Google responds to Apple Arcade: GooglePlay Pass

suicidalfranco

Looking for some heavy-duty gaming experience on your android device?

Google's got you covered. Just like Apple Google is bringing a subscription service where you get access to a librabry of games (currently 350) without any ads or in app purchases. Similarly to Apple Arcade it will cost you 4,99$/month, it will currently be available on in the US with more countries coming up later.

As stated by xda there is a promotion where you can get it for 1,99$/month for a year and upped to 4,99 afterwards. It will also offer 10 day free trial to see if you're young and hip enough to be a "hardcore" mobile gamer.

Spoiler

Games like Risk, Stardew Valley, Terraria, Monument Valley, Risk, Facetune, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, LIMBO, Lichtspeer, Mini Metro, Old Man’s Journey are set to be available through Play Pass, as well as apps like AccuWeather. You’ll be able to check out apps available through this subscription model through a dedicated Play Pass tab in the Google Play Store. Additionally, apps and games available through Play Pass will be identified with a Play Pass “ticket”, and will be completely unlocked for you to download and check out. More options will be added to the section every month, with titles like This War of Mine and Cytus coming soon as well.

Play Pass is coming to the  U.S. this week at a price of $4.99/month price, with availability extending to more countries soon. You’ll also be able to get a 10-day free trial to see whether it’s worth it for you or not. For a limited time, you’ll be able to get Play Pass for $1.99 a month for 12 months, after which you’ll start paying the normal $4.99 subscription. Family managers can share their Play Pass subscription with up to five other family members, and each family member can access Play Pass individually, so experiences within the family will remain unaffected by what others have downloaded.

Source: https://www.xda-developers.com/google-play-pass-monthly-subscription-store-apps-games/

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Pass. Yes... hard Pass.

So, no originals?

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

These subscriptions just aren't worth it for mobile games. They just aren't good enough, most of the nice ones are free anyway. 

56 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

Ah yes, my favourite mobile game.

seems like it gives also access to paid/premium apps and not just games

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

1 minute ago, Blademaster91 said:

Access to paid/premium apps to try is nice,but meh i'd rather buy games.

frankly i've already paid for all the apps i might need so it's definitely not for me

so it's like that Nintendo online NES thing but without the Nintendo or NES and it's on android and is mostly filled with crappy apps and games?

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

7 minutes ago, Salv8 (sam) said:

so it's like that Nintendo online NES thing but without the Nintendo or NES and it's on android and is mostly filled with crappy apps and games?

well... terraria and stardew valley are there 

To they basically just give you access to the trash that is already on Google Play Store, without bothering to make any games that are actually worth playing?

That's quite a weak response.

2 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

well... terraria and stardew valley are there 

they are also on PC and can be bought for like $10 each and you can keep them forever.

i've said it in the past, subscription based gaming will not work, if the game is taken off it's gone forever, unlike steam where valve can keep the game up for those who bought it.

not that perfect of a solution but i don't think people want a "Scott Pilgrim vs the world: the video game" pulled again.

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

5 hours ago, floofer said:

These subscriptions just aren't worth it for mobile games. They just aren't good enough, most of the nice ones are free anyway. 

If it gave incentive to put together better quality mobile games (and provide the option for a subscription, or buying the game outright), I'd be all for it. Good quality mobile games are few and far between, which is a shame as modern mobile hardware can get us some pretty competent visuals nowadays.

While I can definitely pick out visual flaws in this game (lack of dynamic shadows), Asphalt 9 definitely doesn't look like it would be out of place from really late PS3/360 games, and this is running on a device from 2016. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

But I could just download them off dubious play store mirrors?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

I'm glad services like this are becoming common. For too long mobile has been a wasteland of greedy microtransaction riddled titles. Developers simply chasing trends for quick cash grabs. It can be hard to distinguish quality mobile titles from the rest so hopefully Google Play Pass and Apple Arcade can achieve this.

22 minutes ago, ZacoAttaco said:

I'm glad services like this are becoming common. For too long mobile has been a wasteland of greedy microtransaction riddled titles. Developers simply chasing trends for quick cash grabs. It can be hard to distinguish quality mobile titles from the rest so hopefully Google Play Pass and Apple Arcade can achieve this.

You're a regular optimist, aren't you?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

5 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

You're a regular optimist, aren't you?

I'll take that as a compliment haha ?

5 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

If it gave incentive to put together better quality mobile games (and provide the option for a subscription, or buying the game outright), I'd be all for it. Good quality mobile games are few and far between, which is a shame as modern mobile hardware can get us some pretty competent visuals nowadays.

While I can definitely pick out visual flaws in this game (lack of dynamic shadows), Asphalt 9 definitely doesn't look like it would be out of place from really late PS3/360 games, and this is running on a device from 2016. 

If I remember asphalt was free though. I could see more of a use if it was like a ‘season pass’ or something, where you pay a subscription for in-app purchases.

i mean if you do want to play paid games over the price of $5 often i'd say go for it. i would probs just get it for 1 month and try it if i actually had time

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

Not sure where I stand on this... on the one hand you would be able to try out paid apps for a relatively low price compared to the actual prices and in-app purchases, and on the other hand the offerings could be riddled with crap titles that makes it's value not worth it.

For someone new to Android, I think it'd be worth it though, maybe that's their target demographic?

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

7 hours ago, floofer said:

If I remember asphalt was free though. I could see more of a use if it was like a ‘season pass’ or something, where you pay a subscription for in-app purchases.

I just used Asphault as an example of modern phone capabilities. Not necessarily because it is the glowing example of how a game should be.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…