Xbox One X: Still Worth Upgrading To?

bmichaels556

For quick backstory, I got my One S about a year and a half ago and generally really like it. I've also went with a PS4 slim during that time and enjoy it quite a bit as well. What I've noticed however, is that a used or refurbished One X can basically be had for pennies on the dollar compared to it's value in my opinion. In fact, if I sell off my Xbox One S with one of the controllers, it would basically just cost me $100 to upgrade to the X. Would look tons better on my 4K TV as well. 

I actually already have a "gaming" PC, and in fact one that is very comparable to a One X. A dual Xeon X5675 w/ an OC'd RX 480. Hell, for all intents and purposes, it practically is a One X. But I'm also someone who just can't shake console gaming and still enjoy it quite a bit. Considering what it would cost for the upgrade, about $100, do you see it as being worth it? To me, it seems like a no-brainer. But the next-gen consoles aren't THAT far away. Still, I have a feeling that they won't perform radically better in the real world than a One X. And if they did, I could always sell of the X and buy the next gen console, also cutting my costs...

What are your guys' thoughts? Like I said, it seems like a no-brainer, but I'd love to hear your suggestions. 

The next gen Xbox is supose to be released next year. Though it sounds like more towards December. The PS5 is going to be released some time betwen October and December, so I figure the same for the new Xbox. 

Im waiting to see if its going to be worth it. I may upgrade to 4K TV for the console. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

For $100? Yes. Even if Scarlett comes out in a year, we don't know how the launch is going to go. It might not be something you'll be interested in for the launch price or even at all. Meanwhile X delivers a known, better experience. If you can afford to, enjoy life now.

Hmmm, there is currently no set date nor reviews on the next Xbox.  Plus, you mention you have a 4K TV.

If the hundred bucks is no issue to cover the expense, than the Xbox One X will help run the games a tad better than the Xbox One S.  Overall, it depends on you if going to the Xbox One X is worth it.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

not even worth buying one in the first place.

it's a weak HTPC with one of the worst CPUs you can actually find and less ram available for the whole System than modern GPUs have.

upgrade the PC for the money. hook it up to the TV and Press Windows+P

no need for a Console which costs Xbox Live Gold.

A year is a long time to wait. If there are any XBox One exclusives or even mutltiplats that you want to play now (and you either don't have a gaming PC that can do better or just don't want to play a particular game on it) then I would say yes, go buy one if you can afford it. YOLO.

On 10/23/2019 at 8:14 PM, Ithanul said:

If the hundred bucks is no issue to cover the expense, than the Xbox One X will help run the games a tad better than the Xbox One S.  

I'd say quite a bit more than a tad bit better.

On 10/27/2019 at 4:29 PM, K0NG said:

it's a weak HTPC with one of the worst CPUs you can actually find and less ram available for the whole System than modern GPUs have.

They are obviously into console gaming and never asked if they should consider upgrading their PC so your comment adds nothing. In fact, they said despite having a gaming PC they still enjoy playing on their console to the point they would consider upgrading to an X. So what was the point of your post?

These kind of comments are just worthless and borderline into troll territory.  Why are they even allowed? They only serve to derail the discussion.

And yes, I know, I took the bait. ?

But seriously, I know this is PC forum and all but the PC master race thing is so old lol. I know some people are all about the PC but I see no reason why people can't just enjoy playing on PC and console, like myself. 

On 10/27/2019 at 5:29 PM, K0NG said:

Thats if Windows 10 feels like working. Every update I see the posts about it stops working. While the Xbox uses the Windows 10 Kernel in its OS, it just works. You dont hear about millions of users having issues due to Microsofts lack of QA. But you do hear about PC users having loads of issues.  

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Debatable - depends on what the person values.

Outright factually incorrect - the Xbox One X has 12GB of RAM - most modern GPU's have 8GB of RAM - and those tend to be the higher end GPU's (The top tier ones come close - 11GB on the 2080 Ti - which costs not quite triple the cost of a One X).

Not always that easy, and you lose a significant amount of user friendliness by using a Windows PC on a couch - even with a controller.

I'll give you that you have to pay for XBL Gold - but it does have other benefits. 3 free games per month, and often some really good AAA ones too. That's also not counting if you spring for GamePass (which can be had for pretty cheap if you find the right ratio of converting prepaid XBL Gold cards to GamePass time).

Some people like using a PC on their living room PC - that's cool if you do, and you're willing to put up with the extra annoyances. I did for many years. Now? I just use a One S (may eventually upgrade to One X or the new one in a year or two) for Couch Gaming. It's easier, far more hassle-free, and doubles as an excellent kickass media player (YT, Netflix, etc) and Blu-Ray player.

There are pros and cons to doing both - let's not pretend like there's no value in the OP getting a One X.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)