[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

26 minutes ago, dannypot said:

Aerocool Integrator MOD XT 750W or 850W series?? 

GPG 750/850W Gold series?

Do you have a link to the product?  IINM there are a lot of variants for the Segotep GP-G (some of them are group regulated, so Tier D), so perhaps someone knowledgeable like @Juular and @jonnyGURU may be able to advise on this, but do you actually need 750/850W?  You can get better quality, lower wattage unit and you still have enough power to power most mainstream PC hardware without issues.

4 minutes ago, doubleflower said:

Do you have a link to the product?  IINM there are a lot of variants for the Segotep GP-G (some of them are group regulated, so Tier D), so perhaps someone knowledgeable like @Juular and @jonnyGURU may be able to advise on this, but do you actually need 750/850W?  You can get better quality, lower wattage unit and you still have enough power to power most mainstream PC hardware without issues.

GPG one - https://www.amazon.co.uk/GOLDEN-FIELD-Supply-Modular-warranty/dp/B08LGTX91B/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=golden+field+gpg+850&qid=1619951257&s=computers&sr=1-2

Aerocoool one - https://www.amazon.co.uk/AeroCool-Integrator-750W-Semi-Modular-Integrators/dp/B010Q3BT2I/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=integrator+mod+xt&qid=1619951301&s=computers&sr=1-1

19 minutes ago, dannypot said:

Then the Aerocool Integrator would be Tier D, but I have no idea which tier the Golden Field should be on, but it seems odd why would you choose these units when you probably can get a better quality PSU at the same price (assuming that you don't need 750W) 

@dannypot

2 hours ago, dannypot said:

Aerocool Integrator MOD XT 750W or 850W series?? 

GPG 750/850W Gold series?

Golden Field GPG appears to be using the same platform as Kolink Enclave, but it misses OTP and we don't know if there were components changes to already quiet a budget design. In any case it's better than Aerocool Integrator but are you sure you can't raise the budget and get something better ?

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Hi all,

I am finally in the market to start building a new PC but one thing that I always liked about Antec power supplies are they are very heavy. But I am not a power supply expert but always assumed that meant that the component were top notch. I never had an issues with Antec power supplies either. Your probably asking then why don't I just buy a new Antec power supply? Well because I noticed their models haven't been updated since give or take 2018. Their website list new ones, but I can't seem to find them. Not saying newest is the best, but improvements are welcomed.

Now, comparing a Corsair power supply they feel very light, or possibly "cheap".

Antec give or take are 5lbs

Corsair give or take are 3lbs.

The last Corsair power supply I had did have a pretty loud coil whine, where Antecs didn't as much.

Anyways, I came here to ask if a power supply is heavier does it perform better or worst?

4 hours ago, pRogz said:

I came here to ask if a power supply is heavier does it perform better or worst?

Absolutely, positively, NO.  Weight has nothing to do with quality.

4 hours ago, pRogz said:

Now, comparing a Corsair power supply they feel very light, or possibly "cheap".

You do understand that there are more than one Corsair and Antec PSU ? Which ones are you talking about ? But no, weight is not a metric of quality.

26 minutes ago, Juular said:

You do understand that there are more than one Corsair and Antec PSU ? Which ones are you talking about ? But no, weight is not a metric of quality.

VS650 versus a TruePower Quattro.  😄

Remember those Quattros with the racing stripes?  Man.  Those things were TANKS!

3 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Absolutely, positively, NO.  Weight has nothing to do with quality.

Oh okay, yeah I was just wondering. Some items this holds true for like keyboards.

3 hours ago, Juular said:

Yes, I do, I was just asking in general.

In that case, why are some power supply extremely heavy and some extremely light?

25 minutes ago, pRogz said:

In that case, why are some power supply extremely heavy and some extremely light?

Increased weight may be both a sign of very old inefficient design with big meaty heatsinks and modern very complex designs like CWT CST, but modern budget designs may be quite light too, something like CWT GPS. So the weight can correlate with complexity if we aren't talking about 10 years old PSUs but this doesn't mean increased quality, a complex design can still be worse than a less complex one.

Thoughts on this unit?

