures-complete/ |

ATH-M50X Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/165934-review-audio-technica-ath-m50-x/ | Nintendo 3DS XL Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/179711-nintendo-3ds-xl-review/ | Game Capture Guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186547-ultimate-guide-to-recording-your-gameplay/

Case: Corsair 200R CPU: i5 4670K @ 3.4GHz RAM: Corsair 8GB 1600MHz C9 Mobo: GIGABYTE Z87-HD3 GPU: MSI R9 290 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO PSU: EVGA 750W Storage: 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD Display: Dell U2212HM OS: Windows 8

Hey Happy 1 year Helios lol (saw your post in Black Pearl Ice :P)

Your work desk in the latest update looks like the typical enthusiast

desk haha. Hope to see more soon (both Helios and Apollo)

Edit: 1,000th post    :D 

Sorry for the delay, I didn't want to get people's hopes up too much

by responding. ;)

And belated congratulations!

This build looks really cool, the case is my favourite part of it! I can't wait to see it completed :) and your posts have a really nice, helpful layout, too - the contents on page 1 is a great help!

Thanks for the compliments, and yes I'm rather fond of the project

myself and am eager to complete it (whenever that may be... :rolleyes: ).

And yes, I think with a thread as long as this one, an index is kind

of necessary to not make it completely unuseable (and just between us,

I just think a build log should have a proper index table, even if it

doesn't blow up to as monstrous a thread as this one has ;)).

I would also like to say I am impressed with your fluency in English! Is it your first language? I was just wondering since you are from Switzerland, if I'm not mistaken. You could definitely fool somebody into thinking that! :)

Haha, it's funny you mention that. Just a few days ago I was typing

out a message in German to another forum member (because, it'd be

kinda weird to converse in English if we both have German as our

mother tongue, so no, English is not my first language ;) ), and

I noticed that I actually need to focus quite a bit more when typing

German than when typing English. And it's not like I'm natively

untalented at German, quite the contrary, but I just really haven't

had much practice lately, whereas I write tons of stuff in English

all the time. "Use it or lose it.", so to speak.

I also once had somebody (American) ask me if I'd been in an exchange

program at Berkeley or some other fancy school because of my long

sentences and very liberal use of commas and parentheses, but I do

that in German as well, it's just my writing style. :D

Anyway, where was I? Ah yes, saving up money to continue this eternal

project. :D

Oh man, i was hopping for an update when saw a notification from your build.... :((( this makes me very sad :'(... Hope you get the money soon, want some upgrade on this beast

Everyday Rig: CPU: Intel i7 3930k (stock), Graphics Card: Asus Strix GTX 1080 Advance Edition, Ram: 32Gb 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance, Storage: 128Gb Samsung 830, 2Tb Seagate Barracuda, CPU Cooler: H100i GTX Noctua F12 iPPC 2000RPM and Gentle Typhoon 1850RPM, Windows 10 Pro, Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 80Gold, Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Keyboard: Corsair K65 Cherry Red,  Mouse: Razer Mamba TE

Oh man, i was hopping for an update when saw a notification from your build.... :((( this makes me very sad :'(... Hope you get the money soon, want some upgrade on this beast

Terribly sorry about that, but thanks for caring.

General guideline: If you see somebody else posting in this thread, and

then a short time later me, I'm likely just responding to that member's

post. If the thread has been inactive for a while and then I post in it,

it's probably a proper update. :)

• 1 month later...

Thread Necro !!

Any updates aw?

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

• 1 month later...

I came across this build log and read through up to this point, now I have no

choice but to register here so I can follow along with the rest of it...

Really, really awesome work, can't wait to see more!