#TeamTree, Elon Musk just donated 1mil trees, Youtube to soon Match the 1mil

rawrdaysgoby
3 minutes ago, OlympicAssEater said:

Mr. Beast will be the first youtuber to make his own museum or historic place.

Yeah, its really refreshing to see him use him fame for good, donating to charities, planting trees overall helping a lot of people. 

I love how far MrBeast has come, from his early days reviewing bad intros. Seeing him use his gathered fame for the greater good - being such a good friend - giving back to the community in his area - etc.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

5 hours ago, LeSheen said:

I can't stand Mr. Beast his videos. But I can't deny he is doing some great things as well. If only other big youtubers were as hard to hate ? 

yep, you can't deny that he's doing a good deed. 

Used to love his videos. I still watch them now and then. They just don't appeal to me as much anymore. Either way, he is a great person doing a great thing. I respect him for that.(also, Who else has noticed that chris has managed to find a way to remove his pants in just about every recent video?? Like bro, Keep your pants on...) 

If they had done it without announcing it (or better yet, anonymously) this wouldn't be ruined by the stink of a publicity stunt. Granted, I can't know if Musk privately donates to charities or how much but this looks like he did the bare minimum to stand out and enjoy the media resonance. Considering he could probably have funded the whole thing and have been none the poorer for it this feels like throwing a penny at a beggar while filming it and expecting praise.

But hey, maybe I'm just being cynical.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

9 minutes ago, Sauron said:

If they had done it without announcing it (or better yet, anonymously) this wouldn't be ruined by the stink of a publicity stunt. Granted, I can't know if Musk privately donates to charities or how much but this looks like he did the bare minimum to stand out and enjoy the media resonance. Considering he could probably have funded the whole thing and have been none the poorer for it this feels like throwing a penny at a beggar while filming it and expecting praise.

Yea, you are being pretty cynical. Some one does a good thing and you automatically assume they have ulterior motives. So what if he decided to post about what he did. Maybe he was trying to encourage others to donate as well, which if that's what he was going for, it worked, because YouTube is matching it.

18 minutes ago, Sauron said:

No matter what's the intention, the end result is what matters. If his and a lot of other famous ppl on twitter and youtube decide to encourage their follower to plant trees, who cares about the evil intention.

However, I do want to say if Elon's intention on Tesla and SpaceX is to save humanity, then maybe he couldve done more on environmental friendly stuff like this tree planting thing. But hes not a free man i guess. there are other stock holders that he has to make happy first.

21 minutes ago, Sauron said:

You're forgetting that when people like Musk participate publicly in things like this, it does garner more support - spreads awareness, and overall helps the cause more than if Musk had donated the same amount but kept it all private.

And frankly, who cares if it's a publicity stunt? He's still doing the right thing - whatever his motivations are.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

However, I do want to say if Elon's intention on Tesla and SpaceX is to save humanity, then maybe he couldve done more on environmental friendly stuff like this tree planting thing. But hes not a free man i guess. there are other stock holders that he has to make happy first.

The thing about SpaceX is that sooner or later, we may encounter a threat to humanity that is quite simply, unavoidable. A killer asteroid with not enough time to launch a mission to deflect it, etc.

So the idea is two fold:

1. We get people off Earth, so that there are people left behind to repopulate and rebuild humanity (whether they recolonize Earth or otherwise)

2. In the process, we significantly advance Space Technology, which actually helps to prevent said scenario (ability to detect, and then deflect a killer asteroid, etc, becomes significantly improved as a byproduct).

Tesla, on the other hand, is just straight up good for humanity. Yeah it's mostly luxury vehicles, but they had to start somewhere, and it's pushing all the major auto brands into electric research, which means when Ford, VW, Toyota, Honda, etc are all launching EV versions of their entire lineup, the pricing is going to come down significantly over time.

Edit: The point is that while Musk wants to Colonize Mars as a failsafe in case we fuck the Earth with Climate Change or it gets nuked by an asteroid, etc - he's not abandoning Earth in the process. He can do both at the same time, and in fact, doing one will contribute beneficially to the other through advances and leaps in technology.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

12 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

Yeah, its really refreshing to see him use him fame for good, donating to charities, planting trees overall helping a lot of people. 

Yeah it is. He doesn't flex at all like " Look at me, I just bought my own lambo and this 6 figures mansion."

