Petabyte Project is FULL! Time to upgrade...

That didn't take long - A whole Petabyte of storage is now completely full, so come along for the ride while we deploy a band-aid solution!

Buy Seagate IronWolf Pro hard drives:
On Amazon: https://geni.us/PSstrc
On Newegg: https://lmg.gg/8KVmr

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

Well that didnt take long lol 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

Can we please talk about Ceph now? 

Scaling your storage within a single chassis isn't going to cut it for long, and is going to grow exponentially in cost... Not to mention the advantages for for redundancy, expandability and disaster recovery (not that COW snapshots work great with the churn on large video files, but it is still way better than RAID and ZFS options) 

Edit: Somehow missed they were using GlusterFS the first watch. I'm really confused at as to why they would run GlusterFS on top of ZFS? This sounds like more layers than needed and very inefficient, but maybe I am missing something? 

Edited by chaosaffe

5 minutes ago, chaosaffe said:

Scaling your storage within a single chassis isn't going to cut it for long, and is going to grow exponentially in cost...

think he said seagate sent them the drives so free is pretty cheap

Your lack of backup must be a little worrying. You should honestly consider an LTO-8 tape library. While tapes sound like a retro step, with LTO-8 now at 30TB it works out quite cheap. The bonus is you can take backups and store them off-site covering you in event of fire, flood or theft.

Re 7:25 ... What the hell were those 45 drive guys thinking with that mess of wires and connectors at the bottom?

Making circuit boards is super cheap these days, so they could have bought the actual SATA connectors and make some modular boards (for example one board with 5 SATA connectors, 9-12 boards per server for 45-60 drives)... if there's a failure then just replace a modular board, and you get a single power connector for all five drives, and all SATA connectors are at the same distance from the controller and so on.

This solution is probably even more expensive, as they have to make all those cables with molex connectors go to the power supply.

So ugly...

Remember the 60TB SSD from Seagate at CES two years ago? 

Hypothetically you can get 3.6 PB of RAW storage in 4U space with ease if you fill a single Storinator XL60 with such drive.

But it's 2019 now and they still haven't shipped a single drive. Bummer.

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

34 minutes ago, Phill104 said:

Your lack of backup must be a little worrying. You should honestly consider an LTO-8 tape library. While tapes sound like a retro step, with LTO-8 now at 30TB it works out quite cheap. The bonus is you can take backups and store them off-site covering you in event of fire, flood or theft.

They explored the idea of tape drives in a video. I believe Linus resolved that it was a good idea but would take forever due to the sheer volume of the data.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

1 hour ago, GabenJr said:

That didn't take long - A whole Petabyte of storage is now completely full, so come along for the ride while we deploy a band-aid solution!

Buy Seagate IronWolf Pro hard drives:
On Amazon: https://geni.us/PSstrc
On Newegg: https://lmg.gg/8KVmr

Band aid? We You need holographic storage alreadies. :P

You should definitely put the water cooled server at the top of the rack. Warm air rises so air at the top will be cooler than air at the bottom of the rack. Putting it at the top will also help cool the stuff below in case of a major leak or other failure with the loop giving you gravity fed water cooling solution. Your insurance might even lower your deductible.

:D:D:D:D  :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Dude, my TV station where I work uses almost 77TB in dual for preparation and air on their central shared storage (ingest and playback) (but still uses SD and DV25 for some projects, we should update our infrastructure for HD very soon) and use SGL for LTO archive, you are over killing it  ?. I hope that you guys are preparing for real archiving solutions like LTFS.

Edited by zezam krizu

Just now, Daniel644 said:

Project NOT gonna finish watching because you can't STOP SHILLING THE MERCH. #ReportedForSpamToYoutube

Dam bro ?? how could a company shill their own merch... ? ? it's just infuriating to see a company trying to make money without being forced to live off of 3rd party sponsors ? ? ?

If they just never payed any of their employees we could have completely ad-free content! ???

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

Dam bro ?? how could a company shill their own merch... ? ? it's just infuriating to see a company trying to make money without being forced to live off of 3rd party sponsors ? ? ?

