Windows 10 November 2019 Update - Here is everything you need to know - OUT NOW!

GoodBytes
3 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Oops I meant right. Sorry. Thanks.

I think I wanted to say that the left one remains, but screwed up in my edits. Thanks!

We have one keyboard at work that literally only has the right Win key.  They replaced the left one with the "Fn" key.  As if remembering to use the right key wasn't already annoying enough.

9 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

yup it is that to me of the year.

well thats a stroke!

anyways wish me luck bois, going from 1803 to 1809, if this fails i'm backing up and moving to ltsb permently.

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

10 hours ago, circeseye said:

please dont be buggy, please dont be buggy, please dont be buggy, please dont be buggy

but that's there only perfectly functioning feature.

to err is human, to really mess things up requires an IP.

10 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Emoji keyboard keys

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 hour ago, Salv8 (sam) said:

anyways wish me luck bois, going from 1803 to 1809, if this fails i'm backing up and moving to ltsb permently.

I've been on 1809 for a couple months now.  The only issue I've had is that I just installed the 1809-09 cumulative update a few days ago, and it started hard locking my PC.  I had to remove it, now my system runs normally again.

It moved on to the 1809-10 update afterwards, but I think I'll hold off on installing that for now.

47 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

-snip-

i delay feature updates by a year and allow security updates to be downloaded and installed when they come out as they tend to be more stable then feature updates and i am also on the Semi-Annual channel and that also helps as well, these are the best options for pro if you want stability (in my case, i couldn't care less about windows ink or something, i just want a stable windows system for my work and games)

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

I'll think about installing this around Christmas :)

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

I hope the replacement of the menu key with a quick launcher for office is optional.  I use the menu key much more often than I would ever use a shortcut to Word, particularly on my laptop.  It's good for using spell check.  Without touching the mouse, I can arrow key back to what I just typed, hit menu, down, and enter to replace it with the correct word, and then continue typing more quickly than I could move my cursor over and do the same.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

22 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

? Would there be a reliable way to test? I can make sure to install 1904 on the rig I plan to build this weekend, if there's a test I can run then I can repeat it after I update to 1909. CPU will be a 10c/20t 1.70Ghz (it has no turbo) Xeon, if there's a performance increase for high core count CPUs I should notice it. 

I wonder if it's truly any high core count CPU or if they're just using that as a euphemism for modern AMD chips, and what they're doing is giving the scheduler more topology awareness.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

There's also the "favored cores" features that's supposed to favor usage of cores that are known to be better than others on a given chip:

https://www.techpowerup.com/259688/windows-10-2h19-update-to-have-favored-core-awareness-increase-single-threaded-performance

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

On 10/11/2019 at 1:53 PM, DrMacintosh said:

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Seems like favored cores only applies to Intel chips, no improvements to AMD this patch as the cpu scheduling issue is supposed to be already fixed in 1903.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Nice, great to see more polish and improvements focused update. I'm fine with features in general, more unified settings and UI like missing dark mode from certain windows would be good to see. But yeah ever other big anual update like a service pack is nice. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

On 10/11/2019 at 2:24 PM, Twilight said:

how about the entire OS? like you know, all other major desktop OS's.... 

I mean you can make the majority of the windows dark mode it's just that task manager is one of the things you can't currently. 

3 minutes ago, Tony Tony Chopper said:

Updated few weeks ago already as got tired of waiting thru insider program, haven't had a single issue surprised they did't just rush out update sooner, for me it fixes performance especially boot times.

While I can't predict the future, so far, it looks like that Microsoft is done rushing release of software and updates. Last version of Windows 10 was trickled released until they are at most sure it is good. Heck, the new Edge web browser based on Chromium... technically they can release it. It is based on final release, but nope, still in beta (although I suspect that it will be released soon for those who want it, and be part of the OS, to replace the old Edge in the following update in year 2020).

4 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

While I can't predict the future, so far, it looks like that Microsoft is done rushing release of software and updates. Last version of Windows 10 was trickled released until they are at most sure it is good. Heck, the new Edge web browser based on Chromium... technically they can release it. It is based on final release, but nope, still in beta (although I suspect that it will be released soon for those who want it, and be part of the OS, to replace the old Edge in the following update in year 2020).

when will they get rid of IE to force businesses to stop using it? lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

8 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

when will they get rid of IE to force businesses to stop using it? lol

That's an awful idea. Internet Explorer is necessary to use Intranet sites.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

The whole point is to make it so that it isn't anymore by forcing lazy companies/devs to finally make their sites work on something newer than 15 years old...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

29 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

The whole point is to make it so that it isn't anymore by forcing lazy companies/devs to finally make their sites work on something newer than 15 years old...