Another fact about his channel is his videos view is equal or more than his channel sub which is crazy to me. 

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

You're forgetting that when people like Musk participate publicly in things like this, it does garner more support - spreads awareness, and overall helps the cause more than if Musk had donated the same amount but kept it all private.

Nah, no matter how much more "awareness" Musk can spread beyond this being the single most publicized effort in the history of youtube if not the internet it will never be as effective as just donating another million himself.

6 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

And frankly, who cares if it's a publicity stunt? He's still doing the right thing - whatever his motivations are.

I'm not saying TeamTrees shouldn't take his money. I'm saying it's not very praiseworthy.

8 minutes ago, Devin92 said:

No matter what's the intention, the end result is what matters. If his and a lot of other famous ppl on twitter and youtube decide to encourage their follower to plant trees, who cares about the evil intention.

The result is pretty underwhelming considering the extent of his finances.

9 minutes ago, Devin92 said:

SpaceX and Tesla are strictly designed to make money. They aren't non profits and they aren't going to "save humanity", not even as a side effect. Some things those companies invest in are good for the environment but they aren't nearly enough to consider them a solution to the problem.

23 minutes ago, xARACHN1D said:

Yea, you are being pretty cynical. Some one does a good thing and you automatically assume they have ulterior motives.

Only when there's precedent and a pretty darn good ulterior motive.

Again, consider the scenario of me throwing a few dollars at a beggar and tweeting about it. Technically it's a good gesture and yet it doesn't make a good impression, does it? The only difference is that Musk is 5-6 orders of magnitude wealthier than I am.

25 minutes ago, xARACHN1D said:

So what if he decided to post about what he did. Maybe he was trying to encourage others to donate as well, which if that's what he was going for, it worked, because YouTube is matching it.

As though Youtube needed Musk to let them know about this... they just took the chance to make their inevitable donation when it would have the most social resonance.

11 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Edit: The point is that while Musk wants to Colonize Mars as a failsafe in case we fuck the Earth with Climate Change or it gets nuked by an asteroid, etc - he's not abandoning Earth in the process. He can do both at the same time, and in fact, doing one will contribute beneficially to the other through advances and leaps in technology.

If he actually believes that, he's delusional. By the time we manage to colonize Mars in a way that would allow it to act as a "spare Earth" we'll all be long dead if nothing, or rather, not enough is done about climate change. What was that fake quote from Marie Antoinette? "If they don't have bread they should eat cake"? That's what this sounds like. And also let's stop pretending Musk is somehow the one savior who has the power to singlehandedly save the planet and propel us into a new era of space colonization... he's invested money in some research on some of these issues, that's it.

I'm all for space exploration and SpaceX might as well be the ones who do it but let's not pretend it's the catch all solution for our problems. Some of SpaceX' planned endeavors would actually be harmful to humanity, e.g. the thousands of satellites Musk wanted to launch to provide worldwide internet which would clog up near Earth orbit and potentially mess with all future space exploration and astronomy.

17 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Tesla, on the other hand, is just straight up good for humanity. Yeah it's mostly luxury vehicles, but they had to start somewhere, and it's pushing all the major auto brands into electric research, which means when Ford, VW, Toyota, Honda, etc are all launching EV versions of their entire lineup, the pricing is going to come down significantly over time.

What's actually pushing manufacturers into electric are increasingly stringent emission regulations (which is how it should be, except they should have started 20 years earlier). Tesla isn't breathing down on anyone's neck in terms of competition.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

8 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Nah, no matter how much more "awareness" Musk can spread beyond this being the single most publicized effort in the history of youtube if not the internet it will never be as effective as just donating another million himself.

I'm not saying TeamTrees shouldn't take his money. I'm saying it's not very praiseworthy.

SpaceX and Tesla are strictly designed to make money. They aren't non profits and they aren't going to "save humanity", not even as a side effect. Some things those companies invest in are good for the environment but they aren't nearly enough to consider them a solution to the problem.

Only when there's precedent and a pretty darn good ulterior motive.

Again, consider the scenario of me throwing a few dollars at a beggar and tweeting about it. Technically it's a good gesture and yet it doesn't make a good impression, does it? The only difference is that Musk is 5-6 orders of magnitude wealthier than I am.

As though Youtube needed Musk to let them know about this... they just took the chance to make their inevitable donation when it would have the most social resonance.

