Windows 10 November 2019 Update - Here is everything you need to know - OUT NOW!

GoodBytes

Back on 1909 specifically, I just allowed it to be installed on two systems. I was surprised to find on hitting reboot it did so and returned to the desktop after a short time. Did I miss something? Where's the big update thing? I had forgotten, it was probably mentioned somewhere maybe earlier in this thread, it is delivered like a monthly update and doesn't need the big refresh. It is relatively painless, at least if you're on 1903 beforehand. I assume if you're on older than that, you'd still need a big update to catch up. Some of my home systems missed 1903 for whatever reason so they'll possibly take more time to get up to date.

While I haven't used it much in anger yet, the lack of the big update thing I think means it might not have tinkered with user settings, so that's a big plus.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

8 hours ago, porina said:

Back on 1909 specifically, I just allowed it to be installed on two systems. I was surprised to find on hitting reboot it did so and returned to the desktop after a short time. Did I miss something? Where's the big update thing? I had forgotten, it was probably mentioned somewhere maybe earlier in this thread, it is delivered like a monthly update and doesn't need the big refresh. It is relatively painless, at least if you're on 1903 beforehand. I assume if you're on older than that, you'd still need a big update to catch up. Some of my home systems missed 1903 for whatever reason so they'll possibly take more time to get up to date.

While I haven't used it much in anger yet, the lack of the big update thing I think means it might not have tinkered with user settings, so that's a big plus.

I just watched mine update, took literally 5 mins or so, had to run winver afterwards to make sure it hadn't gone wrong.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

10 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I think it's even more funny how some users refuse to acknowledge issues, or do their hardest to not admit that they are caused by Microsoft.

• "It must be a driver issue. Not Microsoft's fault."
  • "It must be the user doing something they shouldn't. Not Microsoft's fault!".
  • "Microsoft changing settings the user has explicitly changed themselves? You should probably just let Microsoft decide how you use your computer. Stop trying to use your computer as you want rather than how Microsoft wants".
  • "Microsoft admits that an update deleted files for users? Nahh it didn't happen to me so it must have been a minor issue and people complaining are just whiny entitled people".
  • "There is undeniable proof that an update screwed up? Just say Windows runs on a lot of hardware so you shouldn't expect it to work every time. It's your fault for using a certain combination of hardware that Microsoft didn't account for".
  • "Users in the regular ring are getting pre-release updates installed? It's the users fault for clicking 'check for updates' and not realizing that Microsoft interprets that as 'I want to be a tester for unreleased software' because clearly that is completely logical and anyone who has issues because of it only have themselves to blame, not Microsoft".

On my computer I've had a few issues with Windows updates. All of them have been acknowledged as bugs or design choices from Microsoft themselves. For example settings being reset after updates (still remember how GoodBytes called me a liar about that), or the DHCP service not working, and programs being automatically uninstalled such as AnyConnect and CCleaner.

But other computers I've seen have had other issues. For example the start menu breaking seemed to be a fairly common issue in the early days of Windows 10.

I am getting pretty sick and tired of Microsoft apologists always deflecting and never acknowledging that sometimes the updates break things for people, and the blame should be on Microsoft, not the user. Why do you people even think that Microsoft decided to make this a "polish update" focusing on fixing bugs and issues, rather than push out more and more features like they have done in the past? Why do you think previous updates had to be pulled and re-released several times? Why do you think this update has been delayed?

Because they have finally (hopefully) learned that they can't just keep running on this strict and short deadline for feature updates on a OS like Windows. It's way too much spaghetti code and hacks in the background, that not even Microsoft themselves understand these days.

I am not going to opologise for not have problems with windows.  If you want to call me a liar then call me a liar for something i have actually said that can be proven wrong.   Making a list of reasons you have heard for why windows updates fail is not the same thing as people saying they never fail. 

It would be more accurate to say I am getting sick of MS haters constantly denying the reality of the system and trying to conflate every issue as being both avoidable and the intentional than to accuse people who genuinely haven't had many issues of being an apologist. 

You nor anyone else has managed to find statistics to actually prove the number of updates issues windows has is higher than any other OS.   I know you want to use the excuse you can't get those statistics, but the reality is the burden of proof lays on those making the claims. You claim windows has serious update problems that are worse than other OS's (I say this because you are attacking me for claiming somewhat erroneously I am doing the opposite if this), therefore you must provide evidence that is so.  

If you think I should prove something is not happening just because you think it is then you don't fully understand the burden of proof.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

The last time I looked at windows 10 was when it came out.  It had serious spyware problems.  I stuck with 8.1.  Did they fix that yet?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

58 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The last time I looked at windows 10 was when it came out.  It had serious spyware problems.  I stuck with 8.1.  Did they fix that yet?