If they just never payed any of their employees we could have completely ad-free content! ???

THATS what the adspots at the beginning and end that are edited out for Floatplane subscribers are for, stopping dead in your tracks to shill merch ruining the whole flow of EVERY VIDEO POSTED for the last month is amount to TROLLING not trying to make sales.

If TV increased commercials by 50% so that an hour long TV show is now only 35 minutes and commercials are 25 minutes would you be OK with that? because it's the same damn thing as Linus adding a 3rd advertisement to every video. it completely interupts the flow of the video, it's outside of the traditional adspots and now brings him up to 3 adspots where all the other techtubers are 1 maybe 2 and they keep them limited to the beginning or end like a gentlemen, this is Truman Show level advertising. I frankly can't believe you are defending a companies advertising policy, you should want ads to be as minimal as needed to be, not defending the addition of a third ad break.

7 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

THATS what the adspots at the beginning and end that are edited out for Floatplane subscribers are for, stopping dead in your tracks to shill merch ruining the whole flow of EVERY VIDEO POSTED for the last month is amount to TROLLING not trying to make sales.

If TV increased commercials by 50% so that an hour long TV show is now only 35 minutes and commercials are 25 minutes would you be OK with that? because it's the same damn thing as Linus adding a 3rd advertisement to every video. it completely interupts the flow of the video, it's outside of the traditional adspots and now brings him up to 3 adspots where all the other techtubers are 1 maybe 2 and they keep them limited to the beginning or end like a gentlemen, this is Truman Show level advertising. I frankly can't believe you are defending a companies advertising policy, you should want ads to be as minimal as needed to be, not defending the addition of a third ad break.

I hate the ads on TV, it's why I don't have TV at home, just use Netflix, Prime Video, and Crunchyroll. I've never really been bothered by any ad hardbaked into a YouTube video, since I can just slapp that arrow key to jump 10 seconds at a time into a future where that ad is nonexistent, and the company still makes their monies. 

Ads are edited out for Floatplane subs because they're paying for that convenience (and also early vids and some exclusive content and stuff). 

Where is this horrible shilling at? I've scrubbed through the vid like 7 times and can't find anywhere the entire video stops to shill merch. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

2 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

I hate the ads on TV, it's why I don't have TV at home, just use Netflix, Prime Video, and Crunchyroll. I've never really been bothered by any ad hardbaked into a YouTube video, since I can just slapp that arrow key to jump 10 seconds at a time into a future where that ad is nonexistent, and the company still makes their monies. 

Ads are edited out for Floatplane subs because they're paying for that convenience (and also early vids and some exclusive content and stuff). 

Where is this horrible shilling at? I've scrubbed through the vid like 7 times and can't find anywhere the entire video stops to shill merch. 

4:04 is the timestamp I stopped at, he literally stops what he is doing to show off the jacket and a card pops in taking up the left 3rd of the screen, it's completely distracting and makes his videos unwatchable, it's impossible to predict which moment in a video he will do this unlike the other adspots and frankly it's just a scummy thing to do, are the intro and outro adspots not enough? if not TELL US, don't just ad a third adspot and ignore your viewers when they say something about it. You also never know how long these spots will be and so going willy nilly on the skip may make you miss something important, eitherway it's a massive distraction and causes viewers with certain medical conditions (like ADHD for example) to lose focus on whats happening in the video, in short it's a dick move and nothing but a cashgrab that is driving away viewers, if the merch was this good it wouldn't need to be advertised this heavily.

2 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

-snip-

? Damn, sorry to hear that him mentioning a jacket for 5 seconds (4:03-4:08) is such a big issue, especially considering it doesn't even break the flow of what he was saying (it's a quick little blurb amid the extremely engrossing and very exciting activity that is writing on HDDs with sharpies). 

Main PC 

5 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

? Damn, sorry to hear that him mentioning a jacket for 5 seconds (4:03-4:08) is such a big issue, especially considering it doesn't even break the flow of what he was saying (it's a quick little blurb amid the extremely engrossing and very exciting activity that is writing on HDDs with sharpies). 

just because it doesn't distract you doesn't mean it doesn't distract others. and besides buddy I was addressing LMG via the forum here, this was not meant to be something for everyone with an opinion to sound off on, just because you don't care doesn't give you the right to bully other people for saying something. This isn't a one time thing, this has been going on for weeks and I've been forced to stop watching the videos because of it.