You know what will happen? They'll remain with Windows 7, and never upgrade.

Ooh yeah I cant wait for my shit to be broken for features I never needed.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

11 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

Actually that's backwards.  It's a good idea to get rid of it, and it's not that we need IE for these sites, it's that these sites need IE, and they need to change.  Way back when the world was just figuring out these relatively new thing called the internet and personal computers and everyone was more or less doing their own thing, IE offered some stuff that made it appealing, and so it was common for sites to develop specifically for it rather than for generally accepted and commonly compatible web standards the way things are done today.  Since then, the rest of the world has moved on for reasons of security, performance, capability, etc. but the legacy of some of these old sites, particularly when backed by thinking like this that prevents them from modernizing, is that they never changed and continue to require legacy systems like IE that by all rights should otherwise be long dead and buried by now, like a technological boat anchor.

If other things were run the way people like clinging to IE, YouTube would still be serving up 480p video in Flash Player, we'd communicate with fax machines instead of email or slack or twitter, and people would still rent movies on VHS because "those technologies are necessary to perform that action/enjoy that content".  Flash player is necessary to view Flash content.  Does that mean we should keep it around forever and continue making things use Flash rather than adopt other standard that are superior in accessibility, functionality, and performance?  Of course not.  Just because a pair of a technology and a type of content works as a pair only with each other, doesn't mean that's an excuse or a reason to stick with that paradigm forever.  It just takes a bit of effort and will to break the chain and actually make progress.  Everything else in tech has done so, it's time for this to follow as well.

11 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

Don't even want to know ho much work it will take for our IT team to move our Siebel system off IE since it's implementation and how it talks to our other systems to so heavily reliant on IE, shit is bound to break.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

21 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Don't even want to know ho much work it will take for our IT team to move our Siebel system off IE since it's implementation and how it talks to our other systems to so heavily reliant on IE, shit is bound to break.

That sounds like all the more reason they should get on it now so they've got plenty of time to test before switching over to something new.  Ignoring the issue is not really a viable long term solution and I think this is not appreciated or understood well enough.  So often I see situations where there's a policy, technology, or just a drawer of trinkets in your room that over time has grown out of control and no one really knows how it works anymore and they're too afraid to touch it in case it breaks as a result - that or they're too lazy, since just building on is always easier than doing it right, at least in the short term.  The smart thing though would be to a) avoid getting into this situation in the first place, but b) if this fails, make every effort to get yourself out of it as quickly as possible, of course without sacrificing quality in the process.  The alternative is to just keep adding more and more blocks to your jenga tower until one day it all falls apart, and then you'll really be sorry.

TL;DR, if something starts to bloat out of control, that's your cue to make changes and get it back under control.  If you don't understand your system fully, that is a huge risk.  Don't fall into the trap of "just don't touch it and hope it works forever".

On 10/15/2019 at 7:24 AM, Ryan_Vickers said:

That sounds like all the more reason they should get on it now so they've got plenty of time to test before switching over to something new.  Ignoring the issue is not really a viable long term solution and I think this is not appreciated or understood well enough.  So often I see situations where there's a policy, technology, or just a drawer of trinkets in your room that over time has grown out of control and no one really knows how it works anymore and they're too afraid to touch it in case it breaks as a result - that or they're too lazy, since just building on is always easier than doing it right, at least in the short term.  The smart thing though would be to a) avoid getting into this situation in the first place, but b) if this fails, make every effort to get yourself out of it as quickly as possible, of course without sacrificing quality in the process.  The alternative is to just keep adding more and more blocks to your jenga tower until one day it all falls apart, and then you'll really be sorry.

TL;DR, if something starts to bloat out of control, that's your cue to make changes and get it back under control.  If you don't understand your system fully, that is a huge risk.  Don't fall into the trap of "just don't touch it and hope it works forever".

That's not always possible though, where I work for example we still have CNC Mills and Robots running on Windows 95 machines because the software they rely on will literally only work on Windows 95. The company who manufactures the machines has an upgrade solution (to Windows XP) but they want over £10,000 per machine which for a machine that is over 20 years old is scandalous.

Luckily the same company is also very good at providing spares should any parts die. A few weeks back they had to replace a motherboard on the Mill because it died and the company sent a replacement board within 48 hours. Considering they're straight up retail computer parts I have no idea where they get them from.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)