There was never spyware, and you have the same telemetry data collection than under Windows 8.x. The big difference, is that under Windows 8, you needed a team of lawyers to understand the privacy policy, and Windows 10 it is written in plain English.

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

There was never spyware, and you have the same telemetry data collection than under Windows 8.x. The big difference, is that under Windows 8, you needed a team of lawyers to understand the privacy policy, and Windows 10 it is written in plain English.

Ah.  So 8.1 is as bad as 10 is. :/  they merely admitted what they were doing in a legible way.

No improvements though?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Microsoft finally removed the stupid nag when switching default browsers from the looks of it...

Is there ANY way I can prevent notifications or updates from pulling focus away from a browser window?

I ask because I sleep with Youtube running on auto-play, and occasionally something dings and it pulls the focus from Youtube (even in full screen) and kills the autoplay.

I used to sleep with the TV on, so this is what I do now. Usually on low volume.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

1909 took maybe 4 min to install. explorer got updated...comp shuts down and restarts faster. other then that i dont see anything different with 1909. no issues or quirks

Made my own thread about it, but nobody has mentioned that the matching update for MS Office with this basically bricks MS Access? Maybe it's only my archaic workplace where that's a relevant problem.

I was curious and planning to try it on my laptop that is more or less an unused clean install so nothing to lose, but even after clicking "check for updates" it didn't find it.  Fair enough, perhaps they haven't tested that hardware yet, I'll just force it manually using the update tool... nope.  The site claims it's not out until the 18th

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/3159635/windows-10-update-assistant

image.thumb.png.da38a128a36815d5f78303fc4445548c.png

What's with that?  So, is it actually not out yet then?

Somewhat unrelated, I also just realized that this is supposedly supposed to have been the September update and well...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

13 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

The site claims it's not out until the 18th

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/3159635/windows-10-update-assistant

image.thumb.png.da38a128a36815d5f78303fc4445548c.png

What's with that?  So, is it actually not out yet then?

I got mine to 1909 just two days ago. The laptop I'm currently using is an i3 Kaby Lake so I guess Kaby Lake and onward have faster roll outs. However, the 1909 update appeared to me as an optional update and since no one complains about it, I figured why not.

image.png.853db0ac237890f7ed72ebc7c9ddf482.png

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

2 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

I got mine to 1909 just two days ago. The laptop I'm currently using is an i3 Kaby Lake so I guess Kaby Lake and onward have faster roll outs. However, the 1909 update appeared to me as an optional update and since no one complains about it, I figured why not.

The thing is I understand that rollouts are staggered and some hardware gets it much later but from release day you should be able to force it on any machine using that tool

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

13 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

image.png.853db0ac237890f7ed72ebc7c9ddf482.png

Mine is also listed as an optional update.  I do not do them though. I leave the update system alone and let it decide which updates to install. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I got the feature update offered on my 1607 installation this morning. All previous in-place updates failed for me including the 1607 update (hence why I clean-installed 1607 and was still on it) so I'll admit to a little trepidation when I clicked "update now", but 45 minutes later my computer booted up into 1909 (build 18363.476).

Previous update issues were mainly the new OS not being found by the Windows bootloader.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

On 11/15/2019 at 8:54 AM, Trik'Stari said:

Is there ANY way I can prevent notifications or updates from pulling focus away from a browser window?

I ask because I sleep with Youtube running on auto-play, and occasionally something dings and it pulls the focus from Youtube (even in full screen) and kills the autoplay.

I used to sleep with the TV on, so this is what I do now. Usually on low volume.

Enable the "focus assistant" or whatever it's called in the English version? That's basically the "do not disturb", disables notifications. Or just put youtube full screen since it auto-enables by default when something is in full screen.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

I just updated my computer and my USB 3.1 ports stopped working, which meant my keyboard and mouse stopped working.

Capture.PNG.447ce63f5fdeb5a4dce31f4d3ae3c4a8.PNG

Luckily I got some ports through the ASMedia controller because otherwise I don't know what I would have done. The ports work in BIOS and from a Ubuntu Live CD so it's definitely a problem with Windows.

Anyone else with an AMD chipset having these issues?

Check for an AMD chipset driver update?

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

52 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Check for an AMD chipset driver update?

Updating the drivers through Windows update got rid of the warning triangle in device manager, but the ports still doesn't work for some reason.

All the drivers on my motherboard vendor's website just says they are for Windows 7 as well, not Windows 10 since you're suppose to use Microsoft's driver for that (the built in one).

When I manually tell Windows to update that driver through device manager it says it already has the best one installed, and it's from 2019-06-19.