1 minute ago, Daniel644 said:

just because it doesn't distract you doesn't mean it doesn't distract others. and besides buddy I was addressing LMG via the forum here

DM the LMG team then, if I have something I don't want anyone else weighing in on, I don't put it on a public forum. 

4 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

this was not meant to be something for everyone with an opinion to sound off on

That's what public threads on public forums are for...

5 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

just because you don't care doesn't give you the right to bully other people for saying something.

To be fair, I may be going a bit hard with the memeing, but the point I'm trying to make is that you're overexaggerating to the point of hilarity. It's a 5 second mention of the clothes he literally has on his person, with an amusing and well-timed segway, that doesn't actually break the flow of anything. He leads in from a finished statement, basically over b-roll now since nothing of consequence was happening at the time, and it's followed by a cut to him back on topic after the labeling is done and he's now stacking the HDDs (pretty standard to either cut past or time-lapse mundane stuff in videos). 

Slapping in a natural feeling and well timed mention of a product in between a finished task and a standard cut to the next step isn't jarring or terrible business practices at all. If you feel that breaks the flow or is visually distracting, please don't ever watch any post-Bourne era action movies because they have much more aggressive cuts and segways into other parts of the story (many will purposely cut from one location to an entirely different one, with the intention of jarring you). 

Main PC 

4 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

DM the LMG team then, if I have something I don't want anyone else weighing in on, I don't put it on a public forum. 

That's what public threads on public forums are for...

To be fair, I may be going a bit hard with the memeing, but the point I'm trying to make is that you're overexaggerating to the point of hilarity. It's a 5 second mention of the clothes he literally has on his person, with an amusing and well-timed segway, that doesn't actually break the flow of anything. He leads in from a finished statement, basically over b-roll now since nothing of consequence was happening at the time, and it's followed by a cut to him back on topic after the labeling is done and he's now stacking the HDDs (pretty standard to either cut past or time-lapse mundane stuff in videos). 

Slapping in a natural feeling and well timed mention of a product in between a finished task and a standard cut to the next step isn't jarring or terrible business practices at all. If you feel that breaks the flow or is visually distracting, please don't ever watch any post-Bourne era action movies because they have much more aggressive cuts and segways into other parts of the story (many will purposely cut from one location to an entirely different one, with the intention of jarring you). 

but this is the thread for the video so it's the place to put it, YOU are the one that feels the need to interject your opinion into it and you are now joining my ignore list.

I recommend not putting red at the bottom of a thumbnail, otherwise someone might think they'd already watched the video.

Why don't you just delete any footage older than 2 years? Do you really need stuff that old like, on site rather than in some data center back up place?

465145837_WatchTime.jpg.fd18ed3ab514512cfe937ad0555819f7.jpg

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

20 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

just because it doesn't distract you doesn't mean it doesn't distract others. and besides buddy I was addressing LMG via the forum here, this was not meant to be something for everyone with an opinion to sound off on, just because you don't care doesn't give you the right to bully other people for saying something. This isn't a one time thing, this has been going on for weeks and I've been forced to stop watching the videos because of it.

You can reach out to LTT by... reaching out to LTT.  What you did was shout at the top of your lungs in the middle of the public square

not meant to be something for everyone with an opinion to sound off on

Omo, that's the point of a forum dude.  A place to share thoughts, advice and opinions with the other forum dwellers.  By posting anything on a forum you are implicitly agreeing to get responses, whether you want them or not

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

7 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

but this is the thread for the video so it's the place to put it, YOU are the one that feels the need to interject your opinion into it and you are now joining my ignore list.

So basically you block people because they counter your opinion with their own? What kind of assbackwards logic is that?

And you can't even handle a business trying to support themselves with their own merch for a little bit each video, which is just incredible. God forbid a company tries to pay the bills and the employees with something of theirs.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)