If he actually believes that, he's delusional. By the time we manage to colonize Mars in a way that would allow it to act as a "spare Earth" we'll all be long dead if nothing, or rather, not enough is done about climate change. What was that fake quote from Marie Antoinette? "If they don't have bread they should eat cake"? That's what this sounds like. And also let's stop pretending Musk is somehow the one savior who has the power to singlehandedly save the planet and propel us into a new era of space colonization... he's invested money in some research on some of these issues, that's it.

I'm all for space exploration and SpaceX might as well be the ones who do it but let's not pretend it's the catch all solution for our problems. Some of SpaceX' planned endeavors would actually be harmful to humanity, e.g. the thousands of satellites Musk wanted to launch to provide worldwide internet which would clog up near Earth orbit and potentially mess with all future space exploration and astronomy.

What's actually pushing manufacturers into electric are increasingly stringent emission regulations (which is how it should be, except they should have started 20 years earlier). Tesla isn't breathing down on anyone's neck in terms of competition.

I am going to assume that you are a really skeptical and hateful person in real life. For real though, a guy donates money and is a bad person because he actually tells people he did it. So what? You have some serious social issues if that disturbs you enough to hate on the guy through a forum.

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

You're assuming that if he donated privately, he would donate "another million himself". Where's that based off of? Sure, of course if he donated more money, that'd be great. But that's also a stupid argument that's entirely circular.

I'd say it's just as praiseworthy as when anyone else donates a lot of money - regardless of who they are. He doesn't deserve to be made into a Messiah over it, but a "wow that's awesome, thanks" is more than earned from those who wish to give it to him.

And? At least he's donating some money - plenty of billionaires don't at all. Aside from that, we know nothing of his personal donations.

They are a for profit company, yes. But that doesn't make those things mutually exclusive - Musk, on a personal level, wants to use those companies to "save humanity" - and since he's a capitalist, he believes a private for profit company can do a lot of good. Which, he's right.

They're not a solution in-and-of themselves - but they are part of the solution.

I would say if you gave a begger some money, and tweeted about it, as long as you weren't a egocentric asshole in your tweet, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Granted, Musk can be an asshole, but that's neither here nor there.

Of course they did - throwing away good PR doesn't help anyone, and it certainly doesn't make a cause "more noble".

No one is pretending that Musk is going to single handedly do anything - including advance space technology. Though he personally does a lot, and his company is one of the major driving forces in the industry right now. The STS is stalled, still technically progressing, but it's moving very slowly. The Starship is moving at lightning speed, and the Super Heavy booster that goes with it is going to be the single most powerful rocket ever made (perhaps the STS might match or beat it, but that's yet to be seen).

We need to do both. That's the whole point. We need to work on fixing climate change, while at the same time progressing rapidly in space technology, including Mars exploration and inevitable colonization.

I'm not convinced that the satellite grid would "clog up" LEO - space is massive - even close to Earth's orbit. As long as we have a good map, with real time tracking, there's very little risk of collision.

Space debris in general is a major problem though.

Both are happening - Tesla is getting a lot of really good PR, and has been for years, due to their efforts in the EV industry. Certainly, there are other companies that are also pushing - but let's not pretend like Tesla hasn't done anything. It's popularized EV's to the masses.

9 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

You're assuming that if he donated privately, he would donate "another million himself". Where's that based off of? Sure, of course if he donated more money, that'd be great. But that's also a stupid argument that's entirely circular.

I'd say it's just as praiseworthy as when anyone else donates a lot of money - regardless of who they are. He doesn't deserve to be made into a Messiah over it, but a "wow that's awesome, thanks" is more than earned from those who wish to give it to him.

And? At least he's donating some money - plenty of billionaires don't at all. Aside from that, we know nothing of his personal donations.

They are a for profit company, yes. But that doesn't make those things mutually exclusive - Musk, on a personal level, wants to use those companies to "save humanity" - and since he's a capitalist, he believes a private for profit company can do a lot of good. Which, he's right.

They're not a solution in-and-of themselves - but they are part of the solution.

I would say if you gave a begger some money, and tweeted about it, as long as you weren't a egocentric asshole in your tweet, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Granted, Musk can be an asshole, but that's neither here nor there.

Of course they did - throwing away good PR doesn't help anyone, and it certainly doesn't make a cause "more noble".