Edit: Tried installing the updates from Gigabyte's website and it made no difference. All but ~2 USB ports on my computer are dead when inside Windows. Not even the front USB ports work.

7 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Updating the drivers through Windows update got rid of the warning triangle in device manager, but the ports still doesn't work for some reason.

All the drivers on my motherboard vendor's website just says they are for Windows 7 as well, not Windows 10 since you're suppose to use Microsoft's driver for that (the built in one).

When I manually tell Windows to update that driver through device manager it says it already has the best one installed, and it's from 2019-06-19.

How about uninstalling the driver, restart the system and get the drivers again (just to rule out the basics).

15 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Get the latest chipset driver package from AMD's site.

The only AMD related USB problem I've had is that AMD doesn't support Zen 2 with Win7 any more, even if you use older chipset that was supported for Win7. CPU driven USB wont work, although chipset driven USB still does, but that's probably not applicable for this thread...

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

26 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

How about uninstalling the driver, restart the system and get the drivers again (just to rule out the basics).

I was going to do that, but I won't. I just tried uninstalling the AMD USB 3.1 controller driver and after about 15 minutes of staring at the progress bar I decided to try and unplug and plug my keyboard and mouse back in. When I did that (driver still uninstalling) they no longer worked in any port.

So I freaked out and did a hard reset on my computer in the middle of uninstalling the driver (I am pretty sure the uninstall process failed because it shouldn't take 15 minutes to uninstall a driver) and now my keyboard and mouse works in two ports again, and my USB 3.1 host controller has the warning triangle in device manager again.

But something is wrong with two out of the 3 USB controllers on my computer, despite Windows only saying there is a problem with 1 of them.

There are only 2 USB ports on my computer that works, and I am pretty sure those are the ASMedia ones (the manual sadly don't specify which are which).

Something else I noticed is that when I plug my keyboard into one of the no-functional ports I get the Windows sound telling me I plugged something in, then after a few seconds I hear the sound of something being unplugged, then a few seconds later the plug-in sound again, etc etc. So it seems like Windows recognizes that something is plugged in, and then it doesn't, and then it recognizes it again, and so on.

Am I the only one having these issues? Maybe I should make a thread in the troubleshooting forum instead.

23 minutes ago, porina said:

Get the latest chipset driver package from AMD's site.

The only AMD related USB problem I've had is that AMD doesn't support Zen 2 with Win7 any more, even if you use older chipset that as supported for Win7. CPU driven USB wont work, although chipset driven USB still does, but that's probably not applicable for this thread...

I've tried installing the latest chipset drivers but it made no difference. I am not even sure those drivers include the USB drivers. It says they do for the Windows 7 version but they don't mention it on the Windows 10 version.

3 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I was going to do that, but I won't. I just tried uninstalling the AMD USB 3.1 controller driver and after about 15 minutes of staring at the progress bar I decided to try and unplug and plug my keyboard and mouse back in. When I did that (driver still uninstalling) they no longer worked in any port.

So I freaked out and did a hard reset on my computer in the middle of uninstalling the driver (I am pretty sure the uninstall process failed because it shouldn't take 15 minutes to uninstall a driver) and now my keyboard and mouse works in two ports again, and my USB 3.1 host controller has the warning triangle in device manager again.

I've tried installing the latest chipset drivers but it made no difference. I am not even sure those drivers include the USB drivers. It says they do for the Windows 7 version but they don't mention it on the Windows 10 version.

So might be best to post in the feedback hub, and do a roll back. I see others complaining on USB 3.0 ports, but has 0 details on it... maybe they meant 3.1 instead of 3.0 so it isn't clear.

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

So might be best to post in the feedback hub, and do a roll back. I see others complaining on USB 3.0 ports, but has 0 details on it... maybe they meant 3.1 instead of 3.0 so it isn't clear.

Doesn't seem like that will work either. The option to rollback to a previous version is grayed out even though I updated yesterday, and I still have the Windows.old in C:.

So I guess I am fucked and will have to make due with only 2 USB ports for the foreseeable future.

Capture.thumb.PNG.6732662717ed1706e7623ec1204d48b2.PNG

4 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Doesn't seem like that will work either. The option to rollback to a previous version is grayed out even though I updated yesterday, and I still have the Windows.old in C:.

So I guess I am fucked and will have to make due with only 2 USB ports for the foreseeable future.

Hmm intresting. This may have to do with the update being very small, and not a full on version release. It something I need to see on my work computer (as it isn't on Insider program) once the Update Assistance is released or the version is out for it.. whichever comes first.

The other option is to do a System Restore (go back in time) before the update.