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/550w-aerocool-aero-fully-wired-80-plus-bronze-single-rail-45a-120mm-fan-atx-psu?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=feed_clicks&utm_content=surfaces_across_google&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvtD00o2s8AIVhu3tCh1AWA62EAQYAiABEgKMFPD_BwE

Aerocool Aero Bronze is shown on the Tier list as Tier C. The only in depth reviews I could find on these units were in russian except for this one:

The 650w unit seems to be ok based on the above, but what about the 550w? Some excerpts from the listing at scan are as follows:

"• Built-in premium 105°C Japanese main capacitors provide low ripple and higher durability.
• High-end solid state capacitors provide great DC output quality for improved noise filtering and low ripple.
• DC-to-DC conversion circuit for higher efficiency and tight voltage regulation even under heavy cross-loading conditions.
• 12cm high-pressure fan with optimised fan speed allows for near inaudible fan noise and silent PSU operation.
 AWG#18 copper wiring with 34 cores and phosphor-bronze connector pins provides high DC current endurance, allowing for longer PSU and PC lifespan.
• Best in class protections makes PSU highly resistant to damage: OVP, UVP OPP, SCP, OCP, Input Surge & Inrush Protection, and OTP"

This sounds pretty good for the money and looks like a step up from the Tier D Integrator units I'm used to seeing. Question is, is it legit? Or is the above spec a copy/paste job? The warranty period is only 24 months which isn't all that inspiring

11 hours ago, boghubodaghi said:

It's the same as the 650W hardware busters reviewed.

https://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.php/artikel/hardware/netzteile/53165-aerocool-aero-bronze-550w-im-test-einsteiger-netzteil-mit-leisem-betrieb.html?start=1

OK for cheap builds but for more expensive ones you'd want a better PSU.

Cheers for the link. I wouldn't be using it for any high end gear it's more of a stop-gap on the cheap for now to power older gear. For the money this will do the job

31 minutes ago, doubleflower said:

@LukeSavenije Any reasons why the Neo Eco Zen Gold has been downgraded to Tier C?  It used to be in Tier B

No OTP. At least there's no way to tell it has or not. I can be wrong though, maybe it has OTP through the fan controller but like I said, there's no way to tell.

@LukeSavenije  @Juular  Just noticed the spreadsheet had a "?" next to "TPK" for the EVGA GT.  EVGA GT is TPK.

39 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

@LukeSavenije  @Juular  Just noticed the spreadsheet had a "?" next to "TPK" for the EVGA GT.  EVGA GT is TPK.

Do you happen to know whether B5 is also TPK?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

41 minutes ago, Elisis said:

Do you happen to know whether B5 is also TPK?

No.  "Cost down TPK" doesn't make sense as TPK is already a cost down version of TP.  

Do we have any internal photos anywhere?

10 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

We do have this, but otherwise, not that I know of:

I'll admit it does look a lot like TPK, but it would still be good to be sure.

592326539_EVGAB5(2).jpg.31e83f563b4514f97dc6a3bd74174dea.jpg

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

8 minutes ago, Elisis said:

We do have this, but otherwise, not that I know of:

I'll admit it does look a lot like TPK, but it would still be good to be sure.

592326539_EVGAB5(2).jpg.31e83f563b4514f97dc6a3bd74174dea.jpg

No.  Just seeing one tiny bit of a PCB doesn't mean it's the same.  Also, this is a picture provided by EVGA.  Who knows if it's actually correct.

7 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

No.  "Cost down TPK" doesn't make sense as TPK is already a cost down version of TP.  

How about TPK downgraded to Bronze? Does that still not make sense? The picture is our best information to date.

11 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

No.  Just seeing one tiny bit of a PCB doesn't mean it's the same.  Also, this is a picture provided by EVGA.  Who knows if it's actually correct.

well, good luck getting a sample off EVGA these days... I've tried

8 hours ago, boghubodaghi said:

How about TPK downgraded to Bronze? Does that still not make sense? The picture is our best information to date.

No.  I don't mean the verbiage doesn't make sense.  From a cost/business standpoint, it does not make sense.  I'm telling you, it's not TPK *period*.

@jonnyGURUHey, can you tell us what platform old TX-M Bronze used (non-Chicony one) ? Looks very close to (supposedly) PUQ-B in old CX-M (green label) but most sources say it's PSHIII. Do they look that close externally or we're missing smth ?

I have a problem with choosing new psu. I'm afraid that my Thermaltake Smart SE 630W won't handle my "new" setup(7820X + RTX 2070 Super), and I need something, hm.. cheaper, that won't blow this thing up. I'm 99% sure that cpu won't be changed in next few years(they're expensive, even old ones) and I won't put 2nd gpu in it. What do you suggest? Single rail will be enough? Mobo has only one 8 pin connector, what's weird for LGA2066, but I think that this makes things easier.

EVGA X299 Micro, i7-7820X, 16GB GoodRAM IRDM X, PNY RTX 2070 Super, 1x Adata S70 Blade 512GB, 1x MX500 1TB, 1x BX200 480GB, Thermaltake Smart SE 630W, Phanteks Enthoo Pro