No one is pretending that Musk is going to single handedly do anything - including advance space technology. Though he personally does a lot, and his company is one of the major driving forces in the industry right now. The STS is stalled, still technically progressing, but it's moving very slowly. The Starship is moving at lightning speed, and the Super Heavy booster that goes with it is going to be the single most powerful rocket ever made (perhaps the STS might match or beat it, but that's yet to be seen).

We need to do both. That's the whole point. We need to work on fixing climate change, while at the same time progressing rapidly in space technology, including Mars exploration and inevitable colonization.

I'm not convinced that the satellite grid would "clog up" LEO - space is massive - even close to Earth's orbit. As long as we have a good map, with real time tracking, there's very little risk of collision.

Space debris in general is a major problem though.

Both are happening - Tesla is getting a lot of really good PR, and has been for years, due to their efforts in the EV industry. Certainly, there are other companies that are also pushing - but let's not pretend like Tesla hasn't done anything. It's popularized EV's to the masses.

This should be on r/murderedbywords

Good Guy Elon 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

47 minutes ago, xARACHN1D said:

I am going to assume that you are a really skeptical and hateful person in real life. For real though, a guy donates money and is a bad person because he actually tells people he did it. So what? You have some serious social issues if that disturbs you enough to hate on the guy through a forum.

Considering Musk's precedents, I'm a pretty friendly guy in comparison. But yeah, sorry if I don't let people like him buy my admiration for relative pocket change. I guess framing his business investments in a less heroic and slightly more realistic light is very hateful.

image.png.b677f53905a7406077908f19205953a2.png

cry me a river.

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

You're assuming that if he donated privately, he would donate "another million himself".

That's not what I said. I said he did this for personal gain and that if his intentions truly were about boosting the project he could have done it in a much more effective way - except he wouldn't have benefited as much from it and he would have had to pay a little more money he doesn't need.

4 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Right, so what about everyone else who donated money? Are they all getting a news thread? No, it's just the people who started the fundraiser (somewhat rightfully in their case) and people who have so much money that they can afford to donate a million without feeling it.

5 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Yeah, as I said I don't know if and what he donates privately, but given how many otherwise charitable things he's done in the most public way possible I would doubt it's a whole lot. If anything, your point about him spreading the word would be a lot more effective on things that aren't already massively popular - but he never seems to talk about those.

8 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

he believes a private for profit company can do a lot of good.

I would disagree on that but not specifically because of Musk.

9 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Musk, on a personal level, wants to use those companies to "save humanity"

Then he's LARPing or just delusional, as I said. If this was his main goal there are hundreds of more effective ways of moving towards it. He chose the ones that make him money.

12 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

No one is pretending that Musk is going to single handedly do anything

So which is it? Does he think he's "saving humanity" or doesn't he?

13 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

There are quite a bit more than two things we should be doing. Climate change is just the topic at hand in this thread. But you're missing my point - I don't have a problem with what SpaceX does, I have a problem with what a lot of people seems to think (and what Musk constantly suggests) it does, because it's simply not the case. We keep talking about Mars' colonization as though SpaceX engineers were working on the first settlements right now but the reality of it is that we're nowhere near even starting to think about a realistic colonization effort beyond some talk show level of brainstorming with no idea if any of it makes any sense. Remember when Musk proposed we nuke Mars so it might become a bit more inhabitable 1000 years from now? Does that sound like a pressing concern right now or even like something SpaceX is actively working towards?

20 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

To avoid collisions you might have to delay launch windows that only happen at intervals of years. It doesn't matter if you track them, they're still in the way. And they disturb observations. Oh, and it only takes one collision to potentially end space exploration... forever.

24 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

What masses? Tesla doesn't make cars for the masses. They're only somewhat relevant in pop culture. They're not even technologically ahead of the curve in a lot of ways. Sure, in some small sense they helped normalize the idea but ultimately people buy cars they can afford and EVs will only fall in that category when the major players decide it's profitable to make them.

