[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

57 minutes ago, Sat1600 said:

The rosewill capstone is a little confusing. What tier is this in?

Rosewill CAPSTONE 550M

Rosewill capstone is in Teir A, but the one linked seems different.

It is different, Rosewill made a new Capstone series with a new manufacturer, but kept a similar name. Capstone 550M to 1000M are made by Andyson.

10 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

It is different, Rosewill made a new Capstone series with a new manufacturer, but kept a similar name. Capstone 550M to 1000M are made by Andyson.

So how does it stack up?

26 minutes ago, Sat1600 said:

So how does it stack up?

Nobody tested them, so it's unknown.

Truth be told the older Capstone series currently on the list shouldn't be in any tier at all, because nobody tested its protections.

1 hour ago, OrionFOTL said:

This is really confusing ...

So there's Capstone, Capstone G and Capstone M which is manufactured by two different OEMs ? The one in tier A is Capstone 450M, the only member of lineup that stands to this tier and 550+ W units are different ?

Then the entry for tier A Capstone needs to be changed to 'Capstone 450M', not just plain 'Capstone', and there needs to be Capstone M 550W+ and Capstone (non-M\G) tiered up too ? @LukeSavenije @GoldenLag

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

5 hours ago, TheBiggestOfBuschemis said:

Does the Prime Ultra Gold 650W have the same build quality as its Titanium and Platinum counterparts? Is that why its not mentioned on the list?

Plattform is the same, the seperating factor is efficiency. 

Edit: nvm, dont mind me.

Edit2: as per @seon123 posting below. Prime Ultra gold is using the Focus plattform with some upgrades. 

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Plattform is the same, the seperating factor is efficiency. 

The Prime Ultra Gold and Platinum use the same platform as the Focus. The non-Ultra Gold and Platinum were based on the same platform as the Titanium, and did not have 550W versions.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?14942-Did-Seasonic-use-the-Focus-Plus-platform-for-their-new-lower-wattage-Prime-Ultra-s/page2&s=a563cbcba62353b1295de5a5511e82f1

:)

4 minutes ago, seon123 said:

The Prime Ultra Gold and Platinum use the same platform as the Focus.

Welp, thats a messup on my part. 

47 minutes ago, Juular said:

This is really confusing ...

So there's Capstone, Capstone G and Capstone M which is manufactured by two different OEMs ? The one in tier A is Capstone 450M, the only member of lineup that stands to this tier and 550+ W units are different ?

Then the entry for tier A Capstone needs to be changed to 'Capstone 450M', not just plain 'Capstone', and there needs to be Capstone M 550W+ and Capstone (non-M\G) tiered up too ? @LukeSavenije @GoldenLag

Very confusing for customers and reviewers alike. Let's get very specific.

The first Capstone series was made by Super Flower, using their Golden Green series of platforms. There were nonmodular and modular units, and the model names on their stickers were:

CAPSTONE-450

CAPSTONE-550

CAPSTONE-650

CAPSTONE-750

CAPSTONE-450M

CAPSTONE-550M

CAPSTONE-650M

CAPSTONE-750M

CAPSTONE-1000-M

All the model names were written with a dash. The modular units also had protruding cable sockets, and the fan grille is a circular wire grill.

Then they made Capstone G series, manufactured by Enhance Electronics, using their ATX 1500B platform for the 550-750W models and EPS1700 GT rev. 3.0 platform for the 850-1200W models. All semi modular. The model names on the stickers are:

Capstone G550

Capstone G650

Capstone G750

Capstone G850

Capstone G1000

Capstone G1200

The word Capstone is lowercase and there's no dashes or Ms anywhere. The modular sockets are recessed inside the case, and the fan grille is stamped out.

Then they made another Capstone series, just "Capstone". It's made by Andyson, and all models are semi modular. The model names on stickers are:
CAPSTONE 550M

CAPSTONE 650M

CAPSTONE 750M

CAPSTONE 850M

CAPSTONE 1000M

The word Capstone is uppercase just like in the 1st Capstone series, but there is no dash between words. The modular sockets are recessed inside the case too. Also, the Newegg page for the CAPSTONE 1000M calls it a "CAPSTONE 1000M-2", despite the sticker still saying "CAPSTONE 1000M".

Either way, thanks to the subtle differences in dashes and capitalisation in model names (and optionally visual cues), it's possible to determine which PSU is which.

1 minute ago, OrionFOTL said:

-snip-

It's as if all the companies are competing to see who can have the biggest mess in their PSU model lineup...

