Absolute best CPU for a maximum of $450?

Hi I am trying to find a good CPU for a gaming set up since my cpu recently died, I don't know if I should get amd or intel

what is the best gpu I can get for a price around 400$?

Just now, ClippTube said:

Sorry that was a spelling mistake on the last line, @Slottr I am currently looking for a new CPU

Gotcha. I'd get a 3700x.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

7 minutes ago, ClippTube said:

Hi I am trying to find a good CPU for a gaming set up since my cpu recently died, I don't know if I should get amd or intel

Does the $450 include the cost of the motherboard? Or new RAM if your old RAM is not compatible with the new CPU?

Which system do you currently have?
What makes you think the CPU died? CPUs failing is rare (outside of physical damage). Might be something else that is causing your issues or something that can be fixed.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

I would've said i9-9900K strictly for gaming or Ryzen 3900X for gaming and other tasks, but those will be a bit over your budget, unless you find a good deal.

So, it's got to be the 3700X, which is also a fair bit below $450 thankfully, so you could almost fit into the $450 budget the motherboard as well (Asus TUF X570-Plus or even a good B450 board will do).

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

@Spotty Believe it is my CPU that has failed because my graphics card is working fine, I have tried another set of ram and the pc andstill fails, I have installed windows 10 from usb on both a HDD and SSD still failed ( would not assume both would be corrupted), so that really only leaves the CPU 

I also did an intel diagnostics test, and failed on various things like prime number. 

SPECS:

i7 7700k 

GTX 1080 (cannot remember full details)

HX750i psu

2x8gb RAM ddr4

--

price does not include motherboard, but am looking for a motherboard also (if getting a new cpu)

I can get a 3800x for about 30-50$ more than 3700x, is there much difference?

2 minutes ago, ClippTube said:

Believe it is my CPU that has failed because my graphics card is working fine, I have tried another set of ram and the pc andstill fails, I have installed windows 10 from usb on both a HDD and SSD still failed ( would not assume both would be corrupted), so that really only leaves the CPU 

System doesn't boot at all or some other issue?
Was your CPU overclocked at all?

SPECS:

i7 7700k 

GTX 1080 (cannot remember full details)

HX750i psu

2x8gb RAM ddr4

You could reuse the DDR4 memory, but if you change CPUs you will need to change motherboards as well.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Not so much difference. But price difference is small.

Better put the money to a good GPU and motherboard.

I edit my posts more often than not

@Spotty PC does boot to the desktop, then randomly crashes, and displays a variety of errors linking to hardware.

I believe CPU was not overclocked

I am aware that the motherboard will have to be changed, but I am fine with that.

I can't think of much else that would go wrong with the pc (hardware), motherboard is in relatively good shape...

Anyways is 3700x the recommendation then? 

15 minutes ago, ClippTube said:

PC does boot to the desktop, then randomly crashes, and displays a variety of errors linking to hardware.

I believe CPU was not overclocked

Next time it crashes if you grab the error code it gives you it might be able to give you some more information about what is causing the crashes. Feel free to post the error code here and we may be able to identify it.

29 minutes ago, ClippTube said:

No, not really much difference between the two. You're better off saving the money with the 3700X.

Here's a review comparing the two CPUs:

Most of the time it just crashes and no error code is displayed. Will let y'all know when one comes up

Had a system service exception on start up, doubt its corrupted files as have installed windows on two disk drives, had these errors before

Ryzen 7 3700X is what I'd suggest and def over the 3800X.  

CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core  Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming RAM G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  GPU EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB XC ULTRA Case Phanteks Enthoo Luxe 2 ATX Full Tower Case Storage Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive & Samsung EVO 850 500gb x 2 in RAID  PSU EVGA SuperNOVA 1000W P2  Display LG 34UM95-P IPS 34" Ultra Wide monitor 3440x1440 & Samsung C32HG70 31.5" 2560x1440 144 Hz Cooling CUSTOM RIGID TUBE WATER LOOP 

54 minutes ago, ClippTube said:

dpc_watchdog violation

STOP you violated the law, pay the court a fine or serve your sentence /s anyways there is a number code on that

Just now, ClippTube said:

Let me try to get the error again @redbread123

There should be something with a # and some string of numbers and letters google that and it will tell you your issue