[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

Hey there! Can you please help me out with choosing the optimal (cost and reliability) PSU for this configuration?

Would a PSU in Tier D be acceptable for a super low end PC without a dedicated GPU? e.g. AMD Ryzen 2200G with stock configuration, 2 sticks of 2400Mhz RAM, and a SSD + HDD. 

The reason I'm asking is because Tier C is listed as being acceptable for "GPUs with no external PCI-e power connection". But if there isn't a GPU at all, does that mean it would be acceptable to drop down to Tier D?

"acceptable" to me would mean no catastrophic failures that would take out other components before they become extremely outdated relative to the modern standards at that time, and are due for an upgrade either way.

Thanks!

6 hours ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

Could I make a suggestion for a rewrite of the tiering / bump-down section that I think might make it a little easier to read?

I'll put it into the group, but I'll promise nothing

4 hours ago, ShafeDogg said:

Gamdias Kratos

added to my list... change was because gamdias had some pretty bad units around, and i was pointed at this one

3 hours ago, SenKa said:

Why is the ROG Strix in D tier?

because as far as i can see from internal shots it's the old focus fx, and as i contacted asus they never came to me about it, and seasonic themselves can't answer it for me.

6 hours ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

would a Tier E PSU be okay due to its age?

actually... some tier e's are unacceptable in the first place. I've actually seen @Twilight using a system power 9 in an old pentium 2 systrm

14 minutes ago, Ambitious_Basket said:

Would a PSU in Tier D be acceptable for a super low end PC without a dedicated GPU?

I'd personally get at least a c, but preferably even b or higher

7 hours ago, Foorya said:

Hey there! Can you please help me out with choosing the optimal (cost and reliability) PSU for this configuration?

Something from Tier A or higher and 550w would be more than plenty.

Personally, I'd go with the RM550 for that system.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

On 11/12/2019 at 8:43 PM, seon123 said:

The issue was that you said that it was in tier D because of it being super cheap. 

Some people ... It's cheap because it's old group regulated design, it's in tier D because it doesn't meet ATX spec with C6\C7 crossloads because it's group regulated.

14 hours ago, SenKa said:

Why is the ROG Strix in D tier? I read the english review you provided and it didn't seem to denote anything negative...

12 hours ago, MrBrightSyde said:

Because it doesn't meet the requirements to be C tier or higher.

Captain Obvious to the rescue !

No, actually it's basically old revision Seasonic Focus with ASUS branded black heatsinks, no idea why that even matters for the insides of PSU lol. So it's positioned the same as Seasonic Focus FX.

11 hours ago, Ambitious_Basket said:

Would a PSU in Tier D be acceptable for a super low end PC without a dedicated GPU?

See, if you're in US then answer is no, you can get a dirt cheap tier B EVGA GD 500W 2019 for like 50$, there's really nothing cheaper than that worth considering unless you like fireworks (i heard Diablotek units are good for that).

If you're in EU, there's pretty cheap be quiet! System Power PSUs, still tier B. In the rest of the world it might be different tho.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

41 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

i might move it to tier c... depends on reviews

Uh ... Rosewill Capstone 550W then, it's modular even (it got way cheaper recently so it might go up in price again). Or EVGA GQ 650W.

Is NZXT E 650 a true tier A?

Supposedly it's based on Seasonic  Focus Plus FX, which is in tier D.

I edit my posts more often than not

23 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

Is NZXT E 650 a true tier A?

it is, and you're almost correct

it's a MODIFIED fx, with a dedicated ocp rail, which didn't have the ocp issues, which meant it didn't have to be upped, so no reports of it rippling either

On 11/12/2019 at 5:33 PM, LukeSavenije said:

had a look into it, PSUguru basically told me this

So at least Tier B?

I'm greatly above potato, but I'm getting there...

Midrange Potato LVL 60:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 with Snowman MT-6 Dual Fans (CPU @ 3.8 GHz - 4.375 GHz to 4.5 GHz @ 1.1V - 1.35V),

MOBO: MSI B550-A Pro
GPU: Asrock RX 5600 XT Phantom Gaming D3 (1820MHz core @930mV)

RAM: TeamGroup T-Force Delta DDR4 Gaming 16GB (2x8GB) 3000MHz 16-17-17-37-58 @ 1.35V,

HARD DRIVE: WD 1TB Blue 
SSD: Toshiba XG5 Series NVMe 512GB (KXG50GVN512G) & Crucial MX500 1TB

CASE: DeepCool Kendomen Titanium case
PSU: Corsair RM-750 (2019) 80+ Gold

Display: Asus VP249QGR via HDMI (144Hz)

Keyboard: Generic PS/2 Keyboard

Mouse: Generic Honeycomb 250Hz Mouse
Speakers: Generic Headset

And yes, there are now fans. 5 Arctic P12 PST's

Userbenchmark Run: 
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/25234338 I don't trust that site anymore

3 hours ago, Totally Average Gameplay said:

So at least Tier B?

well... technically this does count as problematic performance... so i'll debate it, but expect tier d

@LukeSavenije, where would Thermaltake Toughpower GX1 & Smart BX1 tiered up ? Looks like Thermaltake is trying to take the crown for the most complicated lineup from EVGA ...

1 minute ago, Juular said:

@LukeSavenije, where would Thermaltake Toughpower GX1 & Smart BX1 tiered up ? Looks like Thermaltake is trying to take the crown for the most complicated lineup from EVGA ...

i'll add it to the list

and for me silverstone still takes the crown

@LukeSavenije I think I like it generally :) interesting how you do both a text AND graph / sheet. :)  I think the text could maybe be improved to be similar to what I had said, where each higher tier says it meets the next tier below, plus whatever is required for that higher tier.  And I actually like your graph a bit better than what I had in mind - my idea was just yes or no, you went with required, preferred, okay, forbidden basically.