With all of that said, this isn't a takedown of Tesla or SpaceX - I don't expect them to do the things I said they don't do, it's not like suddenly the entire responsibility of popularizing EVs and colonizing Mars must fall on their shoulders. I specifically have a problem with Musk personally taking responsibility for all their successes and claiming their successes and future developments amount to waaay more than they actually do for personal glory. I'm saying this because it looks like you're conflating Musk, Tesla and SpaceX into a single entity and that you think to have a problem with one is to have a problem with them all, which isn't the case.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 hours ago, Sauron said:

That is a absurd thing to say. He donated a good amount. He may have couple of billions to spend, that doesn't mean he has to give more. Again, the result is he donated 1million and now youtube is mirroring it, if apple/google/microsoft/GM etc. see this and are willingly or forced to  donated 1 million, that is a lot of trees. lets see if this happens.

not a lot of ppl are noble enough to sacrifice everything to do good, most put their own well being ahead of others, this is natural and nothing to be ashamed of. However, if you are making money and you are doing something not harmful but good to the world, its win-win.

9 minutes ago, Devin92 said:

That is a absurd thing to say. He donated a good amount. He may have couple of billions to spend, that doesn't mean he has to give more.

He doesn't have to do anything of course. I don't recall saying that he does.

10 minutes ago, Devin92 said:

Again, the result is he donated 1million and now youtube is mirroring it, if apple/google/microsoft/GM etc. see this and are willingly or forced to  donated 1 million, that is a lot of trees. lets see if this happens.

There we go again, giving Musk the merit for pulling in big donors as though he was the single deciding factor in their donations. Forget the dozens of content creators who spread the message to millions, forget the thousands of people donating and sharing the fundraiser - it was Musk with his one tweet who made it possible, as always.

14 minutes ago, Devin92 said:

not a lot of ppl are noble enough to sacrifice everything to do good, most put their own well being ahead of others, this is natural and nothing to be ashamed of. However, if you are making money and you are doing something not harmful but good to the world, its win-win.

It's not win-win if you overshadow the effort made my hundreds of thousands in the process. The whole TeamTrees thing is symbolic, 20 million trees get cut down every day, it's about showing that we care and making a cultural impact and not about reaching the goal as fast as possible through a handful of people or companies. If they want to donate for trees in the millions the charity actually planting them is always open; half a dozen of extremely wealthy entities raising 10 millions in a week isn't impressive or impactful, hundreds of thousands of normal people getting together and raising that is. Now, instead of feeling like your input made a difference you'll just see that people like Musk can beat you by 4 orders of magnitude and not even break a sweat, but they only care to do so when there's something to gain from it. Truly inspiring.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

16 minutes ago, Sauron said:

snip

i am in no way saying this is all because of Elon's doing. What i am trying to say is, famous ppl leading others to do good by doing good themselves.

I think i am getting what you are trying to say. one time good deed by these ppl is not enough and probably not well intended. However, there's hope these famous ppl tweeting this will make this go crazy viral and become something influential and last long time.

27 minutes ago, Sauron said:

He doesn't have to do anything of course. I don't recall saying that he does.

There we go again, giving Musk the merit for pulling in big donors as though he was the single deciding factor in their donations. Forget the dozens of content creators who spread the message to millions, forget the thousands of people donating and sharing the fundraiser - it was Musk with his one tweet who made it possible, as always.

It's not win-win if you overshadow the effort made my hundreds of thousands in the process. The whole TeamTrees thing is symbolic, 20 million trees get cut down every day, it's about showing that we care and making a cultural impact and not about reaching the goal as fast as possible through a handful of people or companies. If they want to donate for trees in the millions the charity actually planting them is always open; half a dozen of extremely wealthy entities raising 10 millions in a week isn't impressive or impactful, hundreds of thousands of normal people getting together and raising that is. Now, instead of feeling like your input made a difference you'll just see that people like Musk can beat you by 4 orders of magnitude and not even break a sweat, but they only care to do so when there's something to gain from it. Truly inspiring.

Jeez my guy. Did elon musk take your kids and bankrupt you or something? You must have something against him.

1 hour ago, Devin92 said:

However, there's hope these famous ppl tweeting this will make this go crazy viral and become something influential and last long time.

Well yes, but the whole thing was spearheaded by well known video creators and influencers. Didn't really need Musk for that.

1 hour ago, xARACHN1D said:

Jeez my guy. Did elon musk take your kids and bankrupt you or something? You must have something against him.

I just wrote 4 walls of text saying I don't like him and listing some reasons why, my dear Sherlock. You quoted one of them. Do you need a drawing to get it?

What did he do for you to get you to defend him so adamantly for that matter? Did he show up at your school with free candy yesterday?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*