:)

I have a Seasonic Focus Plus Gold, and I have problems with my monitor going black when my computer is under load. I see that it has really dropped in the tier list, so could it be the cause of my shutdowns? Also, I have a GTX 980 and a Ryzen 5 1600. From my tests, my gpu and cpu aren't overheating.

31 minutes ago, francis_d132435 said:

I have a Seasonic Focus Plus Gold

when did you get the unit?

32 minutes ago, francis_d132435 said:

so could it be the cause of my shutdowns?

if you got it before january 2018, yes that could be the case. 

the units made before then had issues with the protections triggering under load of certain GPUs. what wattage is the unit?

9 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

when did you get the unit?

I got it July of 2018, so after.

10 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

the units made before then had issues with the protections triggering under load of certain GPUs. what wattage is the unit?

It's the 550W version. I see that another issue came with the newer versions.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1093286-why-you-shouldnt-buy-a-seasonic-focus-plus-goldplatinum/?tab=comments#comment-12821954

1 minute ago, francis_d132435 said:

I see that another issue came with the newer versions.

the post-fix units really shouldnt be shutting down the way you experience it. 

2 minutes ago, francis_d132435 said:

I got it July of 2018, so after.

could be leftover stock depending on how quickly the store was moving stock. 

both versions have the same serial number so its hard to know. 

3 minutes ago, francis_d132435 said:

It's the 550W version.

i would say its possible that its why its shutting down. 

what exact gtx 980 do you have?

gtx 970 strix and vega cards were among the more widespread GPUs that had issues with the pre-fix units. 

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

what exact gtx 980 do you have?

I have a EVGA GTX 980 FTW. Do you recommend I use my warranty?

47 minutes ago, francis_d132435 said:

I have a Seasonic Focus Plus Gold, and I have problems with my monitor going black when my computer is under load. I see that it has really dropped in the tier list, so could it be the cause of my shutdowns? Also, I have a GTX 980 and a Ryzen 5 1600. From my tests, my gpu and cpu aren't overheating.

Yup, exactly. Another satisfied customer :) Contact the support, i think they should ship modified cables that will somewhat fix this issue.

1 minute ago, Juular said:

Yup, exactly. Another satisfied customer :) Contact the support, i think they should ship modified cables that will somewhat fix this issue.

I contacted customer service, they sent me cables, I tried the cables, but I still got the error with my monitor losing signal.

I contacted customer service, they sent me cables, I tried the cables, but I still got the error with my monitor losing signal.

Well, i can be software issue too, have this started only recently ? For how long you had this combination of GPU & PSU ?

1 minute ago, Juular said:

Well, i can be software issue too, have this started only recently ? For how long you had this combination of GPU & PSU ?

I've had the problem since I first got both of them new. I've had both since July of 2018.

I've had the problem since I first got both of them new. I've had both since July of 2018.

Then the culprit is most likely a PSU. Did you inform the support that you still has the problem with modified cables ?

Just now, Juular said:

Then the culprit is most likely a PSU. Did you inform the support that you still has the problem with modified cables ?

I was busy with school, but I finally found some free time. I just informed them on the issue.

3 hours ago, OrionFOTL said:

Either way, thanks to the subtle differences in dashes and capitalisation in model names (and optionally visual cues), it's possible to determine which PSU is which.

Oooh, sounds like fun ! So these new Andyson based units weren't tested yet, but older Super Flower based units are solid right ? Asking because they're on sale right now and look like a good value providing they're indeed stand for tier A.

2 minutes ago, francis_d132435 said:

I was busy with school, but I finally found some free time. I just informed them on the issue.

Okay, then just work with the support, i don't see any other solution other than replacing it with either newer revision Focus Gold or other brand. It's probably long out of return window but i think they should be able to replace it with newer one if you'll insist enough.

50 minutes ago, Juular said:

Oooh, sounds like fun ! So these new Andyson based units weren't tested yet, but older Super Flower based units are solid right ? Asking because they're on sale right now and look like a good value providing they're indeed stand for tier A.

I don't see the older Super Flower units on sale anywhere, link?

This has probably been asked already, but why is the Corsair CXM 2017 a B- psu while the Corsair CX 2017 is a B+? Even though everywhere I look the CXM is just a modular CX?

1 hour ago, Nigerian Tech Support said:

This has probably been asked already, but why is the Corsair CXM 2017 a B- psu while the Corsair CX 2017 is a B+? Even though everywhere I look the CXM is just a modular CX?

because it's not

the only thing cx really shares with cxm is it's name and the factory it (partly) comes out of

topology is different, platform is different, and as cx is dualsourced between CWT and greatwall i can technically even say OEM is different