I notice in the chart / sheet there's no difference between S and A+, but in the text, A+ allows ACRF.

BTW if, AFTER posting, I edit THEN @ you, do you still get the notification?  (I had misclicked or somehow tab and enter or whatever and accidentally submitted the post before it was ready)

Oh and on Tier E ... "has heavily malfunctioning protections (OR) is far outdated and not recommended for use with any modern system" .... I wonder if it might be possible (probably in a spoiler, or a separate post?) to have a list of PSUs (maybe including then-popular models no longer in production) that would be okay with more retro systems, because while they may not meet c6/c7, they won't blow up?  (And maybe those can be divided into pre-Haswell, pre-Pentium 4, and pre-ATX?)  Or maybe some kind of a guide on selecting a PSU for a retro system (in situations where a modern PSU would be inadvisable due to being AT vs ATX, or having too small of a 5V rail or whatever), even if you wouldn't name every possible model :P

Oh, also ... what about maybe how much ripple, voltage regulation deviation, etc. might be allowed?  For example I'm guessing Tier S might require like 0.25% regulation and 6mV ripple regardless of which rails are loaded & how much, B might be okay with 2% regulation and 40mV ripple, D would be right at the limits of ATX spec.  Also if a PSU is rated for only 40°C it's automatically tier B or lower, 30°C it's automatically C, 25° or unrated it's no higher than D?  (And what else might i have forgotten...)

And what about ... if any single sample of a unit ever, under any circumstance, takes out other components (either during its own death or sacrifices the other part to save itself), it's automatically Tier E? :P  Hehe okay that might be taking it a wee bit too far :D

10 minutes ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

BTW if, AFTER posting, I edit THEN @ you, do you still get the notification?

i do, but i get two of them then, because i follow this as well

11 minutes ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

but in the text, A+ allows ACRF.

oh, error on my side... will fix soon

12 minutes ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

to have a list of PSUs that would be okay with more retro systems

well... i can't do much on the at side of things

and i've actually seen occasions with ATX systems that a modern dc-dc works just fine, i saw someone running a pentium 2 system off a system power 9 a while ago

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

i do, but i get two of them then, because i follow this as well

oh, error on my side... will fix soon

well... i can't do much on the at side of things

and i've actually seen occasions with ATX systems that a modern dc-dc works just fine, i saw someone running a pentium 2 system off a system power 9 a while ago

Ahh interesting :) also you replied while I was making a couple edits. 

I wonder how you'd run a really old retro AT system with a modern ATX supply though :P like pre-486 :D and yeah ... I don't follow the topic lol :P would probably get deluged with notifications so it would make Noah jealous :P

51 minutes ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

Oh, also ... what about maybe how much ripple, voltage regulation deviation, etc. might be allowed?  For example I'm guessing Tier S might require like 0.25% regulation and 6mV ripple regardless of which rails are loaded & how much, B might be okay with 2% regulation and 40mV ripple, D would be right at the limits of ATX spec.  Also if a PSU is rated for only 40°C it's automatically tier B or lower, 30°C it's automatically C, 25° or unrated it's no higher than D?  (And what else might i have forgotten...)

that's... something i'm not woken up enough to make something for... i'll see what i can do

Seasonic PRIME, PX,TX, GX third level from above because there is no stupid multirail and they are reccomended only for systems with 1 GPU?xD ?‍♀️ , aside from that 3/4 of the entire list is made by oem seasonic.

Tier D is also even funnier - potentially dangerous Antec HCG, Earthwatts pro gold/platinium, ROG Strix xD what is this? 

9 minutes ago, Kaygooo said:

aside from that 3/4 of the entire list is made by oem seasonic.

ehm... since when?

10 minutes ago, Kaygooo said:

PRIME, PX,TX, GX third level from above because there is no stupid multirail

what's stupid about it?

10 minutes ago, Kaygooo said:

potentially dangerous Antec HCG, Earthwatts pro gold/platinium, ROG Strix

maybe look at sources, specifically pceva before you ask questions?

24 minutes ago, Kaygooo said:

because there is no stupid multirail

I assume over temperature protection, over current protection, over voltage protection, over power protection etc are also all stupid...? They are all protections, just like multi rail.

:)

Absolutely not, but from what you said psu with one strong single rail are bad when the PX/TX/PRIME series are absolutely top of the top when it comes to quality and it's not true that they are not suitable for systems with multiple gpu's.

1 minute ago, Kaygooo said:

Absolutely not, but from what you said psu with one strong single rail are bad when the PX/TX/PRIME series are absolutely top of the top when it comes to quality and it's not true that they are not suitable for systems with multiple gpu's.

it's a recommendation, not a requirement to have a tier a+ for a multi-gpu system

also, considering the methodology i have, and seasonic having their choice of using single rail, it's as it is

i do have the question laying around at Seasonic's R&D since June, but haven't heard much back about it ever since

5 hours ago, Kaygooo said:

3/4 of the entire list is made by oem seasonic.

37 minutes ago, Kaygooo said:

PX/TX/PRIME series are absolutely top of the top when it comes to quality

"How dare you put my precious Seasonic PSUs anywhere lower than the toppest of the top ?"

Seriously tho, look at the sources and tiering methodology, all answers are there.

And there's other PSU OEMs besides Seasonic that make a good quality units. And you can't blindly say that some company product are good quality just because they made other top quality products. That's reviews are for, to determine if it's quality product or not, that's why most units based on Seasonic Focus FX are in tier D (Antec HCG\EW & ASUS Strix).

Any reason why the Corsair RMi is in the "A+" tier and the RMx is one below in just "A"?

I thought the only difference was the CorsairLINK integration.